Start by marking “Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge” as Want to Read:
Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge

Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge

Filled with magic and fierce emotion, Lisa Jensen's multilayered novel will make you question all you think you know about beauty, beastliness, and happily ever after.

They say Château Beaumont is cursed. But servant-girl Lucie can’t believe such foolishness about handsome Jean-Loup Christian Henri LeNoir, Chevalier de Beaumont, master of the estate. But when the chevalier'
Published July 10th 2018 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Beast, please sign up.
Lisa Jensen Expected publication date is March, 2017!
UPDATE: It's now official: Beast is coming out July 10, 2018!…more
Expected publication date is March, 2017!
UPDATE: It's now official: Beast is coming out July 10, 2018!(less)

Start your review of Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
Kara
Apr 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm one-starring this because I'm mad. Very mad. Let me explain.

This book turned me off very early with a brutal rape scene, so MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING for that, and it should be in the Goodreads blurb so that any rape survivors know ahead of time before stumbling on that by accident.

I read 22% of the book in and I cannot possibly see how this man can get transformed into a beast and redeem himself. Because, see, here's the thing: I don't give a SHIT if the beast acts like a completely differen
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest |

One of my favorite books while I was growing up was the Beauty and the Beast. I usually love retellings,as they show me a different side of the story that might be, that I have never considered before. This book, however, almost ruined it all for me. The only reason it didn't was because I wouldn't let one bad retelling to ruin my childhood favorite!

The story is about Lucie, who is a servant in Jean Leup's palace. Through Lucie's story, we see
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I read Jensen's Alias Hook a few years back, and that was a way better read for me. We've established from that and Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge that this author knows how to turn her favorite stories into completely different books.

In Beast, the heroine Lucie is turned into a candle--I appreciated the unique perspective, but that's the only positive thing I can say about this one. For one, I was incredibly bored. Since the narrator is, well, an inanimate object, there were times when she (
[Shai] Bibliophage
Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales, hence, I was expecting that this retelling written by Lisa Jensen will be great. However, I was not amazed, especially on that rape part and on the flow of the story. There are a lot of parts that are uninteresting to look into, remarkably when the Beast and Lucie were the only two left in the Chateau Beamount after the witch, Mere Sophie, cast her spell to Jean-Loup as a form of punishment for his wrongdoings.

Another thing that I f
Kelly Brigid ♡
“The heart revels in its mysteries. Defy them at your peril. Embrace them if you dare. That is where magic begins.”

Wow, I’m just filled with unpopular opinions lately, aren’t I? I genuinely enjoyed this retelling, and thought it offered such a unique take on the classic tale. While most retellings alter the perspectives of the two chief characters – in this case, being the Beast and Beauty – I love how Jensen chose to have the story narrated from a third character – Lucie, a servant
Erin
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced ebook in exchange for an honest review.

PLEASE don't let this book pass you by. Lisa Jensen's personal spin on a "tale as old as
time " is perhaps one of my favorite retellings of Beauty and the Beast. People,
it's full of magical goodness and I slowed my pace with the last few chapters because I LOVED it!

We have peasant girl Lucie, who narrates our story. Lucie find herself working at the Chateau Beaumont for the selfish and cruel Chevalier Jean-Loup. A man
Jackie
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
This should be titled: How to ruin my favorite fairytale 101.

“Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge” begins with Lucie a girl in need of a job who finds her place working as a maid under a cruel master and when he finds himself transformed into a hideous beast to pay for his crimes and she too is bewitched to watch his suffering until a girl arrives with the ability to set him free if and only if she can fall in love with a monster.

Let’s get right to it and say this is not your Disney fairytale be
Stacee
DNF at 12%

I really liked the idea of this and was eager to see how this retelling worked, but it’s a big nope from me.

I’m not going to continue a book that has a two page rape scene of the MC. Oh and it’s by the other MC of the story and that’s who she falls in love with? The question mark applies to the love part, not the character involved.

**Huge thanks to Candlewick Press for providing the arc free of charge**
Aila

Well, this made for a rather peculiar retelling.

Before I begin the actual review, I do want to let readers know about certain important triggers that they should be notified of:
- 12% into the book, a rape scene occurs where the heroine experiences it - and the consequences - first hand. It is mildly described.
- 16% into the book, the heroine is devastated after the rape and tries to drown herself.
These are not light topics, and it was rather shocking to see it in the story, and so ear
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards
Yet another New adult book pretending to be YA. I believe this one isn't available in bookstores and MG libraries and offered to 11-13 YO children. Not like you-know-who books. I'll read it at some point, but I'm tired of this trend of offering adult material to young children.
Lisa Jensen
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Seriously, I must think this is a 5-star book, or I wouldn't have spent years writing it! But giving my own books 5 stars just seems weird to me. Anyway, the opinion that really matters is yours!
Mel (Epic Reading)
DNF @ 42%

There is one fundamental problem in Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge for me, and it can be boiled down to a simple principle; and yet I realize that it's not as simple at the same time.

Trigger warning: an act of rape is the primary focus in this story (and is detailed out in the story) and this act is the focus of the discussion below.

Falling in Love
I believe that people can genuinely fall in love with a captor (above and beyond Stockholm syndrome). I also believe that people can fall
Minni Mouse
DNF around 35% and 1.5 starts because hel-lo, most disliked-by-Goodreads book of the year. You'll be hard pressed to find a review that isn't a one star, spat on, or full of rage. I'm bizarrely drawn to dark and controversial subject matter, though, so some part of me thought I'd end up secretly enjoying this book.

Nope.

THE GOOD
1) The potential and/or attempt at creativity. From what I read what I learned through other reviews, this is less a story about Belle and the Beast as it is about the can
Scrill
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, romance
ARC received from Netgalley for a fair review.

When Lucie begins working at Château Beaumont she is besotted with it’s master Jean-Loupe, despite the rumors of a curse. That is until she is affected by his monstrous personality. A spell is cast on him turning him into a beast and Luce gets her wish to watch him suffer. But as time passes she learns that the beast that has taken Jean-Loupe’s place is actually nothing like the cruel man.

The Story-
This book was not at all what I was expecting, and
Alexandra
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

Not only am I fan a hard-core fan of everything Beauty and the Beast related but also I enjoy books retelling the 'tale as old as time'. Lisa Jensen's second book of retelling characters from fairy tales deals with the Beast. If you haven't read her book "Alias Hook", do so. It's amazing!

So here's a trigger warning: there's a rape scene early in the book. Although I read the ARC, I do
***Trigger warning: This story contains a rape scene and attempted suicide***

I love fairytale retellings and Beauty and the Beast is a particular favourite of mine so I was really excited for this book. Especially when I realised that Lisa Jensen was going to turn things around by making the beast the hero rather than the prince. I was really curious to see how that would work and had very high hopes for this story but unfortunately it didn't quite live up to expectations.

I think the first thing
Faith Simon
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an advanced copy of this title from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3 1/2 stars.
When you hear of a Beauty and the Beast re-telling, they all tend to be really similar in some way, and after awhile you just can't pretend you sense much originality after so many so alike each other. But this was really original and really enjoyable.
Before I decided to ultimately read this book (and ended up really enjoying it), I read a few unhappy reviews on it, and really questioned whet
Kelsey
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
***I was given an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review ***

*Trigger warnings at the end of my review*

So you think you know the story of Beauty and the Beast? Do you think you've read all of the retellings? Think you know how this story ends? Well...be prepared to find a unique take on this beloved classic...

What if the real hero wasn't the Prince in the end? Or even Belle? What about the Beast? Isn't he the one who has a change of heart and becomes a better "person"?
J.A. Ironside
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Here's the thing: fairy tales are sexist in general, if not downright misogynistic. If you are reworking a fairy tale for today's audience, you are already contending with hundreds of years folk tradition feeding the zeitgeist. Let's also remember that fairy tales were never originally intended for children. Some were cautionary tales for those entering adulthood (a concept which is fluid and depends greatly on the period in history) or
Rylee Richard
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
I can’t believe I was almost turned away from this book. It’s not my favorite retelling, but it’s still unique and a worthy read for Beauty and the Beast fans. (My favorite remains Sunshine by Robin McKinley––I really should write a review for that one of these days.)

Beauty and the Beast has always been a story criticized for its moral grayness and the use of Stockholm syndrome. And yet from what I’ve seen this retelling is criticized more heavily because of the rape component. Trigger warning,
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
I still haven't completely settled on my rating, so watch this space!

This book had quite a slow pace, particularly at the start.

The writing style was quite lyrical, which definitely helped to draw me in.

The perspective of the story was a bit odd, and I liked that it tried for something different, but it just didn't really connect with me a great deal.

It actually dealt with really heavy stuff, which I wasn't at all expecting. I was keen for another cute BATB story, but it was so completely differ
Kayla
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

If you're looking for a cute romantic story of Beauty and the Beast, then just don't read this! In this story we follow Lucie who is the housemaid of the beast before he's the beast. So he is being a real jerk to her and something else happens between them that's spoiler-ish and so Lucie tries to leave the castle but then stumbles on a woman who can ge
Lauren (The Novel Lush)
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, retellings, may-2018
Okay, uuuuuum, okay. So thoughts. Firstly, I got this book in my grabby little hands and was reading it within the hour and continued to binge-read it in one sitting (at work, mind you), and did not, COULD not put it down until completion. My knee-jerk reaction is to give it 5 stars because I was so enraptured, but the truth is, the beginning of the book sets you up to think it's going to be way more problematic than it is.

This book is dark, and the first 1/3 needs several TRIGGER WARNINGS for R
Jenny Q
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I think I've read at least half a dozen Beauty and the Beast-inspired books in the past year in historical romance, contemporary romance, and young adult. It's one of my favorite types of stories. This one is unique in that it takes place during the original time period in France and features some wonderful twists that turn the story on its head. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The first difference you'll notice is that this story is narrated by Lucie, a young woman in desperate need of a serving positi
catherine ♡
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
Actual Rating: 2

Content Warning: graphic rape scene

I tried really, really hard to like this. I usually love retellings, and Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales. In the end, this book didn't work for me for a number of reasons.

Jean-Loup Christian Henri LeNoir, Chevalier de Beaumont, is cruel. And Lucie, a servant-girl, suffers at his hand. When she runs into a wisewoman, her wish is granted: the chevalier will suffer. He is turned into a monstrous Beast. And yet...the beast is
Julie
Jan 29, 2018 added it
Kathy - Books & Munches
I liked the way this story went down! I can’t really elaborate since that would spoil half the story but to me, this is a pretty good retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Virtue is yours to make of what you will, by your actions, by your character. No one else can ever take it from you.

Our main characters are Lucie and Jean-Loup / Beast.
Lucie herself is very focused on getting revenge, wanting to see Beast suffer. She honestly doesn’t bother with anything else but that. I could totally understand w
Figgy
Review to come. In the meantime...

This story plays on a lot of elements from the original story, but there are certain things that just plain don't make sense.

The story is told from the point of view of a servant girl, new to the manor, and the chevalier rapes her early on. His transformation into a beast is as a result of his mistreatment of her and many others.

But the curse itself is riddled with issues.

Jean-Loup, the guy who is cursed and turned into a beast, needs to find a virtuous woman wh
Tangled N Books
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Candlewick Press for sharing an early release of this title.

I'm in awe and humbled by this clever tale told through the eyes of a lowly chambermaid. I was expecting splendor and grace, I wasn't prepared for the cruelty that comes with the abuse of power and wealth.

It is a wonder how stories are told of "the prince as the hero and the Beast as the spell" when in truth the Beast is more deserving of love and beauty. We are often disillusioned by a handsome face instead of recognizing
Vestacito
May 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. Note: I think this is a 'love' story in which the Beast is a rapist. I am so not into this.

• Twice Dead (The Necromancer's Song, #1)
  • The Beast's Heart
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Bacon Pie
  • The Forest Queen
  • Guardian of the Dead
  • The Girl with the Crooked Nose: A Tale of Murder, Obsession, and Forensic Artistry
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Bride and the Beast (Once Upon a Time, #2)
  • Beast
  • As Old as Time (Twisted Tales, #3)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Disdain (Tales of Cinder #2)
  • Rule (Rule, #1)
  • The Beast Prince (Fairy Tale, #1)
  • The Bone Knife (Dauntless Path, #1.5)
  • Seventh Born (The Witchling Academy #1)
  • Catherine
I've painted pottery, sold movie tickets and books, drawn cartoons, and hand-crafted fabric dolls. Now I get to write full-time; the hours are flexible and there's no dress code. My movie reviews appear on Rotten Tomatoes. My novel, "Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge," came out in 2018, from Candlewick. My historical/fantasy "Alias Hook," was published by Thomas Dunne Books in July, 2014. My histo ...more

News & Interviews