Start by marking “Fifty Feet of Trouble (City of Devils #2)” as Want to Read:
Fifty Feet of Trouble (City of Devils #2)

Fifty Feet of Trouble

(City of Devils)

Being a private investigator ain't all it's cracked up to be—especially when you spend most of your time looking for missing kids and trying not to get turned into something that goes bump in the night instead of making time with femme fatales. But hey, it's a living. And there's never a shortage of work for the last human detective in a city of monsters. Right now, Nick M ...more
Published October 31st 2016 by Candlemark & Gleam

To ask other readers questions about Fifty Feet of Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifty Feet of Trouble

Ry Herman
Justin Robinson knocks it out of the park, putting both his encyclopedic knowledge of classic movie monsters and great sense of humor to good use. Nick Moss, the last human PI in Los Angeles, is hired to take on a number of seemingly unrelated cases in rapid succession. The result is... well, take a look at the title. Well-written, great action, great story.
Chris Manydeeds
It is an interesting idea, putting all the 1950s monsters or creatures together into one place. The book provides a rich, if impossible, environment. It tries to be a fun book, but gets a little too bogged down into the details of each monster. As a result, the main narrative tends to get a little muddled. As an example, the title character does not show up until half of the book is finished because the main character has to introduce you to all the side characters. The title character is really ...more
Kat
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really is one of the most original ideas for a story. What if the monsters from those classic monster stories existed and lived alongside humans? Nick Moss is a very likable character because he actually has faults and seems so human (I mean he is human... the last human PI that is... just read the book!) I love that we got to see more of the side characters in this story and I’m very much looking forward to the next book in this series.
Dave Clarke
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just as much fun to read as City of Devils. I love reading about classic horror monsters interacting with each other and humans in what would be considered every day life with a slight twist, and the main character just trying to do his job and living with the difficulty of dealing with monsters who want to eat or turn him. I highly recommend this book... but read City of Devils first... and read any future books after this. Seriously, Justin Robinson has created an amazing world.
Holly
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Such a fun action-packed book! A sequel that might even be better than the first, and leaves you wishing the next installment was already out. Justin Robinson's monster world is full of clever winks and nods to the monster stories we know, served with a huge dollop of creativity and a side of puns that make me both grin and groan. Can't wait for book 3!
C Patrick Daily
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Rip roaring romp through an alternate LA

Another outstanding entry in this series. This time we get to see glimpses of Nick Moss' past, as well as more monsters and their ecology. I can't wait for the next book!
Jeff
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it, book has an interesting concept.

However I'm not sure why I start on book 2.....

Next up is book 1.
Marcus
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Wacky idea that nearly works. Underpinned by a solid plot and a strong main character but the one-liners are a bit too few and the book a bit too long to keep me engaged in the menagerie of monsters.
Aaron
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Robinson does it again with the second book in his CoD world. I was sold on this series from page one of City of Devils, and it keeps getting better.
Mana Taylor-Hall
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nick Moss, the last human detective in the LA, returns in the sequel to City of Devils. This time both Moss and his city go from drought to deluge, the sunny city hit but increasingly powerful storms while Moss goes from nothing to multiple missing person (well, one missing toad) cases.

Moss's second case is the missing daughter of old friends from the Night War giving us a glimpse both of those harrowing years and the current only human communities. Nick, for all of his paranoia and reasonable m
Kate
Another tour de force by Justin Robinson. This second entry in the City of Devils series has all the charm, wit, humor, and creativity of the first - and, dare I say, takes it ten steps further with even more fully realized characters and crazy, crazy situations. A must-read for anyone who loves a heaping helping of snark with their noir.

Poor Nick Moss just can't catch a break. Not only is he still dodging monsters (including one very attractive one) who want to turn him, he's got another imposs
H.L. Cherryholmes
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Justin Robinson is absolutely one of my favorite authors. I think I've read all of his books (except for the YA book because I'm way closer to OA) and the City of Devils is my favorite of his series (Get Blank series is a very, very close second). Fifty Feet is such an enjoyable read, filled with delightful characters (particularly, of course, MR. NICK MOSS!). Mr. Robinson (!) is so adept at weaving a mystery, tossing out hints here and there that seem unimportant until that last loop is closed ...more
Meg
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, entertaining, creative read. Nick Moss, the only human detective left in monster infested L.A., fights his way through a dangerous world where humans are the minority and monsters rule. He is hired for several unrelated cases that take him to an island where humans are forbidden and force him to face his past. The story itself is like a regular private investigator tale except it's set in another world, creatively dominated by vampires, doppelgangers, sirens, gill-men, giants, an ...more
Matt
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
This was a great book. The action moves fast and Moss has to think even quicker if he wants to solve the case.
Kate Sherrod
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: candlemark-gleam
I was not expecting this to be Robinson's best book yet, but it's his best book yet. Full write-up soon over at kateofmind.blogspot.com
Maranda
Oct 20, 2016
Kevin Hogan
Dec 29, 2016
Jamie Galea
rated it did not like it
Feb 04, 2017
Pat
Dawn Obrien
Amy
Oct 02, 2016
Much like film noir, Justin Robinson was born and raised in Los Angeles. He splits his time between editing comic books, writing prose and wondering what that disgusting smell is. Degrees in Anthropology and History prepared him for unemployment, but an obsession with horror fiction and a laundry list of phobias provided a more attractive option.

City of Devils (3 books)
  • City of Devils (City of Devils #1)
  • Wolfman Confidential (City of Devils #3)