Start by marking “Jack of Thieves (The Master Thief #1)” as Want to Read:
Jack of Thieves (The Master Thief #1)

Jack of Thieves

(The Master Thief #1)

The Thieves Guild is renowned for their ability to steal anything. Its elite members have robbed nobles of wealth, reputation, and even their honor. The Guildmaster rules them with brutality and fear, yet his name and past are a mystery. From the depths of the Evermist swamp he seeks a master thief, one who can help him reclaim his lost power.

Young and brash, Jack Myst ha
Published July 11th 2016 by Snowlight Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jack of Thieves, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

TS Chan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I have a weakness for stories about thieves in the fantasy genre. So I couldn't resist trying out this trilogy with the recent 3-month Kindle Unlimited promotion, to ease myself back into reading fantasy after taking a fairly long break (by my standards).

Jack of Thieves is a fun and decent read, albeit with predictable plotlines and some usual plot devices. There are some irksome repetition of certain words though, as well as some typos which is fairly common for self-published, and even some t
RC1140
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sadly a very generic thief themed tale , the crossing of thief with a druid was quite badly executed as well with it only serving to drive the story forward when required. Only reason it wasnt a 1 star is because it delivers on the thief story as you would expect. So if you want a generic thief tale without any build up of increase in skill/power , this is for you.
Lillian
Jack of Thieves by Ben Hale is an exciting adventure through the land of Lumineia that follows a young man on his quest to avenge his mother’s death. My husband has been after me for a long time to read these books, and I’m glad I’ve finally started. It’s fast-paced with fantastic characters and an incredible world. I can’t wait to learn more!

Jack is not quite the hero of the tale, but not a bad guy either. He’s a thief with a conscience….kinda. He’s cocky, arrogant, and charming when he wants t
Leserling /Belana
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this audio book in a give-away. I had entered said give-away because I like fantasy stories, and because I enjoy Derek Perkins' narration. I've listened to many hours of another series narrated by Derek Perkins, and it is like listening to a friend now.

I really enjoyed the story. There are guilds (something I've always been fascinated with), there's magic, there's friendship, and betrayal,and, of course, there is a mystery to solve and probably the world to rescue.

Jack has to learn to wo
Marshall Clowers
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jack. How to describe Jack? Right away I got the idea that Jack was young, full of himself, and had something to prove. As it turns out he has his reasons.

Jack has a list of people he has to deal with and the only way to get close to them is to become a member of the thieves guild. He's playing a dangerous game and the penalty for failure can be pretty swift (if he's lucky). Gaining access to the guild, picking up some sidekicks, plus a love interest; it's an adventure. It's lot of fun too.

I di
Elizabeth Fantham
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of my all time favorite authors.

Ben Hale has very entertaining, clean writing. Great world building, FANTASTIC characters. They feel real! You will miss reading them!!! Yes that is how awesome.

When I think of some of the best fantasy authors ever, I think Ben could get there. Like he would be the author to write some books and then boom! His books sell out everywhere from some absolute awesome series he puts out.

Jack of Thieves is everything you want in an adventure/fantasy seri
Sara Kirby
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
In all technical aspects, this is a pretty good book. The pace is great, the plot compelling, and the storytelling lively. What falls flat for me are the characters. Although most of the characters are well into adulthood, they seem more like unruly teenagers wreaking havoc at their high school than highly skilled and dangerous thieves.
Rachel
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book started off well and I was excited by just the first chapter. However the book quickly fell flat for me. The main character was just awful. I get that he is supposed to be arrogant and cock sure of himself, but he took it to a stupid extreme. When he scoffs at the idea of putting on an elf persona. Or when he refused to put on a persona for the heist on the cliff aide palace. How they went into that job with NO plan. I was astounded by how stupid the characters were and the awful plot. ...more
Kat Campbell
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jack is a little annoying

It’s a very surface level book. This is a nice quick read with very one-dimensional characters. The pace is very quick, which isn’t a bad thing, but it would be nice if some action scenes were more in-depth. Lastly, Jack, as a character is super annoying. His only attitude is sarcastic smart-ass and then he’s this super amazing thief. I wish the author showed Jack with some more non-smart ass dimension. It became a bit off putting at times.

All that being said, the plot
Mary
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Had read an earlier book by this author which I enjoyed but this was disappointing. The narrative is fine so I did read to the end but the characters are undeveloped and the hero, Jack is thoroughly irritating. Suspect he is supposed to be a sort of 'Jack Sparrow' character but instead he's just bumptious and rude, couldn't see anything endearing about him at all. The fact that the author repetitiously uses 'he smirked' when Jack speaks sums him up really. It looks as if it's the first of a seri ...more
Jennie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audio
An OK read in a fantasy world. Jack, bent on revenge for the death of his mother, passes the dangerous entry trial into a band of thieves then sets out to find and kill his mother's murders. Along the way he makes cautious friends and allies and discovers his mother's death and his own heritage is far more complex than he expected.
I enjoyed this but tale but it didn't have me sitting on the edge of my seat. Perhaps because the narration was a little too even and lacked a sense of tension.
Cassie Cassidy
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, 3-stars
I picked up The Second Draeken War Big Boxed Set on KU, and this was the first book in it. I have to say I really like the world building and love the characters, especially how they mostly all seem to exhibit different kinds of magic. I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this series goes.
Steve Botham
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Master Thief series has shot to the top of the list for my favorite books. The vast majority of the chapters throughout these books have caused me to grin ear to ear. The motivation for a lot of what Jack does is, well, fun. That's true in more ways than one. He likes to taunt his enemies and tease his friends. Even his flirting is entertaining. Highly recommended!
Kiora Nield
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like thieves (reluctant thieves or thieves with ulterior motives are even better). One thing I didn't like was how sometimes the characters seemed like middle school students just goofing off when other times they were their age or older and I never knew which kind of reactions to expect; it wasn't just a character or two, it seemed like all the characters.
Elliot Vasquez
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
The book was entertaining. I didn't find myself captivated or unable to put the book down. But the story and characters were solid and it is well worth a read. I certainly plan to finish the series at some point.
Scott Wozniak
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This was fun, but shallow. The adventure was fast-paced and the world is an exciting one to play in. But the characters were simple and the writing was "on the nose" (telling you exactly what they were feeling and saying exactly what they wanted). I won't continue the series.
John
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for fluff. It's not deep or epic in any way, just a pleasant easy read if you put your belief systems on hold. I won't hurry to the next book but will pick it up if I come across it at the library.
Susan Mallien
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Great book! I loved the characters and the story!
Gur Rathour
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the first book. It had a great story and arc. From the start to finish I was taken in by the story and the lore.
Barbara
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
D&D-style fantasy featuring a fairly dislikable thief in s thieves' guild, with a mission of his own.
Mairin Dunigan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book! Had me bellow laughing. Wish it would never end!
Jordan
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had its moments but I couldn't quite get into this one. Will say that the writing is well done and there are no glaring errors, just something didn't click with me.
Pickyreader
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun adventure

This was an enjoyable read. I enjoy the characters and was able to connect with them. I will certainly continue on to the next.
Melinda
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a remarkably unexpected book. I had no idea what this book was about - but the world building and characters and plot lines was really really well done.
Itsjustmeghan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, but I rounded down instead of up. Not the greatest book, but the world is interesting. I think the thing that bothered me is the writing and repetition. Only so many times you should write "raised an eyebrow". I felt like that and a few other phrases were said. I don't typically notice these things if the story and writing is fluid, but it jarred me out of the world a bit.
All in all an ok read. I'll try book 2 and see if author catches stride.
Mitchell
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is another of Ben Hale's Lumineia "expanded universe" books that examine some of the other characters from the original Chronicles of Lumineia tale. I believe these are originating from a Facebook post by Ben, a while back, asking what characters we'd like to read more about. The first trilogy featured Tryton, king of the rock trolls, and it was great. I may have liked that trilogy in particular as I had always had an interest in learning more about Tryton than the scant offerings in The Ch ...more
Chad Dennis
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read!

I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy a thief as a main character when I bought this book. I've always been a fan of the Conan type of character. However, Jack and his smug, cocky, cheeky attitude quickly won me over! Also, the story line was well put together. You can tell the author put a lot thought into the plot. A few typos here and there but nothing so bad that it kills the immersion unless you're a grammar Nazi. I've already bought the second book and look forward to Jack and his frie
Kerry Alexander-Hall
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Master storyteller

This story line embodies everything I love to read. Great plots, unforgettable and exciting characters and that hint of background familiarity from previous novels. I can't wait now to get my mind into book 2. Well done and thank you for sharing your stories.
Robin Halvorson
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
While this book was entertaining I had trouble finishing it. It seemed a little shallow and never really drew me in.
Viridiana Kylar Blint
Apr 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book has really good reviews so I don't know if I'm just really picky, but I couldn't go through it.
Jack is such an annoying character, I couldn't find any sympathy for him.

Maybe if the book had started sooner and we got to experience more of his life with his parents, I could have been interested in his quest for vengeance, but as is, I just wasn't into it.

• Halls of Power (Ancient Dreams, #3)
  • Stillbright (The Paladin Trilogy #2)
  • Son of a Liche (The Dark Profit Saga, #2)
  • The Apostles of Doom
  • Inkredia - Luwan of Brida
  • Messenger of the Dark Prophet (The Bowl of Souls #2)
  • The Petpost Secret
  • Journeyman  (A Wizard's Life, #2)
  • The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
  • Obliteration (Unbound Deathlord, #2)
  • Shadows (Nightlord #2)
  • Honor Among Orcs (Orc Saga, #1)
  • The Thieves
  • Wish Girl
  • The Society of the Sword Trilogy
  • The Beginning (War Aeternus #1)
  • Breaking Legacies
  • Honor and Blood (Firestaff series, #3)
As an avid snowboarder from Utah, Ben grew up with a passion for learning. This thirst for knowledge led him to sports, music, and academic endeavors. After a year of college, he did volunteer work in Brazil and became fluent in three languages. Graduating from the University of Central Florida, he started and ran several successful businesses before publishing his first novel in June of 2012. By ...more

The Master Thief (3 books)
  • Thief in the Myst (Master Thief #2)
  • The God Thief (The Master Thief #3)