Start by marking “One Man's Trash” as Want to Read:
One Man's Trash

One Man's Trash

In Close to Spider Man—which won a Danuta Gleed Literary Award—readers were introduced to the crystalline storytelling voice of Ivan Coyote. The talent evident in that first collection is confirmed with One Man’s Trash, a series of connected stories about being queer, searching out new frontiers, and being on the road.

The characters in One Man’s Trash make evident the chil
Published September 1st 2002 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about One Man's Trash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Man's Trash

Carolyn
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ivan Coyote proves that they are yet again a national treasure. The stories in this collection, One Man's Trash are sublime. There wasn't a single one that I thought wasn't worth publication, wasn't worth reading. I enjoyed them all. I remember being a tween and having Ivan come and do a school reading for us. One story that stood out over the years was "It Doesn't Hurt," which details the notorious comb-ball sport, reminding me so vividly of something my brother and I did. Coyote hits the nail ...more
Erin
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve written many times before about Ivan E Coyote and how very very good her stories are (they are very very good). I recently made my way though this collection as a set of nighttime reads. You know how usually you can only manage four or five pages in bed before falling asleep? Well this collection is perfect because no story clocks in at more than six or seven, each one is a contained little gem and you go to bed satisfied that you’ve explored something rich and deep without having to dive t ...more
Zoom
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you
I love Ivan Coyote - in person, in books, in theory, in practice, everything. She's a storyteller with a million stories, because he has a facility for finding the story in the most mundane encounters and events. His stories tend to be plotless yet meaningful, and she shares with us her eye for detail, her ear for the things that often go unsaid, and her voice, rich with humour and insight. He also shares the tongue in his cheek and the twinkle in her eye, both of which are essential Ivan.
Jocelynn
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the stories as always, not as much as "The Slow Fix" or "Missed Her" but still I enjoyed the stories. :)
Roxanne
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am currently in love with Ivan E. Coyote, that is all.
Katie
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
Ivan Coyote is one of my favourite writers. I love their voice that shows through in all of their stories, the way they feel so familiar and kind, and how genuine they come across.

I will say that this is not my favourite of Ivan's short story collections, I personally prefer Missed Her and Tomboy Survival Guide because they invoked in me a deeper sense of community as a queer person and are a little more honed in their style, but it was still a wonderful read. As one of their earlier collections
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Hear Ivan Coyote tell these stories live. Or read them to a loved one on a road trip. Or read them to yourself on the bus, or in the bathtub. LOVE!
Phil Della
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this funny little book, and I loved the first story. I thought to myself, if Ivan can continue to write this well then I'm going to be very impressed by this book. While the book did not deliver the same level of quality as the first story, the other stories were still engaging, funny and unique.

That being said, I have to add that the bulk of the stories were vignettes and as such left me feeling unsatisfied. I kept thinking, 'That's it?' The book runs 136 pages with 18 storie
Shawn Bird
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(When I met Ivan at Word on the Lake Writers' Festival I asked what pronoun to use and was told "they" so I have used it in this review).

In person, Ivan weaves stories around a room, and entwines the audience in a common sympathetic adventure, one that leads to tears, laughter, and sighs. I can hear Ivan's voice as I read these stories: the relaxed,winding tone of a story-teller who plays with the audience with self-deprecating observations. By the end insight shines.

Ivan is a lesbian who identi
Knitography
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-canadian
My first introduction to Ivan Coyote was an interview she did recently on the CBC; her thoughtful and articulate answers made me want to run straight to the library to pick up one of her books, and I'm glad I did!

Her writing is outstanding - each story a self-contained gem, distilled down to its essence. Her work is streamlined and uncluttered, and each story gives you a moment, an insight into human nature and human relationships. I look forward to reading more of Ivan Coyote.
Lbaker
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Once again Ivan E Coyote's writing has brought me to tears, and to laughing out loud, then looking around to see if anyone heard.

I also again found myself reading sections and finally an entire story aloud to my husband for his enjoyment.

Her simple, straight forward style is moving and riveting.

I had read two of the stories in another book, but as one was a favourite I didn't mind.
Karena
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

A book I picked up at one of the Canadian Book Expos. Coyote is a wonderful writer. If you like short stories that are true-life based, please pick this up. You will be amused. (Met the charming author and had the book signed.)
Tom Whalley
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story teller. I love the way she takes the small events of life and Imbues them with depth of meaning. Wicked sense of humour too. A fast read that raises a tear and a laugh from story to story.
Susan Armstrong
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Ivan's style of storytelling. Fresh, down to earth, a politic of acceptance woven in without a hint of preaching. I find myself guffawing out loud and anyone who can do that with the written word is a damn fine writer.
Zoe Eileen
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this!
Becc
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Unfortunately contained a couple of double-ups other volumes of her stories, which was the only bummer.

Never mind, I'll go another.
Beebleberry
Feb 27, 2009 marked it as to-read
I ran into her at the post office today and I thought "Hey, I should read something by her ... she's a very cool person"
Cheryl
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite local author!!!!!!!
Pam P
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keep
Another I read every year. Keeping me sane and laughing. I am getting a new set and donating my old ones.
A
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoopla
Collection of personal essays

Favorites: Mavis for Prime Minister, The Test
Peter
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wonderful storyteller. A collection of mostly humorous short stories. Enough of them in the mighty Yukon to satisfy me.
Kendra Parker

• First Spring Grass Fire
  • Butch Is a Noun
  • Transgender Rights
  • Empathy
  • First Person Queer: Who We Are (So Far)
  • From the Inside Out: Radical Gender Transformation, FTM and Beyond
  • Crybaby Butch
  • Collected Stories
  • The Remedy: Queer and Trans Voices on Health and Health Care
  • Becoming a Visible Man
  • My Gender Workbook: How to Become a Real Man, a Real Woman, the Real You, or Something Else Entirely
Ivan Coyote was born and raised in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. An award-winning author of six collections of short stories, one novel, three CD’s, four short films and a renowned performer, Ivan’s first love is live storytelling, and over the last thirteen years they have become an audience favourite at music, poetry, spoken word and writer’s festivals from Anchorage to Amsterdam.

Ivan E. Coyote,