Start by marking “How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good” as Want to Read:

Struggling to find new readers? Learn how a compelling synopsis can make your book fly off the digital shelves!

Do you hate writing blurbs? Do you wish there was an easier way to summarize your novel and get more sales in the process? Author and copywriter Bryan Cohens book descriptions have hit both the Kindle Stores Top 50 and the USA Today Bestseller list. Let him show

Published July 9th 2016 by Bryan Cohen

To ask other readers questions about How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis

Start your review of How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good
Susan May
Shelves: 2016
This book is a must read for authors wanting to sharpen their synopsis. I thought I was pretty good at writing blurbs, which I find pretty difficult like all authors. Bryan Cohen certainly gives you some great tips. Bravo, Brian. I also love his Sell More Books show. My go to show for indie author and publishing news. I listen every week, without fail.
Lola
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
So I have this weird fascination with book marketing, so when an author in an author facebook group that I am part of recommended this book I just had to pick it up. It sounded informative and I thought it might come in handy when giving advice to other authors. I wasn't quite sure what to expect of this book as I read very little non-fiction (I am trying to change that), but I really enjoyed it and found it very informative.

How the Write a Sizzling Synopsis delivers exactly what the title
Bernard Jan
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We all know how to write a book but we suck at writing a capturing blurb! Either it is too long or too boring to hook our readers. Writing a sizzling synopsis is possible if we follow a few simple rules and use the tools to get online book browsers click our Buy button every single day. This book is a gold mine! Dig in!

I thank Derek Doepker for recommending it to me and I extend this recommendation to everyone.
C.J. Darlington
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-how-to
Who would think a subject that's seemingly short could fill an entire book with little wasted words? Cohen did a great job tackling this oftentimes sticky subject for authors. He boils it down so even those who hate synopsis writing can approach the task with more confidence and less trepidation. Includes many model synopsis' at the end that I thought would be boring but actually were interesting to read. Pick this up if your definition of the word "synopsis" is synonymous to "colonoscopy".
Suzannah
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Extremely helpful. I wouldn't call it a one-stop guide to synopsis writing, but it's a great beginning and will definitely help take a lot of the mystery and also PAIN out of blurb-writing.

Also see the information in Brian Meeks' Mastering Amazon Ads.
Kate M. Colby
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-publishing
A great guide for taking the heart of your story and condensing it down into an emotionally charged and attention-grabbing synopsis. While the majority of the book focuses on purely the synopsis part of your book description, there is one chapter that discusses taglines, calls-to-action, etc. Overall, this is a quick and easy read (written in the humor Bryan's podcast listeners will enjoy), with helpful exercises that will help you craft your synopsis as you move through the book. Highly ...more
Siobhan Davis
Most Indie Authors I know say they are terrible at writing blurbs and absolutely dread that part of the process, and I'm no exception. I've tried outsourcing it in the past but it doesn't work so it's something I need to master so that I can overcome this "mental block" I have every time I'm getting ready to release something new.

I searched for a good book on blurb-writing previously and was surprised to find there weren't that many options that fit what I was looking for so I was delighted when
Adam Collings
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Writing a synopsis is hard. As you start reading this book and doing the exercises, you'll realise it's even harder still, but as you keep going, things start to fall into place. After all, you've got one of the best, Bryan Cohen, cheering you on.

This is a skill that will take plenty of practice to master, but Bryan Cohen gives a step-by-step guide on how to proceed.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom with us Bryan.
Justin
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin with this beyond helpful book? Well for one I wish I had bought it sooner. Perhaps I thought it wouldn't be worth it or it would be too wordy but forget all that because this book was dynamite and then some! Each chapter was simple, clear and precise in telling you how you should craft your book description and write a sizzling synopsis. I could probably ramble on for five paragraphs about this book but I'll keep it to this. Bryan Cohen's How to Write A sizzling Synopsis is ...more
Harley Christensen
Shelves: writing
Ready to convert that fizzled book synopsis into a sizzling book sale?

I know. Ive been there.

Youve written a great book. Youve got a crazy cool cover. You want to hit Publish but that little voice tells you Not so fast, my chickadee, youre not doneyet.

Yup, you still need to write your book description.

You sigh as the fear and loathing build After a period of procrastination, desperation kicks in and yousettle. Sure, your tagline is short and snappy but when you hit that dreaded synopsis, youre
Laura Martone
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a novelist who's yet to publish her first novel, I admit to being a wee bit nervous about the marketing side of writing. Like many authors, I find it less daunting to write a 100,000-word novel (or even a 300,000-word one) than to write a three-paragraph synopsis about said novel. But, with Bryan's wonderful, easy-to-digest, and, at times, amusing how-to guide about writing a killer synopsis, I feel a lot less overwhelmed than I did before. In addition to Bryan's clear explanations and ...more
John Lawchamp (YouTube)
This one was disappointing. I can see how a beginner would probably find this helpful, but I just couldn't handle the idea that everything you need to know is proved on page 76. There are 7 steps.
1) Introduce the main character
2) Establish the beginning stakes for the character
3) Escalate the tension for the character
4) Repeat 1-3 for any other main characters that you want to add in the synopsis. For example, in a romance you would have the male and female, or whatever roles you choose.
Linda Fausnet
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This book is worth far more than I paid for it. The author provides clear, step-by-step instructions on how to write an effective description for your book. He not only tells you WHAT to do, he includes a clear and concise explanation of WHY you should do it. I took notes while reading this book, and I jotted something important down from nearly every page. I loved this book because it contained specific advice, as opposed to vague assertions liked "your synopsis needs to evoke emotion in a
Nancy Cupp
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was well written and easy to understand. It is a helpful how-to book on a difficult task. I've used the information on my own books and it helped me move from a mundane to eye-catching synopsis. Clearly, this task requires much practice and Bryan's book is a good place to start.
Angela Ford
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sell more books

At the end of the day, I want to take away every barrier that keeps readers from buying my books. Having an emotionally compelling book blurb is key. This books empowers me with the tools I need to create a synopsis that sells more books. Highly recommended.
Rob Durham
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ill bump my rating from 4 stars to 5 as soon as someone tells me Ive nailed my blurb. ...more
Jeremy Flagg
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for those Polishing Touches

Bryan does it again. Concise and to the point. Was a quick read I've gone through several times already! I highly recommend for any author struggling with writing back blurbs!
Sacha Black
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for authors teaching them how to write a better synopsis. Nice and short in length so easily digestible. Some great tips, as well as fab summaries and some exercises at the end of each chapter.
Jay Storey
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
An essential book for anyone wanting to improve their book synopses or description. It points out the importance of descriptions in selling books, presents a method for writing a great description, and includes a number of examples of book good and bad descriptions.
Kristin Spencer
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Informative, relatable, and immensely helpful.
Rob. C.
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read non-fiction, but I follow Bryan online and I heard him speaking at a few webinars, so I was curious to read something he wrote. Surprisingly, I read it all in one sitting and didn't feel like skipping chapters to get to the end.
This is a quick, straight to the point guide that will tell you how to make that dreaded synopsis shine so that it attracts more readers and fans. There are a few exercises he recommends doing while you're reading it, so that by the time you've
Lyle Nicholson
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I do not believe I have read a better book on this subject. Cohen gives line by line instructions on the art of writing a synopsis which many authors, myself included, have disregarded at our own peril.

This little book is really a course. Do the exercises, read it out loud and see what if you have come close to producing something that a ready will want to buy. If it sounds clunky, well, there you have it, you need to work on it. He even offers a free Facebook group of other authors who will
Monique
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An informative, very helpful tool for writers. And it was only a buck.
I got and understood most of what the author was saying, and I'd like to think that my brain was already geared for and applying his synopsis-writing rules. Then again, I really don't know shit.
Will be referencing this lil' gem a lot. lol
D.G. Kaye
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Short Little Book that Packs a Punch!

This book isn't very long, but it's succinct at explaining, with good examples, on how to write what many authors tend to struggle with, the blurb, for back cover of paperback and Amazon ebook descriptions.

Cohen simplifies the process for us using his own experience of being a copywriter. But blurb writing is not copywriting as he informs us. There's a basic formula for extracting the best parts of a book for the synopsis, and it works no matter the genre
Peter
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some reviewers have been critical of this text because they say it's about writing a blurb as opposed to a synopsis. I think they are splitting hairs.

I bought this book because I want to sell more of my books. I'm not 100% certain that I'll achieve that goal but the ideas the author has outlined are definitely worth trying. What I am certain of is that I won't sell fewer copies by changing my descriptions, so there is no downside but the possibility of strong upside. I'll take those odds every
D.A. Henneman
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource for writers looking to self-publish their books who need help with the back matter, or what I think of as a blurb. For those who are looking to draft a synopsis for a more traditional path, this book may not help you too much, since the focus is entirely on selling or marketing your book. However, the tips on the things to focus on within your manuscript can still help sell it to an agent or editor as well.

Both a blurb and synopsis are meant to be a very condensed
Mike
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short and to the point, and helpful. I've rewritten three of my synopses on Amazon Kindle as a result of reading this, and they're much sharper and stronger, I feel.
Cohen makes a number of good suggestions during the course of his book, and anyone trying to write a decent synopsis and one that grabs readers' attention would be well advised to give this small book a try.
Unlike some other self-help writing books, this one actually delivers the goods, and doesn't take hundreds of pages to do so!
Nola
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I was in the process of writing a book proposal and thought it would be helpful. Although the kind of synopsis Cohen is talking about is more the type you use for the back-cover blurb than a full synopsis, I still found it really useful. Each short chapter has specific tips and exercises to help you nail down the essence of your plot, and there are lots of examples of synopses in the back.

This is one I'll refer back to again. Very helpful for fiction back-cover blurbs.
Charlotte
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book and especially the examples extremely helpful and practical. The examples are for two different types of book - fiction and non-fiction how-to. The tips on sound and flow, reading aloud, hard and strong words, long and short sentences - all really helpful. I have now read it twice and my only problem is that in order to make the best use of it, I need the physical copy, not just the ebook. Bryan encourages the reader to actually DO the set exercises at the end of each chapter ...more
Rhoda Baxter
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'd heard of Bryan Cohen and his ninja copywriting skills, so I thought I'd buy his book and see what I could learn. This book is clearly and concisely written (as you'd expect) and gives you a nice step by step guide to the art and craft of writing a book blurb.
I've tried to put these techniques into practice. It's hard to do, but having some guidance helps, especially when you get to the 'Okay, I've done a decent draft, now how do I make it better' stage.

I'd recommend this book to self
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream
  • Release Strategies: Plan your self-publishing schedule for maximum benefit (Successful Indie Author Book 2)
  • Help! My Facebook Ads Suck
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Strangers To Superfans: A Marketing Guide to the Reader Journey
  • Mastering Amazon Ads: An Author's Guide
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Learn Amazon Ads: Use AMS to Find More Readers and Sell More Books
  • Dear Writer, You Need to Quit
  • Understanding Show, Don't Tell: (And Really Getting It) (Skill Builders Series Book 1)
  • Pricing Strategies: Maximize your bottom line for long-term financial health (Successful Indie Author Book 5)
  • The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know
  • How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method
  • Amazon Ads for Authors: Tips and Strategies to Sell Your Books
  • How To Market A Book
  • Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development
Bryan Cohen writes about writing, comedy and embarrassing anecdotes from his life. He is also an actor, director and producer who enjoys dabbling in both theatre and film in Chicago, Illinois. Bryan graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2005 with degrees in English and Dramatic Art with a minor in Creative Writing. He has written or co-written the plays Chekhov ...more

News & Interviews