Start by marking “Blood and Sand (Blood and Sand, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood and Sand (Blood and Sand, #1)

Blood and Sand

(Blood and Sand #1)

Forged in battle...
From the dust of the arena...
A legend will rise

The action-packed tale of a 17-year-old warrior princess and a handsome gladiator who dared take on the Roman Republic—and gave rise to the legend of Spartacus...

Roma Victrix. The Republic of Rome is on a relentless march to create an empire―an empire built on the backs of the conquered, brought back to
Published January 16th 2018 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Sand, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Wendy That is my thinking too - he has to be alive! When does the next book come out?…moreThat is my thinking too - he has to be alive! When does the next book come out? (less)

Start your review of Blood and Sand (Blood and Sand, #1)
Warda
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AND THE AWARD FOR THE BIGGEST SURPRISE READ OF THE YEAR (so far) GOES TO....

*cue cliched drumroll*

BLOOD AND SAND BY C. V. WYK!

Why is this not more hyped?! It needs to be on everyone's TBR pile!

Give me that damn sequel already!

Now, that I got my fangirling out of the way, let me actually try and review this.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this so much. It came as a complete surprise to me and when I read the synopsis, I wasn't sure whether it was going to be my kinda thing.

Well, it
jessica
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
how in the world has this book been overlooked for so long?! i am shocked that this hasnt received more attention because it has everything.

with unyielding action, enemies to lovers romance, historical influences, atmospheric writing, relevant themes, and compelling characters, this story is a whirlwind of adventure and human connection.

and how could i fail to mention that spartacus is a woman?! this a wonderfully reimagined telling of an ancient tale, with a heroine who is always unapologetic
megs_bookrack
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UNDERRATED BOOK ALERT!!

Seriously, seriously underrated.

This one took me by surprise.
A gender-flipped retelling of Spartacus?!

When Attia, a warrior princess who has lost all of her people to slaughter by the Romans, finds herself handed over as a gift to a champion gladiator, all she can think of is escape.

Escape and revenge.

Trained from a young age to fight in hand-to-hand combat, Attia is a force to be reckoned with from the very first pages.

This girl is a badass and not afraid to show it.
C.G. Drews
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh wow this was definitely an explosion of bloody sand and people shouting, "SPARTACUS" and waving swords around. Epic, my man, epic. I actually really like this gender-bending of historical books (like And I Darken!) and I wish for 501 more of them (like someone please make Alexander the Great a woman yessss) and this was so much fun! And also frikkin' devastating. Just in case you thought were all here to have a good time.

We are here to have our fEELS ATTACKED TOO. Dammit.

(Also the author's
Alyssa
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
4.5 stars. There is a specific reason why this book isn't getting 5 stars from me. I LOVED the story. It was fantastic and I adored the two protagonists.

But.

Now I'm sad.

I'VE CHANGED MY RATING TO 5 STARS DON'T HATE MEEEEEE. After sleeping on it, I feel like that part of the ending isn't going to stick. Aaaaaand there is a sequel so that's a good sign. I'm just hoping and crossing my fingers!!!!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Blood and Sand by C.V. Wyk
Book One of an untitled
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
5 wild stars

For the wandering and the wild, the new heroes gazing fearlessly into the dark.

For the young ones rising.

For two days I was nose stuck in a book.
I simply did not want to blog or follow my social feed or...shoking for a blogger I know!

I just had to follow Attia and Xanthus journey. Was this book the best written book in history? No. It is undoubtedly well wrtitten but more important: it was calling to my heart.

I used to read many historical fictions as a teen from
She could see the anger etched into his soul as permanently as the scars on his skin. She didn’t fault him for it. She had been raised by violent, ruthless men. She had been trained to be one of them, to lead them. If anything, she was more like the gladiators than the rest of the slaves.

This was exactly what I needed after the sequel to The Valiant left me so disappointed. This is what I wanted. Brutal, bloody and action-packed! I found myself thrilled throughout the fight scenes. I
Mogsy (MMOGC)
2 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/01/16/...

Well, that was, unfortunately, not as good as it could have been. Though, if you’re simply hankering for a standard Young Adult novel with a flavor of Ancient Rome, I’m sure this book will serve its purpose. I just wish it hadn’t been so…hokey.

What do I mean by that? You could feel the intrusive force of the author’s hand, nudging her characters through to the desired storyline every step of the way. None of it felt
Chelsea
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is possibly one of the most underhyped books of the year. It deserves so much more attention. As a female reimagining of Spartacus, Attis is ruthless and savage. This book does a fantastic job of not sugar-coating how brutal this time period was. I wish there was a little more character development for some of the side characters just to help me keep them straight. And a map! I would have loved a map! But in general I highly recommend this, one fiercest female protagonists I’ve read in a ...more
Nadhira Satria
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
3.5 STARS

It was good. but not that good. but still good. but ok I guess.
But because I haven't read a good historical fiction these days, I'll just round it up to 4 stars

What I liked

1.Historical Accuracy
It's honestly so rare to find a YA historical fiction that is actually HISTORICAL. I mean this book is so historically accurate and just... wow.

2.Attia
just bravo. yas. you go girl

3.Xanthus, Albinus, Iduma, Lebuin, and Castor
The banter of these cute little gladiator puppies and the
Chelsies Crazy4Books
This female reimagining of Spartacus was simply fantastic. I dont think Ive ever read a historical romance, but what an incredible book to start with and a debut at that. Her people massacred and taken from her home Attia is purchased by a Roman as a giftfor his gladiator, the Champion of Rome, but more than likely he is using her as a means of controlling him. While keeping her identity as the warrior princess of Thrace a secret, Attia plots her revenge on the people who have taken everything ...more
melissafandomworld
so... this book just completely GUTTED me and I'M SO NOT OKAY.. *keeps her ugly cry going*
---
That said:
This is one of the best reads of 2018 to me so far.
What an amazing adventure. What a thrilling reading experience.
Once started, I just couldn't stop reading - like I even wanted to *snort*. I loved the Spartacus elements, the Pompei elements - I've been intrigued with Pompei and it's terrible history ever since I was a young girl so coming across Pompei stuff; that alone is worth the 5 stars,
lucie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english, 2018
“I’ll come back for you,” he said.
“I’ll wait.”

This book doesn't get enough attention! It's action packed, brutal, bloody and there are gladiators! Who doesn't like gladiators?
Attia is kick-ass princess who is taken from Thrace and sold as a slave, given as a trophy to Xanthus. Xanthus is the best gladiator of Rome driven by his revenge.

description

My thoughts:
- The writing was really good and the story was easy to follow. I could see the scenes quite vivid in my head and this is always a good sign.
- I
Beth
All of the stars!

”Then keep your eyes on me, champion. And we’ll face the shadows together”

I’m just going to say there’s a lot of Trigger Warning: Violence, Abuse, Suicidal Thoughts, Rape

This was such an unexpected book, I got this in my illumicrate box, and read the premise of the book just drew me in. It was whispering to me, Beth Beth… you loved An Ember in the Ashes, and you also liked Rebel of the Sands you’ll like me as well! You know what? The whispers were true! I loved this sooooooo
Justine
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
This was a compelling read, with fantastic characters and a terrific slow-burn romance. Attia is written unapologetically strong, both physically and emotionally. Xanthus is gentle and kind, despite the continued horror he experiences with his own role as Champion of Rome.

The secondary characters, such as Sabina, Lucretia, Rory, and the other gladiators were all equally interesting and added so much to my enjoyment of the story. And really, as far as I'm concerned, great characters and the
Allison
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

sdjks;dasdnjaksd was waiting on this one for ages and was planning on doing a live-tweet of it but read it in one sitting instead. Oh well.

After The Valiant let me down, I was looking forward to another lady gladiator novel and oh boy yes just as tragic as you can imagine.
Cori Reed
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gem of a novel! I thoroughly enjoyed this story of a female Spartacus. Attia was a complete badass while not falling into the "I am too injured and hard to love anyone and anything" trope I so disdain. A badass girl! With feelings! Huzzah!

Not only that, but Xanthus, the gladiator who so easily could have been written as domineering and awful, is kind, gentle, and doesn't try to make Attia anything she isn't. Again, huzzah!

This book hasn't received a lot of buzz, but I definitely
Lainey
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh, I'm sad because this is so up my alley--female spartacus! ancient rome! gladiators!--but everything just fell flat. It never really took off, I was never hooked, and while the set-up to what would be the romance was handled really well (given the main boy mc was given the main girl character as a gift) the romance went from zero to sixty rather quickly. I don't know. I'm sad and I hate that I'm rating it a two.
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

Any and all books about Ancient Rome will automatically be on my radar, and this was no different. In a genderbent retelling of Spartacus, we follow Attia, once princess of Thrace, after she, and her people, have been enslaved by Rome. She is given to Xanthus, the champion of Rome, and once of the greatest gladiators the empire has ever seen. Attia has her own training, and will not just submit to the might
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
Trigger warnings for physical abuse, sexual abuse, and suicidal thoughts.

I seem to be having a particularly good reading streak. I can't remember the last time I read this many 4-5 star books in a row. AndBlood and Sand is right up there with them, a damn near perfect book in my eyes.

I have not watched the TV showSpartacus, nor did I know much about the historical figure, before I started reading this. I was simply entranced by "warrior princess," "gladiator," and "rebellion" in the blurb.
Jaime Arkin
I loved this book- I devoured the show Spartacus so when I read this summary that said 'what if Spartacus was a girl...' I knew I was going to need to read it immediately even though it's not out until 2018.

GET THIS ON YOUR TBR NOW!

The characters, the story, the writing... all perfection!

Full review to come!
UPDATED FULL REVIEW:

This was probably my favorite read this year.

I knew when I read the summary of this that I wasn’t going to be able to hold out reading it for long and I’m so glad I
Ashley
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating is 4.5 stars.

This was GLORIOUS! It exceeded my expectations. The last gladiator book I read was The Valiant and I was massively disappointed by it. But Blood and Sand is everything I hoped The Valiant would be! In short: if you like the TV show Spartacus I have no doubt you'll love this book. There's violence, politics, revenge, sexual abuse, and romance.

Attia was a total badass too. I loved how she could really fight, and she proved it (she wasn't all talk!). I loved her "I give
Lisa
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love books written in the times of the Roman Empires, however, as I was telling a couple friends the other day, it would have been a pretty terrifying time to live in. This was a good story, and I understand the fact that since it's YA, it has to be toned down because let's face it, if you were not Roman, life was violent and brutal, for both men and women. I really enjoyed this and I'm definitely going to be reading the next. Author did such a good job with the people in the story, they were ...more
Just Josie

GUYS, GUYS, GUYS!!

Why is this book not more hyped?

It has GLADIATORS! And a warrior PRINCESS!
It’s just the coolest combination! #canwegetbook2please

Gladiators, slaves, Ancient Rome, compelling and strong characters and the most fascinating plot!

I absolute loved this beautiful story. I have always been quite fascinated with Rome and it’s history, and even though the author took some liberties in regards to the story, I found it so enchanting.

Attia, warrior princess of Thrace loses
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
This is so gooooood! So underappreciated too. It brought back my fond memories for Roman-inspired series like The Winner’s Curse (also SO underappreciated imo.)

This book is a quick, addictive read and I fell in love with the cast of characters (especially the women! They were all so cool) and I’m 100% invested in the sequel. There’s so many interesting ways it could go.

I listened to it on audiobook and I have to say I absolutely loved the narrator. Her voice was so pleasant and she was so
Lisa (littlemeadowreads)
*4.5
I loved the story. The characters where very likeable. Attia is a stromg female without being annoying or arrogant. I loved reading about her. Her relationship with Xanthus was very precious and tender. It was refreshing after reading many romance heavy plots. The world was very interesting to read about and fitted with my view of ancient Rome. I really liked the writing style. It had a nice rhythm to it. I give it 4.5 stars because the ending was too fast and I didn’t appreciate everything
Atlas
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s, 2018-release
She wanted to run and run until her breath was spent, until the ashes of her bones mingled with those of her people

* *
2 / 5

In answer to the age-old gladiatorial question: "are you not entertained?", the answer is "only a little bit". I have a fondness for books set in Ancient Rome - The Eagle of the Ninth, for example, or virtually anything by Simon Scarrow - and Blood and Sand promised not only the tale of a gladiator who strives for freedom, Xanthus, but also that of a warrior princess of
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Brilliant! Bloody, beautiful, romantic and tragic.

*Review to Come*
Carlos
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what I needed to get back to the enjoyment of reading , a good historical fiction book with a perfect and very important historical background (I mean Spartacus times) , what if Spartacus was a woman , for all we know he could have been one , Spartacus is a historical character enveloped in mystery, this is a good and well written approach to that story .
mith
you can read this review and others over on my blog!
---
Oh my god.

Oh my gooooood.

I’ve been waiting for this novel since I found out it would exist and I am so, so ecstatic to say that this book did not disappoint. Not one single bit. On the contrary--Blood and Sand exceeded every single expectation I had for it. And when you’re anticipating a book for months, yeah that means something.

My only complaint is that the book is too damn short. At only 320 pages according to goodreads, Blood and Sand

• Beyond a Darkened Shore
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • The Defiant (The Valiant, #2)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Sweet Black Waves (Sweet Black Waves #1)
  • The Triumphant (The Valiant, #3)
  • Empress of All Seasons
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Light Years (Light Years, #1)
  • The Smoke Thieves (The Smoke Thieves, #1)
  • Pacifica
  • The Bird and the Blade
  • Bring Me Their Hearts (Bring Me Their Hearts, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
C.V. Wyk is the author of BLOOD AND SAND, debuting from Tor Teen in winter 2018. Born and raised in Los Angeles, CA, Wyk now resides on the east coast along with a precocious mini poodle and demanding guinea pig.

In her not-so-spare time, she enjoys playing MMORPGs, kayaking, coding, hiking, staring listlessly at blank walls, and nursing a totally healthy coffee addiction.

Find Wyk online at

Blood and Sand (2 books)
  • Fire and Ash (Blood and Sand, #2)
“I’ll come back for you,” he said.
“I’ll wait.”
2 likes
“If Attia got through the day without murdering someone, she would consider it a good day. Or she might just be sorely disappointed.” 0 likes