Start by marking “Sali de Paseo (I Went Walking) with CD” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sali de Paseo (I Went ...

Sue Williams

Sali de Paseo (I Went Walking) with CD

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  6,170 ratings  ·  234 reviews
A young child goes for a walk and discovers a colorful parade of animals along the way. “What a charmer. . . . An excellent story hour choice.”--Booklist
Paperback
Published April 1st 1996 by Live Oak Media (NY) (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sali de Paseo (I Went Walking) with CD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sali de Paseo (I Went Walking) with CD

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Sali de Paseo (I Went Walking) with CD
Suzanne
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great kids book! Rhyming simple sentences, and great humorous illustrations from Julie Vivas that are instantly recognisable. Read it to my 20 month old, but possibly a little young, he was too interested in reaching for the iPhone that is always around (grrrr!). I recommend this book to everyone!

Update: This is a by heart book, for TAFE I made a felt board book out of the story and sing it to the tune of 'Frere Jaques'. It works well. Indy (4 now) loves it and he enjoys 'silly ones' l
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This is an Australian classic. Julie Vivas (of Possum Magic fame) has again created fantastic illustrations, in her typical style.

This book is similar in style to Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?. As such it is perfect for storytimes with lots of kids, all chanting along - and trying to guess the next animal. What I like about this book (which doesn't exist in Brown Bear) is that clues are given as to what the next animal is.
Christine Meunier
A delightful simple tale with lovely illustrations. A great way to introduce young readers to colours and various animals.
Rebecca Alvarez
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Went Walking follows the path of a young go who is going for a stroll. Along the why he sees different animals. The book features great illustrations that will help in decoding the words along with grabbing the readers attention.

If I was teaching a lower elementary grade level, I would use this book to help foster the love for reading. The book contains repetitive words and can easily be decoded using the pictures. One of the most exciting thing for young children is the thought of reading a b
Kerry
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We enjoyed the beautiful illustrations of farm animals.
Zoe's Human
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt
This simple rhyming story of a child taking a walk focuses on repetition and prediction. It's a fun read-aloud if you like making animal noises (or encouraging a room full of kids to do so).

Suitable for ages 2 to 5.
Becky Sparkes
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book to read with EYFS or KS1 as there is lots of repetition so it can help them build up their word repetition. After reading this book the children could go on their own walks and write about everything they see on their walks. They could then create their own mini books and illustrate it.
Christian Houseworth
I love this book. This book somewhat reminds me of another version of Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See by Bill Martin and Eric Carle. The book has repetitive lines for example, " I went walking. What did I see? I saw a black cat looking at me." I think that this is a great book for lower elementary grades. This book would be great for teaching repetition and rhyme. This would be a great book to use for a mini-lesson on repetition. Also, this book would be great for teaching sequencing and o ...more
Krista
This is a wonderful, predictable picture book children can easily read after they have had it read to them. I've read this to Kindergartners in a big book format and they took over the book and started reading it to me! I loved the energy it builds in a group read. So many of the easy first books are not entertaining, but this is a cute story with simple but great art. The little boy in the story is going on a walk and sees many different animals of many different colors.

I see this adaptable to
Asho
This is a great book for young children. It's very similar in style to "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" In fact, the refrain is, "I went walking. What did you see? I saw a [animal] looking at me." So, if you've read Eric Carle's book, you've pretty much read Williams' book. This is basically the Australian version of "Brown Bear, Brown Bear". My baby really likes the repetition and sing-songiness of it, though. The little boy in the illustrations has really bizarre hair (not at all imp ...more
Lucy
Babies, toddlers, vocabulary, repetition, phonological awareness, animals.
Amy Layton
This book is written in a fun, rhyming stanza sort of way that makes it a pleasure to read.  It's interesting, perfect for children, and the illustrations...well, it took me a while to warm up to the illustrations, if I'm being honest.  I think the technique is great, and they definitely add something to the book (the animals aren't shown in totality at first--leaving the child to guess which animal might come next), but they were kinda off-putting to me.  I don't think as a child they would hav ...more
Sara
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I Went Walking by Sue Williams is wonderful way to engage students in choral reading activities. The repetition of key phrases helps students to build reading fluency and practice with sight words. The beautiful water-color illustrations of animals helps to encourage predictions by wondering what animals the little boy will see next! I used this book to teach my kindergarten class how to identify sight words by using formula fiction. During the next reading, we became the walkers in our communit ...more
Jackie Sisley
I Went Walking is about a young boy who goes for a walk and sees many different animals. This book has a simple, but unique art style that is fascinating to look at. Children are engaged throughout the book as they get to guess what animal the boy will see next based on the part of the animal shown in the picture. This book could be tied to learning about habitats as all of the animals are animals one would expect to see in a barnyard. The rhyme and repetition throughout the text make it easy fo ...more
Margaret Hallock
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Picture Book- Baby/Board Book
Awards: N/A
Audience: 0-2 years old
A. This is a baby/board book because it is printed on sturdy and durable materials so that a baby can play with it without breaking it. It also uses simple language and relates to the everyday life of a baby.
B. The watercolor illustrations in this book give it a whimsical feel and make it appear soft and inviting. The plain white background helps the babies to focus only on the main images in front of them.
C. I would use this
Chelsea
*Write review

Read during school visit (25R) on Thursday, April 4th, 2019.
Read during school visit (56A) on Friday, April 12th, 2019.
Read during school visit (56B) on Friday, April 12th, 2019.
Read during school visit (4A) on Thursday, April 18th, 2019.
Read during school visit (4B) on Thursday, April 18th, 2019.
Read during school visit (4A) on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019.
Read during school visit (4B) on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019.
Read during school visit (56A) on Friday, May 3rd, 2019.
Read duri
Laurie Clary
This book is a delight to read and children are intrigued with the way each animal is only partially introduced at first. A little boy is walking in the countryside and he has lots of company along the way, it turns into quite a parade of animals. This book is a good one to teach inferences and predictions and has repetition which is lots of fun to read. It reminds me a bit of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
John
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: addyvi
I like this book because he wanders and finds animals on the way, just like Dorothy, who finds a lion and a scarecrow and a tin woodman.
This is sort of like the elephant book, where the mouse asks "Are you my friend?" [Eric Carle's Will You Be My Friend?] Because it's just tails of the animals and feathers of the animals, and you need to guess before flip.
Sara
This book definitely reminded me of "brown bear, brown bear" by Eric Carle. It has the same concept and idea. I like that the words are written in a large font, making it easy for early readers to read. The illustrations are beautiful and big and always cover both pages. This book is perfect to introduce farm animals to young children. I think toddlers would really enjoy listening to this book.
Claire Holloway
This book has lots of repetition - it is a good book to use in Foundation to encourage children to join in with the reading whilst the teacher is reading. However, this book did not have much of a plot and I found it a little boring. Although, this book has good illustrations.
Emily Carlyn
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
I LOVE this book. I used it with 1-2s and its perfect for them. Minimal illustrations minus the child and the various animals, so it doesn't distract from the story. Plus, its a great recognition opportunity with all of the animals and the noises they make.
Amy
Sweet curious little girl, nice illustrations, who ends up having a whole barn yard following her. Simple words that explore animals and color at the same time and still has natural colors on the animals.
Haylieboyer
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, nature
I went walking is such a great story for introducing ne animals to younger children. if you have props or did I puppet show with this story it would flow so nicely and keep the children interested and engaged.
J
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The black cat is so cute. I love depictions of cats that aren't showing them being snooty, anti-social jerks. Bonus that the cat is black. This is a simple book with no intrusive backgrounds in the illustrations. Kiddos can focus on each animal as it arrives. Great for toddlers.
Maria Salgado
This book reminded me of "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" which is a very popular book with children. This book keeps it more related to the child because it uses "I." The repetition is helpful and the illustrations simple. The book can be used to talk about different animals we can see.
Valerie
While this book uses repetition and using high frequency words well, it's boring! I don't believe this will help grow a love of reading in young readers. However, it can be an effective teaching tool.
Courtney
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
My children absolutely adore this book. Reading literature is so important to the development of a child's mind, and I cannot think of thing I would rather do then sit down to read to them in the evenings. Imagination and growth are so vital in those so young.
Sabrina
I went walking by Sue Machin and Julie Vivas is a story of a child who goes walking and sees a range of farm animals. The child sees a black cat, a brown horse, a red cow, a green duck, a pink pig, and a yellow dog.
Lara Bate
Ashley Zuniga
The book is short enough for the kids to stay entertained by it. The book also uses the same phrase over and over again so children will catch up to it. The book gives children a sense of different colors there are. Also, exposes children to different animals.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Who Sank the Boat?
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Rosie's Walk
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Where Is the Green Sheep?
  • In the Night Kitchen
  • Whoever You Are
  • The Magic Hat
  • The Napping House
  • The Three Little Pigs
There is more than one author with this name

Sue Williams is an award-winning journalist and columnist who’s written for all of Australia’s leading newspapers and magazines. She also appears regularly on TV and on radio, and has had her own TV segment on SBS TV’s popular Hotline program. Born in England, she has worked in print and TV in the UK and New Zealand, too.