Start by marking “Dad and the Dinosaur” as Want to Read:
Dad and the Dinosaur

Dad and the Dinosaur

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  893 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
A heartwarming father-son story about bravery and facing fears.

His dad was not afraid of anything.
Nicholas wants to be as brave as his dad, but he needs help. That s why he needs a dinosaur. After all, dinosaurs like the dark, bugs are nothing to
Published March 28th 2017 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dad and the Dinosaur, please sign up.

Shelley
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, youth
My department is pretty uniform in not liking this book!! I really didn't like the dad and the son both blowing off the mom (It's guy stuff; we won't tell her), the idea that fear/anxiety is something to hide, no recognition that it wasn't the dinosaur--he was brave himself, etc. I feel like this would seriously reinforce a lot of kids' anxieties, especially kids who had an anxiety disorder. The art was great, but honestly, I expect so much more from this author.
Ryan
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has amazing illustrations that I could stare at all day. The use of color and shadow are perfection. The story is about Nate and his dinosaur that gives him strength to overcome scary things in life. A story that will resonate with parents and children alike.
Justin
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, picture-books
I read an early ARC of this picture book, and it's as wonderfully written and beautifully illustrated as one would expect from this team. But it also reinforces the idea of experiencing and admitting fear as unmasculine ("guy stuff," "don't tell mom"), which left a sour taste in my mouth, sweet and realistic though it may be.
Tim
Apr 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is the second picture book by Choldenko that I have read and come away feeling a little sick. Really didn't like "Putting the Monkeys to Bed". This one's worse. I think she should stick to longer fiction. It's not a healthy thing for kids to hide their fears. They should talk to their parents about them. BOTH their parents. FACELESS Dad in this book is a paragon of manhood. Caring mother whose face we do see gets blown off. The more I think about it the worse I feel this book is & don't ...more
Mary Ann
I love how Gennifer Choldenko's newest picture book, Dad and the Dinosaur, normalizes fear, and lets us know that we can move forward. Gennifer Choldenko and Dan Santat are a terrific team here, showing Nicholas's courage as the dinosaur helps make him strong. The dinosaur is ginormous as it helps him score the winning soccer goal when he played against the goalie they called Gorilla.

Part of me expected the story to take the "tough love" approach when Nicholas loses his dinosaur. As an adult, I
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

"Nicholas was afraid of the dark outside his door, the bushes where the giant bugs live, and the underside of manhole covers. His dad was not afraid of anything." Nic uses a dinosaur figure to do things that scare him... but what does he do when he looses his lucky charm? He goes to his dad!

I was really taken with the art in this book. Every spread is not gorgeous but the art goes a long way in telling the story. And there are some
Colona Public Library
I loved the illustrations in this book. The color scheme was terrific. However. I am a little disappointed in the ending. The book was about a little boy who kept a tiny dinosaur in his pocket because he was afraid of certain things like the dark, but his dinosaur was not. When after a soccer game, he loses his dinosaur and suddenly the world to him is a scary place. I like the fact that he looks up to his dad and tells him the truth about the dinosaur. I don't like that both him and his son go ...more
Rebecca Palermo
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary:
Nicholas is fearful, but wants to be more brave like his dad. Nicholas has a toy dinosaur to help him overcome his fears because dinosaurs aren't afraid on anything. He takes the dinosaur everywhere until one day he loses it; but luckily, dad is there to help him find it and Nicholas is brave again.

Evaluation:
I thought this book was cute for children because shows a kid trying to overcome his fears. It is also relatable for children because it comes from the perspective of a child and a
Emma (Miss Print)
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
idk. The illustrations are gorgeous but I'm not sure how I feel about the mom being completely sidelined.
Traci
Every child has fears and tries to find ways to cope with those fears. In this picture book written by Gennifer Choldenko , a boy keeps his fears at bay with his trusty dinosaur. Will he always have to have his dinosaur or will he realize their is nothing wrong with always having something that makes him feel brave?

Illustrator Dan Santat brings just enough light into the illustrations to make the story pop.

A great pairing!

Published by G. P Putnam Sons.

#PB #fears
Steve Holden
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a tough review for me, as I rarely rate picture books below par. My intention in reviewing a picture book a day is to focus on my favorites and new ones that I want to have a reference for in making sure I always use or have available in my classroom. I'm not here to rip on books or to be a difficult critic. I just can't help myself on this one, however, so I'm going put out some thoughts on just seeing this one widely available and reading it once.

PROS:

It's beautifully illustrated! The
Sasha
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dads and Dinosaurs make you brave!

It's a sweet book about father/son relationships and bravery. Gorgeous illustrations and an unexpected direction for the ending (not sure I like it but it was unexpected, so points! I guess?) A lovely book to read with a young kid whose imagination causes them more than the usual amount of fear and wonder.
Julie
I loved it- especially the son and dad moment. Every child needs to know they are special and I think this book conveys the love between this boy and his dad beautifully.
Margie
Reaching a hand in my pocket I brush my fingers over the five smooth stones. For decades they have been my constant traveling companions, in a jacket or pair of jeans, on the dashboard of the car or on the kitchen window sill, ready for our next adventure. Are you thinking, why five smooth stones? According to accounts David had five stones with him when facing Goliath. It wasn't that he lacked courage or faith but he believed in being prepared. Goliath had four other family members.

My dad, one
Nikki
I really loved the story and illustrations in this book, but I really HATED how the dad and his son blew the mom off at the end of the story to "do guy stuff." I get the idea behind it, and think it is a very sweet, but I think it unnecessarily isolates the mom in the story, and wish that different text had been used to communicate the bonding taking place between the dad and son.
Michele Knott
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
about being brave.
Angelina
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
The second star is for the illustrations, although they're not that special. The story is unsatisfying to say the least and sends weird messages.
Angie  Moore
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
There is just something about this book that I love. Most likely the relationship between the dad and the boy, and that just when you think its going to go one way it surprisingly and wonderfully goes the other. This is a must add to the libraries!
Jolyce Abernathy
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations by Dan Santat (as always) and a great story about a dad that goes the extra mile for his child. Sweet, positive and encouraging.
Kim
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
What an tender story of a father and son relationship. I love the combo of Newberry honor winner author Gennifer Choldenko and Caldecott award winner illustrator Dan Santat. Amazing pairing! Santat's illustrations bring to life Choldenko's story of bravery, courage, and perserverance.
Kelly
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. Shows again how Choldenko is a wonderful author, and I love Dan Santat's interpretation of the text.
mary dewley
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Workaholic father spends time helping his son locate his missing dinosaur toy. Cute and simplistic, but there was a lack of discussion regarding bravery and being able to do things on one's own. The child was so concerned with comparing himself to his father, and I was very disappointed that this was not explored, it was merely swept under the rug even though it was the main theme of the book. I did love the dinosaur’s expressions when the idealized version of itself came alive in the child’s mi ...more
Brittany Gaskins
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 21-30
Summary: Nicholas is fearful of many minor things and has found something that makes him feel more secure. He thinks the dinosaur is what does it all for him. One day when his dino is misplaced, dad helps him find it and he realizes it isn't just a figure that can help with making us brave, but it could be the people who encourage us to be brave.
Eval: I thought this was a cute book for young readers. It shows how we all have things we worry about and are afraid of, but we always have someone th
Holly
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are engaging, but the story wasn't fulfilling.
Frances Hotchkiss
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
We all need a little help feeling brave from time to time. For Nick it is a toy dinosaur that does the trick for him. At bedtime he realizes he has lost the dinosaur and begins to feel afraid again. His dad is the hero and takes Nick out to find him. I like that it is the dad for a change that helps solve a problem.
Robin Loughlin
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dad and the Dinosaur was a cute book about a little boy, who needed a little extra courage. He was creative enough to come up with his own plan of carrying a toy dinosaur around, but very sad when he lost it. His dad showed true sensitivity and understanding by taking him out to search for his lost dinosaur and keeping the secret between the two of them.
Malia Gaddis
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Summary: The story tells about a young boy that is much braver when he has his toy dinosaur. After losing the toy, his dad comes to the rescue and goes on a mission to help him find it.

Evaluation: This book is something that could happen, but most likely never going to. The book also has real characters, but the dinosaur isn't real. The illustrations in the book are good, but I think the story could contain more details.

Teaching: I would use this story to teach about text to self. After readin
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
In case you somehow missed it, I have a dinosaur loving preschooler, so when this book showed up on my doorstep for review, he was thrilled. We read a lot of dinosaur books, which I have mentioned before, but Dad and the Dinosaur one is one of our favorites.

What makes it stand out? The fact that it's so, so relatable. It's about a young boy named Nicholas, who, like a lot of other young children, is afraid of many things. But he doesn't let these fears stop him as he has a plastic dinosaur that
There’s a Lego in my bum which fits with the Lego in my chair and when I sit down to write, I hear the satisfying snap of the two pieces fitting together. I love words, dictionaries, thesauruses, sharp pencils, the smell of book ink and the delicious art of carving out sentences on clean white paper. I love to slip into another person’s skin and feel what it’s like to live another life. I love whe ...more
More about Gennifer Choldenko