Start by marking “With Love, Wherever You Are” as Want to Read:
With Love, Wherever You Are

With Love, Wherever You Are

Everyone knows that war romances never last . . .
After a whirlwind romance and wedding, Helen Eberhart Daley, an army nurse, and Lieutenant Frank Daley, M.D. are sent to the front lines of Europe with only letters to connect them for months at a time.

Surrounded by danger and desperately wounded patients, they soon find that only the war seems real—and their marriage more a
Published March 7th 2017 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about With Love, Wherever You Are, please sign up.
Stephanie Fitzgerald I’m not, but both sets of my husband’s grandparents were enlisted. His paternal granddad was at Normandy, and returned to the U.S. on the Queen Mary p…moreI’m not, but both sets of my husband’s grandparents were enlisted. His paternal granddad was at Normandy, and returned to the U.S. on the Queen Mary packed in like a sardine! (But he sure was grateful!) His other grandfather was a Marine at Iwo Jima, a fact that he did not disclose until just before his death in 2014. (less)

Start your review of With Love, Wherever You Are
Sarah Sundin
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Uplifting and endearing, With Love, Wherever You Are tells the real-life story of the romance between the author’s parents. With spunk and humor, Frank and Helen navigate the hardships, loss, and dangers of war. Dandi Daley Mackall paints a sweet but accurate picture, and I was hooked. Thoroughly engaging!
Staci
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
What a sweet love story based upon letters sent between the author's parents during WWII.

While I enjoyed the entire novel, I especially liked the section of the book when Helen and Frank first met and were serving at the same stateside hospital. My heart melted at the kindness they each showed to the patients, especially the three friends.

The author did a nice job of weaving historical details and bits of humor throughout the novel. Well done!
Beth
I really enjoyed this one! It was a bit slow at one point, but overall, a great read. I have so much respect for what these men and women did for their country, and this hit home even more so because it is based on the author's parents and their real letters. You can tell she put her heart and soul into this book, and it's an inspiring story. Full review to come. ...more
Stephanie Fitzgerald
This book was like chocolate candy for a historical fiction lover like me! The author chose to take the letters that her parents wrote to one another while serving the in the military during WW2, as well as the stories she remembered them telling during her childhood, and weave them together into a novel.
And what a marvelous job Dandi Daley MacKall did! She crafted a historical fiction story based on the lives of two members of the “Greatest Generation” and their experiences during one of the mo
Robin Lee Hatcher
Dandi Daley Mackall’s With Love, Wherever You Are is a stirring and emotional WWII novel. I became invested in the characters, seeing the war through their eyes and circumstances. I smiled often, and more than once, I cried. Already I miss spending time with Frank and Helen and the doctors, nurses, and patients who surrounded them, all of them ordinary people thrown into extraordinary and often painful circumstances. Put this novel on your Must Read list for 2017.
— Robin Lee Hatcher, RITA and Ch
Melanie
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
With Love, Wherever You Are was a really good romance. The story was a slower one, but I actually quite enjoyed it. The letters grew on me and I loved how it showcased how a relationship/marriage progressed beautifully. It was awesome to learn that the story was based on the author's parents' love story.

The book had some difficult scenes and I never knew how things were going to go. I felt bad for certain characters at times and the ending was unexpected (it happened to quickly; I wanted more!).
Dawn
I admit it. I'm a sucker for wartime romances. This one caught me immediately. Because it's based on the author's parent's love story. I loved everything about this book. Both Frank and Helen were well written. My heart rejoiced and broke for them as they navigated a war separated marriage. I also really enjoyed the secondary characters. Their letters made me feel like I really knew these characters.

At the end of the book, the author, in her note, explains how she came to write her parents' stor
Michelle
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always love stories about real life happenings. This book was created from a trunk of letters that Dandi Daley Mackall read through after her parents passed. How neat to create the lives of your parents from old stories and letters! This book is fiction but there are letters included and it really wraps the whole story up nicely. You are taken to the middle of war after Pearl Harbor and you get to see two different sides on what all goes on. I thought this was a well written book. At times it ...more
Abigail Harris
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, I really loved this book........ Should I review it in full?!

I forgot to come back to do a full review this but here's a little more depthful review...

The characters are developed well, the story while longer than most was one that I would have loved to have more to, the romance was just so well done and I fell in love with the whole darling thing!
Karen R
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely WW2 romance based on the author's own parents' story, told mainly through correspondence. The narrative between the letters is well-written, filling in the story, giving a perspective from both Helen and Frank, with a touch of humor sometimes. Their frustrations of being separated, determination to find a way to see each other, and remain loyal to their vows, is conveyed well. Their love story is a bright contrast to the daily challenges they face as Army medical personnel, and the ugly ...more
Elizabeth N. | ThePennilessBooknerd
4.7 Stars

Helen Eberhart is a nurse in the military and Frank Daley is a Doctor. They both recently joined and are waiting any day to be shipped overseas. When their paths cross in Battle Creek, Michigan, their lives will never be the same. Falling fast in love in the middle of a crazy war and about to be separated for no one knows how long, Helen and Frank try to figure out how to make it work. The horrors of war mix with love in this novel, to create and story of Hope and Vivid pictures of the
Kelly Bridgewater
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
of my favorite two fiction genres to read is World War II. The second is mysteries, suspense, and thrillers. World War II grips my imagination because of the heroic men, women, and boys of the 1940's. I enjoy how they didn't think twice about lying about their age or enlisting to defend our country. It is hard to believe that it has only been a little over seventy years since World War II, and America's values has gone so far south that there really isn't values anymore. The heroines of World Wa ...more
Kav
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imagine being entrusted with hundreds of your parents' love letters with the caveat that you can't read them until both mom and dad are gone. What a bittersweet moment that must have been when the author finally got to open that first letter. As she read of their wartime romance, creative juices started to flow and the result is the astounding fictional account of Frank and Helen love's story. And it is totally brilliant.

Be sure to read the author's note at the back of the book which includes th
Kimberly
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With Love, Wherever You Are, written by Dandi Daley Mackall, is a historical romance set in WWII. The story is based off love letters written by her parents.

Helen Eberhart joined the Army as a nurse after Pearl Harbor. She is given the assignment of caring for severly wounded soldiers.

Frank Daley joined so he could finish medical school. He was hoping that he would not have to face battle. However, he ends up going to bootcamp and then to Europe to serve in a battlefield hospital. While serving
Renee
Loved this sweet love story about Helen, an army nurse & Fank, an army doctor, who meet while serving soldiers during World War II. I enjoyed their adventures, getting lost in the time period, and the letters sprinkled throughout the story. I think just about every scene where Helen interacts with wounded soldier boys made me cry—or at least brought tears!

Helen & Frank’s compassion, faith & sacrifice are truly inspiring. I’m so glad that this book is based on their true story because these two
Amy
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With Love, Wherever You Are is based on a true love story of newlyweds, Helen Eberhart Daley and Frank Daley. They find themselves separated when they are sent to Europe during World War II. Helen works as an army nurse and Frank is an army lieutenant and a doctor. The two are only able to connect through their letters to one another. Between the distance and danger will their marriage make it through the war?
I thought With Love, Wherever You Are to be a pretty good read. I felt like I was tran
Ann
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WITH LOVE, WHEREVER YOU ARE, by Dandi Daley Mackall
Helen Eberhart has aspired to be a nurse since she was a girl. When the attack on Pearl Harbor occurs, she decides to enlist as an Army nurse. While she is in training for a wartime assignment—she hopes in Europe, since she hates heat—she meets Frank Daley, a doctor who is undergoing basic training before being sent to a battlefield hospital—he hopes in the Pacific, because he hates being cold.
After their memorable first encounter, they begin
Rachel
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew that I was going to like the book when I read it's "blurb". Well....I more than liked it. It was definitely a book that I'll keep and remember - probably even read again in a year or so (which I rarely do). Actually, I had a hard time putting the book down and finished it within a few days - unusual for me with a paperback, as I usually only read when my Kindle isn't available. Although fictional, the story is based upon letters (and probably stories she heard) between the author's Mom an ...more
Elisabeth
Such a sweet, endearing story of love that survives war and is sustained by letters and a few romantic rendezvous. I absolutely love that this was based on the author’s parents’ marriage and wartime experiences. There are so many great characters to enjoy (and be annoyed by- Victoria, anyone?), and although some of these events feel so dramatic, they’re also completely believable. A longer novel than most, but so worth it.
Courtney Clark
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mom-read-it
Based on the authors' real parents, this story of love unfolds during the tumultuous times of WWII. It's a story of compassion, of working hard to serve where you are, of finding a peace only God can sustain, and most of all, of the strength of love. Longer review to come. ...more
Tammy K.
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic war true love story! I thoroughly enjoyed this book once it got going. I was not wanting it to end. I so enjoyed reading a chapter a day. Great inspiring about true love and how they handled different situations, making mistakes along the way, and walking with God. Wow.....truly enjoyed the wartime stories as well. I highly recommend this book.
Raechel Lenore
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5/4

This was a sweet WWII fiction, but what was better was that it was based upon the true story of the author’s own parents. That fact I found most touching.
Frank and Helen had a bit of a whirlwind marriage – a war marriage – and they went months in between seeing each other, yet their love for one another remained strong. They chose one another, and that was very sweet.
The story was well written, and I think very realistic. Sometimes I found it a tad bit slow, but not at all uninteresting – i
Neva
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on the true story of the authors parents, but does not read as a documentary. Gives a peek at the true horrors people went through and the way people coped. At the same time the love and reality of a courtship and marriage during the war.
Reeds
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
I really love this book.
It feels 'real.' I know she is telling a true story, but this is good writing so it isn't just real, it 'feels' real because of the way you feel like you're in it yourself.
It has that laughter and tears combo that is irresistible to me.
Rose Scott
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A charming portrayal of one couple's tumultuous relationship during the Second World War. Mackall's characters, based as they are on real people ring true. This gentle historical romance has just the right balance of sweetness and realism and I really enjoyed it. ...more
Becky
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Goes the Distance!

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG: http://bookreadingtic.com/2017/03/11/... THANK YOU!

In 1996, the author’s dying father asked her to go to his home’s attic, and get his old army trunk—and to make sure she did it when her mom wasn’t home. He also made her promise that she wouldn’t look at the contents until both he and the author’s mother had passed away. Although Ms. Mackall did what her father instructed her, she pestered him until he told her what was in the trunk. At
Kaitlyn S.
This was my first book to read by Dandi Daley Mackall. It was wonderful! The writing was great, the words used for picturesque — the whole book painted a wonderful portrait of life as a war nurse and doctor.

This was a beautiful, true story of two young people trying to find their own way in life, and of the Lord’s calling them to Himself when they came to the end of themselves, written by the daughter of the couple in the book.

The scenes when the two were in a courtship were portrayed with a hin
Jaina Rose
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I've been a long-time casual fan of Dandi Daley Mackall's books for years now, ever since I got hooked on the Starlight Animal Rescue series when I was younger. Mackall always writes children's books filled with equal parts thrills and heart, my favorite combination. When I saw the option to review this book, though, I knew straight away that it was a different beast. This is no 200-word animal rescue book for kids; rather, it's a 450+ pag
Barb
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Readers who enjoy historical fiction mixed with romance won’t be disappointed when they pick up "With Love, Wherever You Are" by Dandi Daley Mackall. I’ll admit, this is not the usual type of book I pick up (and you totally can tell that if you follow my book reviews or have scrolled through the pages on my site.) However, I’m so glad my neighbor recommended it and I listened to her and read it.

"With Love, Wherever You Are" is a book of fiction based on two real people: Helen Eberhart Daley and
Doreen
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is based on the true love story of the author’s parents. They met in a men’s room during World War II and soon both were serving on the front lines of Europe. I usually don’t like reading letters in books but these letters served to keep moving the plot along. They even had a secret code that I enjoyed solving right along with them.

I enjoyed getting to know Helen. She was a spunky nurse. She had a winsome way with her patients. She felt their pain and worked to alleviate it in any way
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 01, 2017 04:41PM
Goodreads Librari...: restructuring my author's book list 4 18 Jan 07, 2017 07:19AM

• The Solace of Water
  • An Ivy Hill Christmas (Tales from Ivy Hill)
  • The Christmas Swap
  • Above the Fold
  • Of Literature and Lattes (Winsome #2)
  • When Twilight Breaks
  • Previously Loved Treasures (Serendipity, #2)
  • A Sound Among the Trees
  • The Socialite
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Blue Heart Blessed
  • The Bird and the Bees
  • Sweetbriar Cottage (Blue Ridge, #0)
  • The Seat Beside Me (The Steadfast #1)
  • Coal River
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers, #1)
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • Girl, Taken - A True Story of Abduction, Captivity, and Survival
A professional writer for over 20 years, Dandi Daley Mackall has written dozens of articles for popular magazines and published around 500 books for children and adults alike, with sales of over 4 million.

A frequent guest on radio and television talk shows, she lives in rural Ohio with her husband, three children, horses, dogs, & cats. Awards include the Edgar Award for Best YA Mystery, the Helen

News & Interviews

“Ma used to say stars were heaven’s light peeking through pinholes in the velvet sky.” 0 likes