Start by marking “Vegan Food for the Rest of Us: Recipes Even You Will Love” as Want to Read:
Vegan Food for the Rest of Us: Recipes Even You Will Love

Vegan Food for the Rest of Us: Recipes Even You Will Love

Recipes for regular people who love great food by "a humorist and cookbook author whose recipes really work."

To create her very best recipes for Beat This!, a cult favorite and a hilarious book full of seriously delicious recipes, Ann’s formula was simple: "Double the chocolate and add bacon." But when she decided to go vegan, what in the world was she going to put in her
Published June 6th 2017 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Food for the Rest of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Food for the Rest of Us

Start your review of Vegan Food for the Rest of Us: Recipes Even You Will Love
❄️✨ Kat ✨❄️
I saved quite a few recipes in here for future use, but many of them have ingredients that are things I don't generally use. Maybe I should start looking into them at some point, but for now I have a few recipes that have ingredients common to my household and sound delicious to eat.
This book has recipes varying from sides and soups to Main dishes and desserts. Good variety and the author talks about how hard it can be to convert to being a vegan which many other cookbooks of this nature do not
Lee
Jul 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
No Bueno.

A lot of tired recipes in here repackaged as new.

Also, I'm not a fan of using highly processed proteins (soy meat), and I think the authors use of them is a cop out.
Kirsti
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I still love Ann Hodgman's writing style, and I want to be the kind of person who adores vegan food. But this book is not going to get me there. Most of the recipes look very complicated, and many are not healthful--one includes a cup of Crisco. If you are a vegan for moral reasons, though, this may be right up your alley. I will probably try making the Intense Peanut Sauce, though.
Sugarpuss O'Shea
Finally. A book on vegan cooking that tells you the limitations & realities of the 'cuisine'. This was one of the few cookbooks that I read everything. You can tell Ms Hodgman is a writer who also happens to write cookbooks. I really enjoyed her conversational style & the fact that she didn't blow smoke up my backside, trying to pretend that going vegan is all rainbows & unicorns. This was refreshing.

I appreciated the author's honesty in saying that no matter how you cook them, vegetables & tof
Kathie
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing new here.
Ashley H.
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I probably won't make any of her recipes precisely, but I did get some inspiration so that counts for something. The one thing I didn't enjoy about this book was the seemingly obsessive need to make vegan things (i.e. baked goods) taste EXACTLY like non-vegan food. Don't get me wrong, I only want to eat good tasting vegan food, but it's honestly been so long I don't even remember what real butter tastes like so my vegan cupcakes taste amazing to me - they for sure don't taste like buttery cupcak ...more
Pam
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I had a daughter coming home for Christmas, who is trying have a more vegan diet. The title of this book caught my attention. When I got it home, I realized it was written by Ann Hodgman, author of my favorite cookbook ever: "One Bite Won't Kill You". I love the book "One Bite Won't Kill You". Full of my favorite kid/family friendly recipes. White Pizza! Good Good Goulash!

If anyone can make Vegan cooking taste good, it will be Ann.

Here is what I learned: Crisco is vegan. Pepperidge Farm puff pa
Mandy
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
If you’re working on transitioning to a vegan diet, don’t read this cookbook. I fear the complicated recipes will make people feel intimidated. The way this book looks (funny, modern) made me think it was filled with easy, vegan recipes for people who didn’t want to difficult recipes or weird ingredients (it’s called “for the rest of us”). I was wrong. There’s a hummus recipe where you have to unshell every chickpea...there’s a recipe that says “this is a somewhat involved procedure”.

The writer
Rosie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you're actually too cool to be vegan but feel driven by your inconvenient conscience to eat that way anyway, this is the book for you. Obviously, the lack of bacon and butter are going to make vegan food inferior, but Ann Hodgeman makes the best of things.

I haven't tried any of these recipes yet. But I can tell they'll be infinitely superior to any created by people who actually think vegan food is good.
Jenny
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I saw an interview with the author and thought I would get the book, but I can't agree with using MSG in my meals.
I'm not a vegan or even close to it but wanted to add more plant based meals. Nothing really appealed to me in this book
Otterspace
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
No pictures :(
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
More like 2.5. A little too much reliance on soy and literally no pictures but will try two recipes.
Flynn
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital, food
a vegan cookbook that's honest about the limitations of vegan substitution!!! never thought I'd see the day
Becca
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Most of the recipes aren't very inspiring, despite the big promises in the title. Cute illustrations, but pictures would be more helpful in a cookbook.
Emer
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this cookbook because the brownie recipe actually tastes as good as an omnivore brownie and does not contain vegetables of some kind or coconut sugar.

If you want a wholefood vegan cookbook with lots of chia, quinoa, nutritional yeast, coconut sugar and brown rice syrup, you should look for a book by Dreena Burton or Aine Carlin because this is not that kind of vegan cookbook.

I am happy to cook super healthy vegan chillis and dals during the week, but at the weekend I crave food w
Melissa Fulkerson
Jan 28, 2018
Brittany Resto
Feb 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook: Over 125 Delicious, Life-Changing, Plant-Based Recipes
  • Vegan on the Cheap: Great Recipes and Simple Strategies That Save You Time and Money
  • Fuss-Free Vegan: 101 Everyday Comfort Food Favorites, Veganized
  • Call Your Daughter Home
  • Plant-Based on a Budget: Delicious Vegan Recipes for Under $30 a Week, for Less Than 30 Minutes a Meal
  • Your Body in Balance: The New Science of Food, Hormones, and Health
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • I Can Cook Vegan
  • The College Vegan Cookbook: 145 Affordable, Healthy & Delicious Plant-Based Recipes
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • Liv B's Vegan on a Budget: 112 Inspired and Effortless Plant-Based Recipes
  • The Vegan Air Fryer: The Healthier Way to Enjoy Deep-Fried Flavors
  • My Beef with Meat: The Healthiest Argument for Eating a Plant-Strong Diet - Plus 140 New Engine 2 Recipes
  • Vegan for Everybody: Foolproof Plant-Based Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and In-Between
  • Canción de cuna de Auschwitz
  • Paw Patrol (My Busy Books)
  • Baby Shark: Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (A Baby Shark Book)
  • Why Do We Need Bees? (Lift-the-Flap First Questions and Answers)
Ann Hodgman (born 1956) is an American author of more than forty children's books as well as several cookbooks and humor books and many magazine articles.

Ann was raised in Rochester, New York and graduated from Harvard College, where she was a staff member on the Harvard Lampoon and the Harvard Advocate. She was the food columnist for the magazines Spy and Eating Well. Her essay "No Wonder They Ca