Start by marking “More: Population, Nature, and What Women Want” as Want to Read:
More: Population, Nature, and What Women Want

More: Population, Nature, and What Women Want

In the capital of Ghana, a teenager nicknamed “Condom Sister” trolls the streets to educate other young people about contraception. Her work and her own aspirations point to a remarkable shift not only in the West African nation, where just a few decades ago women had nearly seven children on average, but around the globe. While world population continues to grow, family s ...more
Published May 8th 2008 by Island Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More

Start your review of More: Population, Nature, and What Women Want
Heather
Aug 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: women-s-issues
I was super dissapointed in this book. I'd heard the last half of an interview with the author on NPR months ago and was intrigued by his point that when women have control over their sexuality and bodies then populations naturally take on a healthy and sustainable growth rate. I thought that he was advocating for better gender relations-- increased communication and respect between husbands and wives, less domestic violence and rape, and increased support and resources for mothers and children. ...more
Joy
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Any man who writes a book with "what women want" in the title opens himself to mockery, but Engelman's conclusion is close enough to the Wife of Bath's that he can almost be forgiven it.

Taking a Malthusian view of population increase, Engelman notes that the "natural" curbs on population growth outpacing sustainability are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Famine, War, and Pestilence (Death, as Engelman notes, is just the body-collector for the other 3). However, Engelman sees a better way: g
Elizabeth
an intelligent review of human history from a woman's reproductive purview. i enjoyed his attribution of valuable human innovations to women, not men. he's got great recommendations on how to change the discourse of population discussions to avoid controversy.
Kelly Coyle DiNorcia
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a very compelling and thought-provoking look at population and the role of women's rights in achieving a sustainable number of human beings on this planet. A refreshing change from the usual gloom-and-doom overpopulation books, this one actually has some answers as to what can be done.
Amanda
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking book discussing reproductive health, women's rights, climate change, evolution.
A Reader
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
A report issued this month (August 2018) by the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) has found that almost half-a-million homes could be built on UK green belt land. The report also showed that more than 24,000 new homes were approved on greenfield sites since 2009 as part of a government move to release land for badly needed affordable housing.

With the UK population having exceeded 66.3 million and projected to increase by 3.6 million (5.5%) over the next 10 years, housing pressure will con
Clare O'Beara
This book studies our population growth and ways that women manage children. I didn't initially realise that the demography study incorporates a good look at our prehistory. There is a huge amount of concentrated knowledge in this book and I just am giving a flavour of it. I found the tone entirely respectful of women through history. I would have liked more visits to villages and individual stories to be related.

We're told that the rate of human population growth has slowed - the most astonish
Nday Nday
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A book with vital topic of recent issue and its correlation with women life. Very interesting since the beginning when the writer described marvelously about why we should care more about population growth and why women have such an important roles in making this world sustainable. Mr. Engelman make this book chronologically flow from the evolution of a human being to the manner of people toward contraception and birth-control. It's easy to be understood at first, though it's getting more and mo ...more
Pamela
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Population issues tend to be ignored in environmental discussions, as if it's somehow impolite to point that, er, over six billion people might be kinda hard on Mother Earth. "More" is a very lucid and readable discussion of population issues with a very simple message: if women are allowed to have no more children than they actually want, populations tend to reach replacement level (or close to it). Engleman's review of women's control of their own fertility covers the entire scope of human his ...more
Kristin Lee Williams
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Overall this was a bit of a bore to read. I plodded through it because a lot of the information was interesting. Still, the writing style was really boring and it was filled with all kinds of side comments that weren't really applicable. I learned a lot and I am really fascinated by the concept of fertility and fertility control as world changing and women as those with the most power over those things. Still, I think it could have been a better book if it was written by someone more interesting ...more
Maggie Hesseling
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An engrossing and interesting text regarding the issue of overpopulation. As most women I was sceptical regarding the subtitle. However, though not completely worked out the way I would have liked, Engelman does bring up some of the core issues that women still struggle with: the right to their own body, and her ability to have children (especially regarding the number of them). Though Engelman did get off point a couple times, I found the main thoughts brought forth here very interesting and we ...more
Miranda
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
I liked the environment/population/gender equity themes he explored, but it felt a little brief (probably because he's targeting a general audience). Left me curious to see the depth of his research. You can also see which direction he's coming from. Interesting to contrast his slant with Fatal Misconception (which was probably detailed to a fault for a general audience). The truth probably lies somewhere between the two. I HATED his little pop culture references - it really dumbed down the idea ...more
Xine
Oct 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I admit I was leery about a book that could tell me what women want. Women, see, are such a diverse population. Why, i don't think there's anything that women all want.

Well, Mr. Engleman respectfully proved me wrong, and he did it elegantly, with meticulous research, and he even told me what women want right there in the title.

Women want control over our entire bodies, including control over the dicisions o' how many children we will have.

Katie
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I can't remember the last time I was so fascinated by a book. A wonderful history of human population, family planning, the formation and growth of modern societies, the role of women in controlling their own fertility...the list goes on. I really enjoyed this book, and learned far more than I anticipated!
KatherineJ Barrett
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This was sent to me for review. I'm not sure I would have bought it myself, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Engelman is an engaging writer, even when writing about something potentially boring, like demographics.
Julie Ellis
Apr 25, 2010 rated it liked it
This book had a tendency to get off point, but it was an effective plea for women having control of their fertility. Not only do women have healthier, happier children, but population comes under control. It was an interesting look at these two issues - environmental and women's health.
Marvin Soroos
Engelman presents interesting perspectives on population growth and use of contraception down through the ages. His analysis of current trends and future implications in view of environmental and resource contraint is rather disappointing.
Marian
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recentlyread
Very well-researched, interesting, and easy to read.
Lars
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This is alright so far...
Cheryl
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the eco-conscious; people planning families
Recommended to Cheryl by: NPR Interview w/ the author
Fascinating stuff. The historical and analytical elements are informative and convincing, and it's very thoroughly researched. Some of the attempts at humor fall flat, but overall, worth the read.
Robert Campbell
Jun 11, 2011
Ann Nunes
Aug 12, 2014
Sudie
Nov 29, 2017
Molly
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating look at human evolution, population growth, and women's autonomy. Truly original ideas.
Erin

• Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Real Happiness, 10th Anniversary Edition: A 28-Day Program to Realize the Power of Meditation
  • Roving Mars: Spirit, Opportunity, and the Exploration of the Red Planet
  • Family History
  • Withholding Evidence (Evidence, #3)
  • Work Optional: Retire Early the Non-Penny-Pinching Way
  • Embers
  • Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • Anything for Billy