Start by marking “Blood and Sand” as Want to Read:
Blood and Sand

Blood and Sand (Blood and Sand #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  846 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
FORGED IN BATTLE...
FROM THE DUST OF THE ARENA...
A LEGEND WILL RISE

The action-packed tale of a 17-year-old warrior princess and a handsome gladiator who dared take on the Roman Republic―and gave rise to the legend of Spartacus...

For teens who love strong female protagonists in their fantasy and historical fiction, Blood and Sand is a stirring, yet poignant tale of two slave
Published January 16th 2018 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Sand, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Frank
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mary Foxe Yes. This is the first in the series.

Warda
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AND THE AWARD FOR THE BIGGEST SURPRISE READ OF THE YEAR (so far) GOES TO....

*cue cliched, boring-ass drumroll*

BLOOD AND SAND BY C. V. WYK! 😍

Why is this not more hyped?! It needs to be on everyone's TBR pile!

Give me that damn sequel already!

Now, that I got my fangirling out of the way, let me actually try and review this.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this so much. It came as a complete surprise to me and when I read the synopsis, I wasn't sure whether it was going to be my kinda thing
C.G. Drews
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh wow this was definitely an explosion of bloody sand and people shouting, "SPARTACUS" and waving swords around. Epic, my man, epic. I actually really like this gender-bending of historical books (like And I Darken!) and I wish for 501 more of them (like someone please make Alexander the Great a woman yessss) and this was so much fun! And also frikkin' devastating. Just in case you thought were all here to have a good time.

We are here to have our fEELS ATTACKED TOO. Dammit.

(Also the author's
Alyssa
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
4.5 stars. There is a specific reason why this book isn't getting 5 stars from me. 💔😭 I LOVED the story. It was fantastic and I adored the two protagonists.

But.

Now I'm sad.

I'VE CHANGED MY RATING TO 5 STARS DON'T HATE MEEEEEE. After sleeping on it, I feel like that part of the ending isn't going to stick. Aaaaaand there is a sequel so that's a good sign. I'm just hoping and crossing my fingers!!!!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Blood and Sand by C.V. Wyk
Book One of an untitled ser
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
5 wild stars

For the wandering and the wild, the new heroes gazing fearlessly into the dark.

For the young ones rising.

For two days I was nose stuck in a book.
I simply did not want to blog or follow my social feed or...shoking for a blogger I know!

I just had to follow Attia and Xanthus journey. Was this book the best written book in history? No. It is undoubtedly well wrtitten but more important: it was calling to my heart.

I used to read many historical fictions as a teen from prehistory
She could see the anger etched into his soul as permanently as the scars on his skin. She didn’t fault him for it. She had been raised by violent, ruthless men. She had been trained to be one of them, to lead them. If anything, she was more like the gladiators than the rest of the slaves.

This was exactly what I needed after the sequel to The Valiant left me so disappointed. This is what I wanted. Brutal, bloody and action-packed! I found myself thrilled throughout the fight scenes. I genuinel
Mogsy (MMOGC)
2 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/01/16/...

Well, that was, unfortunately, not as good as it could have been. Though, if you’re simply hankering for a standard Young Adult novel with a flavor of Ancient Rome, I’m sure this book will serve its purpose. I just wish it hadn’t been so…hokey.

What do I mean by that? You could feel the intrusive force of the author’s hand, nudging her characters through to the desired storyline every step of the way. None of it felt organi
Chelsea
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is possibly one of the most underhyped books of the year. It deserves so much more attention. As a female reimagining of Spartacus, Attis is ruthless and savage. This book does a fantastic job of not sugar-coating how brutal this time period was. I wish there was a little more character development for some of the side characters just to help me keep them straight. And a map! I would have loved a map! But in general I highly recommend this, one fiercest female protagonists I’ve read in a lo ...more
Nadhira Satria
3.5 STARS

It was good. but not that good. but still good. but ok I guess.
But because I haven't read a good historical fiction these days, I'll just round it up to 4 stars

What I liked

1.Historical Accuracy
It's honestly so rare to find a YA historical fiction that is actually HISTORICAL. I mean this book is so historically accurate and just... wow.

2.Attia
just bravo. yas. you go girl

3.Xanthus, Albinus, Iduma, Lebuin, and Castor
The banter of these cute little gladiator puppies and the frien
lucie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, in-english
“I’ll come back for you,” he said.
“I’ll wait.”

This book doesn't get enough attention! It's action packed, brutal, bloody and there are gladiators! Who doesn't like gladiators?
Attia is kick-ass princess who is taken from Thrace and sold as a slave, given as a trophy to Xanthus. Xanthus is the best gladiator of Rome driven by his revenge.

description

My thoughts:
- The writing was really good and the story was easy to follow. I could see the scenes quite vivid in my head and this is always a good sign.
- I
Crazy4Books
This female reimagining of Spartacus was simply fantastic. I dont think Ive ever read a historical romance, but what an incredible book to start with and a debut at that. Her people massacred and taken from her home Attia is purchased by a Roman as a gift for his gladiator, the Champion of Rome, but more than likely he is using her as a means of controlling him. While keeping her identity as the warrior princess of Thrace a secret, Attia plots her revenge on the people who have taken everything ...more
Beth
All of the stars!

”Then keep your eyes on me, champion. And we’ll face the shadows together”

I’m just going to say there’s a lot of Trigger Warning: Violence, Abuse, Suicidal Thoughts, Rape

This was such an unexpected book, I got this in my illumicrate box, and read the premise of the book just drew me in. It was whispering to me, Beth Beth… you loved An Ember in the Ashes, and you also liked Rebel of the Sands you’ll like me as well! You know what? The whispers were true! I loved this sooooooo muc
Justine
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
This was a compelling read, with fantastic characters and a terrific slow-burn romance. Attia is written unapologetically strong, both physically and emotionally. Xanthus is gentle and kind, despite the continued horror he experiences with his own role as Champion of Rome.

The secondary characters, such as Sabina, Lucretia, Rory, and the other gladiators were all equally interesting and added so much to my enjoyment of the story. And really, as far as I'm concerned, great characters and the anci
Allison
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

sdjks;dasdnjaksd was waiting on this one for ages and was planning on doing a live-tweet of it but read it in one sitting instead. Oh well.

After The Valiant let me down, I was looking forward to another lady gladiator novel and oh boy yes just as tragic as you can imagine.
Cori Reed
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gem of a novel! I thoroughly enjoyed this story of a female Spartacus. Attia was a complete badass while not falling into the "I am too injured and hard to love anyone and anything" trope I so disdain. A badass girl! With feelings! Huzzah!

Not only that, but Xanthus, the gladiator who so easily could have been written as domineering and awful, is kind, gentle, and doesn't try to make Attia anything she isn't. Again, huzzah!

This book hasn't received a lot of buzz, but I definitely recom
Lainey
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh, I'm sad because this is so up my alley--female spartacus! ancient rome! gladiators!--but everything just fell flat. It never really took off, I was never hooked, and while the set-up to what would be the romance was handled really well (given the main boy mc was given the main girl character as a gift) the romance went from zero to sixty rather quickly. I don't know. I'm sad and I hate that I'm rating it a two.
melissasbookworld
so... this book just completely GUTTED me and I'M SO NOT OKAY.. *keeps her ugly cry going*
---
That said:
This is one of the best reads of 2018 to me so far.
What an amazing adventure. What a thrilling reading experience.
Once started, I just couldn't stop reading - like I even wanted to *snort*. I loved the Spartacus elements, the Pompei elements - I've been intrigued with Pompei and it's terrible history ever since I was a young girl so coming across Pompei stuff; that alone is worth the 5 stars,
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
Trigger warnings for physical abuse, sexual abuse, and suicidal thoughts.

I seem to be having a particularly good reading streak. I can't remember the last time I read this many 4-5 star books in a row. And Blood and Sand is right up there with them, a damn near perfect book in my eyes.

I have not watched the TV show Spartacus, nor did I know much about the historical figure, before I started reading this. I was simply entranced by "warrior princess," "gladiator," and "rebellion" in the blurb. Lit
Jaime Arkin
I loved this book- I devoured the show Spartacus so when I read this summary that said 'what if Spartacus was a girl...' I knew I was going to need to read it immediately even though it's not out until 2018.

GET THIS ON YOUR TBR NOW!

The characters, the story, the writing... all perfection!

Full review to come!
UPDATED FULL REVIEW:

This was probably my favorite read this year.

I knew when I read the summary of this that I wasn’t going to be able to hold out reading it for long and I’m so glad I di
Ashley
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating is 4.5 stars.

This was GLORIOUS! It exceeded my expectations. The last gladiator book I read was The Valiant and I was massively disappointed by it. But Blood and Sand is everything I hoped The Valiant would be! In short: if you like the TV show Spartacus I have no doubt you'll love this book. There's violence, politics, revenge, sexual abuse, and romance.

Attia was a total badass too. I loved how she could really fight, and she proved it (she wasn't all talk!). I loved her "I give z
Lisa
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love books written in the times of the Roman Empires, however, as I was telling a couple friends the other day, it would have been a pretty terrifying time to live in. This was a good story, and I understand the fact that since it's YA, it has to be toned down because let's face it, if you were not Roman, life was violent and brutal, for both men and women. I really enjoyed this and I'm definitely going to be reading the next. Author did such a good job with the people in the story, they were ...more
Lisa (littlemeadowreads)
*4.5
I loved the story. The characters where very likeable. Attia is a stromg female without being annoying or arrogant. I loved reading about her. Her relationship with Xanthus was very precious and tender. It was refreshing after reading many romance heavy plots. The world was very interesting to read about and fitted with my view of ancient Rome. I really liked the writing style. It had a nice rhythm to it. I give it 4.5 stars because the ending was too fast and I didn’t appreciate everything
Diana Prince
RTC! Safe to say that I liked it and would recommend it. Bit of a quick finish, and without the deep emotion I was expecting, but overall a solid 3.5 stars.
Atlas
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-release, arc-s
She wanted to run and run until her breath was spent, until the ashes of her bones mingled with those of her people

* *
2 / 5

In answer to the age-old gladiatorial question: "are you not entertained?", the answer is "only a little bit". I have a fondness for books set in Ancient Rome - The Eagle of the Ninth, for example, or virtually anything by Simon Scarrow - and Blood and Sand promised not only the tale of a gladiator who strives for freedom, Xanthus, but also that of a warrior princess of Th
Bright Star
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh well, Blood and Sand was really a good book! The historical part was very accurate and well written, so if you love Roman history you'll find yourself satisfied. The characters were incredible and I adored them all (Xanthus, my cinnamon roll ❤). We also had a lot of action, fights and combats, so you'll never be bored while reading it! Only two things left me uncertain: the first was the romance, the bond between Attia and Xanthus was too fast. I would have preferred a slow-burn relationship. ...more
Carlos
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what I needed to get back to the enjoyment of reading , a good historical fiction book with a perfect and very important historical background (I mean Spartacus times) , what if Spartacus was a woman , for all we know he could have been one , Spartacus is a historical character enveloped in mystery, this is a good and well written approach to that story .
mith
you can read this review and others over on my blog!
---
Oh my god.

Oh my gooooood.

I’ve been waiting for this novel since I found out it would exist and I am so, so ecstatic to say that this book did not disappoint. Not one single bit. On the contrary--Blood and Sand exceeded every single expectation I had for it. And when you’re anticipating a book for months, yeah that means something.

My only complaint is that the book is too damn short. At only 320 pages according to goodreads, Blood and Sand
Rebekah
HOLY COW.... For some reason I thought this book came out in May! I wouldn't had a review for this ages ago if I had known! I LOOOOOOOOVED IT! And I'm DYING to get my hands on book 2!!!

Loved everything about this story! It almost has my favorite troupe with a hate-to-love but not really, it's only like one sided.

I love the strong female character in this and she is totally BADA$$! The gender bending in this was super fun and I liked it a lot. Spartacus as a female? COOL!

I loved the historical
Megan
3.5 stars.

This was... not what I expected at all? And maybe it was my fault for having different expectations, but when you hear 'female Spartacus retelling', you kind of expect... well, a female Spartacus retelling.

Instead, we get the story of Attia, who starts the novel off by throwing some admittedly-kick ass moves at her new Roman owner before being captured and taken to the home of Timeus, said Roman owner. She's basically purchased to be a sex slave to Xanthus, Timeus' champion gladiator a
Rendz
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot recall a moment during my read where I was waning and teetering on the edge of boredom. That didn’t exist for me. It had me engaged from page one and by the end I was rendered breathless.
I loved how the author let us into the history of Rome without bombarding us with facts. She just slides in the details, like the kingdoms and peoples the Romans massacred, the structure and layouts of the markets and palaces. The politics was one of the more trickier things to follow, but the author pr
C.V. Wyk is the author of BLOOD AND SAND, debuting from Tor Teen in winter 2018. Born and raised in Los Angeles, CA, Wyk now resides on the east coast along with a precocious mini poodle and demanding guinea pig.

In her not-so-spare time, she enjoys playing MMORPGs, kayaking, coding, hiking, staring listlessly at blank walls, and nursing a totally healthy coffee addiction.

Find Wyk online at www.c
More about C.V. Wyk

Blood and Sand (2 books)
  • Fire and Ash (Blood and Sand #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
“If Attia got through the day without murdering someone, she would consider it a good day. Or she might just be sorely disappointed.” 0 likes
“I’ll come back for you,” he said.
“I’ll wait.”