Jump to ratings and reviews

The Lost Clan #2

Rowan Wood Legends

SOME LEGENDS ARE BETTER LEFT UNTOLD.

I wasn’t the sort of girl who believed in fairytales, let alone tales about faeries. But that changed the day Faeries came to my small town and Hunters rose from their graves.

On that fateful day, I received a book, a peculiar collection of myths and legends. Turns out it was so much more than stories. And just as I was on the verge of unlocking its secrets, it was stolen from me by someone I called a friend.

Now, I don’t know whom I can turn to, whom I can trust. All I know is that there are two sides, and I am straddling the great divide because I am both Faerie and Hunter. And although I swore I would never choose, I am slowly falling for one of those sides…

Fans of Karen Marie Moning's Fever series will adore Wildenstein's Lost Clan series.

294 pages, Paperback

First published August 14, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Olivia Wildenstein

39 books2,417 followers
Olivia is the byproduct of a meet-rude in a Parisian discotheque that turned into an epic love story spanning several decades. Naturally, this shaped the way she viewed romance.
After meeting her own Prince Charming—in a Parisian discotheque of all places—she decided to put fingers to keyboard and craft love stories for a living. None of her characters have ever met in a Parisian nightclub... as of yet.

Ready to fall in love? Sign up to her Newsletter to claim your FREEBIE: https://dl.bookfunnel.com/hmniv0406r

WEBSITE: http://oliviawildenstein.com
INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/olives21/
TIKTOK: https://www.tiktok.com/@owildwrites
FACEBOOK READER GROUP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Olivi...
GOODREADS: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
BOOKBUB: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/olivi...
AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/Olivia-Wildens...
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/OWildWrites

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 160 reviews
Profile Image for Hanne.
654 reviews66 followers
December 6, 2017
Rowan Wood Legends is the second book in the Lost Clan series and Rose Petal Graves must be read before this book. This book is so good! It was so much better than Rose Petal Graves. The book read easier and I knew all the characters better. I loved the suspense and the mystery. I still don’t know who to trust and who not, and I love wondering about it. There isn’t really a cliffhanger, but not everything is solved at the end. I can’t wait for the next book in this series to be released!

Cat is still the same woman as before, but she becomes stronger. In the previous book, her life was turned upside down. She discovered a whole new world and she met many new people. There will happen many things in this installment and it won’t always be easy, but Cat is a fighter. Cat is determined to figure everything out and to decide who she really is. When she wants something, she will go for it, whether it puts her in danger or not.

I’m still not sure with who Cat will be a couple. Cat starts to like yet another man, but she’s hesitant. She doesn’t know what to do or think about love. I do hope that she will stay forever with the man she’s with at the end. He’s not who I expected and I saw another side of him. I’m starting to really like him.

-- My honest review is based on a copy provided by the author. --
Profile Image for Carol.
698 reviews36 followers
September 16, 2020
Awesome second book finished it in 24 hour couldn't put it down so good.
Profile Image for Andy.
2,354 reviews176 followers
October 28, 2020
I received a free audiobook from the author and the review group Audiobx in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I HAVE A NEW SHIP.

Catori is torn between her Hunter side and her Faerie side. In the centuries long conflict between the two, she hasn't decided if one side is right, or even if either side is. After losing her mother and best friend, Catori is sick of death. When someone she thought was a friend, steals her book from her, she doesn't know where to turn to or who to trust. But it seems like her heart has.

I enjoyed the first book, but this was a step above it! I felt more invested in the Hunter vs Fae conflict, plus we find out a lot more about the universe of Fae in this. I loved getting to know more about Cat's family ties to both sides of this conflict, and more about the Fae land in general. Plus, I have found that Ace Wood might not be the pompous asshole I thought he was at first.

This book certainly ended on a twist and I can't wait to find out more.
Profile Image for Manon the Malicious.
926 reviews52 followers
August 18, 2017
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Catori’s adventures with the faeries and hunters continue. People are still dying, shit is still going down. (Yep, that’s my summary.)

The world was still interesting and well built, we actually got more details about it, but the plot was so very boring. I started being entertained at like 70%, that’s when the story actually picked up…
I have really mixed feelings about most of the main characters… Like I can’t decide whether I like them or not…

All in all, the ending made up for the rest of the story but only partly; for most of the book, I simply didn’t care. About any of it.
Profile Image for Theresea.
17 reviews
June 23, 2017
I finished this book in two days, it was so good. After reading the first book in the Lost Clan series I couldn't wait to devour this one, and it did not disappoint. There's plenty of humor, love, mystery, and steamy scenes to keep you up well into the night. It's one of those books that is bittersweet to finish because you get so attached to the characters. I hope Olivia Wildenstein give us one more book after this. Pretty please?
Profile Image for Astrid Arditi.
Author 11 books422 followers
June 23, 2017
Even better than the first in the series! Absolutely loved it! Now that the players are presented, the stakes rise spectacularly and Catori is in the thick of the drama unfurling. Love, loss and century old grudges mix together to create a perilous crisis that kept me awake well into the night. Devoured this novel in less than two days! Simply couldn't put it down
Profile Image for Mandie.
660 reviews34 followers
September 23, 2018
This is Book 2 of the the Lost Clan series. Wonderful supernatural fantasy with a splash of romance! It will keep you hooked until the last page!
August 13, 2017
I feel like this series is my guilty pleasure. I loved this so much more than I expected to even though little things bothered me. Full review to come!

Full review on Stellar Kitten Book Reviews:

description

❝ "Okay, we're all done. I'm all out of lollipops, though."

Even though my throbbing arm felt as though it were on fire, I smiled. "I was always a sticker girl." ❞

This book definitely went beyond my original expectations. It tackled on a lot of the issues I'd had with the first book. My favorite change had to be the addition of the glossary because it did get pretty confusing in the first book to remember all the words in the fae and hunter language. It was really helpful to be able to look back at it. Plus, it helped a lot with keeping all the people and their relationships straight.

Romance is a really big part of this series, so I feel it's only fair to talk about the guys who seemed to have a thing for Cat.

While Kajika was more willing to take things slow in this book with Cat, I still think he didn't change much. If anything, I think he got worse. He was more controlling and was constantly showing Cat that if she didn't choose his side he'd consider her an enemy. It got really tiring to see him throw his tantrums when things didn't go his way. He was really uncompromising.

Cruz remained pretty much the same. He was still attracted to Cat, but ... it felt more like a passing crush. I don't think even he could really explain why he was. Also, I think Lily's solution to her issue with Cat was pretty good. I could see why she did it and I think it was even kind of her to think of a good alternative rather than just dump her problem on some random person that might have meant Cat harm.

❝ He stayed silent for a beat. And then he mumbled, "Yeah. Sorry. It's tough to contain all that magnetism. I'll try my best".❞

And then there was my personal favorite: Ace. Then again, he could've had a thing for anyone because he's just got that flirty personality, haha. I just love how honest he could be (at least more than anyone else) and how he was always thoughtful and kind. Honestly, he was probably the only guy in the book that I liked besides Borgo. But Borgo I liked more just because I felt sorry for him and what he went through.

Plus, that story developed quite a bit on this one. There were some reveals that I didn't expect at all and were interesting twists. I think one thing that was frustrating was how set in their ways both sides were (fae and hunter). They constantly kept trying to work together but then also snapped at the littlest thing and overreacted. I'm curious to see how things end and really wish we could get an inside look at the fae island! We hear so much about it from other characters but I think it'd be great to have Cat visit.

I'm dying to see what Cat's final choice is---both in terms of romance and other stuff (won't spoil it). I have to admit that sometimes I was a little frustrated with Cat not making up her mind, but this was a really fun, easy read. I'm looking forward to reading the last book.

This lovely book comes out on August 14th so you should check it out if you're into paranormal romance. It's advertised as "The Vampire Diaries with faeries" but I felt some Twilight-ish vibes from it. So, if you liked either of those then you might like this!
Profile Image for Sydney.
111 reviews13 followers
September 1, 2017
asdfghjkl even better than the first one! We get to know even more about the faeries and the hunters which is super exciting I definitely like the faeries more but it might be because I'm in love with Ace oops. Both have their faults though but I'm hoping for peace through Cat and Ace. Speaking of Cat she's amazing in this book. Strong, caring, loving, and completely oblivious but in a sweet way. I just love the way she LOVES everyone and cares for everyone. And she's faced a lot the past couple of months and is doing great. She's also super independent and willing to be her own person, not what anyone else wants or the easy way. Ace is 😍😍😍 and I love him nuff said. The writing in this book is so smooth and the plot so fast paced that each book honestly feels like an entire series. So much happens! and The characters undergo so much growth the whole time. READ THIS BOOK.
Profile Image for Katie.
Author 20 books149 followers
July 4, 2017
Wildenstein does it again. Like her other books, Rowan Wood Legends is full of characters you can't decide if you can trust or not. What seems predictable isn't. A see-saw of mystery and romance. This book is a solid, satisfying read that gets us even further into the world of faeries and hunters. I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book and I am now waiting (impatiently) for the next installment. More!!!
Profile Image for Aneta Bak.
414 reviews102 followers
August 14, 2017
Rowan Wood Legends was just as good as the first book, if not better. If you liked the first one, you definitely need to get your hands on this one as soon as possible.

Caught in the middle of a war between Fairies and Hunters, Catori has chosen not to trust anyone. Alone and confused, Catori must discover the true reason behind Holly's sudden death, and whom she can truly trust.

Once I started this book, it was really hard to put down. I read it in two days, but I probably could have done it in one if work didn't get in the way. This book picks up right after the first one. I was changing my opinion on characters that were already introduced in the first book, and I was truly intrigued with new characters that the author introduced in this novel.

I loved Catori in the first book, but I definitely love her even more now. She has an amazing personality. She is so determined and strong, but she never forgets the people that really matter to her and have been there for her. I admire her character so much, and her character development in this book has definitely left me impressed.

The world-building was also fantastic. We get to see more of the world that Olivia created in the first book, and while I would have loved to see even more of it, I'm very happy with the setting descriptions, the creativity of the worlds and the history/backstory that we are given.

This book was so close to being perfect for me. Similarly as the first book, I found the plot line of the story quite strange. It kind of felt like a rollercoaster for kids, where it goes over little tiny bumps, rather than the adult rollercoaster that does a huge rise and drop right before the end and leaves you wanting to go on the ride again. I hope you guys can understand my analogy here, I just really felt like there was not enough wow to the action in the story.

I really liked the ending of this book, and I absolutely can't wait for the next one. If you liked the first book then you definitely should read this one as well, and if you haven't read the first one, then definitely do so if you love fantasy stories with strong female characters.

Happy Reading,
Aneta
Profile Image for Dawn West.
538 reviews41 followers
August 17, 2017

**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book.**

Hunter or Faerie? Which would you choose?

Catori's life has been turned upside down ever since the death of her mother. She has learned the truth about her family's paranormal roots and discovered that she is both fae and hunter, a seemingly impossible combination. And since she refuses to pick a side, she has to fend off both the faeries and the hunters who want her to choose.

Unfortunately, while Cat tries to deal with her two bloodlines constantly clashing, she also faces troubles on the outside. Death, deception, and and distrust all make it difficult for her to know just who has her best interests at heart. Is it charming faerie or the feisty hunter? And what will happen to her if she were to open her heart up to one of them?

I think I enjoyed the second book much more than the first. In book #1, we are introduced to many characters and the world building features a fairly complex supernatural history with many rules and creatures. It was a lot to sort through even without adding in a romantic angle that quickly became complicated too.

For this book, tensions continue to run high while secrets are slowly revealed and Cat still isn't sure just who she should put her trust in. I won't give away who she starts to lean toward but I will say that I am quite pleased with the results. I was rooting for this pairing from the very beginning. *wink*

The plot is still heavy with the missing book, a newcomer faerie with powerful secrets of his own, and a new clan of hunters on the horizon. But the highlight for me was definitely the romance portion. Cat and her new beau entertained me throughout the entire book and I practically sighed in both relief and joy when the sparks began to fly.

In closing...
I cannot wait to see what is in store for Cat in the next book. But I will say, if this couple gets ripped to shreds, I just might lose my marbles. Five suns!

Full review on blog: http://uptildawnbookblog.blogspot.com/2017/08/review-tour-rowan-wood-legends-by.html
Profile Image for Nicole Vanadia Davis.
100 reviews1 follower
October 24, 2018
I think I liked this book more than the 1st one. Some aspect were slower in the beginning but overall it was juicer. All the sexual tension just bounced all over the place. The first book touched on the background and history of the hunters and faeries. This book expanded on all of that and doled out secrets and new revelations. Learning about the faerie's home and the hierarchy within their land was very interesting. Catori is growing on me. Emotionally, she's doing better. She still made some bone headed choices but she redeemed herself in the end. There is still a love triangle but it's evolved into something I didn't expect. I will say, one of the characters from the first book all but disappeared in this one. So I'm curious if he will show up more prominently in the next one. While I wouldn't call the ending a cliffhanger, it definitely leaves you wanting to know what is going to happen next. Still many questions left unanswered. Can't wait to read the next. Absolutely recommend.
Profile Image for Debbie Turk.
1,414 reviews16 followers
September 23, 2018
Engrossing!!🌟

For #2 we're still in the small town of Rowan. Cat is still reeling from her Mum's death & Blake's suicide but she's left livid by the betrayal of old family friend Stella, Cass's Aunt! She's lost her Book, the one with all of the Fae & Gottwa tales in it and much more. What's even worse is Cruz used his 'fae favour' to blackmail/torture it's location out of her!😢

We learn more about the world where the Fae live in this book. Kajika says & does some dumb hurtful things to Cat out of hurt & anger!😡 Lily puts a lot at risk to try to break the bond Cruz put on Cat & Cat is made to eat crow where Ace is concerned on a few different occasions 😂 The romance is turned up in this one and in the direction I hoped for🔥😎👍

I'm really enjoying this series so far!! 4 Stars 🌟

Debbie, 1970, UK
Author 34 books60 followers
August 21, 2017
Rowan Wood Legends kept up the same high level of writing I’ve come to know and love from Olivia Wildenstein’s previous books.

The mythology surrounding the faeries and the hunters is absolutely delicious. This instalment brought excellent developments in character, plot and the legends themselves. I particularly loved the knife-edge split with characters appearing friends one minute and foe the next. I’m still not entirely sure who to trust, since I vacillated all the way through!

I am firmly on Catori’s side and want it to all work out for her (hmm, with one person in particular, perhaps – maybe I am taking sides where the heroes are concerned). Can’t wait to see if we get peace between the faeries and the hunters – or a huge battle.
Profile Image for Jana (HokuGirlReads).
295 reviews93 followers
October 25, 2020
This is such an interesting take on the fae and as each book goes on it opens up more and more in the world and is so interesting and unique I love the story and characters this author has created. I can’t wait to read the next book.
Profile Image for Mihlean.
354 reviews9 followers
August 2, 2017
I received a digital copy of this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest and voluntary review

Rating: 5 stars

This second installment trumps the first one without any doubt!

Rose Petal Graves was great - no it was pretty damn awesome. The world building was amazing, the characters were likable and the writing just impeccable. The romance however, was a little ridiculous if I may say so. In Rowan Legend Woods, all of these aspects returned except for the stupid romance.

HELL. YES.

So do I have any complaints? No, no I don't. Only that I need the sequel asap.

Olivia Wildenstein has done it again, people.
Profile Image for JJ.
18 reviews10 followers
July 30, 2019
Note: I've read the book and listened to the audiobook. This review covers both and my audiobook review from February is on Audible

Story Summary and Overall Thoughts:
This is a (mostly) young adult, supernatural, urban fantasy series where the main character is torn between two worlds. I recommend reading Rose Petal Graves before reading this book, and by proxy, the rest of this review.

I felt this book surpassed the first one with characterization and events. There was more mystery and things felt more realistic [for a book about supernatural beings]. Interactions between Catori + Ace and Catori + Kajika were great, some felt exceptionally real. I adore Lily more than words can say, and the fact she's deaf and everyone has to interact with her in specific ways is amazing. It's uncommon to find characters with disabilities in books and when it's done well, I appreciate it greatly.

Catori receives a book from a mysterious source and finds herself further drawn into the fae and hunter worlds while she tries to decipher what she was given. Trust is a major issue as it seems every time she turns around she is betrayed. Relationships with others ebb and flow as the events unfold and in the end, she finds things are not always as they seem and some souls are better than expected.

To sum up, the things I love:
- This book progresses the original story well.
- Catori is strong-willed, witty and kind, stands up for herself, but allows others to help her when she is in over her head. It's a good balance.
- Ace has a great balance of arrogance and subtle kindness. He feels very real.
- Kajika who is a transplant from another time
- Olivia's characterizations are always on point with the depth of characterization and behaviors.
- I also enjoy her dialogs.

Things I’m not overly fond of:
- There was little, story-wise, I'm not fond of and it's not worth mentioning.

The audio quality and overall narration on this recording was awful.
- There was a hiss through the entire story.
- Each of the first few chapters had different sound qualities and vocal differences.
- A budding relationship, which is amazing in the book, comes across as "meh" in this reading.
- The narrator is boring, stilted in her speech, doesn't vary her characters so when there are no speech tags you have to guess who's speaking based on context. Sometimes this works, but generally, it doesn't.
- Funny scenes didn't strike me as amusing. Anger and frustration don't come across as anything more than irritation, like someone swatting a bug but not really caring if they hit it.
- I felt the narrator's interpretation of the story elements were off-base [this is subjective, I realize]. She reads scenes that were meant to have derision as though that portion were nothing more than a congenial chat. Scenes which should have been full of excitement were bland.

In short, I didn't enjoy the narration of this book at all and I'm disappointed the previous narrator wasn't used. She too had awful sound issues, but her reading brought the story to life in wonderful ways.

My recommendation is to read the actual book over listening to this audio version. So much emotion and nuance are lost via this reading.
Profile Image for Alyssa Janine Busia.
125 reviews45 followers
June 2, 2019
This is the second book in The Lost Clan series by Olivia Wildenstein. I liked the first book, Rose Petal Graves, but I wanted this one more. The story gives additional detail about the two groups that I am following and looking forward to knowing in the first book. Also, in this second installment, I was able to feel more attached to the characters and the world featured here.

The story was told in Catori’s view. Here, we will be able to see the real story behind the war between the Faeli and the hunters. Actually, just like Catori, I’m also torn on who to believe and who to trust, especially if each one from the two sides has contradicting stories to tell. But, after discovering more secrets and after meeting some characters that were involved, she seems to finally have a side to choose.

I really liked the author’s writing style. It is very easy to read and not boring. The scene she was able to create was exciting and full of emotion. I didn’t really expect the twists and turns that she had put in the story. It just exceeds what I’m expecting on this second book. The romance too that started to grow in here were astonishing that every time I think about what had just happened, it was making me smile. Sometimes also, it makes me want to scream because of the eruption of butterflies it gave on my stomach.

The story actually focused more on the romance between Catori and this other character. This book also let us has a deep understanding of the world of Faeli and the hunters. It was like a history book where on every page, my questions from the first book were being answered.

Next, the characters were a little bit hard to remember at first because I had read a lot of books before reading this novel, but maybe, after 10-20 pages, I already remembered them. I also remembered how they were in the first book, and I know that the characters improved more, especially on Catori’s part. Of all the other characters, I just fell in love with Ace. I didn’t expect to see him that way. I know I used to ignore him on the first book but his role on this second book was a lot more noticeable and important – which you might also like if you’ll read this book.

Then, I’ve been waiting to talk about this one, the book cover! Isn’t it very gorgeous? The first book’s cover is beautiful too, but seeing this one makes me gush on it so much. I soooo love it!

Overall, this is an excellent read from one of my favorite author. If you love stories that have creatures like Faeli (or fae/fairy), then read this one. If you like fantasy, try reading this too. If you also like romance, then try this book.

Disclaimer: I received an advance reader’s copy from YA Bound Book Tours.

BLOG POST LINK: https://wp.me/p7AwHZ-4P3
Profile Image for Charlotte.
420 reviews1 follower
April 18, 2020
This brilliant trilogy is just getting better and better. I am really enjoying this story. This second book has definitely picked up its pace from the first.

Olivia wildenetein's writing and imagination is awesome. The story development is brilliant. This world of fearies and hunters is an awesome take. 2 worlds, lots of characters lots going on to keep you on the edge of your seat. A fantastic resilient main character. Slow developing romance which doesnt take over the book.

I absolutely loved this book. I highly recommend this trilogy.
Profile Image for Macy Klingerman.
255 reviews4 followers
September 20, 2017
I liked the first installment of this series, but I LOVED this second book. Holy crap, I audibly squealed and even threw my phone down and started flailing and clapping a few times. This second installment takes a bit more mature turn, with some pretty steamy scenes and a romance that I never saw coming, but am TOTALLY on board with. Like, seriously, I ship this like crazy. 10/10 would obsessively read fan fiction about it.

If romance isn't necessarily your thing, this book has some awesome, well written action scenes and lush faerie folklore. Catori has matured so, so much since the first book, and she has evolved into a kick ass woman who is learning to hold her own. Even the side characters have been given more layered, unique personalities.

Rowan Wood Legends has proven to me that this series is only going to get better, and I can't wait until the next book comes out. I give it 5 out of 5 stars and I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys stories about fae.
Profile Image for Julia Butterfield - Stevens.
783 reviews8 followers
March 14, 2022
I really enjoyed this second book in The Lost Clan series (which must be read in order) even though I still have no clue where the story will take Catori in life or love!

I listened to the audio and the narrator was again very good, varied and expressive with the many characters she had to voice.

Good and evil always seems to depend on which side you are on. The enemy are always the baddies! However with the Fae and the Hunters the lines are definitely blurry, there is good and bad on both sides and with poor Catori stuck right in the middle desperately trying to remain human instead of picking sides, there are plenty of truths still to be told and a host of secrets and lies to uncover. Cat is gaining strength and power, both with magic and in herself as she tries to navigate this new world she has found herself immersed in. This book flowed more than the first for me, perhaps because I know the characters better and I really enjoyed the darker bits, the tension, humour and the blossoming romance. With its twists and turns, I'm looking forward to what comes next.
Profile Image for Tabby.
37 reviews9 followers
September 8, 2019
I won’t give any spoilers but I do have to say- I have NEVER in my life been so engrossed in a story. In most series, you basically know what’s going to happen by the middle of the first book. This series had me guessing up until the very end. Cleverly written with relatable characters that you can’t help but love or well hate some of them but then love them again. I read all three within three days.. like didn’t sleep- read while I fixed my hair, while I ate and (don’t tell anyone) even at two social gatherings. I became so emotionally attached to the characters and fell in love with Cat!! I’m pretty sad now that it’s over.. definitely one of my top three favorite series. 🧚🏽‍♀️🧜🏽‍♀️
September 5, 2020
Middle Ground

I gave this series 3.5 stars. It wasn't particularly great, but then it wasn't bad either.

Pros:
1. The story isn't dragging too much.
2. Mc finally chose a guy.

Cons:
1. Mc always wears black leather leggings when she goes out.
2. Mc gets too friendly with people she should be mad at. Why are you speaking to Gwen in a friendly tone? Why are you not upset at Kajika for banging another girl when just a week or so before, y'all were basically a couple?
3. She forgives too easily. Carry those grudges to the grave, girl. Then in 300 years, push aside those rose petals and still be salty.
Profile Image for Katherine Paschal.
2,124 reviews55 followers
April 3, 2018
Katori has a choice to make- to embrace her hunter side and battle faeries, or to let go and become a Faerie. But really, all she wants is to be herself and not have to pick a side that would change her life completely, and to stop lying to those close to her. She may not have much choice in the decision after all though since she is in the middle of a war she is very unprepared for.

​I liked the first book well enough, but I was so into this story! I sat down one evening to just read a chapter and next thing I knew it was hours later​ and I was half way through the book and 100% invested. I feel like this story had a more engaging writing style (for me at least) where I did not want to put the book down, each chapter would taunt me to keep going until I had to have the book removed forcibly from my clutches (perhaps against my will, but for the greater good aka sleep and work). I love myself some faeries, and this sequel was even more jam-packed with the danger, intrigue, allure and mischief that I have come to expect with my fairy stories. This was the perfect blend of action, danger, mystery, fantasy and heart-stopping romance where a little bit of darkness clouds over every element.

Let's take a minute to talk about the pacing of this book. Olivia was able to cram so much action and some life changing events into the 239 pages (as per my ereader) that made up this story. Seriously, the story went from one crisis or death/murder to the next big problem without any dull moments used as filler. Even the small conversations that Kat had with the side characters, for example her Aunt, were tools that helped to reveal secrets about her mom and more of the world Kat is slowly becoming ensconced in. Each moment in the book was important for either character development of world building so pay attention!

​I was ever so happy to​ see so much of Ace in this book. I rooted for him in book one, and I was glad to see the snarky banter between him and Cat was back full force, but with a little something extra thrown in... Let's just say I am team Ace all the way. (...and you should never be in a relationship with a dude who may or may not like you since you look just like his dead soulmate, just saying).

This story did not wrap everything up so I will definitely need another book to see what will happen next. I enjoyed this book more than I did the first book and I think the writing will just get better the more into the series I go. I am a fan of this mythology-fairytale hodge-podge world Olivia so painstakingly built (where else would you see faeries vs Native Americans??) and I hope this is just the start of Kat's journey to self discovery in a world gone mad.

I received this title in return for my honest review. Come visit http://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/ for more book reviews.

Profile Image for Jessie Seymour.
307 reviews25 followers
August 12, 2017
***I received an ARC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review***

I gave this book 5 stars. This book was 10 times better than the first book. I was so completely enthralled by the story that I honestly didn’t want to stop. I know I probably say that a lot about books, but I’m not even exaggerating this time.

I was reading and it was getting so good, I turned the page and it was at the Epilogue and I didn’t know what to do with myself.

I’m a bit over the love triangle in the first book. I also think the main character is over it too. Neither men in the love triangle are really that great and it seems like Cat has lost all interest in both of them.

What I did like was her crowning friendship with Ace. In the first book Ace was not my favorite character, i honestly didn’t like him all that much, but he has completely grown on me, as he has on Cat. I kind of want something to happen there, they do seem to care a lot for one another and he does appear at times of struggle to help her even though I’m pretty sure he has nothing to gain from it. I love Ace and I would love him with Catori.

We learn a lot more about Cat in this book, a lot of them good, but still some bad. Like the fact that she likes to eat her spaghetti with butter and ketchup. Who does that? Okay maybe a lot of people but it still seems gross to me. I felt a bit closer to her in this book despite her interesting choice in food.

I really don’t like Kajika. I know he’s all broody and some stuff went down with his wife and Borgo, but he acted like a complete prick to Cat even when none of it was her fault. He’s trying to fill this void that his wife caused, but he’s doing it at Catori’s expense. He’s my least favorite character in this series right now.

Overall, if you are at all interested in any book that’s paranormal or fantastical, this is definitely a book/series that you need to read. I highly recommend this.
Profile Image for Mel Anie .
157 reviews85 followers
August 26, 2017
Stars: 4,2
Arc of this book has been provided by author, Olivia Wildenstein in exchange for an honest review.

At the beginning I would like to apologize.
I know, I'm a little late with review of this book. Sorry for it, real life called.

Review
I was really confused about how should I rate this book. There was things I loved and things I really hate. Nonetheless, this book was really a good, emotional read. It made me laugh, few time I face-palm myself, other times I was singing alongside Avril Lavigne 'What the hell?'.

Main protagonist of the series, Catori Price, is a teenager caught in 2-centuries-long war between mortal enemies, hunters and faes. War which changed forever her life and lives of people close to her.

In Rowan Wood Legends Catori finds herself struggling between two men. She is attracted to both of them. Meanwhile, while trying to recover The Wytchen Tree book Catori not only learns secrets of faes and hunters but also deeply buried mysteries of her own family.

Let's put it together in points, shall we?
× Book was really slow for around 45% of book. I'm glad that I didn't give up on it. Miss Wildenstein made a great job of giving her reader plenty of action when I didn't expect it.
× Kajika? Oh please... I dislike him so much. Please Kajika, stay back and don't act like a spoiled brat.
× More Ace! Hell yea...
× Catori made me several times put down a question WHY. I didn't understand her at times, but hopefully I'm happy with her final decision and keeping her ground about who she wants to be.
× Hail to the mysteries and more mysteries. I was awed by unraveling all those secrets, especially one about Holly.

This was an awesome read. I'm happy that I was able to experience it.
Profile Image for Poetic Puppy.
277 reviews1 follower
August 6, 2017
Everything you loved about Rose Petal Graves and more.

Catori is about to find out what happens when Fae die; among other things. With no idea who she can trust, Cat will have to rely on her instincts. And when things get dangerous, she’ll have to rely on whoever’s closest; as picking sides when you’re half and half isn’t easy.

If you’ve decided to continue with this series you won’t be disappointed; book 2 is every bit as good as book 1. The momentum is building and you’re in for a few surprises that I can almost guarantee you won’t see coming. Cat is still torn between her two halves and isn’t having much luck in figuring things out. While neither side is really ‘selling themselves’ to the best of their ability (as far as I’m concerned), one side will start to earn a little more of Cat’s trust, or at least a certain person is going to earn it. I’m not going to talk about the love triangle from the first book, but I will say that Cruz is starting to show his true colours and Kajika is... well honestly, he’s being a bit childish. Despite the fact that Kajika is behaving quite poorly at times, I actually feel a little sorry for him as much like Cat he’s trying to adjust as best he can. Despite the revelations of Rose Petal Graves about Catori’s biological ancestry, things aren’t about to get any easy for her, as just when she seems to get a handle on one thing, something else happens to throw her off balance. The ending of the novel is really good and quite unexpected, but don’t expect everything to be wrapped up in a nice neat bow. Much like Catori, we’ll have to wait and see how some things unfold in the next book. If I could hope for one thing from the next book, it would be for Catori to have someone she can confide in. Everyone is keeping secrets and Cat could really do with a friend she can trust to talk things through with.

Profanity: Negligible
Sexual content: Infrequent
Violence: Moderate but sporadic
Profile Image for Marissa.
475 reviews79 followers
August 17, 2017
How long until the next one comes out?

This was a great sequel... while the first half was slow and I worried it might have a bit of the middle book syndrome I got sucked into Catori's story more...

I will be back with a more detailed review...

*** Thank you to the author for an early copy for review - all opinions are my own.... and please considering checking out my full review and discussion on Marissa Writes ***

Story Overview

This second book of the Lost Clan series starts right where Rose Petal Graves left off... and at full speed. So please consider reading these in order. Granted Olivia Wildenstein does a great job of filling in the major details, as well as providing extras to help with the different languages and a large list of characters that are part of the story.

Catori Price is focused first on keeping her father safe now that faeries and hunters are becoming more and more of a daily nuisance for her. She cannot decide which half of her blood line she will pick. As a result, both groups are showing up and trying to convince her to act for them.

Kajika is struggling to find his way in this familiar yet different world and the memories that Blake left with him only make the process more complicated. As he tries to find his way, he often clashes with Catori over how to proceed, and that only complicates her opinions on which blood line to follow.

Ace & Cruz show up again and again with only minor bits of information to assist Catori - leaving her more and more confused about how the fae world even works.

More than anything, Catori knows that a war is beginning and if she doesn't pick a side there is no guarantee her friends and family will survive it.

***Stop by the blog for more likes and dislikes***
Displaying 1 - 30 of 160 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.