Start by marking “American Monsters (Demon Road #3)” as Want to Read:
American Monsters (Demon Road #3)

American Monsters (Demon Road #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  853 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews

The epic conclusion in the mind-blowing supernatural thriller from bestselling author DEREK LANDY, creator of international sensation Skulduggery Pleasant.

Bigger, meaner, stronger, Amber closes in on her murderous parents as they make one last desperate play for power. Her own last hopes of salvation, however, rest beyond vengeance, beyond the abominable killers – living a

Published March 9th 2017 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published August 25th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about American Monsters, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Amanda Minnock
I would like to thank HarperCollins UK, Children's & Derek Landy for my copy of the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I've loved The Demon Road Trilogy it has been an awesome series, I just don't know how I feel about the last book. Yeah, it was good but it took me a while to get into it and I found some of it to be pretty boring which made feel detached from it so for that I give it 3.5 stars.

It follows on from the last book Amber now being The Shinning Demons Representative and looks li
Jasmine
May 20, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Cover Reveal (05/20/2016):
description

Started from the bottom and now we're below zero and in the minuses. Dear god these covers just get worse. It's like watching a car crash.
Stef White
-_- dissappointing. This series had so much potential but it just completely failed. The first book was great but the other 2 have just lacked in comparison.
ABookishGift Reviews (Max)
***4.5 STARS***

Derek Landy always comes out with something new and original, never fails at his stories, always keeps on coming out with the best and only the best. His characters are flawless, I love the stories and the dialogue. Oh, and the plot of this series, the plots, are just amazing and I love them. Milo Sebastian is such a great character, showing the good and bad in every character and showing that there are some redeeming qualities to make up for the bad things that he has done with h
Dave Taylor
Ahhh! I can't believe it's over, what a great read. I couldn't put this one down, such a great road trip.
One of the fastest paced roller coaster journeys of the imagination I have been on.
Brilliant.
I'mogén
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Video review (including a spoiler discussion!): https://youtu.be/YROIZpOJVsM

Thank you to the publishers and author to allow me to read this in exchange for an honest review, via Netgalley.

American Monsters was brilliant and a fantastic end to the Demon Road trilogy! The books got better and better as they went on, with the first being a 4 star read for me, the second a 4.5 star and the final a 5 star read. These books have been amazing!

Amber was so kick arse in this final book but we see she's s
Luna
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly can’t remember when I’ve last read a trilogy (or series) of books so close together. The only reason I didn’t read the whole Demon Road trilogy in one go was because American Monsters wasn’t published when I started Demon Road.

So what’s the conclusion like? Well I preferred American Monsters to Desolation. The focus of the story has returned to Amber, the narration not shifting to other characters. For me, I think this works better. Amber’s character has grown a lot since Demon Road a
Rose
~I received a copy from HarperCollins NZ in exchange for an honest review~

Amber Lamont takes complicated to a whole new level as she becomes the Shining Demon, Astaroth's representative, and together with her companion Milo Sebastian and her ghost of a friend Glen she takes up her most dangerous quest yet as she seeks a way to defeat her parents once and for all, double-cross the Shining Demon, and escape alive.

American Monsters certainly isn't uninteresting, but I think there's a lot more room
Emily Rennie
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Ok. My immediate thought after finishing this was 'that's it?'. So many things seemed to be completely unresolved by the end of this trilogy. It all felt so rushed. I understand there was a tight deadline for completing this book, but it really shows.

Amber went from hating her image to liking it, simply because Kelly fancies her. Amber's character felt completely random in this, and so different to how she previously was in Demon Road. She's suddenly treating everybody like dirt.

Too many chara
Jessica
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2016
Full review to come but lets have some closing comments shall we?

As the final book in the Demon Road Trilogy I was ready to finish this story, although I was worried, as I had mixed feelings about Desolation but American Monsters was amazing!
The characters were amazing and the story was finished perfectly. I will admit that I cried like a child near the end during my lunch break at work ( that was embarrassing!) but everything was mostly tied up.
there are a few things that aren't resolved but
Kristy ▪ The Reader Dragon
I never thought it possible, but Derek Landy has let me down. This whole book felt so rushed, and the ending was very anticlimactic.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of stuff happened, but I just found myself.. not caring. The story jumped all over the place a bit with so many different little story arcs, but somehow Derek managed to tie them all together, albeit somewhat messily. I just have so many unanswered questions!!

I in no way disliked this book. I admire Derek Landy. He is to me what J.K. Rowli
Nella
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know, I still really like Amber and Milo, and the action and humor is still fucking perfect, but so much of the story was wasted on Amber being unnecessarily nasty to Milo (and everyone else). Plus, the plot felt really fragmented with a lot of stuff that were great on their own but just didn't fit the story or didn't work when put together, and a lot of the "shocking" reveals and death didn't work at all (I am legitimately angry angry about some of the deaths in this book).

Full review i
Anastasia
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Derek Landy, fans of strong female characters
Shelves: 5-stars
Now THAT was a road trip!

& it was my kind of a road trip. You know. One with demons, vampires, monsters and with a nice mix of horror and gore...and a touch of humor. What a great trilogy!
Helen
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2018
description

Oh, boy was this a let-down.

I liked Demon Road. I thought Desolation was pretty great. But this book was veeeery bad.

The whole thing felt pretty rushed. It also felt like Derek had tried to cram in EVERY PLOT POINT POSSIBLE into what is actually a fairly short book, and it didn't work. Dozens of new subplots cropped up, diverted the story for a few dozen pages and then were resolved, which meant that the main plot - catching Amber's parents and somehow getting out of her contract with Astaroth
Matthew
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

One way or another...

this ends tonight.

It's all going to hell...

American Monsters
is another book I've been heavily anticipating for most of the year. Landy's sexy, supernatural horror trilogy has been spectacular, and the final entry doesn't disappoint. Showcasing his spectacular skills at blending the severe with the comedic, American Monsters gives us more of what we love of the series while sadly also wrapping it up.

Damn!

I've made this comparison before, but it's more than apt: If
Ni
All i'm gonna say?; Cheap ending. Cheap god damn ending
Daisy
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quality Rating: Four Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Four Stars

◆ Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins for this eBook copy for review ◆

So the Demon Road trilogy has been a bit of a rollercoaster for everyone, I think. Personally, I'm happy I read it and it's strengthened my desire to read anything Derek comes up with. It's definitely not perfect and not what a lot of people were expecting, but considering there was so much to live up to after Skulduggery I think it's been a worthwhile ride.

I admit horro
Olga Miret
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Hell and Back. An ending worthy of the series. Thanks to Harper Collin’s Children and to Net Galley for providing me with an ARC copy of this novel that I voluntarily reviewed.
I’ve followed with interest Derek Landy’s series of The Demon Road Trilogy, and the evolution of Amber, the main character. If it’s true that adolescence is a difficult time, try it when your parents are demons planning on eating you when you become sixteen to increase their power, and you’ll see that Amber’s circumstan
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from HarperCollins Australia for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Amber and Milo are on the road again, trying to hunt down Amber's parents while also acting as Astaroth's representative. When an opportunity arises for a double-cross, Amber must keep her cards close to her chest or risk death and eternal torment.

This is a finale that really does the series justice. I am so glad that Landy didn't fall into the trap of trying to draw the ending out as long as possible whi
Emily
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A disappointing finish to an ultimately disappointing trilogy. Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant books are among my Favourites Of All Time, so I've been saddened this year a) by Resurrection, the unexpected Skulduggery book 10 that should never have happened, and b) by this book. I quite liked Demon Road (book 1), and I actually really enjoyed Desolation(book 2), but not this.

It just felt ever more like washed-out Skulduggery. Amber more or less IS Valkyrie, and the two series explore the EXACT SAME
Karenza
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants an interesting read and doesn't mind horror and violence.
Ok so this book was good. Like really good but what stopped me from giving it five stars was the deaths. Soooo many deaths. Of nice characters too. Well some of them were nice.
Also the ending was a bit anticlimactic. And I get that it's hard to close off a series. I mean you have been building up to a finale were Amber may or may not kill her parents, cheat Astaroth and drive away happily with Milo. A finale were every single one of Amber's friends could die and she could be stuck as Astaroth's
Kirsty Stanley
Excellent conclusion. But ... *quietly sobs*.
Ash
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing as per usual. I hope he's still writing bc Derek Landy is my absolute fave and I adore every single character he creates (even the evil ones lol) I need more pls
Valentine
My God, I can't believe this is over. I devoured this last book, and now what am I supposed to do ? Why do I have the feeling I'll never love a book series as much as I did with Demon Road?

It's just an amazing series. I've read several, but this one is the only that felt like there was a real development through each books. What I'm trying to say, is that the series manages to maintain the same twisted, modern horror feeling, while making each book different and full of new surprises. And talkin
Mariyan Zhilanov
This is my first time laying out my thoughts so I can't promise i wont be spoiling something.
For what it was worth I enjoyed my time on the Demon Road. Following Skulduggery Pleasant however, I had set my expectations far too high and as I close the last pages of the book and put it back on my shelf I can't help but feel a bit of a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. While my biggest problem with "Desolation" was in regards to the pacing where the whole book kind of needlessly stretched out the event
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Male readers and Landy fans
Kyle Galloway
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Kyle by: Tesco's
Shelves: fave-books
Oh my God. Loads of people have been slating the Demon Road series, but I swear to God this has been my favorite series. Ever. I mean, of course there were problems. Plenty of them. I didn't like Amber's ongoing naivety (you'd think so many months on the run from supernatural serial killers and demons would have taught her to be more sensible). I hated, hated, the deaths. So unnecessary. Sometimes I feel like Derek just kills off a character just to cause shock. Did they all have to die (you kno ...more
WyrmbergMalcolm
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying conclusion to a fun trilogy. Deliciously graphic and violent, this book directly follows on from the conclusion to book two, so I can't say much without spoiling the other books in the series.
Needless to say, the stakes are higher, the monsters are tougher and Amber is still useless in combat. I consider this a good thing because too many times the perfectly ordinary loser suddenly gets some super power and then can not only wield them proficiently but they also suddenly know kung
Matthew
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover-shelf, 2017
I was not sure about this book going into it, I really enjoyed Demon Road when I read it (despite it feeling quite episodic) it was a promising start to what looked like it would be a great trilogy and I feel like if I read it again I would still like it. Desolation on the other hand I hated so I had put off finishing the trilogy because there was a chance that I would hate it as well, but after liking the new Skulduggery Pleasant book I thought I would give it a chance. And I hated it. Sorry.

Fo
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Unicorn Training (Pip Bartlett, #2)
  • Liebe kennt keinen Plan (Living the Dream, #1)
  • Royal Tour (Potion, #2)
  • The Names They Gave Us
  • Untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
  • The Crimson Skew (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #3)
  • Superman (DC Icons #4)
  • The Last Beginning (The Next Together, #2)
  • The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace, #2)
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • The Telling
  • The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)
  • The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #2)
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • Lodestar (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #5)
  • The Hearts We Sold
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
Derek Landy is an Irish writer and screenwriter. In addition to the bestselling children's/YA series of Skulduggery Pleasant books, a supernatural mystery series starring Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton detective, and Valkyrie Cain, a young female magician, he has written two screenplays that have been made into films: the IFTA award winning "Dead Bodies" and the IFTA nominated "Boy Eats Girl". L ...more
More about Derek Landy...

Demon Road (3 books)
  • Demon Road (Demon Road, #1)
  • Desolation (Demon Road, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“She's starved herself to conform to the male perception of what makes a woman beautiful. I didn't need to do that. I was comfortable in myself and that's what made me beautiful. I didn't need male approval."
"Uh, neither does Kelly. She's a lesbian.”
2 likes
“You okay?" Amber asked.
Kelly smiled. "I burned down the first house they kept me in," she said. "Then I took their phone and used it to transfer all their money to different charities...”
2 likes