Start by marking “In My Kitchen: A Collection of New and Favorite Vegetarian Recipes” as Want to Read:
In My Kitchen: A Collection of New and Favorite Vegetarian Recipes

In My Kitchen: A Collection of New and Favorite Vegetarian Recipes

From the foremost authority on vegetarian cooking and one of the most trusted voices in food comes a carefully curated and updated collection of 100 favorite and most inspired recipes, reflecting how Deborah Madison loves to cook now.

Deborah Madison's newest book shares 100 beloved and innovative recipes from her vast repertoire, all pared down to the key ingredients neede
Published March 28th 2017 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about In My Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Kitchen

Hannah
May 02, 2017 added it
Shelves: arc
I have been thinking about how to write this review for a while now. Normally I do have some idea what I want to write and don't really have to think about it, especially when it comes to cookbooks. This one though is tricky - because it is a super beautiful book with absolutely stunning pictures. I also like the idea of recipes built from the things that grow in Deborah Madison's garden. So I should have loved this, but I didn't. I haven't tried a single recipe before my review copy expired bec ...more
Fiona
Jul 25, 2017 added it
Shelves: food, netgalley, e-books
This book has some of the most original vegetarian recipes I've seen and I can't wait to try them, although some of the ingredients will be difficult to buy in the U.K. I enjoyed reading the author's comments and tips. Her descriptions of the food and the photography makes everything look really mouth watering. This book would be an ideal gift for vegetarian friends and for those who aren't. Strongly recommended if you're looking for something different.

Thanks to NetGalley and Ten Speed Press fo
Chris
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
As usual, Deborah Madison does lovely things with veggies. I really can't think of a cookbook author who loves and respects them more, not as some sort of substitute for meat, but as their own gorgeous beasts. The photos are lovely, as always, and make me want to cook everything in the book. Yet the recipes are simple enough that most of them feel accessible even for weeknight dinners. One key -- you really do need the best, freshest ingredients for most of these recipes. Because of their simpli ...more
Julie  Webb
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This a beautiful book. It was exactly what I expected, though I read more than a few reviews knocking this? It seems that overall people expected everyday, read basic, fare. Though some of the ingredients are expensive or uncommon (I live in BFE Midwest) with the amazing advent of the internet things like saffron and smoked salt shouldn't perplex anyone. Really nearly all the ingredients are common, they are just put together in fancy sounding ways.

I like sophisticated food.

Here are a few examp
Julia
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deborah Madison, a James Beard-award winning vegetarian chef, brings us health-focused, vegetable-centered dishes in this delicately illustrated cookbook. Not all of the recipes are practical for day-to-day cooking, but most are a wonderful compliment to a long-time vegetarian's diet. I am by no means a good cook, but Deborah Madison's empathetic tone and thorough recipes helped guide me through new dishes so that I no longer had to rely on my tired routine of veggie sandwiches and uninspired sa ...more
Helga Nel
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
NOTE: I received this book curtesy of NetGalley and Ten Speed Press in exchange for an honest review.

I have to say that I absolutely love cookbooks but I do not like cookbooks when half the ingredients are unknown and especially if the unknown ingredients can not be found in South Africa at our local green grocer.

Other that that I enjoyed the book as it recipes together with the photo's makes you wish that you where able to make and enjoy it.
Amuse
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Madison presents favorite dishes, some lightened up. There are some I want to try, but not all. I find her platters of grilled veggies boring, but other recipes are intriguing. I don't get the sense there is a lot more for Madison to divulge about vegetarian cooking, but this is likely not her last cookbook.
Aja Marsh
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautifully put together book with a nice bit of thoughtful text and stories accompanying each recipe. Lovely photos as well. I like the way the text was integrated and typeset because while it feels very much like a cookbook, it has a more "bookish" quality than most which is a nice change. Even the binding and overall layout attribute to that as well.
Sandra
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really great book for vegetarians or people who want to incorporate more vegetarian meals into their life. The photography is very impressive and artistic, but not all the recipes were easy to make.

I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Carol
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophisticated Vegetarian

Author has a deep knowledge and respect for ingredients. Since there are many ingredients that would be difficult to find in your neighborhood store, the recipes aren't very practical but it's s beautiful book.
Ellie
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, some great ideas. Simply explained, this lives next to my reading chair in the kitchen.
Janet
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
Random and inaccessible. Too bad. I loved Vegetable Literacy.
Baila Klein
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive vegetarian cookbook. Interesting stories behind the recipes and how they came to be healthier versions of their original meals. Good vegan options.
Brad T.
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great pictures. I wish a few more recipes didn't have garlic and onions all through them
Celia
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just got to get my husband to let try more of these recipes
Lynne
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A gorgeous book, photos were beautiful. Unfortunately, I wasn’t inspired to make any of the recipes.
Linda
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, cookbook
Although I am not vegetarian, I aspire to eat more vegetarian meals. I only found 2 fritatta recipes in this whole book that I would try. Nothing else appealed to me.

Adrienne
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
As a home cook, it was not for me.
Onceinabluemoon
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Gorgeous photography, at first I wasn't impressed, then the recipes started to grab me, loads of inspiration!
Shelley Quezada
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deborah Madison's glorious new cookbook takes the reader/cook into further explorations of amazing vegetable dishes that she creates in her New Mexico home. As ever, Madison's voice comes through in her descriptions of the changing view on vegetable cookery. Once cast in the role of "sides" vegetables have now taken their place at the very center of plate and the foundation for ever more important meals. More importantly, her book encourages the reader to also become "the gardener" and to try hi ...more
YC
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great resource for vegetarians looking up to spice up their repertoire or vegetarians who just simply want to incorporate more vegetarians into their meals. Informative and detailed recipes, simple to follow. The author also includes anecdotes for the recipes, explaining the background story, which was a pleasure to read. Lots of inspiration that can also be made in my novice kitchen.
Nymeria
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The words that come to mind about this book are Fresh, Colorful and Straightforward.

Beautiful photos illustrate mouth-watering dishes made with the freshest ingredients. Each recipe has just the right touch of seasoning to round up the dish and it really shows that the author knows what she's doing.

I really like the fact that the author included solid basics such as caramelized onions, romesco sauce or vegetable stock. Those kinds of tried and true recipes are kitchen heroes that will stand you
Critterbee❇
Nov 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbook, netgalley, f
As the blurb explains, this book is "From the country's foremost authority on vegetarian cooking and one of the most trusted voices in home cooking..."

"Vegetarian" is defined by the Vegetarian Society as

"Someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with, or without, the use of dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish* or by-products of slaughter."

That being said, I was very disappointed to see so many recip
Leyla Johnson
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Wow and double wow!! This is an absolutely fabulous book, with recipes that really fit into my lifestyle - they are fresh and simple, look great and using everyday ingredients yet look and taste fantastic. This is a must for every kitchen. The photos are glorious, written in a easy style and beautifully presented. A must have book. There is not a recipe in this book that I wouldn’t make
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Ms. Madison did it again. The best part of this beautiful cookbook is the intimate tone-- several times I felt as if I was reading an email from a friend. The recipes are simple but elegant, the type of food I could serve to a friend one week, make for Tuesday dinner the next. There are a few stews on my immediate to-make list, and a few other dishes bookmarked to try when certain vegetables come back into season.

I received a preview copy of this cookbook from Net Galley. All opinions are my own
Anneke
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Deborah Madison has long been a favorite chef and cookbook author of mine. Once again, she's presented fresh vegetarian recipes and inspiration. For vegetarian cooks, this new book is a must-have for your culinary cookbook shelf. Highly recommended.
Deborah
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is by far Deborah Madison's most user friendly cookbook. It's a toss-up whether the flavors or the photography are more irresistible. Unlike some of her earlier books, you don't need to live in California to be able to take advantage of these new recipes. A beautiful book for anyone who wants to add more vegetables to their daily menus.
GONZA
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Upperclass vegetarian recipes where both the name and the pictures seems more a poem than something to eat. I would really love to be married to somebody that cooks that way for me, as far as I'm concerned I' far too lazy.

Ricette vegetariane degne dei gran gourmet, dove sia il nome del piatto che le foto sembrano piú tratte da un catalogo d'arte che da un libro di cucina. Mi piacerebbe tanto essere sposata a qualcuno che cucina cosí per me, perché per quanto mi riguarda sono proprio troppo pigra
Helen
  • Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
  • Naturally Nourished
  • Vegan Vegetarian Omnivore: Dinner for Everyone at the Table
  • Modern Sauces: Sauce-Making for Everyone
  • Food52 A New Way to Dinner: A Playbook of Recipes and Strategies for the Week Ahead
  • Betty Crocker's Cooking Basics: Learning to Cook with Confidence
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • Vibrant India: Fresh Vegetarian Recipes from Bangalore to Brooklyn
  • Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables
  • This Cheese Is Nuts!: Delicious Vegan Cheese at Home
  • The French Slow Cooker
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • Vegetarian India: A Journey Through the Best of Indian Home Cooking
  • Bitter: A Taste of the World's Most Dangerous Flavor, with Recipes
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.