Start by marking “The Losing Game” as Want to Read:
The Losing Game

The Losing Game

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Winchester Crown Court, October 2035: Richard Shaw leaves, a free man.

Grief-stricken and angry, Lucas Green is hell-bent on revenge against Richard Shaw, who killed his sister. Lucas has heard of a man who can help—the handsome and urbane owner of a boutique sex shop with a head for planning crimes. But Dante Okoro has a past he’s desperate to keep buried. Though Lucas piq
Published August 8th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Losing Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Losing Game

Lane Swift
Jul 09, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: own-work
Quick and small disclaimer to anyone interested in reading this:

On Dreamspinner's website The Losing Game is listed as BDSM as well as Mystery/Suspense. The BDSM is more of a vibe than a major part of the story, as one of the MCs owns a sex shop, and he has clients with a wide variety of tastes. There's no BDSM between the MCs, and I don't want to mislead anyone hoping for/anticipating that.
Karen Wellsbury
I have very complicated feelings over this book.
On one hand I enjoyed the story, and the female characters were strong and believable, I want to be like Avery when I'm older ! The structure of the book I loved, and the honesty.
But..the melancholy, it actually affected my mood- which as Fra has suggested is a reflection on the strength of the writing.

So I'm going to mull over this, and say - full review to folllow
Tiferet
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been present when this book was born, and had the honour of designing the cover. I love this story with all my heart, with its beautiful, complicated, flawed characters, and all those scenes that will break your heart, and the ones that will make you chuckle, and the ones that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Dee
First and foremost, I picked this book up based on the tags, mystery/suspense, BDSM. Readers be warned there’s no BDSM between the main characters. Dante owns a sex shop and caters to his customers needs but even his business is very much back-story. So unlike me, do not go into this story expecting BDSM. There are two sex scenes, between the main characters, which are as tame as they are brief.

With that out of the way, the central plot to this story is Lucas wanting to extract revenge against t
Pia
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have a thing for dark books. Stories that aren’t afraid to go into difficult places with characters, with events. That show moral complexity instead of being didactic, that don’t shy away from the shadows, so that the light moments seem to shine all the brighter. The Losing Game was definitely one of those books for me.

Don’t get me wrong, do you want a light-hearted read? Maybe come back to this one later. This book as a strong ambience of grief, and the character goes through many different
Joyfully Jay
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kirsty
A Joyfully Jay review.

There is undoubtedly an overwhelming atmosphere of melancholy in Lane Swift’s The Losing Game. However, this is necessary for the reader to truly understand why Lucas, who has a mundane job in the HR department of a finance company, would be driven to such drastic and uncharacteristic measures to exact his revenge. To counteract this sense of desperation, the relationship between Dante and Lucas offers hope, both to the men themselves and to the reader. As The Los
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

While this atmospheric drama set in the near future really wasn’t for me, I can appreciate the intensity of the personal conflict and the depth of character development in this story. Fans of Scandi Noir or complicated BBC miniseries will enjoy the moody, fragmented plot and the question that keeps both Dante and Lucas awake - should Lucas kill the man who killed his sister and evaded a prison sentence?

Dante and Lucas are both
Melissa Mendoza
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Before Dante could escape, Lucas curled his hand around the back of Dante's neck and kissed him. His mouth still tasted of the wine and his tongue moved possessively against Dante's. As kisses went, it was another breath-stealer."

3.5 stars!!

Lucas and reeling from the death of his sister and he's ready to seek revenge against the man who did it. He's heard of a man who can help him, he owns a sex shop and he's a criminal planner. Dante is ready to move on with his life, he's over his criminal p
Pianka *call me PIU*
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
I went in this story for some action, retribution and of course passion. But apart from the retribution part, there was nothing else in the book. The start is written very nicely and has a promise for more to come but unfortunately the story did not deliver what it promises. There was non-existing romance and no chemistry between the leads. The story was more about a man’s struggle with his sorrow over his sister’s death rather than a romance.

The MCs Lucas and Dante actually get together after a
Suze
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: Won from DSP on JJ
I won this book in a bundle from DSP last year. Whilst I generally liked it, I was hoping to have enjoyed it more.
Per the blurb, this is set in 2035 but other than this and a couple of references to 2020 being in the past there is little to fix this as in the future. I would have liked to see more differences to now.
I also like to know where a story is set (perhaps this is why I don’t get on with alt universe stories) and whilst this points to southern England we did have harbor/neighbor rather
The Novel Approach Reviews
I have some good feelings about The Losing Game, so I want to start with what I enjoyed about this book. I liked that Lane Swift established an emotional connection between reader and story from the outset, which made it easy to empathize with its protagonist, Lucas Green. Grief is a powerful emotion, presenting in myriad ways and causing people to act and react in ways that would otherwise be completely foreign to who they’ve ever been before. Add anger to that grief, and it becomes a volatile ...more
Ryane
This book was provided by Signal Boost Promotions and read on behalf of Thorns & Ink.

This is one of those books that have requires a bit of thought as to what and how I want to review it. The characters where amazing. I really like the development. I also like that the characters were older. Early 30s for Lucas and early 40s for Dante if I were to guess. Dante was very fascinating as a leading man; he fits the bill perfectly as described. Tall, dark, and handsome. Tones of mysteriousness and
Ana
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: trr
THE LOSING GAME is an interesting book; it had some nicely made characters and a great story. There was a feeling of grief throughout the story, but there was also some hope in it.

Lucas is seeking revenge against the man who killed her sister. But he can't do it on his own. He thinks Dante Okoro is the right person to help him with his plan, but Dante is not sure if he wants to get involved. When sudden events put them together, Dante wonders if he took the right decision.

The plot was great, a
Diverse
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: august-2016
3.5 Stars

The Losing Game is the first time I’ve read Lane Swift. Always interesting and a little scary to read a new author. The synopsis and cover of this book were intriguing and it immediately pulled me in. I wanted to read this exciting story.

From the prologue we get a good idea about Dante and the skills he has along with one of his daughters. I instantly was on board with the whole thing. I was so eager to see where it was going.

When we are introduced to Lucas he’s a shattered man hell-b
Jenn
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 – 4 Stars
The Losing Game was a very different read for me, but it was one that I enjoyed. There are a lot of layers to story, there’s mystery and revenge and yes romance too. The characters are deep and I found myself attached them right from the start.

Lucas Green is a man still struggling with the loss of his sister, who was a victim of a hit and run where the driver got off easy. The pain of losing her is a big part of his life and he wants revenge. A conversation with a friend points him
Jaymie
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, bayoubookjunkie, m-m
*** Copy provided by Dreamspinner Press to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review. ***

Lucas Green has lost his family, his sister murdered by Richard Shaw. Now the only thing he wants is revenge. When a friend gives him the card of a man who can possibly help him it gives him hope. Dante Okoro owns a sophisticated boutique sex shop but has a knack for planning intricate pranks and faux crimes as a sort of game. While he finds Lucas intriguing there is no way that he'll help t
Steph ☀️
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-book-reviews
I have to say the moment I read the blurb I was very interested. I mean, who wouldn't like a story that involves a killer, retribution and wrong decisions; right?!? Unfortunately, this book did not do it for me. I honestly should have given up finishing the book, but I felt the need to see it through. There were several reasons why I stuck it out, and here they are:

First, the opening to the book is written really well. The way she writes the break-in scene caught my attention, and gave me hope a
Carra
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
The Losing Game is one of those stories where I'm not quite sure what I think about it now that I'm done. It does have a heavy dose of suspense, and the story focuses primarily on the aspect of Lucas stalking Shaw as he waits for his chance at revenge while Dante tries to keep up with him to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. At times the pace felt a bit slow for me, but I was still able to finish this story pretty quickly.

As far as the romance between Lucas and Dante goes, I didn't really
Stephanie  Mae
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book involves Lucas Green, he wants to make the man, Richard Shaw, pay for killing his sister. The justice system has failed him, and he decides to take matters into his own hands. For that he will need help, a friend send him to Dante Okoro, a one time bad guy who runs a sex shop now.
Dante has been trying to keep his past in the past. So he turns Lucas away but he's not sure he did the right thing.
When a death brings the two of them back together they have no choice but to notice the chemi
Kirsty Bicknell
Bucletina
Jul 17, 2016
Beryll Brackhaus
Jun 29, 2017
Lane Swift writes contemporary love stories with diverse queer characters in the starring roles. She sometimes combines the romance with mystery, suspense or paranormal, and always gives her heroes and heroines their hard-earned happy ending.

Lane lives in Hampshire, on the south coast of England. When she’s not writing or spending time with her family, she can often be found running on the local r