Start by marking “Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)

Blood Rose Rebellion

(Blood Rose Rebellion #1)

In a world where social prestige derives from a trifecta of blood, money, and magic, one girl has the ability to break the spell that holds the social order in place.

Sixteen-year-old Anna Arden is barred from society by a defect of blood. Though her family is part of the Luminate, powerful users of magic, she is Barren, unable to perform the simplest spells. Anna would do
Published March 28th 2017 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Blood Rose Rebellion, please sign up.
Ana (thestarslisten) It's very different from the Red Queen series. Their only similarity is that the girl has a unique power and the people are defined by their nature…moreIt's very different from the Red Queen series. Their only similarity is that the girl has a unique power and the people are defined by their nature whether they have power or not. I can't say which is better because it only depends on the reader and in my opinion they're both very different stories. I have not read this book though.(less)
Rosalyn Eves Yes--after getting some feedback from booksellers, the publisher decided to go with a white background instead.
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,084 books — 8,396 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
215 books — 1,559 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“I ruined my sister’s debut. I spoiled her illusions. And I kissed the man she’d hoped to marry.”
Oh my god this book is so awful and silly. Before like a third of the book, the main character has already kissed three different guys.

You think I'm exaggerating? I'm not.

Kiss No. 1: I was absurdly aware of how close his mouth was to mine, of the fluttering of my pulse in my throat, of the cold stars overhead. My eyes slid shut. Freddy bent his head and laid a kiss like a prayer on my mouth.

With F
Melanie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Repetitive info dumps, left field plot twists, and uncomfortable cousin kissing. Yeah, this book was a chore to read, to say the least, and it is easily the worst book I've read so far in 2017.

“Has no one told you, child, not to wander in unfamiliar woods? Have you not read your fairy tales?”

This is a historical fantasy novel, set in 19th century Hungary, with some Hungarian folklore. The author actually places rea
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
1 Star

Overall:

description

I’m super impressed I managed to finish. This book and I weren’t getting along from page one, but I refuse to DNF 3 different review books in one week, so here we are. This was a lesson in perseverance and I feel I succeeded. Go me.

…but that might be the only good thing I have to say about this book??

This story revolves around Anna, a girl who is “barren” in an alternate version of 1850s Hungary with a complicated magical system. 'Barren' in this context is supposed to mean that
Nastassja
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction with magical elements

*I received this ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

*Before starting this book, I would highly recommend to familiarize yourself with the glossary in the end of the book, so you could properly read and understand Hungarian names and definitions.*

◆ The first and foremost merit of this book is its setting: 19th century Hungary. This novel is partly a historical fiction/alternative history and partly displays the real revolution that

Simona Bartolotta
*I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

~ Review posted on March 14th ~ Release date March 28th ~

“A spark of indignation lit me, warming me in the evening air. How dare this Gypsy accuse me of being unclean?”

Blood Rose Rebellion was one of my most anticipated reads of 2017, because, let us be honest, you can’t really dangle a YA fantasy with such a unique setting in front of me and expect me not to drool. I did drool over it, I did yearn for it, a
Joshee Kun (조수아)
My written interview with Rosalyn Eves can be found here.

I was different. I could choose to see it as a gift. I could embrace my own power. I could change the world. —Anna

I've noticed that some readers have been marking this book as DNF, so it's the perfect time for me to voice my thoughts and opinions on this fantastic start to a trilogy. I hope that my review will persuade you not to expect the worst from this book. Nevertheless, I promise to be objective as I possibly can.

Essentially, Blood R
Jessica
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Patricia C. Wrede's SORCERY AND CECELIA and Alyxandra Harvey's LOVEGROVE LEGACY rejoice! For lo, there is an exciting new entry in the historical fantasy genre! And it has everything you could want: magic! Romance! Scandal! Adventure! Ballgowns!

And not only do we have a proper Victorian miss with a legacy of magic, but we have the magic and folklore of Hungary, and the intrigue of the Austro-Hungarian Empire shortly before the outbreak of WWI. So there's a lot going on, and all of it fas
Lex
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
*I received this book from a publisher in exchange for a review.*

I was excited to read this book because it takes place in Hungary and I’m Hungarian. It’s always good to see when a foreign author chooses my country to their book. But…

description

I appreciate that she tried (!!!) to use my language because it’s a hard one. It’s one of a kind. So we really appreciate when somebody tries to speak it. BUT!

description

It is one thing when somebody can’t pronounce the words correctly; it’s totally okay and understandable. Bu
Candace Robinson
This is one of the slowest books I have ever read! 😱 Just. So. Slow. The author can write well, but this was probably the first time ever I have fallen asleep while reading a book...
Cesar
Jul 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
1 star

*sigh*

Thank God I'm done with this piece of trash.

description

When I first heard about this book, I thought it sounded interesting. I never read a book where it took place in Hungary. So I marked as to-read.

Then the reviews started to come in and I was concerned for a while. I tried to keep an open mind about it because I thought I might find something good in the book. And my dumbass bought the book (I had a coupon) and here I am now, looking back at the time I wasted reading this crappy book. And bo
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful magical story! I fell in love with Anna, Gabor, Noemi, Matyas, and Eben Hunger! And I loved the world especially when we finally got to Hungary! I can't wait for book 2!!!
Erin Dunn
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf

Thank you to Netgalley for providing a free ebook copy of Blood Rose Rebellion By: Rosalyn Eves in exchange for an honest review.

Guys, I can't believe I didn't like this one. Blood Rose Rebellion is a book that I was looking forward to so much, but I only made it to 20% and I had to DNF it. The summary sounded so promising, but to be honest I was bored silly! I couldn't connect to any of the characters or anything in the story.
#DNFAlert

Overall there just
Helen
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rosalyn Eves' storytelling will transport you to the Victorian Era, where Anna, born barren of magic, struggles to find her identity and place in a world ruled by a magical society. In a witty and engaging style, Rosalyn weaves together a rich historical fantasy that comes complete with power struggles, political unrest, competing love interests, and magical creatures. I truly cannot say enough wonderful things about this story (and I cannot wait for book two!).
Minni Mouse
"I won a copy of this book in a giveaway!" soon turned into "Who wants this book? I'll send you my copy as long as you finish the book and write my review for me. Anybody? Anyone? Bueller?"

Note: all quotations are taken from an advanced copy of the book and might be subject to change upon final publication. They reveal no major plot nor character points.

I've heard this book compared to the likes of Les Misérables, Red Queen, The Lovegrove Legacy, and even The Grisha series. To that, I say this
Celeste_pewter
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's pretty hard to impress me these days, but I was impressed with this book. Review to come.
Tasha Seegmiller
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stunning story telling, world building, magic - this book will let new readers fall in love with Hungary, history, and the multi-layered rebellion crafted around a girl trying to determine what her role is in the world.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
*I received a free ARC copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

DNF 55%

Anyone who knows me, knows I am not one to give up easily. But I have come to learn that given how busy I am, I need to start learning to give up on books that do not bring me any pleasure. Sorry to say this is such a book.

From what I have read, I must say there was nothing special about this book. Honestly, it was more of poor YA Romance trying to disguise itself as YA Fantasy.

My issues with this:
1. Underexpla
Rebekah
There is quite a few things that goes in this books favor. 19th century setting, a touch of Salvic mythology, Eastern Europe, faulty society, oppressed people ready for rebellion, a coming of age character just to name a few.

So our main character is Anna and Anna drove me nuts! But to be fair to the character it makes a little sense since she is so young. I had a hard time connecting with her though. She started off so shallow, so immature, so love-sick, it was hard to connect and often times ma
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This ARC copy was sent to me by the publisher, Random House Children’s, via NetGalley for an honest review.

Opinion: As soon as I requested this book on Netgalley.com, I had my fingers crossed for DAYS in the hopes that I would be accepted to read and review it. After seeing quite a bit of hype about the release of this book on Goodreads and Bookstagram, I read the description and immediately felt the gut-wrenching yearning to get my hands on an ARC copy! Not only did I get that ARC
Jeff Giles
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an elegant, gripping start for a trilogy! I love the world Rosalyn Eves has made for us. "Blood Rose Rebellion" is set in the 19th century, and, like the best historical novels, it's so suffused with atmosphere and period detail that it feels like it was written then, too. Anna is a British girl who's been born into the aristocracy, which controls magic as if it were money. She SHOULD be able to cast spells. Instead, she has a weird, ungovernable ability to subvert other people's. When her ...more
Vic James
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clear your diaries for this one, because once you pick up BLOOD ROSE REBELLION you will NOT want to put it down. The intricacy and fine detail in Eves's world - an alternate nineteenth century England and Hungary - demand to be savoured.

The ingredients of the story tick all the right boxes for a thrilling YA read: a glamorous and ruthless magical elite, a resourceful and big-hearted heroine found lacking by her society, and an intelligent, brooding love interest. But what Eves does with them put
Aly Locatelli
Rating: 3.5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed Blood Rose Rebellion and read over 250 pages at work in one shift. If I hadn't decided to play Assassin's Creed II, I would've probably finished this sooner. Alas, gaming has taken over my life and Blood Rose Rebellion had to wait.

For a long while, I debated between giving this book 2 or 3 stars. It starts off strongly, with the main character, Anna, destroying her sister's debut as a budding Luminate as well as a woman of society. The magic system in Blood
~Bellegirl91~
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc-books
So after MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUUUUUCH consideration and as painful for me as this was to do, I did my first DNF. I have done very few of those YEARS ago BUT in the last 7 years or so of REALLY loving and finding book genres I actually enjoy, I've always read/finished those even if they did end up once in awhile a rare 2-3 stars. But this one I seriously could NOT get into this each time I picked it up and felt like I was forcing myself to read this every time! I hated it if I'm being honest ...more
Carrie
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Anna Arden has always felt a bit left out from her family since she was born without the ability to use magic and the rest of her family are Luminate and very prominent in society. Anna however thought she had found her happiness with a young man but he would only see her in secret while ending up courting her sister.

Finding that her romance was not what she thought causes Anna to inadvertently break her sister's debutante spell which in turn gets Anna sent away to her family’s once powerful bu
Francesgrace Ferland
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A hero for the new millennium, Anna Arden is perfectly fleshed, palpably believable girl struggling with the unimaginable. In a world where the magical systems of surprisingly new and yet achingly familiar, Anna has a power no one else seems to: the power to destroy magic. Sent away from the land of her birth, she travels to Hungary and tumbles headfirst into political unrest, filled with scenes social injustice. Add a whole host of female characters, toss in a beautiful Romani boy just for spic ...more
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
I honestly don't understand why so many people hate this.

The Writing and Worldbuilding

I really liked the writing! It was very well done and worked both as a historical novel and a YA fantasy. I never really felt bored, even when little was happening. There were a few times when I was sort of confused as to what was happening, especially near the very end, but as a whole, I loved it.

I liked the themes, but they didn't really have the emotional impact they were obviously intended to. Same goes f
Fables&Wren
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
WrensReads Review:

Thanks for the ARC, NetGallery. You the man!
This is my opinion and my opinion only.

I hate when a book has a lot of potential and it falls flat. That's what happened here. The writing was good enough, the story was interesting, the setting was cool, the characters weren't likable but I didn't hate them either.. it honestly felt like a chore to get through. I got about half way and found myself thinking about the next book I was going to read. I can't do it.

WrensReads | Goodread
Jodi
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This YA fantasy takes place in an alternate 19th C world with magic, rebellion, nobles & revolutionaries in the Austro-Hungarian Empire – A captivating page-turner with beautiful, lyrical, transporative language.
Danielle
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Elegant, engaging, transporting. BLOOD ROSE REBELLION felt like a magical postcard to another place and time, a gorgeous escape to a world of spells and romance. I loved spending time in Eves' world, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
$1.99 on US Amazon. Here is another one with iffy reviews...

• Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • Murder, Magic, and What We Wore
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
  • Dark Breaks the Dawn (Dark Breaks the Dawn Duology, #1)
  • Skandal (Sekret, #2)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • When I Wake
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Stone Field
  • The Shadow Hour (The Girl at Midnight, #2)
  • Glitter (Glitter #1)
  • You and Me and the End of the World
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
  • The Crown's Fate (The Crown's Game, #2)
Rosalyn Eves grew up in the Rocky Mountains, dividing her time between reading books and bossing her siblings into performing her dramatic scripts. As an adult, the telling and reading of stories is still one of her favorite things to do. When she's not reading or writing, she enjoys spending time with her chemistry professor husband and three children, watching British period pieces, or hiking th ...more

Blood Rose Rebellion (3 books)
  • Lost Crow Conspiracy (Blood Rose Rebellion, #2)
  • Winter War Awakening (Blood Rose Rebelion #3)
“Some rebels are made, not born” 3 likes