Start by marking “When the Power Is Gone (A Powerless World #1)” as Want to Read:
When the Power Is Gone (A Powerless World #1)

When the Power Is Gone

(A Powerless World #1)

Russ and Anne Mathews live in a rural suburb in Tennessee. Regular people, with regular jobs, living a normal life - except for one thing. They are what many people call "preppers".

They have stocked up on supplies to survive any kind of event they can think of that may occur to disrupt life as they know it. When that event comes, they start preparing for the new way of li
Published July 6th 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about When the Power Is Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Power Is Gone

Start your review of When the Power Is Gone (A Powerless World #1)
Willow Brooks
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed and even learned a lot from reading this book. Love the characters and how real the story felt. I mean there were a few perfectly timed moments but that often happens in real life. We think of it as being, " In the nick of time" this was an excellent book for people who love survival stories like I do. I'm so glad book two is out and I hope it's just as wonderful as book one.

P.S. This is a first time author and he outshined many seasoned authors in this genre. Well I don't know if he'
chucklesthescot
Anne and Russ live with their son Rusty and Russ is the one that persuaded Anne into becoming a prepper. They have gathered supplies to do them through an emergency, and with like-minded neighbours Bob, Janet and son Ben, have decided that working together is the best thing for survival. Janet's prepper relatives Monroe and Millie own a farm a few miles out in the country that has been set up ready and that is where they plan to go in the weeks following a disaster. But hiding during the early s ...more
Roth
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The human condition is complex and contradictory, because human beings are complex and contradictory. A good novel reflects that complexity while bestowing wisdom through flawed characters who either evolve or devolve when faced with unpredictable and/or life-changing circumstances.

In When the Power is Gone human beings are simple and harmonious--the good ones, anyway. The characters are faced with the fact that the modern world has completely fallen apart, a catastrophe that no one is truly pr
Heather Kidd
The book asks the question of what are we willing to do to ensure survival in a world that suddenly is without technology and electricity.
For this author the answer was obvious.
Family comes first, to hell with everyone else.
The book is amateurish and simple focusing more on relating on how a couple “prepared” families manage to keep up their lifestyle without the use of technology.
There was a lot of how to cook food and how to take a shower explanations and how to pack a trailer descriptions
Jodi Perkins
The writing is mediocre, but the story is intriguing and the survival tips are interesting.

I had two major issues with the book that would have been dealbreakers if this were any lesser of a story:

1. The characters lack unique voices. All of the men sound like the same person. I really can't tell the difference between Bob, Bryan, Bill (is there a Bill?), Ryan, and so on. One might say this is simply because there's a huge cast of characters, but this was a problem for me
Gizzy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Education AND enjoyment, all wrapped up together...

I've been on a bit of a kick of reading prepper fiction recently. I blame my friend, Craig Martelle, who wrote the End Times: Alaska series. It was the first bit of prepper fiction I'd read, and I only picked the first book up because I so enjoyed his other work.

Well, it turns out I have a pretty deep interest in the genre and, according to my Kindle Unlimited list, I've read about 30 books in the genre in the last three months! But
Amy
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-ve-read-it
I'd love to give this book 5 stars for content and creativity but it could definitely use some improvement overall. It is a bit corny, which is fine with me, and may appeal more to women since it's a female perspective on survival. However, my husband also found it to be enjoyable and informative.
I do recommend this book if your interest tends to surviving the coming apocalypse.
Krisaundra
Unique Point of View

Reading a post apocalyptic book written from a distinctly female perspective has a different feel to it from most other books of the same genre. More practical, less intense, and as stated above a unique point of view. I look forward to reading the sequel.
Joan Barstad
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an apocalyptic story minus the zombies! I love! Told from a woman's point of view, and getting you're heart racing..whew! Looking forward to reading the next in the series
James
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense and thought provoking

Firstly, I'm not a prepper, at least not in the conventional sense, although I was raised to be prepared. When I was young we lived 4 miles past the end of power and pavement. We had horses and used big tractor batteries, fuel oil for heat (sometimes coal), and had to carry and boil water. It was some of my best years. The storytelling is good, and the perspective is one I hadn't really thought of (being a knuckle dragged and all). However this is very well thought o
Jena
I have given this "what if" a lot of thought, and I try to read books on how others would cope, in hopes that I can learn something.
Lots of good advice amongst the fiction, and an action-packed story to boot!
Connie Nealy
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best!

This was recommended by Jacqueline Druga, one of the best apocalyptic writers ever, and she did not go wrong. I would put this series right up there with Jackie’s. Two families that are preppers, neighbors, and the husbands are brothers are faced with an EMP. It tells the story of how they came to be preppers and the challenges of surviving. I found it to Have an excellent amount of information about preparing. It is a series and I am anxiously starting the next book. It is a
Ann
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid account of what might happen--

Solid account of what might happen, and why it is good to prepare! The female perspective is fresh, honest and inspiring. I'm anxious to read the next book in the series!
Billie Kretzschmar
Characters

It's really funny how we pre-judge people. It's hard to know who can take the heat until the chips are down. Enjoyed this first book in the series. Many lessons learned.
Cherie
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prepping, Back to the past!

Well written take on what could and probably will happen if our fragile power grid is ever knocked out. The families are real and their personalities evident in this well thought out scenario. I am a prepper and this book makes me want to take it to the next level.
Ben Arzate
Full Review

Despite its flaws, When the Power Is Gone is an entertaining apocalyptic thriller. Glaspy gives a realistic view of how society could fall apart and how an average family could survive. I enjoyed this enough that I'll give its sequels a read, I believe this series has potential after reading its first two entries
Peggy Pancherz
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Read all of the books in order to really enjoy. Characters are realistic and get better and w. Storyline continues to grow and develop.
Pat Smith
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No change!!

Haven't changed my mind - this is the 2nd time to it and I still found things I don't remember from the 1st read! I am also glad to find such a very good woman writer. It's about time. I started to the next book and decided to re-read the first. Glad I did. You have an excellent knowledge of what might (probably will in my family's lifetime) occur in that time. Now to get my middle age family t o read it!!
Julie
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author states she wanted to write a book from a woman's perspective, she does a great job of making. her real. She makes her family people you care about,
Benita M. Williams
kept me reading

I gave this a 4 because of some repeat repeat story fill. But i will recommend it to friends. Great story in a Female's point of view. keep writing you do have the gift.
Vicky Rowe
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book - it kept me reading and was over too soon

The author has put together a fast moving tale that keeps you glued to the pages until the last second. I cheered, I cried, and I boiled in anger. Keep writing!
Fraser
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A hidden gem

I read this book in such a fast pace it's almost is if it never happened. Normally reading is something that takes place over a few days to a week for me. Not with this one. There was just no way I could put the book down, the NEED to know what happened next consuming me. Thoroughly recommended!
Patty Mitchell
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-a-glaspy
Good book, I am starting the second one now!
TomP
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

The story is good, but the writing is wordy and simple at times. My biggest issue is that the characters are very sexist. He sticks very closely to traditional gender roles. Women cook and clean, men do 'men stuff'. Obviously he didn't grow up with five sisters.
Kayelle
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the basis of this book I am now part of Ms. Glaspy's editing team.

I think that she has done a wonderful job of getting across the feminine, less weapon detail oriented aspect of the post apocolyptic world without getting into pure fantasy.

There are details in this book that would help any prepper.
Misty
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, omg-bad
I hate to trash a novel, particularly when the majority of the reviews on it are absolutely glowing. With that said, this was just....well....unfortunate. The premise here is that an apparent EMP has been detonated, leaving a wide divide between the haves and the have-nots. The perspective of subsequent events is from the “haves”, preppers who spent years building up stores for just such an event.

The story opens with a VERY brief introduction to two of the main characters—Ann and her son Rusty.
Karla N. Colon
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

I really liked this book. It's got a fair bit of action. I like the fact that the women can defend themselves. I also like that the characters Change their minds about their neighbor and offer to help others. There is some good prepper info that I am looking into as well. I just purchased book 2 and can't wait to see where Glassy takes me next.
Gwen  Eubanks
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's a no for me

I almost stopped reading this book on several occasions. The first being when the author said the people in New Orleans had their guns taken away after Katrina. It was extremely hard to stomach the constant judgement from the characters concerning people who weren't preppers. Most people in this country live check to check. How exactly are they supposed to put aside $200 a month for preparing for a disaster? The dialog was poorly written. People don't talk like that! I hat
Karen L. Curnow
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

I liked this book because it did not get bogged down with types of guns and all the many descriptions that others seem to include in their books. I have skipped many pages in books because the dialogue gets too descriptive. I don't want to know about car engines either. This book sticks to the story and offers just the right amount of information.
Even though this is a familiar story for me because I love post apocalyptic stories, I enjoyed the softer approach to the end of the wor
Stephen
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

This book has to be the best "free" e-book recommendation I've ever gotten. Before I'd even finished it, I had purchased the next book in the series. This is also the first Kindle book, I've reviewed, so it must have made an impression. This book deals with the first week of an EMP event. A family begins preparations to bug out to their farm and picks up new team members. I don't want to give too much away. Suffice to say, new preppers will find a lot of useful information put forward i
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Breakdown (Dark Road Book 1)
  • Allison's Secret
  • Premonitions: Book 1: The Farm
  • Survive the Aftermath (Small Town EMP #2)
  • Last Woman
  • The Fall (Burning Skies, #1)
  • Survive the Conflict (Small Town EMP #3)
  • We Won't Go Quietly: A Family's Struggle to Survive in a World Devolved (Book Three of the What's Left of My World Series)
  • Opus Odyssey: A Survival and Preparedness Story (One Man's Opus Book 2)
  • Resistance: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival series (Dark Road Book 3)
  • Ash (The Alt Apocalypse #1)
  • Escape: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival series (Dark Road Book 2)
  • Opus Adventure: A Survival and Preparedness Story (One Man's Opus Book 3)
  • Solar Storm: Book 1: Season 1: Episodes I - III
  • Survive the Chaos (Small Town EMP #1)
  • American Survivor (American Apocalypse #1)
  • The Accord: Post Apocalyptic Woman (Allison's Secret Book 2)
  • Undefeated World (The EMP Survivor Series #5)

A Powerless World (3 books)
  • When the Pain is Gone (A Powerless World #3)
  • When the Peace Is Gone (A Powerless World #2)
“SHTF.” 0 likes