Start by marking “King Flashypants and the Evil Emperor (King Flashypants, #1)” as Want to Read:
King Flashypants and the Evil Emperor (King Flashypants, #1)

King Flashypants and the Evil Emperor

(King Flashypants #1)

The first in a fun new series - 'Brilliantly original and hilarious ... it's nearly as good as one of my books' David Walliams.

'One for fans of Horrid Henry and Tom Gates' The Guardian

Edwin isn't an ordinary boy. He is a king, with a throne, and his own suit of armour and a castle with secret passages and everything.

Every Friday, King Edwin spends all his money on

Published July 14th 2016 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about King Flashypants and the Evil Emperor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Flashypants and the Evil Emperor

Start your review of King Flashypants and the Evil Emperor (King Flashypants, #1)
Astrid Langeveld
Andy Riley is geboren in 1970 te Aylesbury. Momenteel woont hij in Londen. Hij heeft al heel veel grappige dingen geschreven, zowel voor de televisie als voor films. Hij won er zelfs prijzen voor: BAFTA's en een Emmy. Voor de televisie werkte Andy mee aan het scenario voor Oma Boef, De jongen in de jurk en Robbie het Rendier, allemaal van David Walliams. Hij heeft meegeschreven aan films als Gnomeo and Juliet en The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists. Andy houdt heel erg van cowboyhoeden ...more
Susan
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recently, I have seen this book everywhere – on television, in newspaper reviews and on kids websites – so obviously Hodder Children’s Books feel they have something worth pushing and I was keen to read this with my daughter and see whether it was worth all the hype. Author Andy Riley is an Emmy and Bafta -award winning scripwriter, who has written cartoon books and comic
strips, before turning his attention to children’s books.

At around 200 pages, with loads of black and white illustrations,
Marie the Librarian
This was funny but it fell a bit flat at times. However I know some kids LOVE it, Im just not in the target group :P
Caroline Hanssen
I got a copy of this book from the publisher in Norwegian, and the following review is posted in Norwegian!

Jeg fikk tilsendt denne boka fra Egmont, for å gi en ærlig anmeldelse av boka. Tusen takk!

Jeg ble lovet at denne boka skulle være morsom, men jeg kan ikke si at jeg syntes den var det. Humoren er bok mer tilrettelagt den yngre garden, og kan virke veldig barnslig hvis den blir lest av litt eldre barn.
Derimot er bildene nydelige og morsomme, viser karaktertrekk til de forskjellige veldig
Anniken Haga
Review in Norwegian as I read it in Norwegian

Jeg fikk denne boka i posten fra forlaget. Jeg leser ikke mye barnebøker, men noen ganger er de greie, ettersom de er så lettleste.

Denne boka var et unntak, samtidig som den ikke var det. Den var lettlest nok, da jeg leste hele ila en time, samtidig som den var litt tung. Det var nemlig en hel del frem og tilbake story—messig som virket unødvendig.

Noe av det er derimot greit, da det gav en moral.
Emma Radford
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 5 and 7yos thought this VERY funny! Lots and lots of giggles!!
Monique
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, childrens
Foe Hoe Hoe Hoe, wat een leuk boek!
Cristina Borghesi
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recensione completa: http://leggereinsilenzio.blogspot.it/...

« Leggere Il Re Bambino e l'Imperato Cattivo è stato come tornare bambina, riscoprendo quelle genuine sensazioni di meraviglia che un po' vanno perdute con il sopraggiungere dell'età adulta. Un racconto ironico e divertente, pungente e sprezzante che fa di un umorismo diretto e sorprendente la sua arma migliore ( inoffensiva, s'intende! ); presentandosi fin dalle primissime battute con uno stile linguistico fresco ed irriverente,
Maiko Lenting-Lu
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you need a laugh LOOK NO FURTHER! The answer to your ailment comes in the form of a boy-king, his fancy, fancy crown and his wonderful sidekicks/employees.

King Flashypants is a read-in-one-go-and-then-read-again-right-away book. I know I did.

Also, now I know the real reason I've never come across a bottomless pit. I mean, how long would it take to dig one of those...
Fran Soto
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son read most of this, not I, but I enjoyed the tale. We particularly enjoyed the song that goes 'stick your toes up your nose' and regularly sing this to one another at bedtime.
I received my copy from Goodreads.
Erik Fazekas
Jan 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-books, p
DNF at page 100. This is sooo boring and funny at all.
Kianne
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uważajcie, bo Podły Imperator tylko czeka, by przejąć władzę w Waszym królestwie!

9-letni Edwin uwielbia być królem. Uwielbia swoją koronę, bez której nie byłby królem, a przede wszystkim uwielbia czekoladę i uwielbia rozpieszczać swoich poddanych. Pewnego dnia z królewskiego skarbca znikają wszystkie monety, a poddani podejrzewając, że ich szczodry król przestał ich kochać, zaczynają być coraz bardziej smutni. Okrutny Urwison, władca sąsiedniego królestwa, wykorzystując okazję, by wkroczyć na
Barbara
Nine-year-old Edwin is a compassionate and generous ruler, but he's not very good with money. When he overspends the kingdom's coffers on chocolate for his subjects, the evil Emperor Nurbison seizes the opportunity to take over the kingdom by fomenting rebellion among the peasants and frightening them with a dragon. The dragon is actually a cow disguised with candles and various articles of clothing, but frightened folks don't look closely when they are scared. Edwin, his right-hand woman, ...more
Raegan   Ralls
-Disclaimer: I won this book for free through goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.-

This book is supposed to be funny
but I didn't think it was at all. Example,
it talks of sticking toes in your nose,
itchy bums (which ends up being a
somewhat major part of the story)
& to me just stupid things I most
definitely would not let my kid
read.

The pictures go well with the book
and the plot keeps moving making it
easy for kids to be entertained, I
however was not but that is just
Carolienvanderwaarde
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dit is zoveel beter en grappiger dan boeken van David Walliams, is althans mijn persoonlijke mening . Koning Eddie komt in de problemen als hij al zijn geld heeft uitgegeven aan chocola voor de inwoners van Eddieland. Dat is het moment waarop de kwade Keizer Nurbizoon gewacht heeft. De boeren uit Eddieland komen in opstand en Keizer Nurbizoon neemt listig het kasteel van Eddie in. Gelukkig weten Koning Eddie, minister Jill en Nanda de Nar te ontsnappen. Droge humor, goede vertaling van Edward vd ...more
Mehsi
Dit was echt een superleuk boek, ik ben blij dat ik hem heb geleend uit de bibliotheek. Het enige jammere, en ook vaak de reden waarom ik niet boeken lees die vertaald zijn naar het Nederlands, is de vertaling. Er waren wat dingen die niet lekker klonken, namen die je gewoon had kunnen laten staan.
Maar verder lag ik dubbel, koning Edwin (sorry, ik noem hem bij zijn Engelse naam) was een goede koning, een dappere, hij heeft alleen nog veel te leren over het beheren van geld (arme Jill).
De
Eve Marie
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I read this to a six-year-old boy and he loved it. It was fun for me to read as well, which is great as otherwise story-time can be a pain.

A funny book with wacky pictures, silly character names and even music at the back to learn the evil Emperor's striding theme.

A fantastic book for kids just getting into reading; I've been recommending it to other parents.

Britt Suits
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Edwin on üheksa-aastane poiss, kes juhtumisi on ka Edwinimaa kuningriigi valitseja. Esimeses raamatus tuleb tal tegemist kurja keisri Nurbinsoniga.

See oli minu jaoks selline „Möh“ raamat. Midagi hullu polnud, aga uusi osasid pole küll vaja oodata ega lugeda.
K.
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I buddy read this book with my son. It was so funny and adorable. We've already picked up book two and can't wait to get into it. We loved King Edwin and the fact that he learned a great lesson at the end of the book.
Kelly
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With Andy Riley's humor, this is such a fun book. King Edwin is a boy king who loves his subjects, and they him. But the Evil Emperor is out to steal his kingdom.

Lots of deadpan humor in this story, and the accompanying illustrations just add to the fun. Read it. Trust me.
Irem Sunar-Ozat
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great and fun book for its age group. Easy to read. Nice twist at the end which makes you want to read the second book more.
Margaret McCulloch-Keeble
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I wasn't going to add this as I thought of it initially as another jolly kids' book. I have to say though it was a bit sillier than I thought it would be which made me giggle more than I expected.
Nadine
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and funny book about a young king with a passion for chocolate. Good chapter book for beginning readers.
Chris Harvey
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good book, made my 4 year old laugh in many places and had some jokes I even chuckled to. It's a bit like Monty Python for kids. Will be reading the next in the series!
Gail
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun series to read with the 7 year old, we both laughed out loud and found ourselves reapeating lines.
FOO HOO HOO HOO!!!!!!
Ösp
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bráðskemmtileg mikið myndskreytt barnabók um Edwin, hinn níu ára gamla konung í Edwinlandi.
Michelle
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun reading aloud with my grandson!
Breakaway Reviewers
Bonkers and utterly brilliant!

I read "King Flashypants and the Evil Emperor" to my 6-year-old daughter. She absolutely loved it, laughed out loud often and chanted "read the book, read the book" whenever I took a break to make a few notes. So much so that this review will be more about feelings than a description of the narrative. Have I mentioned I loved it too? Well I did, in fact I got quite as excited as my little one.

The plentiful jokes for adults in the form of witty asides and the
Helen French
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Katy Noyes
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Unashamedly child-focused - the plot feels just perfectly as if taken from a primary classroom, it's aimed beautifully at the age group.

A young King, Edwin, spends all his pocket money each week on chocolate for his peasants, who love him for it, but who also start feeling hard done by when the Royal pocket finds itself empty... Will the evil Emperor Nurbison in the kingdom next door (who has his own striding theme - included) be able to use this to his advantage an taken over Edwin's realm?

It's
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Snow Lane
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 1
  • There Is No Dragon In This Story
  • Kleider machen Leute
  • Ghoulia / Mortina
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 4: Attack of the Zittens
  • Die Wilden Hühner: Fuchsalarm (Die Wilden Hühner, #3)
  • Die Wilden Hühner auf Klassenfahrt (Die Wilden Hühner, #2)
  • Die Wilden Hühner und das Glück der Erde (Die Wilden Hühner, #4)
  • Die Wilden Hühner und die Liebe (Die Wilden Hühner, #5)
  • Die Wilden Hühner (Die Wilden Hühner, #1)
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 3: The Furball Strikes Back
  • Wir ziehen ein (Familie Flickenteppich, #1)
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 2: Mission Unpluckable
  • Talte dager
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 8: Superbad
  • Penguinaut!
  • Foxy Tales: the Cunning Plan
Andy Riley is a cartoonist and scriptwriter from Britain.
He drew a weekly strip cartoon for The Observer Magazine called Roasted, which is also collected in hardback edition. So far his books have sold around one and a half million copies and have been published in eighteen countries, producing calendar, greetings card and poster spin-offs. Lucky Heather is his self-published mini-comic.
His comedy

King Flashypants (5 books)
  • King Flashypants and the Creature From Crong (King Flashypants, #2)
  • King Flashypants and the Toys of Terror