Start by marking “Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)

Dead Jitterbug

(A Loon Lake Mystery #6)

Hope McDonald's advice column syndicates nationwide. So when Hope is murdered in her home, Chief Lewellyn Ferris can think of more than a few suspects. Now, she'll have to think of the perfect bait to net a cold-blooded killer.
Published April 5th 2005 by Berkley

Start your review of Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
Bryan
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am working my way thought this series. Greatly enjoy the setting of Loon Lake, and main characters Doc, Lew, and Ray. This wasn't my favorite of the series thus far, but a good read none the less. On to the next...
Eileen Lynx
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Renee
This book made me sad because I have only a few books left that have Audible editions. (Yes, I listened out of order.) Another satisfying adventure.

Kindle Unlimited, Read & Listen
Noah Rucks
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Personal Response:
I read the book Dead Jitterbug by Victoria Houston. I really enjoyed reading this book, because of the suspense in the murder. I really enjoyed the fishing, and the mystery incorporated into the book.

Plot:
In the beginning of the book, Ray and Doc took a group of girls out for a two day fishing seminar. On the last day of the seminar, Kitsy Mcdonald got a phone call. She was upset at the person on the phone. When she put the phone back in her purse, a pistol fell out of it. Sh
Kyle Loehrke
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Personal Response

I enjoyed reading this book, because it was very interesting and fairly easy to read. I was not expecting the book to go the way that it did either. After the first few chapters I thought it was getting boring until the murder happened, and then I wanted to keep reading to find out who the killer was. I think I might read more books in the Loon Lake mystery series.

Plot

In the beginning of the book Ray and Doc take girls out fishing for a two day seminar. On the second day one
Norma
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Victoria Houston's Loon Lake series of murder mysteries are always full of surprises. Set in the Wisconsin northwoods, you can count on Ray Pradt, the colorful local fishing guide to be wrapped up in any murder investigation this small town has. Ray is not only a fishing master, he knows the area's chain of lakes and backwoods trails better than anyone. When popular advice columnist, Hope McDonald, is found murdered in her home, police chief Lew Ferris sets the investigation in motion. Are local ...more
Kenneth Funk
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge2019
Ms Houston would benefit from a better editor. There have been numerous continuity problems in the first 6 books in the series. Most recently it involved several people discussing how a neighbor had been fishing along the murder victims shoreline, yet at that time they did not know that. The neighbor girls tells them in a later chapter that she had been fishing the shoreline.

Overall, it is still a good enough story but instances like the above happen way too frequently in this series.
Julie
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ray Pradt is leading a seminar of "Fishing for Girls." Chief Ferris is called in to investigate a murder of Hope McDonald, an advice columnist, also the mother of one of the seminar girls. One of the girls also holds a grisly secret. And they are called in to find out who is robbing banks.

Another delightful tale of Chief Ferris, Dr. Osbourne and Ray. Enjoyable reading and A LOT about fishing!
Michelle
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love these books. I happen to come across one in our library at the high school. The author is from Wisconsin and things to relate to small town here in the northwoods where I live. The mysteries are exciting.
Ann
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn't love it. A little too much detail on the fishing aspect for me. The characters were interesting, although sometimes the descriptions were a little too long. And the murderer kind of came out of nowhere. Not sure that I'll read any others in the series.
Annie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A most excellent 5 star read!
Jodie Molzahn-Brunner
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great series and I am learning a lot about fly fishing.
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
The 6th book in the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery series.

Retired dentist Dr. Paul Osbourne gets roped into helping his neighbor Ray Pradt with his latest money making adventure - a 2 day seminar called "Fishing for Girls" where he takes a group of women out on the lake and teaches them his skills as a fisherman. When the mother of one of the seminar students turns up murdered in her home on Loon Lake - Dr. Paul is called in by chief of police Lew Ferris to help out with the investigation. Soon afte
Lorlee
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: bizarre-murders
Roxann
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, mystery
I am enjoying this series by Victoria Houston. I enjoy reading the series partly because I do like to fish and I also like reading about places I have been to in my home state. I like the character Ray--his lust for 'tv time' is a great addition to the stories. His latest venture of Fishing Girls ads a humorous flavor to the book. These books are always an easy read.
Becky
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've really tired of this series, and find so much of the information on Wisconsin law enforcement to be inaccurate and unrealistic. The only reason I read this is because I own a copy of the book. I have one more to go and then I will be done with them.
Karen
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This series was recommended to me. I liked the idea of a WI based author who focuses on recurring local characters. The story took some wacky twists and was a little too neatly wrappedup but I did enjoy it and will read more from the series.
Jaime
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another entertaining read in the Loon Lake series.
Mike Murray
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
2016 Book #68: 3.5 stars. Not much new to add to previous books. Still fun to read and paced well.
Nancy
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
What can I say? I love LoonLake!

Arielle Gordon
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I totally love this series! The characters and situations are so down to earth, I really connect with them. I have to pace myself not to read the whole series straight through!
Susinok
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Oh to be fishing in real lake country! I love these mysteries. The setting is so interesting and I love the characters.
Doug
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fun Loon Lake mystery
Kitty Tomlinson
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Advice columnist Hope McDonald is murdered in her home. Chief of Police Lew Ferris and Doc Osborne investigate. Fun read.
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another Loon Lake Mystery that I really enjoyed
Glenda
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good cozy mystery series
Kel
Greed and cruelty lead to murder. In solving this mystery, and old murder is also solved.
Gloria Johnson
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A mediocre mystery, but it held my interest because of the setting. Enjoyed hearing about muskies and Leinies, but the plot wasn't too exciting.
Kern2537
Jul 25, 2011
Karen
May 15, 2015

• Death Stalks Door County (Dave Cubiak, #1)
  • The Chocolate Shark Shenanigans
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)
  • In Plain Sight (Kate Burkholder, #10.5)
  • Deathwatch
  • Murder on Cape Cod (Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery #1)
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Stay Hidden (Mike Bowditch, #9)
  • Desert Redemption (Lena Jones Mystery #10)
  • Knife Creek (Mike Bowditch, #8)
  • Claws for Concern (Cat in the Stacks, #9)
  • Tracking Game (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #5)
  • Hunting Hour (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery, #3)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)

News & Interviews