Start by marking “Saladin: Noble Prince of Islam” as Want to Read:
Saladin: Noble Prince of Islam

Saladin: Noble Prince of Islam

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Forty years before the boy was born, a horde of bloodthirsty barbarians thundered out of the west and conquered his native land. They had succeeded because his people, ever at war with one another, had not fought together to defend their cities. In time the boy was destined to become the very leader that was needed, a man with the courage and vision to unite his people and ...more
Published August 6th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Saladin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saladin

Nancy Meservier
Saladin: Noble Prince of Islam is a biography of Saladin, or Salah al-Din, who lead the Muslim forces during the crusades. Because of the important role he played in the Crusades, much of the biography focuses on the particular battles he fought during this time, with a few pages dedicated to his life before and after. The book is not over the top gory, but it does occasionally touch on many of the harsher aspects of life at war, and the death that is involved. Although this book is obviously to ...more
Rachel
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very well done biography on Salah Al-din or Saladin as he is more commonly called. I was worried that it might be biased, as a lot of books on the Muslim characters in history have been in the past (esp when dealing with the Crusades). However, the author was very good at presenting both sides of the story, and actually made the Crusaders to handle things worse than the Turks/Saracens. In 1099, the Crusaders slaughtered hundreds of Muslims and you would think Saladin (who had heard the story gro ...more
Verdi
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
He was an important to people of the Islamic religion.

Saladin and his brother Richard never actually met face to face.

Also, he was ill when his wife died and so his advisors kept the news from him for three months for fear the shock might kill him.

Christina Martin
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I came across this book at the Teachers College library. I thought it would be interesting to look through a picture book that had to do with history. While this story is a picture book (half the book is composed of illustrations), the elaborate history of the Muslim prince, Saladin is presented.

The book offers a full biography of Saladin, from his birth to the battles he fought to his later life and death. The story was mostly about Saladin, but the author did include information about Judaism
April
I LOVE reading history books to my kids. This one was great! Such a great example of leadership to the world! I also love that Saladin is a Muslim. Not all Muslims are terrorists. The contrast of the Christian/Muslim conflict then is interesting given the state of Christian persecution in the Middle East today. So sad. Also, so far, I just love all of Diane Stanley's books.
Kathleen
More books about Saladin should be written--or at least this one should be read more often. Crusades too often told from just one point of view.
Karla
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, non-fiction
Shockingly there are no histories on islamic leaders of the past in our town libraries. We got this one online for D's school report. It was completely age appropriate, full of exactly the right amount of detail and was pretty interesting too. Good for my kids to see history as described from a less anglosaxon perspective.
Peshawa
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books about Saladin in more details, but this one is very short but raising the important station in Saladin life. He was great Kurdish Muslim nobleman which we need one like him in this terrible middle east. I think the writer mad some mistake in this book which I will point as following.
1-The writer mention that Nur al-Din is a Turkish, but actually most of the sources have been stated that Nur al-Din is from Zank family and it was written as Nur al-Din Zanky (in Arabic نورال
Rhiannon Hubble
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
1. Genre: Biography
2. This biography details the life and accomplishments of Saladin. This book portrays the compassion and his rise to power during the Crusades.
3. a) Area for Comment: Illustrations
b) The illustrations in this book are so detailed and complex. With each mini chapter, Stanley produces images that portray the vast and beautiful landscape as well as the intricate details of dress, and jewelry.
c) The front cover provides intricate details in the robe that Saladin is wearing. It als
Shelli
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a nice additional resource when covering the Middle Ages and the Crusades in school (typically 7th grade). Unless your student has some rudimentary knowledge on these topics and some of the key people involved (such as: Richard the Lionheart, King John, and Pope Gregory VIII) this read can seem a bit confusing and would be better off being read after familiarizing yourself a bit more with the material. All in all though, a very good read that showed even in times of war compassion could ...more
Deanna
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: world-history
This picture book was very long! The true story of Saladin occurs during the third crusade and Saladin is who the infamous Richard of Lionheart of England goes against and looses. The author portrays Saladin and very virtuous and kind. The reader is left feeling anger at those "Franks" and relief that the Muslims have won their land back. So bear that in mind if you choose to read the book, whatever your opinions may be.
Susan
This book for older children tells the story of Saladin (Salah al-Din), the Muslim warrior who fought to wrench Jerusalem from the hold of the Christians, including Richard the Lion-Hearted, in the First Crusade.

The story is told with a compassion and understanding that is rarely present in most one-sided portrayals of the Crusades from the point of view of the Crusaders. It is beautifully illustrated, with Islamic-style art.
Dan
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
where did my knowledge of the Crusades go? I can only wonder. With this book, I got it back! It's easy to read and ever-interesting. The Crusades were complicated and mostly without heroes--filled with a heap of personalities, though... Answsers that question I had while reading Dante, "Why was Saladin deemed an honorary Christian?"
Alison
I was interested in the history I learned about Jerusalem, Saladin, and the first Crusade. I could not believe just how brutal these wars were towards Jews, Christians, and Muslims. I would use this book to teach a history lesson about Jerusalem or the first Crusade.
Fred Kohn
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
In an interesting twist, in this biography the Crusaders are portrayed as bloodthirsty barbarians and the Muslims as civilized. Although my knowledge of the period is limited, it seems to do this while sticking to the facts. The text is engaging, and the illustrations wonderful.
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Saladin was an amazing figure in middle-east history and an example to all. I wish that we could all learn to be more chivalrous and forgiving as Saladin was. A children's picture book, but a great intro to a great leader, making me want to read more about him.
Dolly
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
Historical account of Salah al-Din's life and the battles he fought during the Crusades.

The narrative is long and would be appropriate for middle grade readers.

The gorgeous full-page illustrations are vibrantly colored and very detailed, nicely complementing the story.
Christi
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting story from a perspective perhaps not as well known in the West
Amanda
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Absolutely GORGEOUSLY illustrated with an informative and concise text that never makes you feel like you're being talked down to.
Jean-Marie
We read this beautifully illustrated biography of Saladin to complement our middle ages history lesson about The Crusades.
Jim
i know v. little of saladin, w/that caveat, this book is v. good
Andrew Stuck
Aug 02, 2016 is currently reading it
good
Maxwell
Nov 01, 2013

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99