Start by marking “A Darkness Absolute (Casey Duncan #2)” as Want to Read:
A Darkness Absolute (Casey Duncan #2)

A Darkness Absolute

(Rockton #2)

The follow-up to #1 NYT bestseller Kelley Armstrong’s acclaimed City of the Lost, Rockton town detective Casey Duncan makes a terrible—and dangerous—discovery in the woods outside of town.

When experienced homicide detective Casey Duncan first moved to the secret town of Rockton, she expected a safe haven for people like her, people running from their past misdeeds and past
Published February 7th 2017 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about A Darkness Absolute, please sign up.
Stephanie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Last year I read CITY OF THE LOST more out of duty than expectation of loving it. Armstrong writes several of my favorite urban fantasy series and has been an auto-buy author for over a decade, but I had limited success with her last mystery series (NADIA STAFFORD), so I was prepared to feel pretty MEH about it . . .

description

In CITY OF THE LOST, we learned about Casey's inner darkness. In A DARKNESS ABSOLUTE, we watch as she begins to come to terms with it. Once again, s
Diane S ☔
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lor
Yukon territory, a vast frontier, the perfect place to hide a village, a place where people who are in danger in the outside world can escape. This is where Casey and her friend Diana, an abused wife, were allowed to come, their lives in danger, a place where they could be safe. But is anyplace absolutely safe? Run by a committee on the outside, a committee that is supposed to weed out those who are violent or a threat, but do they?

Second in this intriguing series, a place out of time, no cell p
Berit☀️✨
4.25 chilly stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.25

Another book and this series filled with chills and thrills!
This book was filled with chills and thrills, however there might‘Ve been more chill than thrill.... something about the isolation, the vastness, and the cold of the story really drew me in..... however, this was a Traveling Sister read and I was definitely in the minority... this time it was not the eye rolling romance that turned off the sisters, but the book did not draw them in, they were not connected wit
Julie
A Darkness Absolute by Kelley Armstrong is a 2017 Minotaur publication.

Another strong installment in the Rockton series!

I fell in love with the first book in this series right from the start. I discovered it amid the fever pitch peak of psychological thrillers, at just the point where I had had enough and needed something different- and this one certainly is different- in a good way!

So, I’ve been desperately trying to find the time to read the second book in the series. Often times, the sopho
Susanne  Strong
2 Stars

Casey Duncan is a Detective in Rockton’s Police Department. Rockton is that secret town that is off the map. That town in the Canadian Mountains that no one would ever be able to find or that anyone knows about unless invited to. No cell service and no internet. 200 people. Nice and quiet. You would think it would be a low crime area but you’d be wrong about that. Since her arrival four months ago, Casey has helped her boyfriend, Sheriff Eric Dalton, solve a crime or two.

Now Casey and Wi
♥Rachel♥
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

I love the setting and premise of this series! If you’re a fan of a well-plotted mystery with plenty of suspense, twists and turns, and multi-dimensional characters, (a detective without a self-destructive streak, thankfully!) the Casey Duncan series is for you.

Rockton is a refuge city for those on the run. A city off the grid and under the radar, perfect for any trying to escape a whole range of situations: a stalker, abusive partner, or punishment from a crime. Applicants are vetted
Jilly
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome fun! If you liked the first one, you will love this. If you haven't read the first one, you really should.

Nikki
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars **rounded up** (3.75)

A Darkness Absolute is the second book in Kelley Armstrong’s Rockton series. Once again, we are back to the tiny, off-the-grid town of Rockton, following detective Casey Duncan/Butler and sheriff Eric Dalton through another murderous adventure in the foreboding forest that surrounds the mysterious town.

What’s important to note: This is a series that needs to be read in order. As discussed with a couple of Traveling Sisters, it would be difficult to read this as a sta
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I was hooked on this series after reading the first book and was so eager to get my hands on this and start it right away. By the time I had finished the last page, I knew that I had come across a series that was every bit as unique and original and well written as they get.

Once again Armstrong has managed to write something that stands out and demands to be taken notice of. With characters that are every bit as dangerous and disarming and they are charming and endearing.

There is something so b
Mackey
A Darkness Absolute is the follow up thriller to City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong. Both books are set in the fictional, off the grid village of Rockton in the middle of the Yukon, Canada. It's a refuge, a secret place for those people who desperately need a place to hide, a place of protection or for those who can buy their way in and avoid prosecution from the law. It's an interesting group of characters in this town. And it's an interesting group of three law enforcement officers, includin ...more
Marialyce
3.75 still chilling stars

Life is complicated so what better way to uncomplicate it then to move to an off the grid settlement in the Yukon? With the right amount of money and a sufficient reason, you too, could become a resident. Off the grid, off the map, and your sins could be forgotten. Trouble is the people who move there have lots of secrets and lots of reasons to commit crimes to cover up those sins.

In this installment of the Casey Duncan series, Casey and Will, the deputy make an attempt
Maureen Carden
Rockton is a rumor. A maybe place if you are in trouble. If you are in deep trouble but lucky, you find it is more than a rumor, that it is a small town totally off the grid in the harsh environs of the Yukon. A town originally meant for someone fleeing an abusive spouse, a stalker, someone wrongly accused or convicted of a non-violent crime. Later Rockton changes, with maybe a hit man, murderer, or a sex offender; but always someone who pays very well inserted into town and past Sheriff Eric Da ...more
Veronica
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a satisfying follow up to last year's City of the Lost, which I reviewed here. It picks up four months after the events in the first book with Rockton Detective Casey Butler and Deputy Will Anders heading out into the Yukon wilderness to track down and bring back one of the town's AWOL citizens. What they end up finding is more than they bargained for.

I enjoyed getting back to Rockton and seeing how Casey is settling into her new life there as well as seeing how she's handling her new
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/02/05/...

Well, I still enjoyed this one, but it was nowhere near as good as the first book.

A Darkness Absolute is the follow-up to the brilliant City of the Lost, continuing Kelley Armstrong’s new mystery suspense series starring an ex-homicide detective named Casey Duncan. Months have passed since Casey first came to Rockton, a secret community nestled in the remote wilds of the Yukon. People come to this town to escape their pa
Brenda
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two books in, and I am really, really enjoying this series!

The strength of these books is the characters. Sheriff Eric Dalton, Detective Casey Butler, and Deputy Will Anders carry the bulk of the plot and I’m getting to know them very well. There are secondary characters who have been in both books so far and whose histories are known to some degree, and other characters (strangers, really) who are known by first name only.

The romantic relationship between Eric and Casey is exceptionally well wr
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I enjoyed this one a lot. It started with a bang and maintained a high level of excitement throughout the story. This is the second book in the Casey Duncan series and I do recommend reading them in order since the events of the first book do play a role in this installment. This book really kept me guessing right up until the very end. I had a lot of fun reading this story and found that I never wanted to put it down.

I love the setting of th
Yodamom
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, mystery

The narration was off for me on this one. I had a problem with the immature quality of some of the voices of the characters. I wish I would have read it instead. It was an interesting story with some very off beat entertaining moments but the reading didn't work this time
K.
I liked this better than the first book in the series, and I suspect it's because all of that initial set up stuff was already done, and instead the book jumped straight into the action.

WHAT I LIKED:
- The relationship between Casey and Eric. They've moved past the initial bang-all-the-time stage and into the sooooooo-let's-talk-about-the-future-of-our-relationship stage, and I loved it.
- PUPPY!!! There is a puppy. An adorable puppy that I wanted to squish constantly.
- There's less Diana in the
Maureen Carden
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
This author proves again why she's one of my one-clickers. I love the world created in this series. The setting reminds me somewhat of her Darkness Rising series, but also it's very much its own.

I love that there is so much mystery, it keeps things interesting. I love Eric. Although I must admit, a year and many, many books in between, I'd forgotten who Casey's love interest was. So when Will showed up in the first scenes, I groaned thinking that we were going to start from zero again with the r
Jaya
Fantastically creepy!
The climax was a bit of an overkill though...
Juli
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Darkness Absolute is the second book in the Rockton series. I first came across this series when I requested a review copy of the 4th book, not realizing I was jumping in mid-stream. The premise of a hidden town where people could go to disappear and lay low for awhile was intriguing, so I immediately grabbed book 1 at my local library and started reading. Rockton is a dangerous place. Most residents are just on the run -- abused women, those who crossed dangerous people, white collar criminal ...more
Alissa Haley
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a digital ARC of this book! Review is now up on Diva Reads!
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Shelves: audio_books
Another 4 Star Rockton Read!

This is the second book in the Rockton Series and picks up shortly after the first book ends....more mystery and suspense is centered around the secret town of Rockton. A place where people go to hide.

photo 84537CD7-D234-404B-8C3D-A7078638AF85_zpsnbixivez.jpeg

Casey is still working as the resident Homicide Detective alongside her boyfriend Sheriff Eric Dalton. When Casey stumbles upon Heather, a missing Rockton woman who was being held captive Casey brings her back to Rockton. While investigating the kidnapping it becomes
Fables&Wren
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
WrensReads Review:

RELEASE DATE: February 07, 2017

THIS BOOK WAS SO INCREDIBLE!

Casey is comfortable. She has her sheriff-boyfriend Eric, her deputy-friend Andres, Isabel and other people that make her feel at home in the secret-settlement of Rockton.

Diana is still apart of the town, but they are cordial enough to each other that things aren't too awkward.

It's the middle of winter, and Casey and Andres have to track out into a snow storm to find a run away named Shawn Sutherland. It's the second ti
Maureen
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I loved this book. It's the first I've read by this author, and I'm definitely going to read the first book in this series.
A Darkness Absolute is the 2nd book in the Casey Duncan/Rockton mystery/thriller series. City of The Lost is the first book.

Kelley Armstrong is one of my top favorite authors. I loved City of the Lost, so A Darkness Absolute was one of my most anticipated reads of 2017. And I was not disappointed.

I would definitely recommend that you read City of The Lost first. Yes this book could technically be read as a standalone. There is a self-contained mystery. However, book one was the set-up for this
Fiona
A Darkness Absolute continues the story begun in City of the Lost, and somehow manages to just surpass the first. To be fair, the first was initially published online, as a serial, and had a tendency to end its sections with a semi-cliffhanger to keep the readers coming back. Not having that in this book was an improvement on what was already an excellent series, so it won't be a surprise that I absolutely loved this.

Just a couple of months after the events that followed her move to Rockton, Cas
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Kelley Armstrong's CITY OF THE LOST was a book did not really live up to my expectations. I hoped for a more thrilling story. However, that didn't mean that I didn't like the book, but after waiting a year to read it and really looking forward to it, the book was a bit of a letdown. A decent thriller, just not so engrossing as I had expected it to be. Still, I wanted to read the follow-up, A DARKNESS ABSOLUTE since the idea of the book, of a town where you can hide away from your past, is such a ...more
Lauren
A Darkness Absolute
4 Stars

When Casey Duncan stumbles across a young woman imprisoned in a cave, she more fully comprehends that the seemingly quiet and tranquil settlement of Rockton conceals a darker and more sinister side of human nature.

Unlike the first installment in the series, which was slow to start, the action in A Darkness Absolute begins immediately and the story progresses and a rapid and gripping pace.

Casey is a more appealing heroine now that she has settled in in Rockton and her
  • Don't Talk to Strangers (Keye Street, #3)
  • The Devil's Colony
  • Undone
  • Under Cold Stone (Constable Molly Smith #7)
  • Spitfire (Puffin Cove, #1)
  • The Demon Prince (Ars Numina, #2)
  • Hang Fire
  • The Kill (Maeve Kerrigan, #5)
  • Winter at the Door (Lizzie Snow, #1)
  • Jinn and Juice (The Jinni, #1)
  • A Grave Calling (Bodies of Evidence, #1)
  • Deadly Spells (Prospero's War, #3)
  • The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9)
  • All the Things We Leave Behind
  • Whispers of the Dead (Special Tracking Unit #2)
  • The Operator (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #2)
  • Circle Of Shadows (Crowther and Westerman, #4)
  • Vanishing Games (Jack White, #2)

Rockton (5 books)
  • City of the Lost (Rockton, #1)
  • This Fallen Prey (Rockton, #3)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)
  • Untitled (Rockton, #5)
“Something up, and it has nothing to do with why you're bringing gifts. You just do that because you're awesome."
"Can I get that in writing?"
"Casey's right," Dalton says. "Not about the awesome part. That depends on what condition my town's in. Something's up, and it's making me think I might not be awarding you that awesome certificate anytime soon."
"There's a certificate?"
"I have a stack of them." I say.”
2 likes
“Sometimes, wanting to impress is what keeps us moving when all we really want to do is curl up in a fetal position and whimper.” 1 likes