Start by marking “Love, Bill: Finding My Father through Letters from World War II” as Want to Read:
Love, Bill: Finding My Father through Letters from World War II

Read Book

Love, Bill: Finding My Father through Letters from World War II

“The 'Greatest Generation' meets 'Love Letters' meets 'Yentl.'”

Published May 29th 2016 by Dog Ear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Love, Bill, please sign up.
Jan Krulick-Belin I am so glad that my book has inspired you to "reconnect" with your father. I would love to know what happens on your journey. Send me an update or le…moreI am so glad that my book has inspired you to "reconnect" with your father. I would love to know what happens on your journey. Send me an update or let me know your name and contact information. Bon Voyage!
Jan (less)
Jan Krulick-Belin Hi Beth,
Hi Beth,
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I have been on vacation. Anyway, I think you can just contact one of the librarians on line to help you add the review. Since I have not yet reviewed another book, I have yet to figure out the process myself. You can also post a review on Amazon. That one seems more clear cut.
Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks, Jan(less)

Start your review of Love, Bill: Finding My Father through Letters from World War II
Story Circle Book Reviews
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
In the spring of 1960, five-year old Jan Krulick's father was sneaking from their house in Bell Park Gardens, in Queens, New York. Little Jan stopped him, claiming a hug. "Daddy is sick and has to go to the hospital for a little while," Bill Krulick said.

That was the last time Jan saw her father. After a painful fight with cancer, Bill died. Consistent with that era's mores, his children were not allowed to visit him in the hospital or attend his funeral.

If this were Dickens, little Jan would ha
Olivia
{3.5 stars}

What a journey! I feel like I've experienced the whole search with Jan, from the moment her father died, to reading the letters years later, to reading into the romantic heart of her father during WW2, to finding the connections to the photographs he took, and lastly the letter Jan wrote to her father.

What I liked:
-The writing and story flowed like a fiction book, although it is non-fiction. That I applaud greatly! The author has certainly received her father's writing style :)
-The le
Martha Brindley
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing and well written story which left me feeling quite emotional. I am so pleased to have had the opportunity to read this book and I would definitely recommend it to history lovers. So much to learn about World War 2 from this book. Thank you Net Galley for my copy.
Jan Krulick-Belin
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Reviewed by Mamta Madhavan for Readers' Favorite

"Love, Bill: Finding My Father through Letters from World War II" by Jan Krulick-Belin is a collection of heartrending and poignant memories the author has of her father, Bill, which she shares with readers through this book. The author’s love for her father is evident through her words, and she speaks of how she tried to keep him alive after his death so that he would not slip away completely from their memories. The author’s collection of get-wel
Tamsin Wolff
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The English author Alan Bennett stated, “The best moments in reading are when you come across something – a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things – which you had thought special and particular to you.” Jan has crafted an intriguing way of bringing the reader on a very emotional journey with her as she pieces together the story of her father’s life from her early childhood memories and his own words left as clues in love letters written to her mother. The book expands a collection of wha ...more
Katrina Shawver
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jan Krulick-Belin combines a daughter's search for her father, with an exhaustive retracing of her father's path through WWII, and solves some family mysteries her mother refused to disclosed to the daughter. The author takes the reader along as she follows this path from Phoenix to Paris, Morocco, and New York City. The book includes resources for anyone wishing to research military records. Like the art historian she is, the author has curated a story culled from her personal life, included a ...more
Rachel Anne
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic and heartwarming story! I enjoyed the author's warm writing-style and I felt like I was right there on the emotional journey with her. I also learned many facts that I did not know before about World War II, specifically I had no idea there were battles going on in North Africa! This book is going on my book wishlist for sure.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the Dog Ear Publishing for accepting my request to read this book.
Billy
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bio-s
What an excellent, heartfelt novel about recreating her father's life and how, ultimately he was always with her, just in terms of hereditarily passing on his legacy! I loved it!
Elizabeth Vasquez
rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2019
Phi Beta Kappa Authors
Jan Krulick-Belin
ΦBK, SUNY at Binghamton, 1975
Author

From the publisher: Long before she became a museum curator, Jan Krulick-Belin curated memories… photographs and mementos of her father, who died when she was just six. Her mother rarely spoke about him again, until a year before her own death, when she gave Jan a box of nearly one hundred love letters he had written her during World War II. What follows is the true story of the author’s emotional and life-changing pilgrimage of the heart to f
Nancy Morris
Chris
Carol
Brenna

• The Murder House
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Noble House (Asian Saga, #5)
  • The Return of the Native
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Night of January 16th
  • Shōgun
  • The Cellist of Sarajevo
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • The Night Circus
Jan Krulick-Belin is a museum and art consultant, and art and jewelry historian with nearly forty years of experience at such institutions as the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Denver Art Museum, Beaumont (Texas) Art Museum, and Smithsonian Institution. Retired as Director of Education at the Phoenix Art Museum, she still works with museums, art organizations, and private collectors, and serves as guest ...more