Start by marking “The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)

The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  36,757 Ratings  ·  858 Reviews
Detective Lincoln Rhymes, the foremost criminalist in the NYPD, is put on the trail of the Coffin Dancer, a cunning professional killer who has continually alluded the police. Rhymes - -a quadriplegic since a line-of-duty accident -- must use his wits to track this brilliant killer who's been hired to eliminate three witnesses in the last hours before their grand jury test ...more
Published August 21st 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Coffin Dancer, please sign up.

RedemptionDenied
As good as the first book in the series - though, some of the characters were a bit more grating, this time round. Sachs' seems to have forgotten about self preservation and nearly gets vaporised, after going to a supposed victims home. Actually, she did a few things that were impromptu - which seemed a bit out of character. Dellray (FBI) is still talking in his street lingo (or whatever it is) - so that was a bit annoying; especially when he's not undercover. He probably thinks he sounds cool b ...more
*TANYA*
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017
4.5 stars!!! It's official! I have new favorite author and series. All the clues used, the evidence solved by Rhymes and Sachs are fascinating.
Mike
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that hooked me into reading suspense novels. Back in 2002, I was at Super-Walmart waiting for my car to get an oil change so I decided to kill some time in the book aisle. I picked up a John Grisham book and was reading the plot summary when somebody said to me "if you want to read a good book then read that one". She was pointing to THE COFFIN DANCER so I took her advice and bought it. I have read about 120 novels since and nothing has topped it yet. I felt the first chapter wa ...more
Bobby Underwood
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bone Collector was this reader’s introduction to paralyzed Detective Lincoln Rhyme, and Amelia Sachs, who became his pupil in scene-of-the-crime gathering of evidence. While the first book was a very enjoyable thriller, the second entry in the series, might have been better.

Coffin Dancer is about a killer who has eluded Rhyme, a fact which haunts the detective. He became known as Coffin Dancer during the slayings because of a tattoo of the Grim Reaper dancing near a casket. In this entry, th
John Culuris
★ ★ ★ 1/2

I’ve heard several movie aficionados say some version of: “I’m glad I saw it but I have no need to ever see it again.” I had similar thoughts as I was finishing The Coffin Dancer. There is a lot of bad in this novel. There is also a lot of good. I’m not sure if it’s for better or worse but most of the bad came first.

This novel is the sequel to the acclaimed The Bone Collector, which introduced paraplegic forensic genius Lincoln Rhyme and his protégé, NYPD officer Amelia Sachs. This is w
Obsidian
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. That's all I have. What a fantastic second book in The Lincoln Rhymes series.

It's a year since the events in the first book. Lincoln is now working as a consultant to the police and FBI with Amelia assisting him. Pulled into a case involving the hitman named as "The Coffin Dancer" Rhymes has personal reasons for bringing him down.

I loved Rhymes in this one. He was less acidic in his interactions with everyone. Though it's clear something is off with Amelia, though Rhymes ignores it since h
Arielle Walker
I'm working on a theory: just as every second-hand book seller has at least one, unwanted copy of The Da Vinci Code (and 2+ if it's a Hospice or Salvation Army shop), every summer holiday bach has at least one Jeffery Deaver book.

At least all the ones I visit seem to, which is great because these make the perfect beach read. Yes, even with all the violent crime, I find this series wonderfully easy-going and summery.

The Coffin Dancer is not as good as the best Lincoln Rhyme, but also not the wors
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I'm just starting to get into this series after a long period from reading The Bone Collector. Excellent suspense and writing. Looking forward to reading the rest of these gems!
Zach Judkins
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thrill seekers:)
Shelves: mystery
this is my favorite book by Deaver and the only one I would really give five stars. It is a great, creepy, fast paced thrill/mystery book, with all the twists and forensic tidbits one might expect from Deaver. What really makes the book is it's brilliantly sadist villians. The mindplay between the main character (lincoln rhyme) and those villians is enthralling, and adds about as much action and suspense to the book as any other in the series. for anyone who has not read the other lincoln rhyme ...more
Magdalena
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the second instalment in the Lincoln Rhyme series and it doesn't disappoint. Fast-paced, well-written, with a surprise twist at the end it's definitely worth a read.
Nikki
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
If you haven't read The Coffin Dancer, and you want the plot to surprise you, do not read my review after this first paragraph -- do not read anyone's review. I don't know whether I'm quicker or slower on the uptake than the average reader of Deaver's work, but a cursory glance at reviews here was enough to flick the switches in my brain and have me figuring things out ahead of Rhyme and co. So if you want to be left reeling, play it safe and stay out of people's reviews.

Yeah, there was some stu
Klodovik2
Dosta dobar triler s inteligentnim i nepredvidim zapletima ali mi nešto fali u cijeloj priči. Nešto što bi me poistovjetilo s nekim od likova. Nešto što bi me uvuklo dublje u priču, odnose i motivaciju likova. Na žalost izostala je ta povezanost pa sam priču promatrao iz ptičije perspektive.

Iskreno i ti zapleti su u nekim trenutcima djelovali malo i prepametni da ne kažem nestvarni. Što samo po sebi nije neki problem jer se radi o fikciji ali opet fikciji koja želi realna i autentična u malom mi
Terri Lynn
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Typical Jeffery Deaver mystery involving two of my favorite characters- Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs. This time they are tracking a devious killer who has a tatoo of a snake dancing around the victims' coffin on his arm. I love the interplay of Lincoln and lover/partner Amelia as she acts as his legs at the crime scenes and learns to be a fantastic crime scene detective under his tutelage.
ElleEm
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was too unbelievable. I understand that it is a novel but it is supposed to be a crime novel and I think the abilities of the characters were too much of a stretch of the imagination.
Janie Johnson
When I started this book I went into it with pretty high expectations. I thought this installment started off just a bit slow for me and I did not think I was going to enjoy it as much as The Bone Collector. And I really didn't, but it did pick up the pace a lot and had some great plot twists in the story. Soon enough I found myself somewhat engaged and enjoying the overall story.

So in this installment of the Lincoln Rhyme series we have the perp called 'the coffin dancer'. He is hired, suppose
Jane Stewart
I was not magnetized and drawn in, but I was curious enough to keep reading.

When I finished the book my first thought was the killer’s abilities and actions were not believable. But I could accept them because it made an intricate and complicated puzzle for Lincoln to figure out. The killer was able to do too many things, too frequently, and get away too easily every time. And he always seemed to have full knowledge of everything the authorities were thinking and doing - so you need to suspend d
Harry
By far, Jeffery Deaver is the one author with that uncanny ability to develop plot twists and very complex characters that leave you stunned to the end. If you've seen the movie, trust me, the books are far more ingenious and developed as compared to what we were presented with on the silver screen. The Bone Collector is a series novel starring Lincoln Rhyme, our famous forensics expert bound to his bed and mobile wheelchair.

Reading this novel I am reminded to never commit a crime. The art of fo
Ana T.
The second book in the Rhyme/Amelia series shows them facing a killer that is almost as smart as they are. The Coffin Dancer is an old nemesis of Lincoln Rhyme and the man he most desperately wants to catch for personal reasons as much as professional.

He is a hired killer and his next assignment is to kill two federal witnesses, who may testify against an arms dealer, and Rhymes is determined to stop him. As in The Bone Collector Amelia does the legwork and Rhymes analyses the information and d
Kelly ...
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
I am intrigued by Lincoln Rhymes., and I admire Amelia Sachs. These two characters are far from perfect -- flawed, obstinate, stubborn, fearful, arrogant. They are similar to real people which makes them more interesting because they seem more like people I could know and like. Mr Deaver has taken a man in bed -- a quadiplegic - and allowed him to be intelligent and vibrant. He has also allowed him to be unlikable at times. He has taken a man in a bed and made him into a character who is loud, s ...more
Thomas Strömquist
In the second book, the oddly matched crime fighters tracks a contract killer on a mission. Intense, but Deaver's trademark plot twists this time spirals away towards the ridiculous. Still, in it's genre it's quite good and the continuing story about Sachs and Rhyme and their relationship is enjoyable.
Erin L
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book annoyed me - a lot. Two characters were essentially too dumb to live and I had moments where I just wanted them to die. I didn't care by the end of it if they found him or not. I just wanted the book to be finished.
Cassie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lincoln Rhyme series has quickly become one of my favourite! After being hooked into the first book, I was hoping this one would live up to my high expectations. It easily did with another plot twist that had me hanging on the edge of my seat! A great read and would highly recommend!
Wes Metz
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Derek Davis
As too often, this rating is a compromise. If you love police procedurals with amazingly convoluted plots and even more amazingly ingenious fitting together of puzzle pieces, you'll give this five stars: It may have the most intricate manipulation of clues and motivations of anything I've read.

On the other hand, if you like your plots to have at least the tiniest connection to reality and your villains to behave in the slightest like living human beings, you'll end up beyond frustration.

I read "
Mike (the Paladin)
Read this during my (mentioned before) Jeffery Deaver/Lincoln Rhyme "period". In this outing an old enemy who has killed some of Lincoln's assistants in the past returns. Lincoln unfazed by this bravely sends Amelia after him anyway....:) (little dark humor there). (Let's you and him fight :))

The Dancer is one of Rhyme's deadliest foes...and I found one glitch in the story the conspicuous tattoo that figures so significantly in the story. I won't go into why here as that would be a huge spoiler,
Katherine
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mrtvolky
Hádejte, kdo uhodl identitu Tanečníka!

Já jen já... :D
Mám radost.

Jestřáb se nikdy nestane domácím mazlíčkem. Na city tu není místo. Svým způsobem jde o umění psychologie. S vražedným odhodláním a zájmem vzájemně poměřují svůj důvtip.

Lincoln Rhyme je prostě kabrňák na entou. <3 <3
Alondra
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
4 Stars

Now, that was fun. Can we do it again??

I really enjoyed this Lincoln Rhyme novel. Nice game of cat & mouse; but I am not sure who had who in the trap. Many twists and turns, with lots of dead ends; evidence leading no where...and then all of a sudden, things start clicking at the end and you are thinking, "No way! No way!" Loved this installment and am ready for some more.
Gerard
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think of Holmes in a wheel chair and that is exactly who Lincoln Rhymes is. He keeps solving riddle after riddle and when you are just about to decide he is done with all of them, he surprises you by solving some more! Good read!
Perri
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well crafted Lincoln Rhyme story with the tension rising as the clock ticks.
Greg Duncn
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GBD_140831
  • The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Secret Prey (Lucas Davenport, #9)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • The Devil's Bones (Body Farm, #3)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Hell Gate (Alexandra Cooper, #12)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)
  • Blood Memory
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver...

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)
“People with children and people with their own business always pick up a ringing phone.” 8 likes
“I'm not your proverbial worst nightmare because nightmares aren't real and I am more real than anybody wants to admit.” 4 likes