Start by marking “Poetry Slam: The Competitive Art of Performance Poetry” as Want to Read:
Poetry Slam: The Competitive Art of Performance Poetry

Poetry Slam: The Competitive Art of Performance Poetry

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Poetry slams—the Olympics of poetry—have become a cultural phenomenon. This groundbreaking anthology documents 10 years of poetry slams, with 100 poems from national slam champions and a dozen essays on how to run a slam, winning strategies, tips for memorizing poems, and more.
Published April 1st 2000 by Manic D Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Poetry Slam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry Slam

Scott Whitney
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this because the creative writing club has decided to host a poetry slam. This has some great ideas for the slam, but it also has a lot of rough language in the poetry which is featured in the book.
Christopher Goins
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Every single poet in this volume is more experienced and a better writer than myself. By inclusion in this book they all are, by definition, published poets. Still, I think the writing was really weak. Can I do better? In time. But this is not the volume I'll turn to for inspiration.

Perhaps I would give this book a 3 if I heard the poems recited. Reading out loud only improved some of these.

I liked only a few poems in this book.

The essays on the various aspects of the slam were probably the mos
Kino McFarland
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I agree with others that have said the slam poetry (at least that which is in this book) is not very good in written form. I even tried reading the poems aloud, but I don't know the rhythm that is intended, so the effect is lost on me. In this case, I would say that this book needs a supplemental audio or video piece. The informational aspect of the book served its purpose, but I didn't like how after the first few sections of it, it gets divided between poetry. Structurally, this book does not ...more
Kristine Marie
This was my first "Spoken Word" Anthology that I ever read and inspired my interest in the art form. To this day, this collection still feels like my basic foundation and starting point. I was lucky to meet Alix Olsen and Saul Williams shortly after it was published and I'll never forget those experiences! I highly recommend this anthology. It does not disappoint. Of course the words are better performed, but if you're lucky enough to see the performance, reading the words over and over will def ...more
Julie
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a combination of poetry anthology and performance art strategies. The poetry is more fresh than polished; and the diversity of style stands out. Would highly recommend if you are going to participate in a slam. Or if you are just curious about what slams are all about.
emma
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, nonfic, poetry
Okay, the prose info on slam poetry was awesome, 5/5 stars
the poetry itself WOULD be 5/5 if I could HEAR it, but reading slam is just weird.
so the rating has nothing to do with the contents actually.
Sam
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
The poems are interesting, but it's hard to fully appreciate slam poetry when it's in a book. Even reading them out loud doesn't do them justice, as I don't know how they're meant to be performed. The group poems at the end were especially difficult to follow.
Terri Miles
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love poetry in most forms. I don't always understand it, but do enjoy it. I love the the imagination and vibe this book gives off. Some of the poetry in here is amazing (to me)and I would suggest this book to friends, family and strangers!
Keybrat
Feb 16, 2009 is currently reading it
The more I try to work my way through this, the more I realize that some Slam Poetry simply isn't that good in written form, something its taken me years to admit to.
Satia
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: poets
For the month of April (National Poetry Month), I have been posting a poem a day. Today I posted a poem with a book review.

Darlene House
Variety of poetry included along with enlightening insights about slams. Read the poems out loud for full effect.
Thea Lemaster