Start by marking “There's a Wocket in My Pocket!” as Want to Read:
There's a Wocket in My Pocket!

There's a Wocket in My Pocket!

"Did you ever have the feeling there's a WASKET in your BASKET?"

'There's a Wocket in My Pocket!' is filled with bizarre creatures and rhymes such as the "nupboard in the cupboard", "ghairs beneath the stairs", and the "bofa on the sofa"!

In this silly Bright and Early Book classic by Dr. Seuss, a young boy goes exploring in his house and finds an array of fun characters! Ar
Published 2003 by Collins (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Wocket in My Pocket!, please sign up.
Johnny 0h05m—About five minutes, per a brisk reading of the 1974 Hardcover edition with ISBN 9780394829203.
Johnny As of 2022, no, it doesn't look like there have been any adaptations yet. It's a pity, since this is one crazy story which would be awesome to see ani…moreAs of 2022, no, it doesn't look like there have been any adaptations yet. It's a pity, since this is one crazy story which would be awesome to see animated.(less)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Best Book Titles
5,700 books — 3,380 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,978 books — 6,290 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
Matt
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Say what?!? A Dr. Seuss classic that uses pretend words to help the young reader see rhyming patterns. Neo undertook the task of reading this one to me and dove right in, talking about wockets found throughout the house of this childhood narrator. Some of these creatures are welcome guests, while others can stay away, even if they help the rhyming process. Neo pushed through and showed how he can tie the ‘created’ word with the actual rhymed noun and push passed the silliness. While he did crack ...more
Sophia Triad
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, children
"Did you ever have the feeling there’s a WASKET in your BASKET?
Or a NUREAU in your BUREAU?
Or a WOSET in your CLOSET?
Sometimes I feel quite CERTAIN there’s a JERTAIN in the CURTAIN"

Another amazing book by Dr. Seuss.
A bit scary, a bit funny, a bit ridiculous,
BUT very clever and with great lyrics and illustrations.
For the brave little readers 🎃
Skallagrimsen
When counting my many blessings, I’d be remiss to exclude the good fortune to encounter Dr. Seuss at a critical stage in my imaginative development. Through his simple yet bewitching poetry, and still more by the power of his psychedelic imagery, the good doctor taught my four-year-old self just what a mind-expanding experience books can be. For that, I’ll always be grateful.

Almost five decades later, There’s a Wocket In My Pocket seems to be the Dr. Seuss title I recall best. The reason, I sus
Stacy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love this Seuss book, too. I am honestly relieved there is NOT a nook gase in my book case!
Ronyell
Wocket

“There’s a Wocket in my Pocket!” is truly a brilliant book from the creative mind of Dr. Seuss and it is about how a young boy tells the audience about the strange yet fun-loving creatures that live in a young boy’s house. “There’s a Wocket in my Pocket!” is definitely one of the greatest books about rhyming ever written!

Dr. Seuss has done a splendid job at both writing and illustrating this book. Dr. Seuss illustrations are truly great and creative as he illustrates the boy with a red outfit an
Derek
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: despite the title, this book has very little to say about wockets. If you purchased this book hoping to gain insight into the ecology and habitat of the wocket, you will be disappointed.
Rachel
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sockrockers
sometimes i feel like there's a zamp in the lamp
and im also quite certain there's a jertain in the curtain

whoa
David Sarkies
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nonsense Rhymes
18 November 2013

I notice that some people deeply analyse the functionality of the book in how well it would work to help children to read and to understand the English language, and there are others that simply go on about how much they loved this book when they were a kid (and have probably not read it since then). Then there is me, who will read the book and then make comments about it in the same way that I made comments about Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself and Th
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, american-20th-c
and that Jertain in the curtain better start paying his rent or he’ll get thrown down to the cellar with the Gellars! Another wonderful play on words and sounds that my kid adores.
Shannon
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2013
I'm completely unfamiliar with the original There's A Wocket in My Pocket! so I don't know how this differs, sad to say, but as it's quite the silly book and so much fun to read, I wouldn't mind getting the longer version too.

It begins: "Did you ever have the feeling there's a ZAMP in the LAMP?"

"Or a NINK in the SINK?" and so on.

For each everyday household item or piece of furniture, Seuss made up a silly rhyme. There's the WOSET in the CLOSET and the BOFA on the SOFA, the GEELING on the CEILING
Book2Dragon
Nov 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
A book of rhymes, odd creatures and imagination.
What can I say but Dr. Seuss rocks?
Simone
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the rhymes they were so funny!
Katja Labonté
2 stars & 2/10 hearts. My siblings and I were actually rather disappointed by this one. It really was just a list of crazy creatures in this boy’s house—but it never really talked about the creatures, like Seuss usually does in his books. It was very short and not really funny at all...
Gavin Abdollahi
Ok, I think I'm being a little mean to this book. I'd like to give it four stars, it being a Dr. Seuss book and all, but... I can't.
Cat in the Hat and the Lorax were good. Still a ramble of nonsense, but good.
This, however... Was just too much.
So, it's about a kid who lives in this house full of weird monster like things, and the whole story goes like: There's a wocket in my pocket and a nookbrush on my toothbrush and a dozet in my closet and a lish in my dish and a...
Though, I have to say, he's
Dave
Apr 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Well my nephew loves it, so good enough for me! Like other Dr Seuss books, wonderful to read aloud.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Yet another fun and hilarious story from the mind of Dr. Seuss.
Christa
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay so technically the six-year-old read this to me (SO PROUD) but I supervised and thus am counting it anyway.
Gerry
Mar 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this in another edition but this board book is really fun with its (obviously) thick pages as they seem to match the ridiculous rhymes that are within its covers.

I always pass Dr Seuss books on to my daughter - in her forties I should add! - and this will go the same way so she can enjoy things such as the zamp in the lamp, the nink in the sink, the yeps on the steps and other such fascinations.

The cellar for instance has a variety of rhymes, for in there are tellar, the nellar, the
Lorien
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one used to scare me :o
Jonathan Katz
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have read it and also read it many times to my sister -- she loves this book
Maliha Tabassum Tisha
I'm just grossed out by the thought of so many fuzzy creatures hanging around the house, and inside someone's pocket!! 🤢 ...more
Bri
ah, another one of my childhood favorites!
Darinda
A silly, nonsensical rhyming book. Entertaining for kids, but not one of the better Dr. Seuss books.
Josiah
Nov 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book is uncanny in its ability to be pleasantly funny. There's a Wocket in My Pocket should prove an enjoyable read for almost anyone, as it specializes in the type of offbeat rhyming humor that shows Dr. Seuss to be quite a writer, at his best. I would definitely give one and a half stars to this book. ...more
Maria
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngreader-5-13
I think this one was my fave for awhile. The made up words were fun.
Anne
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
I don't care if you believe it

that's the kind of house I live in

and I hope we never leave it

Oh Dr. Suess, you make me smile so.
Aneesa
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This guy can get away with anything.
Leland T-Money Fortier
Apparently making up words is the key to becoming famous: Dr. Seuss, Red Hot Chili Peppers, scat jazz, Donald Trump.

Dr. Seuss has once again tried to slip some innuendos into his books, making them unsafe for childrens' eyes and ears. This book was to be followed by a sequel titled "Is that a wocket in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
Ky
Jun 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book with my grandma when I was younger, and now here I am 13 years later reading it to the sweet little boys that I babysit. I have always enjoyed the intricate illustrations and creativity within Dr. Suess books. It even held the attention of the two little ones I read to.
Lanie
Art is beyond adorable & all the names of the wacky little critters are so fun to say. The Insanity of dr. Suess is fun for both kiddies and adults reading to them. :) highly recommended.
2019 Roe Reading ...: There's a Wocket in my Pocket by Dr Suess 2 4 Oct 06, 2020 03:31AM
Seuss Lovers: There's a Wocket in my Pocket! 1 6 Dec 06, 2012 07:20PM

• Go, Dog. Go!
  • Bears on Wheels
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • The Tooth Book
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Choral Warm-ups from A-Z: Singing Dr. Seuss's ABC
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • Blue Hat, Green Hat
  • Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!
  • The Nose Book
  • The Digging-est Dog
See top shelves…
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting ...more