Start by marking “Devil In Disguise” as Want to Read:
Devil In Disguise

Devil In Disguise

Could she convince him of the truth?
Clare Harper arrived in Greece to find Lazar Vardakas accusing her brother of seducing Lazar's young sister. Clare knew it couldn't be true.

Even worse, she learned that to appease his great family pride, Lazar intended to exact like payment from Clare for his sister's seduction.

Fate, however, decreed differently. Strangely, slowly, ou
Paperback, Mills & Boon Romance #2007
Published December 1982 by Mills & Boon (first published December 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Devil In Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil In Disguise

Sandra
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greek hero Lazar Vardakas wants revenge because he believes his sister Sophronia was seduced by Kit Harper and now her reputation is ruined. Lazar is looking to get even by seducing heroine Clare Harper, Kit's sister. (Lazar really wants Clare to willingly come to his bed and seduce him or her brother will suffer the consequences and get hurt.)

Clare can't believe this is happening. Lazar brought her to Greece because he told her that Kit had an accident. Clare was worried out of her mind and she
Leona
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hqn-presents
I am truly enjoying this author's work. I have to agree with Wilaful, this is one of those books that you are embarrassed to admit that you like.

The storyline and premise are so far-fetched that most people, wouldn't bother to go beyond the back cover. Let's see, you are kidnapped because your brother gets a woman drunk. You are threatened to "perform", or they will beat and maim your brother, yet you still end up loving the guy...Really?

Normally, this type of book would end up a wall banger fo
Naksed
Aayesha Khatri
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. ♥♥♥ Cannot describe how much I loved it.

So deliciously full of angst and pain and agony ♥

The H was so horribly cruel, and then so tender and gentle and sacrificing, and the h was just perfect, with her shyness.
StMargarets
Oh, this was sweet for a revenge story. Heroine was a trembling wreck at the beginning of the story and hero was one at the end. Lovely symmetry!

The story opens with the nineteen year-old heroine urging both of her brothers to go on holiday - one potholing and one to Greece. Her parents are on holiday, too and this is the first time she's going to stay alone. She survives a few nights alone but then comes a knock on the door. A very handsome Greek, the hero, is there to take her to her brother
Kathleen
I love how British author Jessica Steele creates conflict in her heroes, who can be ruthless. Then they end up loving the very one they despised and distrusted. Sometimes they even grovel a little -- as does the devil in this very book.

I tagged this book "holiday" because the ending takes place over the Christmas holiday. However, the seasonal festivities play only a minor (but critical) role.

As the cover depicts, Devil in Disguise is set mainly in Greece, even though it begins in England. Weal
KatieV
This was a wtf/trainwreck rec. But actually in the world of HP Greek tycoons, this guy was fairly tame. well written and fairly engaging, but not too memorable or a OTT wtf fest (which I wanted).
willaful
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Danielle the Book Huntress
One of those romances it's embarrassing to admit you enjoyed. Delicate flower Clare is abducted by a vengeful Greek, but he feels differently when he discovers she's been traumatized in the past. Not the best writing, but an entertaining story, with lots of passion and emotion. Just park your feminist sensibilities and reasoning ability at the door.
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
A typical Jessica Steele with an approximate ability to rouse your emotions to an angsty weepy pitch but still having an almost underdeveloped feel to it which you easily ignore as you are having too much fun shedding few tears with clockwork precision as and when the author finagles you to! Ms Steele is one of those authors I just can’t not read and so love her innocent-abroad hs!

*Spoilers Ahead*
The plot/trope is typical fun one- one of my favorite ones- an innocent virginal h tricked into goin
Melanie♥
Seems I like this one better the second time around. Upping my rating to 4.5 stars.
Jenny
Aww sweet, angsty, old-fashioned romance with an alpha but kind hero and a shy heroine who is so cute, i want to put her in my pocket!
Sandra IsAMoodyCowWhenSheCan'tRead
If you can get past the badly-written first couple chapters of the book, you may enjoy this one.

Clare our young heroine, was attacked viciously (not sexual) when she was 14 that has left her traumatised. She lives with her parents and two older brothers and at 19, she feels guilty of being a burden and is also a little tired of their over-protectiveness. Her parents are away on vacation and with one brother, Kit holidaying in Athens (hint on what’s coming), she manages to convince her last rema
Kay
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Sammy
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Beautiful Stars

Now dts the kinda story , you fall in love with the leads instantly , wait for the next scene eagerly , keep grinning with the sweet scenes...

sbf20112011
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good, older story. Loved the way the hero alternated between claiming he would take revenge on the heroine and taking care of her/being gentle with her.
Triada
EL DIABLO SE DISFRAZA (Spanish Version)

El honor de la familia exigía vengar la afrenta recibida, aunque la víctima fuera una inocente.

Sofía, la hermana de Lazar Vardakas, había sido seducida por el hermano de Clara Harper. Al menos eso pensaba él y, en consecuencia, para vengar el honor de la familia, Lazar debía, a su vez, seducir a Clara. Pero el destino les jugó una mala pasada. Por extraño que pareciera, una nueva Clara Harper surgió de aquella situación: una mujer dispuesta a amar... y ser
MaryD
Excellent! Lots of angst, but if this had been a HQP, the angst would have been through the ceiling. As it was, there was plenty of tension between the characters, but it was very well handled.

Though I hate the trope of punishing an innocent for the misdeeds of others, I loved how the relationship between Clare and Lazar developed as they came to know each other.
Mojdeh
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this Romance.Because of 2 different emotions of couple that they had about together.And Lazar Vardakas was so handsome and maybe my dream man ;)
Nikki
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Alright. Not alot going on in this one. Just kinda goes and then ends...
Lynn Smith
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this story and has been a favourite of mine by Jessica Steele. Bought new.
Usagi Tsukino
Mar 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-f
I like the idea to be the only one who disliked this book here. lol.
Carmen
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enjoying read as most of this author's works.
Suzanne
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked it ......the heroine was slightly too naïve for my taste ....but a very satisfying love story
Lede
Aug 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
At no point was I convinced that Clare was not an eight year old! One of the most infantile females that I've come across in Hp land.
Ana
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
between 3 and 4 stars but I gave 3 stars because some things are written too dramatically.
Book Elf
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: js-collection
I love all Jessica Steele's novels.
Kachana Ung
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
sweet, old-fashioned romance with no big misunderstanding or evil other woman/man.
Caroline
rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2014
  • Twist of Fate
  • Beyond Compare
  • Substitute Wife
  • A Sicilian Seduction
  • A Marriage Fit for a Sinner (Seven Sexy Sins, #6)
  • The Counterfeit Secretary
  • The Billionaire's Bridal Bargain (Bound by Gold #1)
  • Don't Ask Me Now
  • Song of the Waves
Jessica Steele was born on May 9, 1933 in the elegant Warwickshire town of Royal Leamington Spa. She has two super brothers, Colin and George, and a lovely sister, Elizabeth. She was a delicate child and missed a lot of school. In fact, she left school at aged 14, when she was diagnosed as having tuberculosis. At 16, she started work as a junior clerk. In 1967, Jessica married with her husband, Pe ...more