Start by marking “The Case of the Vagabond Virgin” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Vagabond Virgin

The Case of the Vagabond Virgin (Perry Mason #32)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  346 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Platinum blonde, Veronica Dale, is arrested on a charge of vagrancy, yet she has a hotel reservation in her name. Addison, head of a department store, booked the room for her and is now being blackmailed. Perry Mason can’t decide who is hiding what and then comes murder and one of Mason’s toughest trial scenes.

The Author: Erle Stanley Gardner (1889-1970) is the master of A
Mass Market Paperback, 223 pages
Published March 12th 1982 by Ballantine Books (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Vagabond Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Vagabond Virgin

Evgeny
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

It's the still waters that are inhabited by devils.
Russian Proverb

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
English Proverb

Devils
I would like to start with a disclaimer that in 1950 - the year the book was published - the word "virgin" did not mean a particularities of female anatomy, but rather an inexperienced naive young girl. I made this disclaimer not to give you the wrong impression that Perry Mason stopped practicing the law and became a gynecologist; he had not.

So one fine day a wealthy department
Evelyn
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable Perry Mason mystery from the late 1940s whose title and opening chapter telegraphs many of the critical elements of the mystery and its ultimate solution. However, the red herrings and plot turns keep you reading until the end, although much of this would be implausible in 2016.
Alyson
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid installment in the Perry Mason series, and the perfect reminder of why the "good old days" were not good for everyone... basically if you were a woman (or any minority) life was rough. We are reminded that women were not allowed to rent hotel rooms alone, go out after a "reasonable" hour in the evening unescorted, or exist at all sans man.

Anyway, equality of the day aside, the book is a fun little mystery that provides more clues than most Perry Mason stories, AND contains a wholly satisf
Richa
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not great. I foresaw the correct solution much early in the story. Personally, because of that maybe, I wanted this book to end sooner.
Anyways, loved the court scene, as always.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Entertaining. Perry Mason in the late 40s.
Mary
Jan 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am getting better at picking out the clues! Only about a million more of these to read in my 'Read all Perry Mason' quest!!!!
E
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not originally on my list of to-read "classic" Perry Mason novels (although it was adapted early in season 1 of the TV show), but reading a description of it later caught my eye. Now I know why it wasn't on my list. It's about 2.5 stars, but just entertaining enough to get up to 3. The plot is pretty simple. Basically Perry realized that the prosecution assumed the facts in the case supported a certain interpretation but needn't necessarily do so. Once he realized this, he solved the ca ...more
Serena
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Rating System:
False

The Author: Erle Stanley Gardner (1889-1970) is the master of American mystery fiction.
A civil rights lawyer, his mysteries contain intricate, ever-twisting plots. Challenging and full of
Ed
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#32 in the Perry Mason series. This 1948 entry is typical of the Perry Mason mysteries. The plot is convoluted, red herrings abound, and there are courtroom pyrotechnics. All is solved by Perry in an implausible, though very enjoyable, exposition.

Perry Mason series - Addison, partner in a large department store, is returning from a business trip. He gives a ride to a young girl, and when he finds out she has no money he helps her out by giving her some cash and arranges for a hotel room for her.
Syrdarya
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The best Perry Mason novel I've read so far. The courtroom scenes, which I usually find a little boring and repetitive and somehow still hard to follow, were probably the best part - full of humor, easy to follow, and gripping.

A young woman named Veronica Dale hitchhiked across the country to California, and a department store owner named Addison picked her up. He paid for her to stay in a hotel, and she promptly went outside and got herself arrested for vagrancy. Addison hires Mason to help Ver
Doug Dams
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A department store tycoon picks up an innocent young girl who is charged with vagrancy. The tycoon wants Perry to get her out of jail. Perry gets her out but then she's charged with a murder. Perry has to work hard to find the answers to solve this case. A good story in the series. The courtroom action is where Gardner shines.
Mifo4ka
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Как первое знакомство с Перри Мейсоном подойдет, книжка ушла за вечер. В целом, я думаю (предполагаю пока что), что должны быть более крутые произведения с этим героем. А эту книгу выбрала лишь по тому, что у меня был бумажный вариант, а мне что-то уж очень захотелось книги в бумаге.
Richard Fifield
Too many virgins, not enough vagabonds. Perry Mason is a good lawyer for 1943, but Nancy Grace would DESTROY him.
Dyah Subagyo
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
What a two-timing, hypocrite little hussy! I hope she'll get her karma. Disfiguration because of an accident will be very welcome, or premature aging...
Wendy
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for my "reading" book club and am really glad I did. What fun! Now I have to track down some more Perry Mason stories--preferably starting with the first and then reading all 80plus.
June Jones
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never thought I would enjoy Perry Mason story, but it was excellent.
Kevin
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You really have to think outside the box to figure this out. The solution is very logical. Good read.
Irina Slav
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was a good one, nice and funny.
Monica Willyard
This is my least favorite Perry Mason book. The plot is still good, but the characters weren't very sympathetic. I found myself getting really annoyed with the client in this novel.
Vincent Darlage
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An excellent Perry Mason novel.
J.L. Rallios
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining, page-turning Perry Mason mystery with murder (of course), blackmail, riveting court scenes, clever twists, and a satisfying conclusion. Loved it.
Age Lehter
Jun 14, 2017
Diana
Jan 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cat of Many Tails (Ellery Queen Detective, #20)
  • I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #1)
  • Death Times Three (Nero Wolfe, #47)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
  • All That Glitters: A Jake & Laura Mystery
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • The Curse of the Bronze Lamp (Sir Henry Merrivale, #16)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Shadow of the Rat
  • Poirot Investigates Vol. 1
  • Help Wanted: Orphans Preferred (Mac Fontana, #2)
  • Follow the Sharks (Brady Coyne, #3)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Adventure in Washington
  • Rubout (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #2)
  • Heads You Lose
  • Kiss Her Goodbye (Hard Case Crime #8)
  • Watches of the Night (Ben Reese, #5)
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • Privileged Lives

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 86 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager

“Then I’ll have more fun searching in vain then marrying one of the wrong sort.” 0 likes