Jump to ratings and reviews

By Chance

While burying herself into her editing job, Samantha Cline struggles to come to terms with the fact that her love life is dormant… and has been for quite some time. Every sickly sweet love story she has to edit continuously reminds her of how impractical romance is. Aside from her loyal group of friends who have their own relationship drama, she settles for companionship of the canine variety with her best bud, Chance.

In truth, there’s only one man who has ever turned Sam’s head, though she’d never admit it aloud. She remembers watching him train horses on her dad’s farm as a teenager, and no other man has ever measured up. Now that he’s been living next door to her for a few years, she can’t help but wish he’d glance her way and show some sort of recognition.

Sam is finally pushed over the edge when her dog runs off, forcing her to reassess her lot in life and what it would take to heal her heart in his absence. Then, one stormy night, her very sexy neighbor shows up on her doorstep, stealing her breath away with his presence. After a rather awkward encounter, Sam can’t help but wonder if she’ll lose her chance for good.

Note: This contemporary romance companion novella is a spin off in the Playing Games series, contains adult situations meant for ages 18+, and stands alone for your reading enjoyment.

Kindle Edition

Published July 12, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Rene Folsom

69 books403 followers
GET A FREE BOOK >> www.renefolsom.com/newsletter

Rene Folsom, author of contemporary and paranormal, lives in Florida with her husband and three kids. She has officially diagnosed herself with creative ADD and often has a million and one writing projects going at once. In addition to writing, she is also a graphic artist who enjoys creating custom book covers for indie authors. She is definitely an artist at heart and would love nothing more than to be elbow deep in clay during her waking hours.

Rene believes that all fiction is based on some form of reality—otherwise we would never have the inspiration or knowledge to dream up the realistic situations we portray with our words. She is proud to say that her personal experiences have been inspirational, though perhaps not always identical to that of her fictional characters. Where reality and fantasy diverge, however, must remain her little secret…

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (27%)
1 star
1 (9%)
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for Novel Grounds.
1,518 reviews71 followers
February 18, 2020
A quick and fun read that gave me an hour to escape life and just enjoy Rene’s great writing. A spinoff from the Playing Games Series, this novella follows Samantha and the aftermath of her missing pup.

From the moment I started reading Sam’s story I knew it was going to be fun. I wanted that happy ending without all of the chaos a full novel brings. Not that I don’t want a full novel, because I do. This was a fun read that gives you a glimpse into all of the characters in this series. If you haven’t read the Playing Games series by Rene Folsom, you will want to now!

Second chance love. Ish. You will see. It is a fun story about a past crush becoming a present possibility. Don’t miss it.
Profile Image for Michael Loring.
Author 15 books40 followers
February 6, 2020
Once again Author Rene Folsom brings the heat with this spin-off of what has to be my favorite series by her, Playing Games.

It's extremely fun to read a story about a fellow bookworm, and Sam was a fantastic character to follow. The writing flowed so smoothly I had a hard time putting this down to sleep. I was eager to get back to this well-written, well-developed story. Rene has done it again, as cliche as that sounds. Nothing is more fitting than it, though.

I will always be a fan, and I cannot wait to get my hands on another piece of her work ASAP!
November 3, 2017
Very good well written and thought out

Choose this rating as book was a bit different like the author have read a few of her books Great
Profile Image for Patti K.
Author 1 book65 followers
July 12, 2016
I've loved the Playing Games series, so I was excited to read a story about Maci's editor, Sam. Rene, as always, did not disappoint. Each time I read one of her novellas, I'm impressed at how well she fleshes out characters and makes me want more of them. This was no exception. I'm itching for more of Sam and Cal, whose story is a fun little twist on the idea of 'second chances'. Add the adorable puppy to the mix, and I was sold. Lest you worry that this story feels incomplete, don't; as with all of this author's novellas, you will get a story without a cliffhanger (I can't promise you that about her longer books!) But don't be surprised if, like me, you wish you could have extra of the sexy Cal and the awkward Sam. Now, if I could just convince her to write full novels for all the secondary characters in Playing Games...
Profile Image for Charlotte Skibicki.
114 reviews1 follower
July 10, 2016
LOVED this novella You do not need to have read the Playing Games series (though I highly recommend you do so, as it’s a great series) to read this novella. Would love for Sam and Cal to have their own full length novel
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.