Start by marking “Halloween Good Night” as Want to Read:
Halloween Good Night

Halloween Good Night

Count up to ten and back again with this sweet and clever Halloween bedtime story starring your favorite monsters!

Gliding through the moonlight
come the monsters big and small,
sliding up your stairway
and oozing down your hall.
They aren’t very scary,
in fact they’re rather sweet.
So snuggle into bed and let them whisper,
“Trick or treat!”

Publisher's Weekly Starred Review
Published July 25th 2017 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Good Night

Heidi
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This revised version of a well-known rhyme gathers together various monsters (werewolves, globsters, imps, vampires, and more for a bedtime party. But the girl knows what's up and takes care of things before they get out of hand. While the rhymes could be scary, the illustrations favor cuteness softening any rough edges. Lots of fun words are mixed in making for a fun read aloud and counting story.
Jillian
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, it just didn't make sense to me. I liked the counting idea, and the variety of beasties and critters, and the illustrations. Alas, a lot of the text just seemed random, and some of the pages sacrificed meaning for rhyme.

"Dive," hollers Granddad.
"Bacon!" yell the seven.

...Huh?

And then even the ending... they were all going to a party, but now the little girl...is a mommy? I just didn't get it, and I feel bad.
Manda
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grabill takes a familiar form and masterfully infuses it with the unexpected. This is a perfect read-aloud with words like "slooze, squish and slosh." The rhymes flow with ease and keep readers guessing what will come next! Even more enjoyable is the monster children repeating their parent's directives with a different verb which is creative and less repetitive to read. ("'Race,' howls the mother. "We'll chase!' yowl the three.") There are some traditional Halloween characters like warty witches ...more
Amy
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s time for everyone to say goodnight. Mama werewolf sends her cubs running through the moonlight, while granny’s zomblings waltz through the bone yard, and witches soar on their broomsticks, all headed towards the fun. A Halloween counting adventure starting with one oozey globster, to ten beastly boggies, everyone is ready for bedtime fun.

Little ones will love this rhyming tale, as all of Halloween’s monsters find their way to say trick or treat. Halloween Goodnight will keep little ones gu
Crystal
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My son really enjoyed it! I liked all the new, interesting words and he liked when the creatures were dumpster-diving for bacon, lol. Go figure.
Ann
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a treat!
Pam
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This counting book seems a bit old for the younger set who needs counting help. That said the illustrations are great fun and I loved the wide array of Halloween creatures, but the story line just didn't come together. The rhyming text at times doesn't make sense and words seem only to be inserted because they rhyme or the author couldn't think of anything better for the creatures to say. The creatures are all apparently headed to a party that never materializes... The story just missed the mark ...more
Judy Cummings
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite Halloween picture book. Here is one of my favorite lines: "Deep within the forest, under ferns slick with dew, flits a wee father wood imp with his tiny implings two." Kids will beg for this book to be read to them over and over, and Grabill's lyrical text makes Halloween Good Night a delightful read aloud whether it's the first time or the fifteenth. The twist at the story's end will prevent tiny listeners from getting frightened by all the creepy critters. Plus, Ella Ok ...more
Lynn
Fun illustrations for an "Over in the Meadow" variant (does anyone even know what that is anymore??). The text provides some language builders: wee, lingers, vague, and spooky verbs: wail, murmur, seethes. Illustrations vary from page to page as each set of characters has their own colors and styles of how they are drawn.
Not sure if this would calm youngsters, but not too spooky!
 Mummy Cat Claire
I picked this book out from our local library. My kids are super excited for Halloween this year so we went to find some books about the season.

I found the plot or point of the book hard to find. I read through this book several times but the poem is difficult to understand. I don't think my kids were interested in this book. Probably didn't even get it.

The book counts typical Halloween characters. Such as each page has 8 witches and the next page has 9 somethings. Then it counts down. This is
Amy Oberts
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The rhythmic rhymes of this story could be adapted to facilitate an engaging, interactive reading experience, but due to the occasional clumsy verse, a fair amount of practice will likely be necessary. A variety of Halloween-related characters are featured--some familiar, some new--and the integration of counting up to 10 (and back down) is sure to delight young listeners.
Jj
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cute but hard to follow. Also, I think we could all do with publishers cutting back on the number of children's picture books released each year which are based on "Over In the Meadow". ENOUGH ALREADY.
Vicki
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
This fun book can be easily sung to the tune of Over in the Meadow. I enjoyed all of the creatures such as boggarts and imps - not your typical Halloween creatures, thus I think this book could be be a bit older audience.

I'm not a fan of this type of illustration.
Roben
I liked that you can sing the book - that was fun. And there was a wide variety of spooky characters - even boggarts! But my granddaughter was convinced they were all going to a party. Nope. All in all, a bit confusing for my young readers.
Ashley Adkins
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the art in this book; the use of colors in this book are great. I didn't love the text or the style of writing but it is written well. Also a good counting book for younger children, although I'm not sure younger children will follow the writting style of the book.
Kelly
It had a nice rhyming Halloween themed story, but it was a little long.
Chuck
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun read with the kiddos!
Perfumegirl
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, jjs-shelf
A little too advanced for my grandson...he doesn't like wordy books...will give it a try again in a year or so.
Amy
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A rif on Over in the Meadow
Paige M
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Enjoyable cast of characters. Little too long and difficult and spooky for the intended audience imo.
Nikki
A fun addition to your rhyming/counting collection, this would be a perfect read aloud for October.
Kimberly
Loved it up until the ending, which was sort of confusing and also lost the rhyme scheme a bit for me. Way too long for storytime but it would be fun to read (or sing!) one-on-one with a kiddo.
MaryLibrarianOH
To the tune of "Over in the Meadow".

From advanced reader copy.
D. Field
Oct 03, 2018
Morgan Boyle
Oct 24, 2018
Brian
Nov 16, 2017
Amy Soma
rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2017
Meg
Oct 02, 2017 added it
Cute and simple, nice full pictures but lacks substance
Ashley
Oct 09, 2017
Alicia Dunaway
Nov 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hi! I'm author of the picture books, Halloween Good Night (Atheneum), Violet and the Woof (HarperCollins), and A Year With Mama Earth (Eerdmans Books for Young Readers 2019). I earned an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Hamline University and in my "spare" time (what's that?!?) I photograph for Getty Images.

I live in middle-of-nowhere, Michigan with my husband, six children, and t