Start by marking “Sex, Murder And A Double Latte (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sex, Murder And A Double Latte (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #1)

Sex, Murder And A Double Latte

(Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #1)

Thriller scribe Sophie Katz is as hard-boiled as a woman who drinks Grande Caramel Brownie Frappuccionos can be; maybe it's from a lifetime of fielding dumb comments about her half-black, half-Jewish ethnicity. ("My sister's married to a Polynesian! I just love your culture!") So Sophie knows it's not paranoia, or post-divorce, living-alone-again jitters, when she becomes ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 328 pages
Published March 28th 2006 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2005)

Ad Rocks Socks (semi hiatus)
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ad Rocks Socks (semi hiatus) by: Ashley
A solid 3 star read, I enjoyed the book. (Spoiler free review)

Things I Liked:
- a Jewish WOC as the narrator
- the concept of a book within a book #bookception
- the murderer's motive (so crazy and so novel)
- lgbt rep (?)

Things I Disliked:
- the jokes got a bit grating after a while; they were repeated so often
- the stereotypes, oh gawd, the stereotypes: gay men are always into fashion/work in the fashion field, are super sassy, and exist only to help the striaght female MC out with her love life
- t
Chuck
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's all about point of view. The narrator, Sophie Katz, is just downright funny and has an off kilter view of the world that makes it fun to view her San Francisco through her eyes. Some will compare the author, Kyra Davis, to Janet Evanovich, and it's probably a fair comparison--both Sophie Katz (Davis' protagonist) and Stephanie Plum (Evanovich's hero) are girly girl single women who live alone with cats and who continually wind up in situations where there life was in peril. Some have called ...more
Nicole
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a great book
Recommended to Nicole by: i found it in a book store
OMG! this is the book that introduced everyone to the world of Sophie Katz. Once i read this book i was wanting more... then a while later i decided to search again and found Kyra had released 2 more Sophie novels... These books are the most amazing books i have ever read. I would even pick these over Twilight..and i love that series too. Kyra knows how to get you into the story and makes you want more and feel like you are right there as its all happening. It keeps you on your toes and guessing ...more
Andrea
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book hooked me right away. It was so much fun! The MC was a hoot and her sidekicks took it up a few notches. Add in a murder mystery, a stalker, witty banter, a few LOL moments and a Russian hottie and it was one entertaining book.

I'll be starting the next one tomorrow.
Monica **can't read fast enough**
Okay, this is exactly what I expected from a cozy mystery. A main character who almost has it together, funny yet corny humor, secondary characters that are just shy of silly (but for me in a good way), a mystery surrounding murders that made sense, and an overall enjoyable read. If you are looking for gritty and complicated this won't be your thing, but if you are looking for well written quick to read entertainment that you can fly through like a row of Oreo cookies this may be your jam. I'm v ...more
Johanna
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Well, it really should be called Three Murders, Two Frappuchinos, and NO Sex....

But it is an entertaining quick read that won't tax your brain, which is something everyone needs in their life from time to time.
Circa Girl
Dec 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
I can't say I actually read the book as in finished it but I gave it the fifty pages test and it failed. It's like all the other negative reviews said: it's shallow, unoriginal, the characters are stereotyped, and the dialogue tries too hard to be clever. People don't talk like that!
Deborah
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
If it were edible it would be cool whip. You're not even certain it's a real food product, it might just be chemicals suspended in air. But damn if you can't eat the whole container in one sitting.
April Wood
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on this book from the surprising long, (70 page), Google preview I read online. You wouldn't imagine my disappointment when trying to purchase the paperback, and learning that it was out of print. Fortunately, I was able to purchase this book USED for only a dollar from an independent seller on Ebay. It was well worth all the effort...

Mystery writer Sophia Katz is convinced that a crazed killer has been letting himself into her apartment, rearranging her things. The police don't bel
Connie N.
#1 in the Sophie Katz Murder Mystery series

What an unexpectedly cute book! I had no expectations about this one--it was just one that I had added to my TBR several years ago, and it popped up on Audible. But it was fun. Sophie is a great character. She's an author of murder mystery books, and she recognizes that two recent murders have followed the "script" of a song and then of a movie. Now she's afraid she's the next victim since some scenes from her book are now suspiciously being reenacted.
Teresa
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun, easy to get into, read that reminded me of the good (ie: early) days of Stephanie Plum mysteries. There are some cheesy bits and things played for humor that shouldn't be, but I liked it overall enough to want to continue. It didn't feel a crazy hijinks as the Plum books were and that's a plus for me. I'm interested to see if that continues. I did this on audio and it was really well done.
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I love any book that has a kickass female lead. I saw this cover and couldn't resist. Granted, the female lead turned out to be not all the kickass, but not for lack of trying. Ladies and Gentleman, I have for you another author to watch.

I believe that this book is currently out of print. I know that the audio version is downloadable for maybe 10 bucks on itunes. I am sure you can get it secondhand as well. Just know that I won't give you my copy!

Kyra Davis writes like a pro. Her plot was engagi
Christina
Jess
Jul 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, mystery
This was a solid 3 stars for me. Someone recommended it to me because I like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I had to run out to the library and get it to see for myself. I enjoyed this book, and while there were some basic similarities between the two series it wasn't anything blatantly obvious.

I really liked Sophie's character. She had an interesting view of the world around her and she was really amusing. Her friends were all oddballs, and the situations she found herself in were hig
Roxanne Montelongo
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't expect much from this one, and it still left me underwhelmed. It felt a little forced, and the characters were stereotypical and flat. The "twist" becomes painfully obvious about halfway through, and the "playful banter" drags. I really wanted to like it, but no luck.
Krista
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, series, 2016
I liked it. I was funny, interesting, great characters, witty dialogue, and the twists were good. I took this out because I thought it was be okay plus murder mystery, could be pretty good and it passed my expectations. I can't wait to read the rest in the series.
4/5
Sunny
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Sophie Katz is a half African-American, half Jewish author who has just finished her latest book, and has a movie in the works. Having a cause to celebrate, she decides to stop at Starbucks to get a sugar drink- sorry, Caramel Brownie Frappuccino- and pat herself on the back. Perfectly harmless, right?

But she jumped the gun with that little pick-me-up, because soon after, the would-be director of her movie is found with his wrists slit, and a suicide note to top it off.

As if having her career ta
Violet
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Sugar, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
And you got me wanting youuuuuuu

And now that tune is stuck in your head forever.

More of a 2,556 stars rating, but what a heck, all tales of the City automatically get an extra star.

Fun&fast, a read with some totally predictable twists. Characters are cute and there's not that many of them, so it's very easy to simply deduct who did it. Life simulates art, narrator's faux Russian accent is atrocious, but the humor, banter and all that coffee infused
Megan
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
okay so this book was quite a surprise for me, a good surprise! I am not a huge fan of mystery books. They tend to stress me out because I have no patience and I need to know who did it immediately. But this book was listed in the humor section of the audible romance package lists so Igave it a shot. And I kind of loved it. It gave me Stephanie Plum vibes.

It was so good that as soon as this one was over I started on the second one and I am loving that one too!
Michelle
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I needed a cozy mystery to give my brain a break. This one did it, and it was easy to read and fit the bill for a cozy mystery. Only ... I don't know. I'm really really tired of reading about women who think they're fat, who complain about their skinnier more attractive friends, who say if only they went to the gym more they'd be thinner, blah blah blah. Also who hate their hair and don't understand why they can't find a nice man.

Come on authors. You are writing FOR women. Give us a heroine who
Renee M
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I had fun reading this book. There were a few drawbacks, like stereotyped characters and some humor that fell flat. But, overall, it was quick-paced and quirky, with few wasted words. The fact that I knew the killer very early on didn’t bother me, because the rest of it kept me entertained.
Quenya
I really enjoyed the mystery in this one and the main character is very different from other heroines I’ve read. I also liked the location of San Francisco. For some reason in most books I almost always enjoy the supporting characters in the books way more than the main characters.

The climatic ending with the villain is awesome and I want to tell you more but it would spoil it for every one reading the book. (view spoiler)
Dana "dew"
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
SEX, MURDER, AND A DOUBLE LATTE was one of the audio books I picked up from Audible (and at a steal) for under $5. (Yeah, me!) I almost didn't pick this one up. I admit it. I can be a snob sometimes. I had never heard of Kyra Davis or the Sophie Katz series; and when I did a bit of research (by 'research' I mean I Googled Kyra Davis. --- Is it just me or does using "Google" as a verb sound slightly dirty? My apologies to the author.) Where was I...?

Right! When I did a bit of research, I was brou
Rachel Smalls
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is really 2.5 stars. This series was recommended to me by a friend, so I finally located a copy I could read for free and dove in. I could see what the intent was with this book. Sophie Katz was supposed to be quirky and witty, and at times she was, but overall my impression of her and the story fell flat. There were way too many conversations were I felt some action was needed to move the plot along. I don't mind humor in books; however, the final moment with Sophie and Anatoly (whom she h ...more
Jen
Sophie Katz is a successful novelist who specializes in murder mysteries. Her first book is about to be turned into a movie when the producer is found dead, apparently having committed suicide, and her movie is put on indefinite hold. Sophie is upset about the incident, and she isn't entirely certain that she really believes it was suicide, but soon enough she is more worried about a burgeoning relationship with a tall, handsome new guy in town. Then a series of increasingly less coincidental in ...more
Kath
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast, read with some twists. It sort of reminds me of Mary Janice Davidson's Undead series without the supernatural aspect. Sophie and her friends are absolutely fun and hillarious. Lots of sarcastic humor in this one that will have you laughing out loud. Then there's Anatoloy, her mysterious love interest who happens to be Russian. Of course, there's also a focus on Sophie's love for Starbuck's. You gotta love that.

There appears to be a killer out there that it imitating art. When a movie
Jessica  Sinn (Books and Trouble)
Part J.B Fletcher, part Miranda from Sex in the City, this sassy gumshoe is a fantastic female lead! Her witty one-liners literally had me laughing out loud, which can be rather awkward when smooshed between two people on an airplane! I especially enjoyed the witty banter between Sophie and her gang of sidekicks, which consists of a ditzey makeup artist, an endearingly sarcastic sex shop owner, a flakey artist who thinks he’s part vampire, and a fabulous gay hairstylist who just can’t let Sophie ...more
Tasha enderby
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, book-club-books
I am going to give this book a full four stars but I am not sure the ending deserves that full rating. The book starts out really well, it's funny, easy to relate to, a variety of charectors that bring bring a great personality to the book but then the story lines begins to drag. By the time I got to the last few chapters I was ready for it to end. This book keeps referring the her first book and I think I need to read it just to help make this story round out. I would not suggest reading this b ...more
Meredith Galman
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Negligible chick lit mystery about an author who thinks a stalker might be setting her up for a murder straight out of one of her own books. I never thought Janet Evanovich was a genius writer, but compared to her imitators she's James freaking Joyce. Hardly an original moment in the whole book, particularly the characters of Sophie's friend Marcus (gay hairstylist stereotype) and mother (Jewish mother stereotype). The murderer's identity is transparent if you pay even a smidgen of attention to ...more
Goodreads Reviewe...: April's Reviews 86 196 Feb 24, 2015 02:54PM
Red Dress Ink Fans: Sex, Murder and a Double Latte - Kyra Davis 77 29 Sep 30, 2013 01:54PM

• Sofie Metropolis (Sofie Metropolis, #1)
  • The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)
  • A Dose of Murder (Pauline Sokol Mystery #1)
  • Unzipped (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #1)
  • Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1)
  • Body Movers (Body Movers, #1)
  • What Looks Like Crazy (Crazy, #1)
  • Bubbles Unbound (Bubbles Yablonsky, #1)
  • Knock Off (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #1)
  • Love You to Death
  • A is for Apple (Sophie Green Mysteries Book 3)
  • Murder 101 (A Murder 101 Mystery, #1)
  • This Pen for Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • Dating Dead Men
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #1)
  • How to Murder a Millionaire (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1)
New York Times bestselling author of JUST ONE NIGHT, DECEPTIVE INNOCENCE, the Sophie Katz mysteries, SO MUCH FOR MY HAPPY ENDING and the upcoming DANGEROUS ALLIANCE, JUST ONCE MORE and JUST ONE LIE (July 28th, 2015).

Sophie Katz Murder Mystery (7 books)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)
  • Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)
  • Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #4)
  • Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #5)
  • Vanity, Vengeance And A Weekend In Vegas (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #6)
  • Chaos, Desire & A Kick-Ass Cupcake (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #7)
“If you want to turn your life you're going to have to start making things happen and stop allowing things to happen to you” 9 likes
“That is why I love Starbucks. It doesn't matter how much money you have or what social world you're from, chances are you will still eventually end up at a Starbucks in order to revel in the taste sensation provided by the Frappuccino. It is the great equalizer of our time.” 1 likes