Start by marking “Living with Postcards” as Want to Read:
Living with Postcards

Read Book* *Different edition

Living with Postcards

Alternate Cover Edition for 9781519326805

This fully colour-illustrated non-fiction book describes my close relationship with old postcards. I have collected them since the 1970s and now own over two thousand of these charming, beautiful, quirky, historical items.

I started fanatically collecting them whilst writing my thesis on Fantasy in Postcards at art college, where I
Published July 8th 2016 (first published August 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Living with Postcards, please sign up.
Joy Mutter Hello Baldridge, I do apologise for not responding sooner but I did not think anybody would actually ask me a question about my books, nor was I…moreHello Baldridge, I do apologise for not responding sooner but I did not think anybody would actually ask me a question about my books, nor was I notified. I've only just seen your question.
The rarest kinds of cards are transport, art nouveau, Titanic, pre-1950s railway station cards, Louis wain etc. If the card is too badly damaged it will never achieve its true value. I considered adding a chapter on valuable postcards but I only own a few high value cards, like Louis Wains and I only wanted cards from my own collection in the book. I have never wanted to collect any cards merely because they are financially valuable. If a postcard does not appeal to me visually, I would not buy it just because it might be rare and financially valuable. I collect certain cards because they are beautiful or charming, not because they command a high price, not that I could afford to buy them anyway ha! I am thrilled that you have selected my book to read. It is my best selling book of the six I have written. I'd love to know what you think of Living with Postcards if you do read it.(less)
Joy Mutter If I had not already been the author of the book, if I came across it I would buy it because I am a keen collector of old postcards and would find the…moreIf I had not already been the author of the book, if I came across it I would buy it because I am a keen collector of old postcards and would find the illustrations of interest and the information useful. I would have been delighted to receive it as a gift if I had not written it. I'm sure that anybody who appreciates beauty, quirkiness and history would love to receive it as a gift.(less)

Annie
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was reading the author's Hostile series of books (which I was thoroughly enjoying) I decided to have a look at what other books she had published and spotted this one. I've always loved looking at old postcards and this book sounding interesting, so I purchased the Kindle version. Once the book had downloaded to the Kindle app on my tablet (so that I could view the postcards in full colour) I immediately flicked through the entire book looking at all the postcards. I was impressed. I have ...more
P.S. Winn
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this wonderful book that not only has some great postcards, but fantastic information. It is so fun to have a great hobby of collecting things and with the postcards, the author really takes readers down a timeline of history. You forget how ideas change throughout the years and this is a great way to stroll down memory lane. The author adds information on the times and gives a great look into the history f the postcards as well. I read this book on my kindle, but think it would be a gre ...more
Diane Drinkwater
I now feel quite educated about postcards. The book reminded me of the ones my grandmother had tucked away in a drawer, beautiful old cards. I know what Joy means about it feeling intrusive reading the messages on the other side though. I'd love to see a book of postcard messages though!
This book has a really wide selection of cards that gives you a real glimpse into the past designs and styles. I recognised some of the artists too. I was pleased that the cheeky postcards of my own childhood got
Ginny Clyde
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved perusing through this book! The collection of postcards that Joy has collected is beautiful and fills you with a sense of the way the older generation looked at life. It gives an insight to their fantasies and imagination. Joy explains the history of each card and gives an interesting background to the images that are used on the postcards. This book made me yearn to receive one too! Will be looking forward to getting the paperback.
Brenda
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am having so much fun reading this book! I had no idea there was any such thing as a "fantasy" postcard. Or the kinds of old cards that were out there.

The author has done a wonderful job explaining the different types of collectibles, which ones from what years to look for, and given great insight to the stories behind them.

Who knew postcards were so interesting?
John Thys
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realise that postcards were such a complex subject from photographs to comical and advertising to name a few this book gives a wealth of knowledge to anyone who reads it must have been a labour of love for the author well worth a read
Chris
A short but interesting jaunt through historic postcard design.

I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.
Richard Malone
Does not covet cards that I collect

Interesting history of postcards , but does not cover the ocean line and cruise ship postcards that I personally collect..
anita miller
  • The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren
  • Flying
  • Head Over Heels in the Dales
  • Rocks & Minerals
  • Food for Free (Collins Gem)
  • The Language and Thought of the Child
  • Remember: The Journey to School Integration
  • The Infernal World of Branwell Brontë
  • Other Worlds: Space, Superspace, and the Quantum Universe
  • The Descent of Woman
  • The Mammoth Book Of Native Americans
  • Crystal & Gem
  • What Happens When We Die?: A Groundbreaking Study into the Nature of Life and Death
  • Jeremy & Amy: The Extraordinary Story of One Man and His Orang-utan
  • An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis
  • The Singing Detective
  • معنی هنر
  • The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
Author of Random Bullets, 4 books in The Hostile series, Her demonic Angel, Living with Postcards, Potholes and Magic Carpets, The Mug Trilogy, and The Trouble With Liam.

Joy Mutter started writing books in 2007 but waited until 2015 to publish six of them on Amazon. Three more books followed in 2016. All thirteen of her books are available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle editions. Eight books al