Start by marking “Complete Barchester Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Complete Barchester Chronicles

Complete Barchester Chronicles

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  667 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Anthony Trollope offers the complete six-novel collection of his acclaimed Barchester Chronicles, a narrative of clerical drama within the cathedral city.
Audiobook, 19 pages
Published 2008 by BBC Audiobooks (first published October 1857)

Charmaine Anderson
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

I am definitely hooked on Anthony Trollop. I said in other reviews of his books that the only reason he is not as popular as Dickens or Austen is that his novels are too long and most readers don’t want to tackle that much. For someone who pumped out 47 novels I think he might have wanted to pare them down a little so he could write more. But I can tell he fell in love with his characters and wanted every inch of them revealed and then he couldn’t bear to give them up. This was never so evident
Alison
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite series of books ever. The Warden is a little slow to start, but once you're in, you're in for good. Bucolic, ecclesiastical, gloves and fans, what else could one want.
Cathy
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trollope has his typical long-winded writing style that could use a good editor, but his story lines are always intriguing and draw you through the muddle of his explanations. Dissapointing that the main character's fate is told before the circumstances occur. Enjoyable, yet felt like "work" reading this.
Retha Sophia Wright
I got a lovely Modern Library hardcover edition of this in one of my abundant local bookstores. I've read nearly all of Dickens (who Trollope refers to as "Mr. Popular Sentiment." LOL!!!) so it was high time to embark on Trollope. I've dedicated my adventures on this site to all things Trollope as I could not possibly list all the books I've read. You have to start somewhere....
Feltboots
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible, classics
The BBC production was excellent and the huge cast were a joy to listen to. However, the stories themselves are predictable palour dramas some of which are a tad too saccharin for me. It took me a long time to finish this audiobook because I could only take so much without needing a break. Would recommend to anyone who adores Jane Austen and/or BBC Radio 4 serial 'The Archers'.
Pamela Grandstaff
I spent the winter of 2002 in a very isolated mountain town where it snowed every day for five months (at least it seemed like it). I read this whole series and not only did it keep me sane, I enjoyed every moment. If you are a Jane Austen lover, you will love these.
K.
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will NOT be reviewing the Kindle edition--but they didn't give an option in actual paper.

When I finish the series, I hope to write a complete review detailing the series and why they are important to today's reader.
John
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, trollope
Very enjoyable series. I'm now a big fan of Trollope. His style is more comfortable than that of Austen or Dickens. These books may not have reached the best by those authors but they are worth spending time with.
Richard C.
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the finest and most neglected works of the 19th century. Exquisite.
Jeffrey Green
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Trollope isn't a literary eminence, his company is enjoyable, and I certainly wouldn't have read all 6 of these novels if I didn't enjoy his company. Indeed, the secret of his literary charm is his self-presentation as the narrator. What's striking to me about his characters is the degree to which their action is guided by scruples, which, along with their apparent lack of genitals, makes them quite uncontemporary.
I liked the last volume in the series almost better than the rest. The w
Nikki
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long, leisurely read

A long, slow read sometimes but so much interest and fun in it. Trollope is wonderful at painting portraits of people to show their best sides but their "realness" at the same time. I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Amelia
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trollope for me is relaxing bedtime reading. I hope that isn't an insult. I reread many of his works over time and the Barsetshire series is my favorite, of course.

These are lovely studies of the politics of a cathedral town and the related people of all stripes of life.
Heydi Smith
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Absolutely incredible!!!
Ghost of the Library
How to review a classic and successfully add something new that will pull more readers to a good book?
....this review is a work in progress.....
Lucinda
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Barchester Chronicles is in two parts; part 1 being the warden and part 2 Barchester towers. It is a story that is about a man who is one of the most endearing and loveable characters that i have ever encountered within English literature and someone who holds a mirror up to us all, (that being the one and only Mr. Harding who is warden of Hirems hospital). He is a model of honesty, compassion and gentleness but who is wrongfully charged as a corrupted man and even when this falsehood is rec ...more
Webster Bull
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Listened to this as a sort of review of the Barsetshire novels, which I recently finished, hoping the audio would extend my enjoyment. Quite the contrary.

The dramatization turns Trollope (drastically abridged) into soap opera, when he is anything but. For example, the fifth book, "Small House at Allington," Is reduced to a love triangle, when the book itself has far more complex geometry, with a triangle near its center.

I do NOT recommend this to anyone as an audio abridgment of Trollope if yo
Diana Sandberg
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read all six of these novels over the past few months, the first 3 while travelling in Italy and France. I’m not going to review them individually, as they make a more-or-less coherent whole and their similarities are numerous. Overall I quite enjoyed them, although there were places where the overlapping tales got a little too similar. The wry look at the social lives of rural ecclesiastics in mid 19th century England is mostly amusing, but Trollope is capable of deeper insight as well. I was ...more
Mary Ann
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sad to finish all six of these novels which take place in the fictional town/county? of Barchester. I was really immersed in the lives of so many of the characters - Lily Dale, John Eames, Eleanor Bold/Arabin, Bishop and Mrs. Proudie, Dr. Thorne, Grace Crawley, Archdeacon Grantley...., too many to name. Some of the main characters from one novel reappear later in another. Some of Trollope's characters are too good or too bad to be true, but most of them are somewhere in between. If you love ...more
Diane Shearer
Love, love, love these books!

I am sorry to have discovered these books so late in life because I have fewer years to reread them. The characters have become dear to me and I will miss them terribly now that I've finished their story. The books are gems; so beautifully written; so compelling. I don't understand how a book in which almost nothing happens can be a page turner, yet the author has made the everyday lives if ordinary people unforgettable. These books will go on my favorites shelves wi
Marfy
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Sick with a bad cold--this sort of thing is perfect, entertaining but not too demanding. A man who knows how to write well, and sheds light on an earlier era. Rather dispiriting for a woman, tho.
Decided to label it unfinished. I will never finish this book--it's just too slow, too much time spent on repetitious speculations that add nothing to the plot. People complain that Jane Austen thinks only of marriage. The same could be said for Trollope, except he's not as witty as she is, and certainly
Catherine Letendre
Selon moi, l'auteur a essayé de copier Jane Austen, mais du point de vue d'un homme. Il décrit en détails minutieux les aspects les moins intéressants de l'histoire, la législation, décortique le cheminement de la pensée des personnages, mais uniquement sur les aspects non-importants. Telle une tragédie grecque, tous les moments importants se passent hors scène et sont coupés. L'auteur se croit obligé d'être omniprésent pour défendre ses stupides personnages. Très belle prose.
Lois
Jan 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have finished reading the first of the Barchester Novels, The Warden. I had watched these as movies on BBC and enjoyed them. I wanted to get the "full version" so I am reading the books. Mr. Harding, the central character, is a very likable person. Anthony Trollope spends a lot of time talking about side issues, so sometimes it takes a little perserverance to keep going, but his stories are interesting.

Cid
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten through two of the six and will be taking a little break. I really like Trollope's ability (somewhat like Dickens) to capture a time with his often two-dimensional but aptly symbolic cast of characters each representing a role in the grander scheme, but (also like Dickens) having been paid by the word he often rambles on a bit with more thoughts on the political and social issues of his day than I care to follow.
Mary Milner
I am halfway through this series, and I'd give it a 4 or 5 if I didn't sometimes think Trollope was being paid by the word! There are entire chapters that could be condensed to a few pages without any loss of literary value. Otherwise, Trollope is amusing and certainly not shy about making sport of people's foibles.
Glen
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language is typically Victorian: circuitous and verbose. There is often a lot of detail that's not particularly necessary for the story line - a modern editor would recommend a lot of cutting. Nevertheless, it's worth enduring these faults for the sake of the rich character descriptions and story line, and Trollope's deep understanding of human nature.
Allen
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoy anything by Anthony Trollope. I had first watched the Barchester Chronicles in the video version, which I highly recommend. Simon Raven wrote the script; he's a brilliant screen writer and novelist.
Sheila
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Very good BBC dramatisations of all the Barchester novels. Thoroughly enjoyed them all. The characters are great - Mrs Proudy is as unfogrettable as a Dickensian character. His women and men are pulled between duty, conscience and their hearts.
F
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wickedly hilarious, but sharply observed and not without a message. Was there ever a better or more aptly named set of characters? The slippery Mr Slope, the haughty Mrs Proudie, the child-overburdened Mr Quiverful?

Ann
So far:
The Warden
Barchester Towers

started reading after watching the BBC series "Barchester Towers"
Joetta swift
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Honestly, when does trollope ever disapoint? I could read the barchester chronicles over and over again.
  • The Alexander Trilogy
  • The Raj Quartet
  • The Prelude
  • The Complete Alice & the Hunting of the Snark
  • The Origins of the Second World War
  • The Plantagenet Prelude (Plantagenet Saga, #1)
  • Amos Barton
  • The Odes of John Keats
  • The Truth of the Matter
  • Diaries: 1983-1992
  • Delia's How to Cook: Book One (Delia's How to Cook #1)
  • Great Expectations & Hard Times
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha
More about Anthony Trollope...

“There was once a people in some land—and they may be still there for what I know—who thought it sacrilegious to stay the course of a raging fire. If a house were being burned, burn it must, even though there were facilities for saving it. For who would dare to interfere with the course of the god? Our idea of sorrow is much the same. We think it wicked, or at any rate heartless, to put it out. If a man’s wife be dead, he should go about lugubrious, with long face, for at least two years, or perhaps with full length for eighteen months, decreasing gradually during the other six. If he be a man who can quench his sorrow—put out his fire as it were—in less time than that, let him at any rate not show his power!” 1 likes
“Gift bread chokes in a man’s throat and poisons his blood, and sits like lead upon the heart.” 0 likes