Start by marking “Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of Christmas” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of Christmas

Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of Christmas (Doctor Who short stories)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  641 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
A new collection of illustrated Christmas adventures, starring twelve incarnations of the Doctor plus many of his friends and enemies.

Inside this festive book of Doctor Who stories, you'll find timey-wimey mysteries, travels in the TARDIS, monster-chasing excitement and plenty of Christmas magic. Find out what happens when the Third Doctor meets Jackie Tyler, the Seventh D
Published October 6th 2016 by BBC Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Alejandro
The Doctor & Xmas, like Bread & Butter!

The general rating is an average sum result of the individual ratings given for each short story in the anthology.

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS

By Jacqueline Rayner & Nick Harris

Rating: *** ( 3 stars )

The First Doctor, along with Ian Chesterton, Barbara Wright and Vicki Pallister, arrive to England, just in time for Christmas in 1963, however things aren’t like they supposed to be, and for a strange reason, some stuff is just odd.

A COMEDY OF TERR
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)

2016 Book Awards
description
(awarded to Ghost of Christmas Past)
Runner Up: Best Short-Story 2016 (awarded to The Gift)
(more information about these awards on my blog)

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
description
...the Twelve Doctors Christmas stories!

(yeah, that rhyme didn't work, moving on)

This was the best thing ever to listen to while Christmas cleaning an entire house. I loved that there was one story for each Doctor, because I've been missing the old ones.
No, not all of the stories were 5
MTK
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ομολογουμένως, μόνο για φαν του Doctor Who.
Annie
9. The Red Bycycle
Kribu
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*looks at rating*

Yep. Not five stars as in "the best thing in the history of everything, EVER", but undoubtedly the best Doctor Who short story anthology I've read - anyone who has seen me read short stories before probably knows I grumble a lot as it's a format that, more often than not, just plain doesn't seem to work for me when it comes to published tie-in fiction - and .. basically, I can't really find anything to complain about.

I enjoyed each and every story; some probably a bit more than
Jeannette
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Ivy
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m a huge Doctor Who fan plus Christmas is my favorite time of the year (I’m basically Buddy the Elf) so when I found out about this christmassy Doctor Who anthology of course there was no way of not buying it. All of the Doctors are having their own little Christmas adventure, sounds like so much fun, doesn’t it?

I pretty much loved all of the twelve short stories; enjoyed some rather more than others though, only because I only know the new doctors so reading about the old doctors didn’t make
Anka Räubertochter
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, sci-fi
Ich muss zugeben, dass ich nur New Who und den Film mit dem achten Doctor kenne, deshalb waren die Geschichten der vorherigen Doctoren teilweise unverständlich für mich und auch von der Story her nicht so das Wahre, wobei ich trotzdem besonders "All I Want for Christmas", die Geschichte des ersten Doctors, grandios fand.

Alles in allem war es trotzdem eine sehr empfehlenswerte Kurzgeschichtensammlung.
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
So, I needed to switch up genres a little because there are WAY to many schmaltzy Romance Christmas novels…. not like I don’t love a good Romance! But, I’m sure you guys want to hear about something different and I wanted to READ something different!

Well, my geeky little heart could not turn this one down! A compilation of short stories starting with the First Doctor and ending with the Twelfth (duh…) all written by different Authors. I was worried that these stories were just going to be Fan Se
Chrissy
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On average, I’d say this was more like 4.5 stars, but I’m rounding up. I reviewed each individual story in the Traveling the Vortex Goodreads Book Club and once I’m on a regular computer rather than my phone, I’ll copy those reviews here. Suffice it to say that I enjoyed this greatly and I’m glad we read it with the book club this month.

EDIT: Here are my comments from the TtV Book Club about each story individually -

All I Want For Christmas - I loved that this ultimately wasn't some nefarious pl
Phoebe
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A nice collection of Christmas stories with all the incarnations of the Doctor. Some very touching, entertaining, and thrilling stories. A perfect Christmas read! They are easy and quick to read, and enjoyable even if you haven't seen all the Doctors on television yet. A wonderful Christmas read!
(only one tiny point of complaint: An editor should have found it odd - as I as a reader have - finding out that the third doctor didn't know a creature the second doctor clearly had known....especially
patrycja polczyk
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice collection of stories - one about each Doctor. One or two were bit too childish, but rest was perfectly fine, relaxing read. Perfect for this time of the year, too. Maybe I'll find my own Doctor under the Christmas tree, too? ;)
Jane
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yet again a lovely collection of Doctor Who stories where I find that I enjoy those stories more where I am already familiar with the Doctor from the TV series. Although, I do have to admit that I am starting to appreciate the older Doctors more and more. Their mannerisms aren't quite close to my heart as, say 10 or 11 are, but I believe I'm starting to get the hang of them.

Each story was roughly 30 pages long and while I'm not always a short story fan, I actually really liked these festive Chri
rabbitprincess
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up
Lisa
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a big fan of the Christmas specials that came with the Doctor Who revival, especially those involving the 10th Doctor (oh, Donna, I felt for you in that bridal gown, Kylie on the fork lift, the spinning Christmas trees...) so I was happy when this book was announced on Audible last year. I started listening to it on my Christmas break back then, but only managed to finish a couple of the stories, before returning to them this December. While I find the stories charming and fun and full ...more
Rob Conner
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great little book to read over the holidays and I’ve been waiting to dive into it since I bought it last year after Christmas. I’m glad I waited to read it too. It is filled with 12 chapters, each a short story about one of the doctors incarnations, each about Christmas. Some were better than others, I enjoyed the 3rd, 8th, 10th and 12th doctors stories myself. But regardless of the story this book was amazing!

It definitely is a wonderful little anthology collection for any fan of Doc
David Caldwell
All of the Doctors having their own Christmas adventure.

These are short stories and some are better developed than others. But I wouldn't say any are bad so much as just short. They are often quite sedate for a Doctor Who adventure as well.

One of the best things is that the Doctors dealt with events that were more often associated with other incarnations of the Doctor. Truthfully, for me, the Doctor can sometimes feel like 12 separate characters instead of 12 versions of one character. By having
Kitvaria Sarene
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, scifi
As most doctor who books I've read so far this one was amazing too.
As always there are some stories I loved, some I liked and one that didn't do it so much for me.
But overall it was a fantastic, action packed, christmassy and entertaining read that I enjoyed a lot and will most likely reread next Christmas. ;)
Rachel
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Overall, a disappointing mix of short stories. A couple were good, a couple were tolerable, but the best that could be said for the majority was that they weren't TERRIBLE. There were a couple stories that were terrible. Rereading this will not become a holiday tradition, sadly.
Donna
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the short stories within this book :) not as good as the Fairy Tale one, though. But to have a Christmas story for each doctor was fantastic!
Allons-y!
Brooklyn Tayla
A fabulous and deliciously warm assortment of festive stories featuring our favourite Time Lord. Definitely recommend and would re read this annually :)
Diana Rusu
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome stories for Doctor Who fans of all ages!
Bec
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall rating is 3.5 stars! Bit childlike to begin with but the last few had a bit more depth and made me laugh!
Chris Wing
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Back when I was a kid, when you listened to your music albums on cassette, you tended to listen to the whole thing. Maybe you ended up being a bit more familiar with side one than you did side two, but, on the whole, you knew all the words of all the songs regardless of how much you liked or disliked them.
Yes, you could wind through them, but unless you were a miracle-worker, you tended to undershoot or overshoot, leaving the whole affair a bit clunky (like Walkman buttons of the early 80s).
With
Rebecca
I think this is the only Doctor Who book I've ever read that was explicitly aimed at children, rather than having a sort of default young-adult feel to it; between that and the short-story format, these are much simpler tales than the ones I'm used to, and as a veteran reader of sci-fi tie-in books, I can attest to their usual state of simplicity. But I can't claim I wasn't aware of this - it's published by Puffin, after all - and if there's ever a time for a few sweet and simple stories, it is ...more
Steph
As someone who had exams up until a few days before Christmas, I found this audiobook a fantastic way of quickly getting myself into the holiday spirit that had been squished away under stress.

My love of Doctor Who has faded in recent years because I'm not the biggest fan of Moffat's writing, nor was I a fan of Clara. However, these stories reminded me of just why I love it.

So, are some of the stories better than others? Definitely. "The Christmas Inversion" (3rd doctor meets Jackie Tyler), "S
Lori Schiele
Twelve stories for each of the twelve "faces" of the Doctor--both Classic and Reboot--from Hartnell to Capaldi. (Of course, I'm running on the assumption that, if you are reading the book, or this review, you are already familiar with Doctor Who so what I am saying isn't complete nonsense)

Each story was written by a different author who, it appeared quite obvious, were fans of Doctor Who, or at least of the specific Doctor that they wrote about and they mostly had the language and mannerisms dow
Radha
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was just so cute!!! Wonderful little anthology, they should seriously write a couple more just like this one, but with different thematic, of course.

1-All I want for Christmas: 4 ⭐. So cute.
2- A comedy of terrors: 3 ⭐
3- The Christmas inversion: 4 ⭐
4- Three wise men: 4 ⭐
5- Sontar’s little helpers: 4 ⭐
6-Fairy tale of New New York: 5 ⭐
7- The Grotto: 4 ⭐
8- Ghost of Christmas past: 5 ⭐. soooo sad!!
9- The red bycicle: 5 ⭐
10- Loose wire: 5 ⭐
11- The gift: 5 ⭐
12- The persistence of memory: 4 ⭐

I wa
Stina
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Written by multiple authors we get twelve Christmas stories one from every doctor to date, I personally have only watched the newest doctor who starting with the 9 Doctor when I can't get or see the previous one in Norway so the last four stories was more interesting to me.

It is twelve short stories so I would not recommend this is you have not watched Doctor who previously, these are more nostalgia stories so it won't be for everyone. The writing wasn't the best but you can't expect to much of
Jorge de la Vega
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Few SF properties have as storied a relationship with Xmas as Doctor Who, and this little anthology not only showcases some fun short stories, but also adds a little nostalgia factor for us long-time fans. Every story here is, obviously, set around Xmas time, one per Doctor from One to Twelve without counting War. The real treasure, however, is in the way every author captures the essence of each Doctor's era, taking into account the type of story that was most prominent for that particular inca ...more
Jacqueline Rayner is a best selling British author, best known for her work with the licensed fiction based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who.

Her first professional writing credit came when she adapted Paul Cornell's Virgin New Adventure novel Oh No It Isn't! for the audio format, the first release by Big Finish. (The novel featured the character of Bernice S

Doctor Who short stories (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Doctor Who Stories
  • Doctor Who: The Legends of Ashildr
  • Doctor Who: The Legends of River Song
  • Doctor Who: Myths and Legends

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99