Start by marking “The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)

The Snowy Day

(Peter #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  96,141 ratings  ·  3,205 reviews
Winner of the 1963 Caldecott Medal!

No book has captured the magic and sense of possibility of the first snowfall better than The Snowy Day. Universal in its appeal, the story has become a favorite of millions, as it reveals a child's wonder at a new world, and the hope of capturing and keeping that wonder forever.

The adventures of a little boy in the city on a very snowy
Published October 28th 1976 by Puffin Books (first published November 5th 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Snowy Day, please sign up.
Bill This is a fabulous book. I remember it from my childhood and from reading it to my children.
I hope you found a copy to share at your childcare…more
I hope you found a copy to share at your childcare centre. There is also an Ezra Jack Keats foundation which has lots of other good books and related material http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/read-a...
(less)

·  96,141 ratings  ·  3,205 reviews

Start your review of The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
Hilary
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This looks as if it's a well known favourite in the US but we had not seen this book and it couldn't be found in the library. We suggested they bought a copy, and obligingly they did. This is a lovely story of a young boy waking up to the excitement of his landscape transformed by snow. The colours and patterns in this book are beautiful, the simple concept of adventuring in the snow and returning to a loving home makes a great read for young children who can share the joy and the magic with ...more
Mariah Roze
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute, simple story that my students enjoyed :)
jo
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Until The Snowy Day (published in 1963), American children's books featured white children as the heroes (if you know of one that didn't, I'd love to hear about it). In the biography on his website, Ezra Jack Keats says:
Then began an experience that turned my life around—working on a book with a black kid as hero. None of the manuscripts I’d been illustrating featured any black kids—except for token blacks in the background. My book would have him there simply because he should have been there
Alex
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-books
One of the great children's classics, and one of my kid's favorite books, and one of mine too. I love the beautiful art - the snowflakes on the last page, and the pattern on Peter's mom's dress. I love how uncalculated it is, how little it seems to be trying. It operates on a young kid's wavelength.

This year around the holiday season there were Snowy Day stamps, and every card we got that had one, my kid got all excited. "Nowy Day!" he would yell.

There's a statue of Peter and his dog, by the
Cyndi
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here are the things I discovered about Mr. H, my grandson with this book. He wants to ski...He's four years old and has never seen anyone ski in real life. Also, Mr. H is hoping for "lots and lots" of snow this winter...he doesn't have to shovel. And last, he loves this book and Peter is his new friend.
Now, if you will excuse us, Mr. H has discovered the joy of making footprints in the play dough...while standing on the table.
Calista
I loved this book. I wanted to read something about winter and snow. I miss having snow and I miss Michigan. The artwork is quiet and muted like snow. It is simple and really helps set the tone of the story. This is for younger kids or kids of all ages. It is simply told which again sets the tone perfectly.

As we read this book, the kids would say, "I've done that", or "we made snow angels this years" or "We didn't have enough snow this year to make our own snowman". They enjoyed it.

I like this
Ronyell
Snowy

“The Snowy Day” is a Caldecott Medal Award winning book by Ezra Jack Keats that details Peter’s adventures on a snowy day. “The Snowy Day” is clearly one of Ezra Jack Keats’ most enchanting books for children!

Ezra Jack Keats has done a great job at both illustrating and writing this story. Ezra Jack Keats’ illustrations are truly creative and colorful to look at as the characters and the environment surrounding them look like something cut out of a cardboard as the characters and the environment
Kathryn
Gosh, this cover just takes me back to my childhood! I don't know that the book was ever a "favorite" of mine, but I do remember the little boy in his snowsuit (I was obsessed with that snowsuit!) and his fun in the snow. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Ezra Jack Keats and have read several of Peter's stories through the years.

I still adore Peter's excitement over the snow, and the simple but loving way his story is told. It really captures the child's joy in the little things; making
B. P. Rinehart
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids, people interested in what I read as a child
Recommended to B. P. by: Green Valley Elementary School
Ezra Jack Keats was a children's writer/illustrator primarily active during the 60s &70s. He was the 3rd child of Polish-Jewish immigrants and lived much of his life in his native Brooklyn, NYC. I could go on about that but what I want to focus on is this book and Mr. Keats' literary canon in relation to me in the 1990s.

The book is a very simple tale of a little boy who goes out and explores his neighborhood in the snow--nothing complicated. So why is this book so celebrated 49 years later?
Manybooks
Always having loved winter, freezing temperatures and naturally also looking at and playing in the snow (and indeed, considerably more than ANY other season, but in particular and especially absolutely and vehemently despising most of the summer with its high heat and horrible, sticky and clammy humidexes) I am actually more than somewhat frustrated and disappointed that because I was born in Germany and lived in Germany until I was ten years old (when my family immigrated to Canada), I actually ...more
David
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Looking at this book actually made me tear up a little. Going through some boxes I saw this lying at the bottom and was instantly transported across space and time to my childhood. I remembered for the first time in many many years a time when I was innocent, and a certain clarity that this novel brought me.

You might be sneering or contorting your face in some representation of disbelief, (stop doing that btw, it’s not flattering) but stay with me for a second and let me explain.
It was my second
Jon Nakapalau
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The minimalist art really adds to this story of discovery. Will take you back to a time when the world was filled with endless possibilities.
unknown
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nina, 2014
I like to imagine this book from the boy's parents' perspective.

"But when he woke up, the snow was still there, and new snow was falling!"

..and dad is outside swearing as he tries to shovel out his snowed-in car so he can go to work. Meanwhile, mom has slipped and fallen on the puddle of water left when the snowball the idiot child tried to carry inside in his pocket melted. She calls and calls for help, but her son doesn't hear her because he is outside making snow angels and pathetic
Laima
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

The Snowy Day was a 1963 Caldecott Medal winner. Now, 50 years later, this book is still available at your local library. It was written and illustrated for children ages 3 to 8. I guess it just shows that a simple story and colorful pictures can withstand the test of time.

This is a story of what a young child does on a snowy day. It may be a bit nostalgic for some older readers. Perhaps for children growing up in the 60’s and 70’s it was a fine book to read. We
Maggie
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There's a reason this book is a classic, Keats was able to really listen to the phrase "less is more" when he created this perfect little kids book. The pictures are warm and inviting, they directly interact with the text, making each page a fun adventure playing in the winter. Peter explores many of my favorite aspects of palyign with snow, from snow ball fights (though he decides not to take part), to snow angels, to trying to hold on to snow even inside (even though the snow ball melts in his ...more
Lata
Lovely little book I picked up on impulse. Beautiful collages of Peter having fun in the snow. Simple, sweet story of a young child on a winter's day.
Amy
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
I haven't read this to my niece and nephew, and I don't know if I ever will. My mom read this to me when I was a kid, and I *love* this book. I love Peter's little red suit, I love the colors and illustrations in this book, I love the little snow angels and the little duck feet Peter makes when he walks. I love the plop of snow falling on his head--just *everything*! I'd be heartbroken if my niece and nephew didn't love this one, too, and to be honest, I kind of just want The Snowy Day to always ...more
Willow
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was a wee one. It made me think a snowy day is magical. :D
Eyehavenofilter
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter wakes up to a snow covers world outside his window.in his red snow suit he sets out to explore this new world. The snow makes wonderful crunching noises as he leaves footprints behind him. Them he drags his feet and leaves long streaks in the snow.he uses a stick to make a third line in the snow and to encouraged snow to fall from a nearby tree.some of it gals right on his head.
He tries to join in with the older boys in a snowball fight but its a little to advanced for him, so he tries
Greg
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
This book looks really familiar, like maybe I actually read it as a child. I've learned that even though I thought that I read as a child I must have only read things that would never be deemed 'classics', or maybe I just only re-read the same books over and over again.
This book captures a nice nostalgia for being little and having a snow day, when the time seemed to stretch out forever and so much shit was packed into the day that now it's baffling how you could ever do so much.
As a little
Pablo Coppola
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This realistic fiction story provides detailed illustrations to place the reader in a winter backdrop with a story about a little boy named Peter waking up to a beautiful snowy day. It’s a great story for someone who has not experienced a snowy day because the author provides insight on Bobby’s adventures throughout the day. The author's multicultural perspective will leave you content, you’ll find the vibrant colors pleasing to your eye and Bobby’s emotions throughout the story will leave you ...more
Rossy
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book is adorable! We share Peter's adventures as he plays through a great day of snow, making snowballs, a smiling snowman, a cute snow angel, and walking around making different tracks and patterns!
Becca
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
the illustrations alone in this book make it worth having.
Sierra Gonzales
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Snowy Day written by Ezra Jacks Keats is an everyday tale about a young boy named Peter experiencing his first day in snow. This Caldecott award winner depicts the boys interests and discoveries as he travels and explores in this winter wonderland.

This selection definitely deserved the Caldecott Award because:
~The new White Wonderland as displayed in the illustrations was actually a plethora of colors, which differentiates from most illustrators depictions of snow; instead of the
Lisa Vegan
If you ever played in the snow as a kid, it will bring back fond memories. If you read this picture book to young kids who have not yet experienced the pleasure of all the fun they can have in the snow, it will give them a taste of what it can be like, and it will most likely cause them to plead with you to take them somewhere snowy.

So, I did not first read this/have it read to me on June 26, 2008. It turns out our school librarian introduced it to my fourth grade class when it was first
midnightfaerie
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book is also a part of the Kindergarten reading plan for our charter school and we read it today. Although I could see no great wonder in the story, or the "okay" illustrations that won a Caldecott award, my 5 yr old son's whole face was lit up during the entire read. Perhaps because it's August, the time of year that we get tired of the heat and bugs and look forward to sledding and snowball fights, that he enjoyed it so much. In any case, he loved it and wanted to read it again, so we'll ...more
Tracey
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just downright adorable. Watching Peter enjoy his snow day reminded me of when I was a kid and would stay out as long as possible in my new found winter wonderland. The drawing of his snowsuit is too funny. The little part sticking up at the top is so cute. I'd read this to any child for a bedtime story, especially in these cold winter months.
Melody
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at my library the other day and was amazed to see the 50th Anniversary sticker on the cover. Really? FIFTY? No matter, this lovely story is timeless and adorable and wonderful. May it live another 50 years... and more.

2008 Truly classic, wonderful and timeless.
SurLeFur ©
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever seen real snow before? In the book, “The Snowy Day” by Ezra Jack Keats we learn more about it!
Kate
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute, short story book about a little boy and his adventures in freshly fallen snow.
Jaycee Singleton Review 5 1 3 Mar 15, 2019 05:05PM

• The Mitten
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • Owl Moon
  • Corduroy
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing!
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • The Little House
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business
  • Strega Nona (Strega Nona, #1)
  • Curious George
  • The Giving Tree
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • Charlotte's Web
FROM WEBSITE:
Long before multicultural characters and themes were fashionable, Ezra Jack Keats crossed social boundaries by being the first American picture-book maker to give the black child a central place in children’s literature.

In the books that Keats wrote and illustrated, he used his special artistic techniques to portray his subjects in a unique manner. One of these was his blending of

Peter (7 books)
  • Whistle for Willie
  • Peter's Chair
  • A Letter to Amy
  • Goggles!
  • Hi, Cat!
  • Pet Show!
“One winter morning Peter woke up and looked out the window. Snow had fallen during the night. It covered everything as far as he could see.” 32 likes