Start by marking “Desmond Doss Conscientious Objector: The Story of an Unlikely Hero” as Want to Read:
Desmond Doss Conscientious Objector: The Story of an Unlikely Hero

Desmond Doss Conscientious Objector: The Story of an Unlikely Hero

Infantry men who once ridiculed and scoffed at Desmonds simple faith and refusal to carry a weapon owed their lives to him. In the midst of a fierce firefight on Okinawa that felled approximately 75 men from the 1st Battalion, Private Doss refused to seek cover and carried his stricken comrades to safety one by one. This and other heroic acts earned him the highest honor ...more
Published September 22nd 2015 by Pacific Press Publishing Association (first published June 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Desmond Doss Conscientious Objector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desmond Doss Conscientious Objector

Start your review of Desmond Doss Conscientious Objector: The Story of an Unlikely Hero
Mir
Oct 11, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Neither modern biography for military history are usually my subject matter of choice, but this was strongly recommended by the Air Force officer in line behind me at the Post Office, who seemed pretty interesting and thoughtful, so I may try it.

He also recommended Wilson's Ghost: Reducing The Risk Of Conflict, Killing, And Catastrophe In The 21st Century.
Florentina Suciu
A good reminder that with God you can do great things. It's very easy to read, Frances Doss uses a friendly language and she presents the facts in a very familiary manner.
Adam Palmer
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book about Desmond Doss was written by his second wife. (His first wife had died in a car accident.)
The book tells of Desmond's early life through the extensive use of flashbacks as Doss is crossing the ocean on a troopship. It also covers his life after he received the Medal of Honor.
It was a good and entertaining read.
Lisa
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't enjoy the writing style of this book. Almost glossed over and downplayed his heroic acts.
Könyvkuczkó
Desmond Doss történetével egy dokumentumfilmben találkoztam először, azóta el szerettem volna olvasni ezt a könyvet. Kár volt ennyit várnom rá, mert a dokumentumfilm és a tavalyi mozifilm is sokkal lényegretörőbbek ennél, és nem éreztem rajtuk egy percig sem, hogy meg akarnak téríteni.
Desmond második felesége írta a könyvet, és sajnos nem túl jól. Ha élettörténetnek írta, aránytalan lett: bizonyos beszélgetések szó szerint le vannak írva, némelyik feleslegesen, utána meg több, mint harminc év
Joe Oaster
I really wanted to love this book. I heard the story and wanted to read the story about this man of his convictions yet he still wanted to serve. This book had such limited details about his service. The section on his medal of honor action was like 2 pages long. That was an extraordinary event and that action alone could have filled books.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for this man and his steadfastness and courage. This book does not do his life justice. More time was spent throughout
Gable Roth
Desmond Doss was an amazing man who definitely earned his Medal of Honor for his bravery and sacrifice! This book tells that part of the story very well. The rest of the book is more of a personal history with details that might be interesting to grandchildren but not so much for the general public. I do like that it was written by his wife because she is about as close to the situation as you can get without it being an autobiography. However, she is not a professional author and it shows. It ...more
Jo Besser
I was hoping this would be more on Doss' service during WWII, with a bit about his family life. However, it seemed more about his family life and than his military service.

It wasn't a long book, but it seemed like it was going on for much longer. I understood that his beliefs were important to him. It didn't bother me at first, but after a while. I felt like it was getting to be too much and it felt like it was forced.

I think this book would be wonderful for family members and people who are
Sean Nemecek
Nov 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a poorly written advertisement for Seventh-Day Adventism. I got through five chapters before I couldn't stomach any more. There is no sense of drama or tension, it's just a rambling collection of early childhood memories interspersed with some events on a navy ship. I wanted to read more but I just couldn't take the tedious style. Maybe it gets better but life is too short to stick with bad books.
Soroosh Soltani
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
when i was reading this book i just thought to the war area!and how he could do all works in this area!wow a traditional physician did it.really when he dead i heard somethings about him but my father made me keen to read this english book.the best sentences of this book was "from the war,don't come back someone alive"
after the finished i found out about hacksaw bridge about doss.i recommend it to the historical book fans
Donna
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story about Desmond Doss, his faith, and what he was able to achieve with God’s help was amazing . It was evident the writer of this book was not an experienced writer which took away from the story.
P B Starling
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desmond T Does Conscientious Objector

I was so gripped to this story I couldn't read anything else until I had finished it. Having watched the film I just had to read the book. I recommend to others to read this amazing story of Desmond T Doss how he saved 75 men
Peter Reese
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed

I enjoy a go out d based on true events book.....but then add the story was written by his wife.

What a true hero!!!!
Melanie
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good , moving story. Film did this extraordinary man justice.
Samantha Smith
Very interesting subject, but poorly written.
Angela
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very wonderful look at a man who cared deeply for his fellow man. He would not hold a weapon but would risk his life to get his fellow soldiers out of harms way.
Sergio Barbosa
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
História de vida que inspira e nos leva a lembrar que sempre é bom ser agradecido pelas proteções divinas, e que ser fiel à toda prova é o que Deus espera de nós. "Se não vale a pena fazer o certo desde o início, não vale a pena fazer de maneira nenhuma" Desmond Doss
Robert F. Tanner
C.O. and the Medal of Honor

Saw Hacksaw Ridge, the movie made of Desmond's experiences on Okinawa. Hollywood took quite a few liberties with Desmond's and Dorothy's family life. The combat footage where Desmond earned the Medal of Honor was correctly depicted.
The book was written by Desmond's second wife after losing his wartime wife in a tragic vehicle accident. Desmond's life was all about honoring and thanking God for all his blessings, his wives,
Ema Dance
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful. Written in a simple manner, it was such a pleasure to read.

Desmond Doss. His life was hard, but his heart was trusting God, and God never let him down.

The fact that it was written by Desmond’s wife, gives this book a personal note, which I enjoyed very much. And the small contribution made by Desmond himself makes it even more real and genuine.
Daniel Matianski
A great story about a great man, with abundant faith, courage and love for people. The writing is hard to get through though. Worth the read just to know people like this are out there but otherwise, the flow of the book is short, choppy statements, somehow devoid of emotion in what should've been an emotionally intense story.
Stephen
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You will believe in miracles after reading this one. Saving lives, living through military and personal tragedies teaches more about miracles. Accepting your life and death are very powerful moments in Desmond's life.
Jim
Dec 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not very well written.
a
opowieść o życiu wyjątkowego człowieka, który włączył o swoje przekonania mimo wielu przeciwności; pomyśleć, że gdyby nue film Mela Gibsona nigdy bym nie poznała historii Desmonda Dossa...
Alister Mcdonald

• Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • Baltagul
  • A Bridge Across Time
  • Steps to Christ
  • Sword Art Online 002 : Fairy Dance  (Sword Art Online, #2)
  • Sword Art Online 001 : Aincrad (Sword Art Online Omnibus, #1)
  • Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 1
  • Patriarchs And Prophets
  • Esperanza para las familias de hoy
  • Hope for Today's Families
  • El camino a Cristo
  • Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
  • Ami 3: Civilizaciones Internas (Ami, #3)
  • Les Trois Mousquetaires 1
  • Ami, el niño de las estrellas (Ami, #1)
  • Ami regresa (Ami, #2)