Start by marking “There's a Wocket in My Pocket!” as Want to Read:
There's a Wocket in My Pocket!

There's a Wocket in My Pocket!

With a host of crazy crackpot creatures, from wockets in pockets to waskets in baskets, this hilarious books helps young children set off on the road to reading.

This delightful book forms part of the second stage in HarperCollins’ major Dr. Seuss rebrand programme. With the relaunch of 10 more titles in August 2003, such all-time favourites as How the Grinch Stole Christma
Published 2003 by Collins (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Wocket in My Pocket!, please sign up.
Ceciley Noel I think it's a good way to encourage imagination and creativity. We don't know what these things are, but we can imagine them and create our own…moreI think it's a good way to encourage imagination and creativity. We don't know what these things are, but we can imagine them and create our own stories and our own meanings. (less)

Matt
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Say what?!? A Dr. Seuss classic that uses pretend words to help the young reader see rhyming patterns. Neo undertook the task of reading this one to me and dove right in, talking about wockets found throughout the house of this childhood narrator. Some of these creatures are welcome guests, while others can stay away, even if they help the rhyming process. Neo pushed through and showed how he can tie the ‘created’ word with the actual rhymed noun and push passed the silliness. While he did crack ...more
Sophia Triad
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, thriller
"Did you ever have the feeling there’s a WASKET in your BASKET?
Or a NUREAU in your BUREAU?
Or a WOSET in your CLOSET?
Sometimes I feel quite CERTAIN there’s a JERTAIN in the CURTAIN"

Another amazing book by Dr. Seuss.
A bit scary, a bit funny, a bit ridiculous,
BUT very clever and with great lyrics and illustrations.
For the brave little readers 🎃
Stacy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love this Seuss book, too. I am honestly relieved there is NOT a nook gase in my book case!
Ronyell
Wocket

“There’s a Wocket in my Pocket!” is truly a brilliant book from the creative mind of Dr. Seuss and it is about how a young boy tells the audience about the strange yet fun-loving creatures that live in a young boy’s house. “There’s a Wocket in my Pocket!” is definitely one of the greatest books about rhyming ever written!

Dr. Seuss has done a splendid job at both writing and illustrating this book. Dr. Seuss illustrations are truly great and creative as he illustrates the boy with a red outfit an
Rachel
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: alliteration junkies
Shelves: sockrockers
sometimes i feel like there's a zamp in the lamp
and im also quite certain there's a jertain in the curtain

whoa
Derek
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: despite the title, this book has very little to say about wockets. If you purchased this book hoping to gain insight into the ecology and habitat of the wocket, you will be disappointed.
David Sarkies
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nonsense Rhymes
18 November 2013

I notice that some people deeply analyse the functionality of the book in how well it would work to help children to read and to understand the English language, and there are others that simply go on about how much they loved this book when they were a kid (and have probably not read it since then). Then there is me, who will read the book and then make comments about it in the same way that I made comments about Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself and Th
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, american-20th-c
and that Jertain in the curtain better start paying his rent or he’ll get thrown down to the cellar with the Gellars! Another wonderful play on words and sounds that my kid adores.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I'm completely unfamiliar with the original There's A Wocket in My Pocket! so I don't know how this differs, sad to say, but as it's quite the silly book and so much fun to read, I wouldn't mind getting the longer version too.

It begins: "Did you ever have the feeling there's a ZAMP in the LAMP?"

"Or a NINK in the SINK?" and so on.

For each everyday household item or piece of furniture, Seuss made up a silly rhyme. There's the WOSET in the CLOSET and the BOFA on the SOFA, the GEELING on the CEILING
Simone
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the rhymes they were so funny!
Gavin Abdollahi
Ok, I think I'm being a little mean to this book. I'd like to give it four stars, it being a Dr. Seuss book and all, but... I can't.
Cat in the Hat and the Lorax were good. Still a ramble of nonsense, but good.
This, however... Was just too much.
So, it's about a kid who lives in this house full of weird monster like things, and the whole story goes like: There's a wocket in my pocket and a nookbrush on my toothbrush and a dozet in my closet and a lish in my dish and a...
Though, I have to say, he's
Christa Harmon
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Okay so technically the six-year-old read this to me (SO PROUD) but I supervised and thus am counting it anyway.
Dave
Apr 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
Well my nephew loves it, so good enough for me! Like other Dr Seuss books, wonderful to read aloud.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Yet another fun and hilarious story from the mind of Dr. Seuss.
Jonathan Katz
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have read it and also read it many times to my sister -- she loves this book
Bri
ah, another one of my childhood favorites!
Darinda
A silly, nonsensical rhyming book. Entertaining for kids, but not one of the better Dr. Seuss books.
Josiah
Nov 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book is uncanny in its ability to be pleasantly funny. There's a Wocket in My Pocket should prove an enjoyable read for almost anyone, as it specializes in the type of offbeat rhyming humor that shows Dr. Seuss to be quite a writer, at his best. I would definitely give one and a half stars to this book.
Aneesa
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This guy can get away with anything.
Maria
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngreader-5-13
I think this one was my fave for awhile. The made up words were fun.
Anne
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
I don't care if you believe it

that's the kind of house I live in

and I hope we never leave it

Oh Dr. Suess, you make me smile so.
Leland T-Money Fortier
Apparently making up words is the key to becoming famous: Dr. Seuss, Red Hot Chili Peppers, scat jazz, Donald Trump.

Dr. Seuss has once again tried to slip some innuendos into his books, making them unsafe for childrens' eyes and ears. This book was to be followed by a sequel titled "Is that a wocket in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
Bronwyn
We have the board book of this and it doesn’t even include the wocket! Otherwise it’s cute and silly.
Wade
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Though the only Wocket and Pocket are on the cover, the rest of the book is chock full of rhyming nonsense goodness with creatures that rhyme with household objects. Classic Dr. Seuss!
Becca
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahh! I love this book! Now where's my wocket?
Alexandra Hunter
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These books are wonderful, imaginative and wacky. Lots of made up words, good for perhaps year 2 in establishing words.
Marlene
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you checked for strange rhyming critters in your house? We checked the entire classroom and never found a single nook, woset, or yeps though the search was terribly fun. Good luck at your house!
Lanie
Art is beyond adorable & all the names of the wacky little critters are so fun to say. The Insanity of dr. Suess is fun for both kiddies and adults reading to them. :) highly recommended.
Aj Matula
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has helped me fully appreciate the Jurtain in my curtain.
Emily Kay
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
its nice and relay funny prfict for kids of all ageis
Seuss Lovers: There's a Wocket in my Pocket! 1 5 Dec 06, 2012 07:20PM

• Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • Birthday Monsters!
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words
  • Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones
  • The Nose Book
  • Little Cloud
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
“All those Nupboards in the Cupboards they're good fun to have about. But that Nooth gush on my tooth brush.....Him I could do without.” 153 likes