Start by marking “Life on the Ground Floor: Letters from the Edge of Emergency Medicine” as Want to Read:
Life on the Ground Floor: Letters from the Edge of Emergency Medicine

Life on the Ground Floor: Letters from the Edge of Emergency Medicine

A celebrated humanitarian doctor's unique perspective on sickness, health and what it is to be alive. In this deeply personal book, humanitarian doctor and activist James Maskalyk, author of the highly acclaimed Six Months in Sudan, draws upon his experience treating patients in the world's emergency rooms. From Toronto to Addis Ababa, Cambodia to Bolivia, he discovers tha ...more
Published April 11th 2017 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Life on the Ground Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life on the Ground Floor

Start your review of Life on the Ground Floor: Letters from the Edge of Emergency Medicine
Kathleen

"Masterfully written and artfully structured, Life on the Ground Floor is more than just an emergency doctors memoir – it's a meditation on health and sickness, on when to hang on tight, and when to let go."

LIFE ON THE GROUND FLOOR: LETTERS FROM THE EDGE OF EMERGENCY MEDICINE by James Maskalyk is very interesting and well written.
This memoir reads like a narrative telling about the author's extensive experience in emergency medicine at St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto and Black Lion Hospital, A
Krista
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, can-con, nonfiction
I sit behind the nursing station, stomach rumbling, humbled, watching white coats flash behind curtains. It's tough to say I'm proud of these people, as I have had nothing to do with making them. Still, daily, I feel something akin to that when I watch these doctors navigate a floor full of sick and worried people. Maybe it's awe. Maybe that's what pride was supposed to be in the first place: the awe one feels at participating in something beautiful.

Like author James Maskalyk does currently,
Maryan
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I knew I had to read this book when I heard Dr Maskalyk interviewed on CBC about this memoir. His passion balanced with skill and commitment came through then and throughout the book. The fact that he practices emergency medicine at St Michaels Hospital for part of his life drew me as well because I am a long ago graduate of that hospital's School of Nursing. The values I was trained in are evident in his medical practice whether in Toronto or Ethiopia or when he is assisting his aging and belov ...more
Jaclyn
Nov 11, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Fascinating glimpses into the world of emergency medicine and some heartwarming moments with his grandfather, but the writing style just gets really confusing. I guess it makes sense given the frenetic pace and all the activity in his work, but he jumps from one topic to another and then another so quickly it feels like a flurry of glimpses of all the various pieces in his life (Toronto ER work, Addis Abba hospital and time with grandfather).

Possibly my brain is just tired or it's not quite the
Hailey Van Dyk
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an ER nurse who has worked in the busiest ER in western Canada... I appreciated this book so much. To read things that I have thought, to take in another perspective of emergency medicine in another country... anyone who plans to seek out care in the ER should read this book. It’s well worth it.
Fishgirl
Feb 23, 2019 added it
Shelves: abandoned
No thanks.
Jo-anne
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is difficult to label...it's an autobiography, an exploration of emergency medicine, a look at the issues surrounding foreign aid...but most of all it's an eloquent journey through the alphabet.
Absolutely recommend it to anyone interested in medicine today, philosophy, and the meaning of death in all our lives.
Joanne
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canada
This is a really inspiring book. The author describes life in the ER in two hugely disparate cities: Toronto and Addis Ababa. The miracles the medical teams perform in Addis are stunning, but he pulls no punches: the work is hugely impeded by the lack of even the most basic resources. At the same time, even with all the wonders of western medicine at hand, sometimes the miracles are elusive in Toronto as well.
My favourite chapters, however, are the ones with his beloved grandfather at his wilde
Mateo Farfan
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellently written memoir of a physician who toes the line between caretaker, educator, and a struggling being. Maskalyk's sharp, and subtle, yet direct prose has a way illuminating some of the bleakest moments anyone in the care professions can experience. Whether your work takes you through the work of a frantic, urban ER, or some other locale, the author's candor and humility, are sure to illuminate and shed light on the reader's own experiences.
Diana
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what it seems. Not only is it stories from the ER at St. Mike's in TO but it is also stories from ER in Ethiopia and a very poignant telling of his time with his ailing grandfather. For a physician Jim Maskalyk is a very good writer, heck not even for a physician. His writing, at time, almost reads like poetry. Thoroughly enjoyable reading. Hopefully this is a trend for 2018.
Sam Newhook
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, heartwarming.

I devoured this book in a single sitting and am excited to recommend it to everyone I know. Having worked at St Michael's hospital I have seen and met many people like the author and it is always inspiring to learn their stories. The book is fast paced, funny, heart wrenching and all together a worthwhile read.
Pankaj
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pankaj by: Matt Galloway on CBC
Wow! James has eloquently captured the frenetic activity that could result in life-death decisions, the frustration at not having resources at hand to save lives and the drive to push ahead and not allow anything adverse to impair a doctor's judgment. Brilliantly written.
Stacey
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. The contrast between Canada and Africa, the fast pace in the ER and the slow pace with his grandfather, is beautiful. The almost poetic style - love it.
Adrian Sergiusz
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very humane, full of life and compassion. A well written first hand account of being a physician in the extremes, whether it is in Ethiopia or in a hospital in Toronto. Both worlds are continuously compared and contrasted through first person interactions, showing how the life of being a good doctor living on the extreme can be both immensely rewarding but taxing through all the different types of relationships formed. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of what's happening, the author does jump f ...more
✿✿✿May
This book drifted between the author spending time with his grandfather, with his deteriorating health, his work life at the ER in St. Mike's hospital and Ethiopia training doctors, with limited resources. It must be hard to see so much suffering with his job that it must be even harder to see his own grandfather's failing health.
I quite enjoyed it, as I like medical shows on TV, and St. Mike must see a lot of action with its location in Toronto.
Leah
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Had so much potential, and I was super excited for it. The content was disorganized, and the writing fell flat. Disappointed with this one.
Jan Angus
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engrossing examination of the life of ER professionals by a physician who practices both in Toronto and Ethiopia. Extraordinarily candid and beautifully written, the book is arranged in alphabetical chapters (A is for airway, B is for breathing, C is for circulation . . . Z is for ze end). Maskalyk shifts back and forth between his experiences in a downtown Toronto ER department, his work in Ethiopia, and his visits to his ageing grandfather's remote home in rural Alberta. He manages to convey t ...more
Nancy Croth
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
In his latest book, James Maskalyk has provided a fascinating and discouraging account of life in emergency rooms in Toronto and Ethiopia. Mingled throughout are peeks at his relationship with his hunter/trapper grandfather who is in deteriorating health himself since the death of James's Grandmother.
He begins with the basics... the ABC's of medicine and moves throughout the alphabet of ER necessities. A for Airway, B for Breathing, C for Circulation.... if can't get those back in working order,
JennieWithTheBooks☮️(◕‿◕✿)
Powerfully written. Enjoyed the a-z chapter organization. Made me reflect on our world and what it means to give, to be mindful. A lot of people talk about being mindful but this author does it every day!

Realistic in the way that it was a true account of what the emergency room doctors and nurses deal with every day. It should be read by all the general public before they complain about the care they receive.

I found the author's relationship with his grandfather endearing and would've preferre
Robert LeBlanc
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has heavily influenced the way I look at life and suffering
Abi
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly amazing book by Dr. Maskalyk - moving and humbling and shocking and important.
Amanda Munday
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
A- A fascinating read about hospital life in Toronto
B - Breathtaking details about crisis management and especially trauma.
C - Could have used a bit more information about birthing. Aren't labour and delivery some of the most common reasons to be in hospital? Did this doctor never experience birthing emergencies (they all went up to the 15th floor?)
D - Direct experience with this hospital kept me reading through the night.
E - emergency medicine is its own field and I can't believe this author f
Ben Truong
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ben by: RBC Taylor Prize
Before reading one word, I was pleasantly surprised by this medical memoir. At first I thought this memoir would be told in letters written – like an epistolary novel, but not a novel, because it's using real letters. I thought it would be a travelogue of sorts. However, I was quite surprised when I looked at the Table of Contents to see each chapter using a letter in the alphabet for the title. It was then I realized how cheeky Dr James Maskalyk might be.

Maskalyk who practices at St. Michael's
Rick
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Life on the Ground Floor, a fast-paced non-fiction account of life in Hospital Emergency Rooms in Toronto and Ethiopia, follows an ER doctor through his daily routines in two very different hospitals. This book is a natural fit for Dr. Maskalyk, an emergency-room physician, who has written another critically acclaim non-fiction book, Six Months In Sudan.

The book begins with James Masalyk receiving a call from his director in Toronto. James has just returned from a successfully trip to Sudan and
Sepehr
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Life On The Ground Floor
By James Maskalyk, MD.

Dr. Maskalyk structured his book, Life On The Ground Floor, very very well. He told many stories, chapter by chapter, about his life as an emergency room physician all throughout the world. The chapters have the same text but a different subject, for example there was "A is for airway, B is for Breathing, C is for Circulation, etc..." From what you saw it looked like I actually put those chapters in the alphabetical order but I actually didn't. What
Olivia Slykhuis
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, medical
I liked this book, but I feel like it didn't quite come together as seamlessly as it could have. The three intertwining narratives were easy enough to follow, but sometimes seemed to make jarring jumps between them. I get that this partly mimics his life - jumping from one context to another - but it just didn't quite work for me. I don't know. It wasn't a significant problem. Every once in awhile there was a sentence that I literally couldn't make sense of, so I feel like a better editor could ...more
Pat Mills
Jessica
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Tom Oman
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting and unconventional book. The structure of having each chapter start with a letter in the alphabet (C is for Circulation... F is for Flow...) ends up being basically an arbitrary way for the author to write an essentially stream of consciousness memoir.

There’s no particular order to things and he bounces around from his personal life, to experience working in Ethiopia and Sudan, as well as what it’s like doing overnight shifts at the busiest ER in Toronto. It held my inter
Lois Ann
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Several years ago I read Maskalyk' s book on Sudan as it was a country I have always been fascinated by and I found his treatment of that subject riveting.

This book, while interesting, was less so than the first. Perhaps because I was expecting more about life in Addis-- more stories about front line medicine in a developing country.

This book felt like reading a script for ER, House or Grey's; particularly the portions in Toronto.

I wasn't looking for a memoir so much as an introduction to a n
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Woo-Woo: How I Survived Ice Hockey, Drug Raids, Demons, and My Crazy Chinese Family
  • The Crazy Game
  • The Innocents
  • A Good Wife: Escaping the Life I Never Chose
  • All Things Consoled: A Daughter's Memoir
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
James is a physician and author, both of the international bestseller “Six Months in Sudan” and more recently, “Life on the Ground Floor“. He practices emergency medicine and trauma at St. Michael’s, Toronto’s inner-city hospital and is an award winning teacher at the University of Toronto.

He directs a program that works with Ethiopian partners at Addis Ababa University to train East Africa’s firs