Start by marking “Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration” as Want to Read:
Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration

Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration

Discover a hidden world in your own city!

From Ninjalicious, the author of Infiltration zine, comes Access All Areas, the the first published guide to the exciting art of urban exploration, a rapidly growing hobby that allows participants to personally experience their cities’ hidden and off-limits spaces. Through chapters on topics like sneaking around, equipping and t

Published November 20th 2005 by Coach House Press (first published October 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Access All Areas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Access All Areas

Start your review of Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration
Jack Wrenn
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book out of a sense of obligation to the tradition of urban exploration—I figured it probably wouldn't tell me anything I didn't already know. To my pleasant surprise, I could not have been more wrong.

This is an indispensable guide for anyone with even a passing interest in urban exploration, adventure, and infiltration. This book is remarkable in both its breadth and depth; it includes everything from notes on uncommon targets like boats, to the logistical minutiae of recruiting an
pG Ra
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was not just the most pracitally informative read of 2014, but also a huge moral and philosophical influence on my usual blend of mischief and righteousness. In other words, "I get where this guy is coming from," and I find it hard to blame him for the pure and visceral passion he had for urban beauty.

OK, seriously here, this book is not just a guide to urban exploration, it is also a treatise in moral empowerment and respect for urban structure, a call to living a life of wonder and j
Петър Стойков
Urban Exploration се нарича аматьорското проучване на различни градски места, до които обикновено човек няма достъп - най-често е свързано с различни изоставени сгради, в които любителите на това хоби се промъкват, но също така и строежи, сгради, които си работят, но достъпът до разни техни части (мазета, покриви, тавани и др) е ограничен, помпени станции, градски тунели и други такива места. На български са го кръстили урбекс.

Авторът на книгата Ninjalicious ни запознава доста подробно с това, к
Kathleen Fowler
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
True Confessions time: I have spent countless hours on the internet reading about the exploits of intrepid urban explorers. I am thrilled by accounts of midnight forays into the off-limits areas of the Catacombs of Paris, into abandoned subway lines and stations of New York, Paris and London, into crumbling mental hospitals in Los Angeles, into defunct missile silos in New Mexico, and even up into the cables of well-known suspension bridges. I may never have the opportunity or the nerve to engag ...more
Elaine Meszaros
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ninjalicious, founder of Infiltration.org and master urban explorer, came out with the wicked useful guide to visiting hidden and off-limit places. Sadly, he died weeks after the book was published. However, his immensely useful collection of tips on getting in and out of spaces is available to one and all. Urban exploration in the hobby/art of visiting ruined buildings, construction sites and off-limit areas of "live" buildings. The purpose of these trips are to visit and appreciate sites often ...more
Lloyd
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A very basic primer, suitable to loan to the uninitiated before they tag along with you, or to friends a bit lacking in common sense (although I recommend never taking anyone along from the latter group until you're SURE they've matured enough to not be a liability). For the more experienced, many chapters may be a bit too obvious to hold your attention.

Cool pictures and descriptions of explored sites are sprinkled throughout the text. As others have said, this book is thoroughly compiled and wr
Daniel Nurgitz
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ninjalicious certainly was thorough in this guide to Urban Exploration. A definite read whether you are an armchair explorer or risk the dirty and dangerous real world of urban exploration. His humorous comments peppered throughout made it light and easy to read. I also enjoyed learning about some of the secrets that lie beneath the great city of Toronto. One other thing that I admire Ninjalicious for was his commitment to exploring without causing damage..."take only pictures, leave only footpr ...more
Neo
Jan 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This was pretty well written with a good dose of humor. Some of the guidance seemed pretty helpful, and some not so. More importantly, I got a good sense of what sorts of urban exploration I could comfortably try. I also a got sense of what is generally involved and see that I probably don't have the time in my life to get a whole lot of practice or experience at it. I enjoyed reading the book just the same.
Dustin
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: handbook
I've never gone on an expedition to an abandoned urban site myself, but I've loved reading about the exploits and seeing the fantastic photos of people who do. This book is exactly what it says on the tin: a guide to the art of Urban Exploration. It has useful tips for identifying dangers and staying safe, as well as a few personal accounts that make for great reading. I enjoyed this book and thought that also had some good material to inspire writing and gaming.
Oriana
May 02, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-soon
The seminal urban-exploration text, apparently. Spawned the whole genre maybe? including this one, which I really want to read, and this one, which I just proofread. ...more
Andrej Nechaj
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urbex
Great! Really made me want to do some fun exploring around Brno again. I loved Ninj's black humor and all the spy and ninja references. I enjoyed it and laughed a lot but first of all, the tips and advices contained in the book are really useful. I am just really sorry that he passed away so young. :(
Daniel Rotsztain
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: toronto, geography
An essential read for urban explorers and the city-curious. Though Ninjalicious offers advice for urban exploring specifically, his lessons can be easily applied to "all areas" of life. He shows a side of Toronto most don't see - and he will encourage you to use your eyes whenever you walk around the city to see where the next new place might be.
Pearse Anderson
This was a fantastic guide to the hobby of UE. The humor, the moral quandaries, the hidden tips, it was all extremely helpful. I could've used some more diagrams and was often turned off by some large sections of text, it was a very good read.
Alex
Mar 12, 2013 marked it as to-read
This stuff fascinates me. There's a cool article about it here that cites this book as the Bible of urban hackers. ...more
Scuppers
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A first-hand account of urban exploration. The first night after I read this, I had a dream that I was recruited as an urban explorer, and had to go check out the city from a van. I think some grappling hooks were involved.
Jeremy
Oct 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The father of contemporary urban exploration, Ninjalicious (RIP) shares his experiences and expertise through humour and wit.
P. Es
Jun 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: locationx3
brilliant brilliant brilliiiaaaannt. author died recently. how to of urban high adventure. some of it's common sense to the curious. so much more dangerous post 9/11.
Mick
Mar 11, 2008 rated it liked it
deeply satisfying to the life-long trespasser in me.
Diva
May 13, 2014 added it
simple
Andrew
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun read about urban exploration. Casual writing for a casual subject, the author is listed as "Ninjalicious," so if you accept that the author wrote this book for fun you'll enjoy it.
Rachel Rillo
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
learned so much from this book and am already putting my new skill set to good use! i loved the tongue in cheek style as well!
Greg
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny,charming, passionate and insightful.Now I need to find a partner to help me get started in this hobby.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I love this book. I am excited about this book. I probably like this book far, far too well for my roommate's peace of mind.
Katherine
I'm definitely writing a review of this (mostly liked it) but need to read through some issues of Infiltration zine to put it in better context. Stay tuned...
Matt Skeels
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
A lot of information for newbies and the uneducated. A few nuggets of interest here and there. The best stuff is the stories.
Dylan
Katie
Sep 11, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• American Bar: The Artistry of Mixing Drinks
  • Raven Rock: The Story of the U.S. Government’s Secret Plan to Save Itself -- While the Rest of Us Die
  • Citizen: An American Lyric
  • Sh*t My Dad Says
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
  • Thunderstruck
  • The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
  • The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary
  • Behold a Pale Horse
  • PunisherMAX, Vol. 1: Kingpin
  • Earth X
  • Never Been Kissed (Never Been, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)