Start by marking “We Are Proud to Present a Presentation about the Herero of Namibia, Formerly Known as Southwest Africa, from the German Südwestafrika, between the Years 1884–1915” as Want to Read:

We Are Proud to Present... received its world premiere in April 2012 at Victory Gardens Theater in Chicago, Illinois, directed by Eric Ting, Chay Yew artistic director, Jan Kallish, executive director, and had its New York premiere at Soho Rep., Sarah Benson, artistic director, Cynthia Flowers, executive director. We Are Proud to Present... was developed at Magic Theatre's ...more
Published 2014 by Dramatic Publishing Company

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Proud to Present a Presentation about the Herero of Namibia, Formerly Known as Southwest Africa, from the German Südwestafrika, between the Years 1884–1915

Rachel Pollock
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Read this play because we're about to produce it at work. Really thought-provoking and i'll be interested to see how it translates from page to stage.
Emmanuel
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly engaging play following 6 actors who want to put on a play - or presentation more accurately - about the genocide of the African Herero tribe by the Germans in the early 20th century. The stage directions were unlike any I've ever seen, the intercutting of dialogue was brilliant, the characters were well-distinguished despite being given very similar names.

But as engaging as it was, I didn't think it succeeded all that much, that the 6 actors succeeded that is, in bringing to life the
KJ
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
do you ever just get hit so hard with a piece of art that you just can't move
Charlie
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly clever and challenging play. I hope to see it performed someday.
Megan Reilly
LOVED this - can't wait to design it this fall!
Zeba Clarke
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clever, deliberately uncomfortable and thoughtful exploration of race, colonialism and theatre.
Caroline Donnelly
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very powerful piece, but like with most theater, looses something on the page. I recommend gathering friends to read it out loud or better yet find it performed near you!
Francis Bass
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. This play is really engaging, overflowing with hilarious and painfully realistic actor-actor conflicts, big questions, and difficult arguments about how to tell stories, and how to present the history of a people who were almost entirely wiped out. Also, the stage directions are full of personality and make it a great read
Christine
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A play every historian should read.
Cary S
Shelves: favorites
Masterful.
Daniel
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, creative, topical, incendiary play about representing the past and grappling with race and theater. Is it dangerous or a moral obligation to tell the stories of those whose records have been lost to time? Can we perform 'the other' in theater without bringing ourselves to a part? Can a group freaking collaborate?
Rebecca
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has made me stop in my tracks and think for days now. It is surprising, innovative and intensely real. Thank you to Jack Scaletta for recommending that I read it.
Hannah