Start by marking “Venturess (Mechanica, #2)” as Want to Read:
Venturess (Mechanica, #2)

Venturess

(Mechanica #2)

Happily ever after is just the beginning.

Nicolette’s Cinderella story is over, and she’s finally living her own fairy tale happy ending. She’s a successful inventor now, free of her horrible stepfamily, and content in her loving friendship with Caro, a palace servant, and Fin, the prince of Esting.

Then she receives a message from her long-lost housekeeper, now a revolution
Published August 1st 2017 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Venturess, please sign up.
Betsy Cornwell There are touches of romance and lots of love of all kinds, but romance is by no means the focus of this book - it's more about adventure and family d…moreThere are touches of romance and lots of love of all kinds, but romance is by no means the focus of this book - it's more about adventure and family dynamics.(less)
Betsy Cornwell This is the last book. I have a standalone Robin Hood retelling coming out in 2018 that's technically a prequel, but it's set 200 years before Mechani…moreThis is the last book. I have a standalone Robin Hood retelling coming out in 2018 that's technically a prequel, but it's set 200 years before Mechanica and Venturess, so all it really shares is the setting.(less)

Start your review of Venturess (Mechanica, #2)
Jay G
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

VIDEO REVIEW: https://youtu.be/kjOdBBziVmo

4.5 Stars

Such a great sequel! The friendship between Nicolette, Caro and Fin was even better than the previous book. The storytelling was more vibrant and action packed and I loved the new setting of Fairie! There were a lot of twists and turns I didn't see coming
Bluerose's  Heart
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I wouldn't recommend this book to conservative readers, like myself. There's mild spoilers throughout my review, so I'd only recommend reading it if you want to hear about the content.

(view spoiler)
Darque  Dreamer
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Make sure you have read Mechanica, Betsy's imaginative, steampunk retelling of Cinderella, because Venturess is a tale you do not want to miss. It is full of adventure, suspense, and beauty and has an aura of fairy tale nostalgia. Imagine adding characteristics of Peter Pan and Avatar to the story of Cinderella and you will find Venturess.

Venturess will not only continue the story from book one, Mechanica, but it will take you on a new journey. Venturess holds the struggles between right and wr
Ruth
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was nervous that after how much I loved Mechanica, I would be disapointed with this next installment. I needn't have worried, because this book exceeded all of my hopes.

Perhaps I will write a fuller, more conventional review later on, from my notes and bookmarks, but for now, some thoughts:

It's difficult for me to put into words exactly why I love these books so much, partially because it's hard for me to pin it down even in thoughts. They're well-told stories with complex, believable, flawed-
Stella ☆Paper Wings☆
Just thought I'd throw a mini-review up here since I never really reviewed this and since it's been a few years I probably never will. I can't remember precisely why I didn't like it other than that it doesn't make much sense as a sequel to a Cinderella retelling since it's really a totally different concept, and the plot was really all over the place.

However in retrospect, I have to credit the fact that the man relationship in this book is polyamorous and it features genderless fairies
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
*pets pretty cover*
Shame I disliked the first book so much.
Shelley
*Source* Edelweiss*
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy, Steampunk
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

Venturess, by author Betsy Cornwell, is the surprising second installment in the authors Mechanica series. At the end of Mechanica, readers were told that the story was an open-ended standalone with hopes that the ending would satisfy those who actually got through the book without giving up on the story. The author said that she did have future plans for the characters and their world. 2 years later, Venturess is
Anelise
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you haven't read the first book, Mechanica, you should definitely read that first. Mechanica is a Cinderella retelling, but "Cinderella", or in this case Mechanica, is a mechanic and all she wants to do is go the technological exposition in order to escape the clutches of her step-family. Venturess is about what happens after Nick starts up a very successful business.

This story has many unexpected twists which kept me on my toes when reading this! I loved learning about Faerie and all the in
Suzanne
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Mechanica we were introduced to a complex world with the kingdoms of Faerie and Esting so different from each other and so intriguing. The folk from the Faerie kingdom are re-imagined in a way that shows them as distinctly nonhuman, however humanoid their appearance can be. The magic of Faerie and the mechanical, gear-driven inventions of Esting are as unlike as their creators. And there is Nicolette, our heroine - intelligent, inventive, and so lonely and mistreated since the deaths of her p ...more
Katrina Ayala
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Venturess is the second book in the Mechanica series by Betsy Cornwell; a steampunk fairytale retelling. I absolutely loved Mechanica and was so excited to finally dive into the next part of Nicolette's story.

One of the things I love most about this series is Nicolette's strong conviction about being her own heroine and how love, as defined by society, plays a lesser role. Her version of love comes in the form of her two best friends: Fin and Caro. These three characters share such a unique bond
Teenreadsdotcom
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Just days after her grand reveal in MECHANICA, Nicolette is finally beginning to make a life for herself, free of her step family’s tyranny. Her friendship with Fin (heir to the Esting throne) and Caro (palace servant) continues to blossom. Her sponsor, Lord Alming, has given her money to start her own store for her magical mechanical inventions.

But amid all her happiness, revolution is brewing with the Faeries who have had enough of Esting’s oppressing rule. Most Estingers, including Fin’s fath
Michelle Henderson
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much and I really recommend it. It really hits ya hard at the end though, so be prepared.
Milena
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Becky B
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
As certain people in court try to maneuver public opinion and the King into outright war with Fey, Fin still boldly speaks for peace...but that may prove dangerous. For his good, the good of the kingdom, and her own curiosity about a letter she's received, Nick encourages Fin to try visiting Faerie in person to work out a peace treaty. Nick personally hopes to reunite with her old friend and housekeeper, as well as finding out more about the magic that makes her inventions so successful. With th ...more
Lisa
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great follow up to the first book. Relevant and well written themes of anti-colonialism, found families and the legitimacy of polyamory. Much as I enjoyed Mechanica, this book is much faster paced and more eventful, expanding upon the complexities of the world and the characters.
Lulu (the library leopard)
Hmmmm... I'm not totally sure how to rate this. Basically, it was five stars for certain things I love reading about like airships and fairies and steampunk and a love triangle resolved with polyamory and found family but more like two stars for actually resolving issues and being well-paced...

And yeah, I cried over a fictional metal horse.
R Z
Absolutely stunning. I cried—I’m going to buy this and Mechanica like whoa. (And all this is because I got an ARC of The Forest Queen.)

Cornwell is definitely on my favorite Author list!
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
These books always hit me with at least one big thing where I’m like “you did NOT set that up enough to do this and get away with it,” but i did still like the book, so maybe it did get away with it.
Stacy Books
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Meghann

Venturess is the second in a Cinderella tale written for a young adult audience. The first book in the series, Mechanica, covers Nicolette’s plight from an orphan in her stepmother’s house to the fiancé of the heir apparent. Venturess takes place where Mechanica leaves off and, although I didn’t read the first book myself, I did see reviews expressing the positive feminist undertones of the novel.

Venturess would make a good addition to an LGBTQ collection. The relationships b
Jan farnworth
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved the first book in this dualogy Mechnica it was delightful retelling of Cinderella with a steampunk twist.  Book two Venturess takes us on a delightful adventure to Faerie which the author does a fantastic job of drawing us into.  Their are plot twists that i did not see coming and heart break beyond imagine.  This is a great two book series that any fan of retellings will enjoy.
Cecilia
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous cover.

Overall, it had a very rough start. There were many times in the beginning I wanted to quit reading this book and move on to something else.

However, I am glad I continued with it. It gets a lot better. It has a sweet ending.

JULES! I won't spoil anything, but my baby! God I love that horse. Best fictional horse ever.
Katie
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love, ya-for-y-o-u, 2017
Venturess was everything I'd hoped the sequel of Mechanica would be. It was cute, it was funny, and it possesses a serious strength. A YA novel that breaks the mold of awful love triangles and unhealthy relationships, replacing them with the importance of platonic love and polyamory. It expertly handles these concepts while realistically portraying Nick's change in mindset--she is still sometimes sucked back into the societal norms she grew up with, but realizes that she doesn't have to rely on ...more
Stephanie
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, I saw this book at my local library and checked it out at 845pm. It's now midnight, and I just finished it. It's a good compelling read! I really am intrigued by the family Nick, Caro, and Finn have. however, I think there's a lot that gets glossed over, and you feel removed from the story at times. It took around half the book to get to Faerie, and then so much gets crammed in. I'll still read the next book, but this one just felt a little more removed emotionally for me than the first.
Danielle
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful book by Betsy Cornwell.
Elan Wallace
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Children and adults

Brace yourself for an adventure to an exotic location....steam punk meets Cinderella withe a twist. Romance, air travel, and a happy ever after.
Plot Monster
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Venturess by Betsy Cornwell has 320 pages and was published in 2017 by Clarion Books.

Venturess is Cornwell’s followup to her magical retelling of Cinderella, Mechanica. This is the story of what happens after the ball. The previous novel ended with war and this novel picks up as Nicolette, Fin and Caro attempt to broker peace between Esting and Faerie.

Venturess is a simply charming sequel. I wouldn’t describe it as particularly thrilling or fast-paced. However, it is reminiscent of traditional f
Alison
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wish I could give this book six stars! I liked this even better than Mechanica. The character development got even more complicated and the plot had some amazing twists I was definitely not expecting. Amazing!
SR
This is gorgeous; heavier than the first one. Nick & Caro & Fin are more established in a way that's truly original in YA and fairy-tale remixes, and those sections were beautiful.

The pacing is... off. I can't tell how much of that is from time since I read book 1 or actual wordcount allocation weirdness, it just rushes and hangs at weird times, eliding months in a sentence and spending chapters on single hours.

The culture of Faerie is fascinating and, again, stunningly progressive - pronouns an
Vera
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Thank you to HMH for sending me an ARC of this book!

Do you like Faerie tales? Do you like steampunk? Do you like steampunk Faerie tales? If you answered yes to these questions, then this book is for you! The characters are compelling, and the non traditional romantic relationships are extremely refreshing. The plot is a little slow, but some interesting twists and reveals towards the end make the book worth reading all the way through. A great follow up to Mechanica - definitely recommend!
Christina
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this follow-up to Mechanica. The fascinating and progressive culture of Faerie and the lyrical prose had me spellbound.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)
  • School Spirits
  • Hood
  • The Buried Life (Recoletta, #1)
  • The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Cinderella (Faerie Tale Collection, #4)
  • A Dress for the Wicked
  • A Tale of Two Lovers (The Writing Girls, #2)
  • The “Manfatuation” (Spindle Cove, #3.1)
  • The Oracle of Dating (The Oracle of Dating, #1)
  • Accidental Love
  • Read Bottom Up
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • Long May She Reign
  • Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)
  • Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #1)
  • The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)
Betsy Cornwell is a New York Times bestselling author living in west Ireland. She is the story editor and a contributing writer at Parabola, and her short-form writing includes fiction, nonfiction, and literary translation and has appeared in Fairy Tale Review, Zahir Tales, The Violence Prevention Initiative Journal, and elsewhere. She holds an M.F.A. in creative writing from the University of Not ...more

Mechanica (2 books)
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)