Start by marking “Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning” as Want to Read:
Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning

Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning

Violet is happy with things just the way they are in her sleepy, backwoods Florida town. She loves going to the fish fry with her best friend Lottie, and collecting Brain Freeze cups with her good friend Eddie. She loves squeezing into the open trunk of the old cypress tree, looking for alligators in the river, and witnessing lightning storms on a warm summer day. But when ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Walker Childrens (first published August 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning

Kate
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In many ways, Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning (Walker Books, August 2008) is a coming-of-age story, but here's the thing... Violet Raines is coming of age on her own terms and in her own sweet time.

Danette Haworth's debut middle grade novel is perfect for kids like Violet who aren't in a hurry to grow up, girls who are still more interested in mud pies than makeup. Violet faces her share of issues -- a long time boy friend whose really nice eyes she's suddenly noticing, a new girl
Charles
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I started and finished this book today. It's a quick read with enough interesting character interaction to keep you turning the pages. I'd call it basically a "tweener" book, not quite young adult but not quite a children's story either. The main characters are around the 11-13 age range. It reads like a good YA book, though.

Now, I'm 50 and a long way removed from those days, but I really liked the characters and really got involved with their "relatively" small troubles. There's a lot of honest
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Cana Rensberger for TeensReadToo.com

When you've lived in the same sleepy town your whole life, you get real comfortable. As comfortable as a favorite pair of old shoes that you've broken in good. And that's just the way Violet Raines feels about Mitchell Hammock, Florida. What's the point in a new pair of shoes that'll just blister your feet?

It's the summer before junior high and Violet looks forward to spending lazy days with her best friend, Lottie, and feeding the fish under the
Keli
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Ages 8-12
Synopsis

For Violet, the summer before middle school is a tumultuous one. A new girl moves to town from Detroit and threatens to get between her and her best friend, lightning strikes her best friends house, and the relationship is changing with her friend Eddie. Coming of age is never an easy thing.

Review

Despite all the great reviews, this coming of age story is no Judy Blume. The country dialect seemed forced and the main character's voice was inconsistent. Sometimes she sounds too young for he
Edna Moran
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
There is much to appreciate about Haworth's debut novel. At the beginning, I loved the MC's voice--Violet is a force to reckon with. I want to follow her everywhere. I also thoroughly enjoy Haworth's hand at descriptions. I experienced the dense, sticky atmosphere of Florida through the ever-energetic Violet. This story showed great promise.

The characters are likable and believable, especially Melissa. In fact, I was drawn in by the trouble brewing between her and Violet. However, the story's pa
Anna
Dec 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
During the summer before juniro high Violet learns about friendship and self acceptance.

Although it's not amazing Haworth's first novel for children is a lovely easy read. Violet's life is interrupted when a new girl moves into town and tries to steal ger best friend away from her. Violet struggles w/ feelings of anger as her best friend appears to change but she soon realizes that people can change but still remain close.

Young girls will relate to Violets sensitivity while parents can apprecai
Andrew

While this is more of a juvenile fiction book, this is a book I've had for a few years and read multiple times throughout the time I've had it. Don't be turned away from the cliche sound of the back cover; this book is about hanging onto a friendship you so desperately want to keep, but feeling like your friend is being pulled away from you like someone else.

If you ever need a quick, one-day read about beginning to become a teenager and the way your friends change along the way, definitely give

Sammy
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i thought it was a great book about friendship.the main character violet and her best friend are having a good summer when Melissa moves from Detroit and is hanging around allot with Lottie and violet gets a little mad cause she starts wearing makeup and different clothes, so then violet starts hanging out with Eddie Mellisa starts teasing her but in the end violet becomes nice and she knows she did the right thing
babyhippoface
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
The reasons I didn't love this book sound kind of silly, but here they are: Violet had a tendency to be snotty (and so did Melissa), and she used bad grammar when no one else in the book really did. It made her sound less intelligent than the other characters, and that bothered me. I'm sure she was realistic, because girls can be snotty where best friends are concerned, and kids use bad grammar. Still, both bothered me.
Alex D
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is one of my favorites. I really liked it because it showed a lot of detail and emotion in the story. My least favorite part was when Melissa stole Violet's best friend Lotti because they were best friends since they were little and now Lotti thought that Violet was just jealous. My favorite part of the story was at the end of the story when Violet's friends and her were hanging out again and talking to each other instead of hating each other.
Kristi
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Violet is from a small town in the South and she's not afraid to say what she thinks. Her best friend is growing up and making a new friend with a girly-girl. Any late-bloomer and/or tomboy can really relate to Violet. The story was funny, heart-warming and overall charming.

I absolutely fell in love with Danette Haworth's writing and look forward to reading so much more from her!
Dolores
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tween
It brought Kaye Gibbon's character Ellen Foster to mind because of the wittiness and intelligence. Violet Raines struggles with a threatened BFF relationship, the mystery of middle school, and exploring who she is as she prepares to enter middle school. As I think about my students entering middle school, I would imagine that they would relate well to this book, especially my girls.
Ryan
Jun 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story about growing up, friends & enemies (who aren't always too different at age 11), and about making a difference. I liked Violet - she was content to be who she was and liked herself enough not to have any need to be anyone else. She embraced everything - even not liking Melissa - and made even the idea of gutting fish sound like an adventure.
Abby Johnson
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Violet Raines likes things the way they are in her small town of Mitchell Hammock, FL. But when Melissa arrives from Detroit and befriends her best friend Lottie, Violet struggles with the realization that some things must change. A nice coming-of-age story about the summer before junior high. I'd hand this to fans of Shug, Heartbeat, and Just as Long as We're Together.
Claire
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Violet Rains Almost got struck by lightning is a very interesting book. It is the day after the fish-n-fry, and Violet is telling Eddie her story of why Melissa threw up. this is my first day trying the book out and I know i am going to love it.
Pam

good girl book good literature circle book
Brooke
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was funny, adventurous, and vivid. I could really picture the events and the scenery as though I were watching a movie. It is an excellent novel. Everyone I've recommended it to has enjoyed it.
OwlBeReading
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was really easy to relate to because I have a lot of problems with change as well. The main character was perfect and even though the book was short I felt that the full potential and story of the book was made.
Kayla
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a GREAT book! I enjoyed it VERY much!
Linda
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable book about friendship and those times in our life when we feel vulnerable and question whether or not our BFF relationship can withstand the inevitable changes that come our way.
Christy Elkins
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. A refreshing coming of age story that will make you laugh, cry and remember what it was like to be young.
Donna Gephart
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I dare you to read this book and not fall in love with spunky Violet. Can't wait for Haworth's next book!
Megan Anderson
Better than most of the coming-of-age novels I've come across (I'm glaring at you, Newbery-winners-from-recent-years). Quick, but enjoyable.
Loryn Hanson
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have read 2 times
Tracie
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
The summer before they start jr. high foreshadows changes ahead for Violet and her friends.
Koqua
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
this is okay so far. it talks about freidshing and disliking. kind of sounds like me!! HAHAHA!!
Oksana  *Bookaholic*
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really cute and perky novel... It actually makes you think about what a kid might be thinking during time of trial.
Hannah Knakal
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-books
I L-O-V-E-D, this book. I was very interested in this book and i read it fairly fast. It was a quick read, but it was a good read! I loved it.............
Karen
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this story of best friends. It is a story of two best friends and their story of friendship with its ups and downs. I loved it!
Rena Jones
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this coming-of-age story. Great voice, great characters.

• Solving Zoe
  • Me, In Between
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree
  • A Month of Sundays
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Two Steps Forward (Steps, #2)
  • Flight to Freedom:
  • Rise of the Corpses (The Undertakers, #1)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Jumping the Nail
  • Notes from an Accidental Band Geek
  • Grounded
  • The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis
  • Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus ...
  • My Name Is Sally Little Song
  • Class Favorite
“When Eddie B. dared me to walk the net bridge over the Elijah Hatchett River where we'd seen an alligator and another kid got bit by a coral snake, I wasn't scared--I just didn't feel like doing it right then.” 3 likes