Start by marking “A Quiet Kind of Thunder” as Want to Read:

A Quiet Kind of Thunder

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,765 Ratings  ·  1,036 Reviews

Steffi doesn't talk.
Rhys can't hear.
They understand each other perfectly.
Love isn't always a lightning strike. Sometimes it's the rumbling roll of thunder...

Steffi has been a selective mute for most of her life - she's been silent for so long that she feels completely invisible. But Rhys, the new boy at school, sees her. He's deaf, and her knowledge of basic sign

Published January 12th 2017 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Quiet Kind of Thunder, please sign up.
Anna From my own personal experience of Selective Mutism, I was not disappointed at all. I thought it was portrayed respectfully and truthfully, and…moreFrom my own personal experience of Selective Mutism, I was not disappointed at all. I thought it was portrayed respectfully and truthfully, and recommend that all who know someone with SM or who have struggled with it, read this book to understand it better. (less)
Jinger Lowe Some of it is cheesy, in the way that all contemporary is, to some extent, cheesy. It is not unbelievable, however. The two characters do grow their…moreSome of it is cheesy, in the way that all contemporary is, to some extent, cheesy. It is not unbelievable, however. The two characters do grow their relationship, it’s not instant, and yes there is more than just kissing. Foreplay and sex happens in the book between the two characters. Hope this helps!(less)

C.G. Drews
This book is just SO FREAKING CUTE AND BEAUTIFUL that I just...I can't even begin to describe the dorky smile on my face right now. No seriously, I spent so much time while reading this just smiling. SMILING. It's not a complex book, it doesn't have a lot of plot, and I did feel the ending was a tiny bit rushed but -- omg it was Too Pure, Too Precious™ and my heart feels very full right now.

+ I loved how it featured both social anxiety and deafness.
Steffi has social anxiety and selective mutism,
Lala BooksandLala
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
It should go without saying that my opinion of this book should not be taken as valuable when compared to a reviewer who is deaf or has selective mutism. I genuinely hope (and as is reflected in my note to the publisher) that this ARC also got sent out to readers who can identify with these characters and give their comments on how respectful the representation feels, as my thoughts of this book are simply not as important.

I believe when it comes to writing any characters outside of your own exp
may ❀
Spontaneous buddy read with this fabulous girlie, Maram

So to start things off, I’d like to mention that you should take my rating like a grain of salt because honestly I don’t know how to rate this book.

It was GREAT, it was cute and fluffy and heartwarming and very very very informative, but at the same time, I felt that it lulled in certain moments.

description

And that was a big deal for me because I WANTED TO LOVE IT SO BADLY AND AWARD IT ALL 5 SUPER CUTE STARS but I found myself zoning out or makin
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to destiny by: Kathy - Books & Munches
Huge thank you to my sweet friend Kathy for sending me a surprise gift copy of this book! She read it and loved it so much that she wanted me to read it too, and I’m so glad that she did, because it was so beautifully diverse, and sweet, and funny, and altogether just a precious story of friendship, love, and adapting to a world that doesn’t always meet your needs.

“I want the world, I think. Even if it scares me.”

First of all, the representation in this book: fantastic. None of it feels force
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
All I need is just a little sign language. Show me that you're mine, baby. And say what you wanna say. —Dylan Gardner, Sign Language

This book is my second contemporary read (in 2017) concerning mental illness, and I am happy to say that I liked it very much. The premise itself was intriguing: a selectively mute girl forming a bond with a deaf boy. One would expect the story to implode with all kinds of infamous tropes (e.g. instalove and romanticized mental illness), but I actually found it to b
Holly Bourne
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know where to start. I'd give this book TEN stars if I could. I loved Beautiful Broken Things but I think I love this book even more. A brilliant depiction of social anxiety, a swoony subtle love story that creeps up on you, and meticulously researched, respectful and just beautifully written.

This book is not only for the quiet ones, but by JOVE how the quiet ones will adore this book.
Dannii Elle
Adorable, emotional and impactful. This features a marginalised set of characters in such a powerful, positive and informative light. This is far more than the fluffy romantic story that is appears!
Maram
Coincidental buddy read with the ever-so-lovely, мαүғℓσωεя
---------------------------------
WOW. This book is magnificent! Oh my gosh... The synopsis DID NOT display the care and attention that Sarah Barnard gave to her main + side characters. I'm surely convinced that this is some sort of a trick where the author just wants her readers to "pick it up" whenever we need a "cute fluff", so we always end up diving in with little to no expectation or at least be okay with it if it's not that good. Ri
Here are three separate but similar things: shyness, introversion and social anxiety. You can be one, two or all three of these things simultaneously. A lot of the time people think they’re all the same thing, but that’s just not true. Extroverts can be shy, introverts can be bold and a condition like anxiety can strike whatever kind of social animal you are.

Such a sweet story! It follows a girl who is selectively mute and her developing relationship with a boy who is deaf. The romance is cert
Maddie
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, favorites
After reading and loving Beautiful Broken Things (so much it made my top fifteen books of 2015 before it was even published) I was so excited with Sara Barnard's next book. Now that I've finished it, the exact same thing has happened. This is pure gold (and bronze) and I don't think anything I write now will do justify to just how beautiful this book is. But, I'm still going to try, so here are some reasons to love A Quiet Kind of Thunder!
Read more…
Social Anxiety perfectly executed!

Steffi, our
katwiththehat
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2
What a great book! Gosh, I loved these characters. Steffi and Reese just grow on you right away. I completely related to Steffi with her anxiety and her selective mutism, and the way it was portrayed. I loved the way the author contrasted how it was handled between her parents, and how this both supported and hindered her. Reese was absolutely a sweetheart. I liked the inclusion of little details like hearing speakers forgetting to turn towards the Deaf person so they could read lips, how frustr ...more
Inge
“My name is Steffi Brons and I don’t speak, let alone yell. I move slowly so people won’t notice I’m there, because running in public is as loud as a shout. I like to wear jumpers with long sleeves that go right down over my wrists and hands and fingers. Meekness is my camouflage; silence is my force field.”

A Quiet Kind of Thunder started out really strong and kind of fizzled out near the ending, but I still really enjoyed reading it. The romance was stinkingly cute and I loved the addition of
Kate (GirlReading)
4.75/5 *
With it’s Disney, Les Miserables and Harry Potter references, diverse cast of characters, wonderful anxiety representation and yes, there was even a dog, A Quiet Kind of Thunder has everything I love and long for in a book. It had a perfect balance between the cute and fluffy, with it’s adorable, fun romance, whilst also discussing mental illness in a brilliantly real and honest way. Whether you’re living with anxiety yourself, know someone who is or simply want an insight into what it’s
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
*4,5/5 stars*

I think I died from the utter adorableness of this perfect book! Not only is it super cute and fun, but it's also intelligently written, quietly educational and very important and impactful book that everyone should read.

“They’re sprawled on the floor and chairs, talking loudly and easily, as naturally as breathing. Do they know how lucky they are? I catch myself wondering. Do they? Of course not. It’s probably the same thing someone with cystic fibrosis thinks about me. I guess t
brekkersbutt
3.5

This is definitely one of the cutest books I've read this year!

“Here are three separate but similar things: shyness, introversion and social anxiety. You can have one, two or all three of these things simultaneously. A lot of the time people thing they're all the same thing, but that's just not true. Extroverts can be shy, introverts can be bold, and a condition like anxiety can strike whatever kind of social animal you are."

I feel like the author has done some respectable research on selecti
Ammara Abid
Okay Okay Ok.
I'm torn between 2 & 3 stars.
I really like first 80 pages. Unique idea, interesting plot. A story with the girl having selective mutism and a deaf boy, but the more I read it the less I like it.
After first few chapters the same, repititive YA stuff started,
Friendship,
Bla
Blaaaa
So nothing new. -_-
Puck
An adorable contemporary romance, with sweet characters and great accurate representation of anxiety and being deaf.

“Lots of people are shy. Shy is normal. A bit of anxiety is normal. Throw the two together, add some brain-signal error - a NO ENTRY sign on the neural highway from my brain to my mouth perhaps, though no one really knows - and you have me.”

This book is the story of Steffi and Rhys, two teenagers who both find it hard to live in the normal world. Steffi has selective mutism com
Marianne (Instagram - longmayweread) W
5 heart-warming stars

Oh boy. This book. This book and its characters. This book and its contents.
Diversity cast! Mature teenagers! No-romanticized anxiety disorders! Sexual positivity! Healthy relationships! Importance of friendship! No cheatings! No slut-shaming! Not overly fluffy and cheesy, just tender and important and heart-warming!
I loved this book to pieces. And keep in mind that I do not tend to like, nor love, contemporaries. But this book truly warmed my heart.
#BackstoryTime: I suffe
Emer
This is the cutest book that I've read since my beloved Lara Jean To All the Boys I've Loved Before series by Jenny Han! I legit squealed a bunch of times while reading this as it was SO FREAKING CUTE!!!!! It was exactly the kind of cutesy, awkward teen romance that I'm a sucker for. Like okay... I know I was letting myself in for a hella amount of emotional manipulation from the get go because this is about a selective mute girl with anxiety who falls in love with a deaf boy..... Like it's got ...more
jessica
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
there are two very important things you will learn when you read this book:

1) you dont to be able to hear in order to listen, and
2) just because you cant speak doesnt mean you dont have a voice.

there was just so much to love about this book, but i think those two points were the most special, the most meaningful. and i love how they were expressed in a YA novel. its so important for people of all ages to realise these types of lessons, but even more so for teenagers who are at the stage in life
Dana
I suppose that I should have known going into this that a book about a mute girl would have a lot of internal dialogue, but wow.

I mean, again it makes sense but I found it to be a bit grating at times. Especially a mute girl with anxiety issues and yeah....lots of verbal diarrhea. I suppose it was realistic, but it would have been nice if it was trimmed a bit. Still... in all fairness the premise of a romance between a girl with selective mutism and a deaf boy was very intriguing.

I always like
Julie Zantopoulos
I'd like to preface this review by stating that I am not a part of the deaf community or living with the same mental health issues that the characters in this book do. As such, I cannot speak to the representation in the book, but it is my belief that it was handled fantastically. Again, that's from my scope and should never outweigh those in the communities represented.

That said, this book was beautiful, truly and wonderfully written. This book follows Steffi who is a selective mute with sever
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya
Too cute for words! Everything a contemporary romance should be.

(Sidenote: I did find Steffi's anxiety pretty triggering for my own. Whenever we got too into her head, it felt like a reflection of my own thoughts, which is great for the anxiety representation because it's hella accurate, but I suffered a lot of second-hand anxiety when reading. I wouldn't let this put you off reading, though, just take breaks if it gets too real. x)
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

3.5 stars rated up!

*Disclaimer: I was provided an ARC of A Quiet Kind Of Thunder by Sara Barnard through NetGalley and Macmillan Children’s Books in exchange for an honest review. This does not influence my opinion in any way.

A Quiet Kind Of Thunder was the contemporary that I needed right now. I wanted something light and fun and fast-paced, but most of all, I wanted something new and diverse. A Quiet Kind Of Thunder achieved all of these things.

What I Liked

A new perspective. I don’t think I
Nadia Awadi
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character's name in this book is *drum roll please*: Rhys .

RHYS!!!!!

You know Rhysand from ACOTAR. My ultimate fictional boyfriend/husband Rhys. I'm adding a star for that reason alone.
description

Now into the nitty-gritty , I didn't know how to rate this book. I did rate it but it was hard.

I really wanted to love this book since it deals with mental illness and being deaf. But I think the story felt like a carrot cake with melted delicious choclate on the inside. *My metaphors are just a work o
Emily Mead
AHHH OMG.

This book is amazing. For example:

1) Tons of accuracy about anxiety- really really loved this portrayal
2) An AMAZING and supportive female friendship between Steffi and Tem #friendshipgoals
3) A cute romance where Steffi and Rhys actually communicated and worked on their issues as a couple
4) Learning more about the Deaf community, sign language and communicating in general
5) Great representation of parents who are flawed but so realistic

Can't wait to review this one on the 26th!
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Steffi is selective mute and has been since a child... but that is about to change... she hopes!! This is the year where she's trying to break out of the hold her anxiety has on her actions. If she doesn't then her parents may just decide no university for her! Amidst this she meets Rhys. Deaf, they communicate through her rusty sign language. With her silent voice and his expert listening skills they become friends in their own little world, as
⊱ Poppy ⊰
OmgOmgOmgOmgOmgOmgOmgOmg!!

I GOT APPROVED, I GOT APPROVED!!

Can't wait to read it. YASSSSSS, So happy.

Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
4.5

This book is so wonderful!

It’s cute and adorable but also tackles some big things such as deafness, grief, severe anxiety etc. And it’s just so amazing tbh

I enjoyed this so much more than I thought it would!

I absolutely adore these characters
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
Read this review @ my blog Wonderless Reviews

** I'm participating in a Blog Tour hosted by Pan Macmillan and received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own **

Trigger warnings: anxious thoughts, panic attacks

If you've been following my blog for a while then you know I always say I tend to stay away from YA romantic-contemporary because it's just not usually my thing. When I was asked if I wanted to review A Quiet Kind of Thunder I was hesitant, but s

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
“Panic attacks are a lot like being drunk in some ways, you lose self-control. You cry for seemingly no reason. You deal with the hangover long into the next day.” 27 likes

23 likes