Start by marking “The Ex Factor” as Want to Read:
The Ex  Factor

The Ex Factor

Is it possible to freecycle love?

Modern dating is hard, especially when all you meet are liars, oddballs, men who wear Superman pants and men who live with their mums.

So why not date someone who already comes pre-approved? Just because your friend’s ex wasn’t right for her doesn’t mean that he won’t be right for you. That’s Marnie’s new plan for herself and her three best
Published August 11th 2016 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about The Ex Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ex Factor

Start your review of The Ex Factor
Bethan Watson
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, romance, chick-lit
This is a light-hearted and witty outlook on modern dating. Have you ever fancied your friend’s ex? I bet you have, even if you are ashamed to admit it. It was an unusual outlook on chick-lit and it made for good reading. The story revolved around four friends, Marnie, Helen, Ani and Rosa. Helen and Marnie have been friends since primary school and they met Ani and Rosa at a university. It’s definitely a laugh out loud, if you were a fan of Bridget Jones – you will love this. There are however s ...more
Ana

Originally posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

'The Ex Factor' is Eva Woods' second novel and though I haven't read her debut, The Thirty List, I was very much looking forward to reading this one. The beautiful cover and the intriguing blurb were more than enough to make me want to read it. While I wasn't exactly disappointed in the book, I have to say I was expecting something bit different.

Marnie, Helen, Rosa and Ani have been f
Rachel Gilbey
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a different take on a dating fiction, I think this is the first time I've ever seen a group of friends encourage each other to date their exes, possibly due to all the issues that such a possibly radical idea would bring up.

The Ex Factor, focuses on a set of four friends, who are all approaching the dating scene from very different angles, there is Rosa who is just in the process of being divorced and barely dated before meeting her husband, Ani who is a lawyer, who is sick of internet dat
Gemma
It's been a little while since I have read a contemporary romance/ "chick-lit" book and I have to say that it was really refreshing. This book especially was refreshing due to the fact that finding romance is the catalyst for the book and not really the end game. Also, the fact that all four female characters are in there 30's, I found it relatable. The two characters I had particular empathy for were Ami and Helen.

It was nice to read a book where the characters were slightly older that the usu
Charanya
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book - this was very different and I liked that the theme of this book was friendship with just a dash of romance. There are a lot of characters whom you have to remember and keep track of the respective stories, it might not interest people who don't like multiple POVs. But if you stick with the characters you will find yourself pleasantly surprised!

There are a lot of twists and turns and you are deliberately made to make some assumptions which are proved wrong over the c
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

It's been a while since I read a 'chick-lit' romance but I'm bored of the usual style of book I've been reading for the past few years (full of sex scenes and an alpha male hero) as they now come across as 'same old, same old', so when I saw this on Netgalley, I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did.

It was an enjoyable read and had some witty dialogue. The story is about four friends all in their early 30's who have been unsuccessful in dating and in Rosa's case, marriage. Their fr
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

TWG would like to thank the lovely Cara from HQStories for squeezing me on this tour and allowing me an ARC.

‘The Ex-Factor’, what a title! As soon as I saw the title I thought ‘uh-oh’, what could possibly go wrong!! Your best friend dating your ex, well, one of. The ex that may have been sent packing by yours truly, yet gets a chance with YOUR best friend? Totally not weird at all, waste not want not!

I may be a cynic, b
MetLineReader
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2016
A light hearted look at dating -- ever fancied your friend's ex?
Personally I've never been tempted but have been on a couple of blind dates which *shudder* were worse... Thankfully now 20+ years ago but it didn't take long for the memories to come flooding back.

Marnie and Helen have been friends since primary school and would do anything (really?!) for each other. Ani and Rosa met at Uni, and the four have been inseparable ever since.

Marnie returns from an overseas trip - she's been away for 2
Claire
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Helen, Marnie, Ani and Rosa have been friends for years.

Helen hasn't dated for two years, Ani can't seem to get past the first date, Rosa has just been dumped by her husband for a twenty year old intern and Marnie has just returned from South America. As they are all single Marnie comes up with the idea of them all setting each other up with one of their exes: Project Ex Factor.

This book is a lighthearted look at the perils and pitfalls of the dating world and the potential advantages of dating
Kat
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This was my first book by Eva Woods. I liked it a lot and found the writing and plot really captivating. I wanted to keep reading yet had to go back to real life. Marine was such an annoying character, it seemed as though she thought the world and everyone around her owed her everything. I wish we could of heard more the males and if more happened that would of been cool too.

Thanks goes to net galley and the publishers for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sophie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the fresh, original concept in The Ex Factor. Four single women – all aware, at least, that dating a friend’s ex is against all kinds of girl code – get caught up in a somewhat crazy scheme where each friend picks an ex of theirs for their chosen friend to date. What ensues is a frantic, whirlwind tale of chaos, drama, friendship, disastrous dates and maybe just a bit of romance.

Helen, Rosa and Ani are all single but at very different stages in that aspect of their lives. Helen is basic
Karima chermiti
The story revolves around a tight knit group of four female friends the one who disappeared for two years without saying goodbye Marnie, the anxious Helen, the recently divorced Rosa and the one with the miserable dating life Ani.
While meeting together and discussing their love life or the lack of it and how they are not really optimistic about the whole thing because of the miserable reality of the dating scene. So, Marnie comes with a really crazy idea that’s just chaos personification. Every
Lara
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so funny. I loved this book, couldn't put it down. Really worth reading. I got it as a gift, not something I would normally pick for myself but I really enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to everyone. ...more
Mel Garraghan-Moore
Dating a friend's ex? Hmm

An interesting concept of a story but the whole idea was always doomed to bring trouble. I couldn't really warm to any of the lead characters. But some of the but parts were likeable.
Ali Read
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fantastic, funny and fresh view on romance. Much better than I expected, the quirky characters really make this such a relatable book. Love love love.
Amy
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
A quick, fun chick lit novel.
Anne-Marie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read

Loved this book! I think Eva Woods is going to be a great author already read two of her books and adore “how to be happy”
Erika Starkey
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny, light, heart-warming!
Helen
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Slow to start but gets better
Agi
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-releases

I was desperate to read Eva Woods' story for a long time already, I have her previous novel on my kindle, patiently waiting to be eventually read, so when "The Ex Factor" whizzed its way to me I quickly started reading it. The title had me incredibly intrigued, I love anything about exes, probably because I myself don't have too many of them and am feeling a little inexperienced in that matter :) Nah, but altogether, the book had such a great vibe and I was really excited to start it.

I loved the
Alison
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I have to admit to being a bit of a sucker when it comes to books about dating. I'm obviously a romantic at heart as I love stories about internet dating, blind dates and other weird and wacky schemes to find your perfect match. It's safe to say I've read a lot of them but this one was definitely something a bit unique as rather than the usual ways to meet someone a group of four friends agree to date each other's exes. This makes for a fun and lighthearted read as the experiment has s
Susan Page
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it was unusual. Marnie and Helen have been friends since primary school, they met up with Ani and Rosa at university and all have been close friends ever since, and all are around 30. For various reasons they have all been unlucky in love. Ani, a solicitor, seems to scare men off, Rosa is married but her husband has left her for a twenty year old. They both work for a newspaper, so she sees him every day which Rosa finds very upsetting. Helen is suffering from unrequi ...more
Julie
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fast rising women’s fiction star Eva Woods has done it again! After her sensational debut published last year, The Thirty List, Eva is back with a sassy, hilarious and addictive novel you will not be able to resist – The Ex Factor!

The dating scene is a jungle full of liars, weirdos and oddballs who still have a penchant for superheroes and live with their mother – and nobody knows this better than Marnie, Helen, Rosa and Ani. The four friends have had their fair share of entangled attachments, r
Cheryl M-M
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can I just start this review off by saying that for me the real star of this book was Karl. Absolutely hands down, no contest at all. Woods had his character down to a fine art. The introvert with a sideline of extroverted geekiness.

The premise or the free-cycling your ex concept is the kind of idea you tend to read in a fashion or women’s magazine. Is it feasible? Realistically I don’t think so, because there will always be feelings of some kind attached to an ex. Handing them over to a girlfri
Celia Moontown
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started reading this during the final two days of my trip in Berlin. And I didn't stop. I was glued to my kindle and didn't really take any notice of what was going on around me. The usual sweat-faced and back-aching, return journey was a dream...

Eva Woods' (aka crime author Claire McGowan) writing is swift, twisty and enticing. Its a hilarious account of four thirty-somethings' dating life in London. It got me grinning like a loon on holiday, and even more so when my brother thought I was re
Alison
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I don’t quite know where to start with this one. A story primarily about a group of four friends and their love life or lack of possibly would be more relevant. I was intrigued by the concept of sharing an ex .. in some ways I guess it could work depending on the friendship. Anyway I digress the internet dating attracted me and I could envisage a basis for a tale.

Once I got used to the writing style and gathered who was who, it made for a very light entertaining read. There were the inevitable f
Patricia
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Circa 1996-2003 I read a lot of so called chick lit. A lot. Jill Mansell, Fiona Walker,Jenny Colgan et al should be thanking me for a considerable portion of their royalties. But at some point I became very disillusioned with the genre and suddenly was reading books with serial killers and psychos galore. No there wasn't a bad break up I just became suddenly bloodthirsty. So when I saw this on Netgalley I think my attention was caught by the title more than anything. I wasn't sure but I fancied ...more
Bev
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun story about a group of four female friends who decide to try and pair each other up with one of their exes. Naturally things don't go to plan and there are misunderstandings and fall outs along the way that keep things interesting. It's an entertaining, lighthearted read but a bit too cliched for my liking - the large girl who only starts to get noticed when she loses weight for example. The Comicon scene was embarrassingly bad , how many preconceptions and stereotypes can you fit into one ...more
Verity W
****Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****

Gave this 15 percent - but it wasn't working for me so I skipped to the end! There's nothing wrong with it, just as it turns out it wasn't for me.
Sylvia
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed this book, it was nothing special. It became better as it developed but on the whole was quite predictable and underwhelming.

• No, We Can't Be Friends
  • Who’s That Girl?
  • It’s Not Me, It’s You
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • To the Moon and Back
  • I Wish for You
  • The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)
  • Here's Looking at You
  • Bad Bridesmaid
  • Stuck On You
  • Make or Break at the Lighthouse B&B
  • After Hello (You Had Me at Hello, #1.5)
  • Rise & Shine, Benedict Stone
  • A Christmas Date (First Comes Love #3)
  • To the Stars and Back (First Comes Love #4)
  • From Thailand with Love (First Comes Love #5)
  • A Sudden Crush
  • The First Date
Eva Woods lives in London, where she writes and teaches creative writing. She likes wine, pop music, and holidays, and thinks online dating is like the worst board game ever invented.