Start by marking “Gone Camping: A Novel in Verse” as Want to Read:
Gone Camping: A Novel in Verse

Gone Camping: A Novel in Verse

(Gone)

Hiking in the great outdoors, catching fish, watching the stars come out at night—camping is fun. Until it’s time to sleep. Then, Lucy wonders, what kinds of creatures lurk in the dark? With only her brother and grandpa as tent-mates, will Lucy be able to face her camping fears?
      Filled with a variety of poetic forms—from aubade to haiku—as well as exuberant art and h
Published March 28th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gone Camping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone Camping

Rehan Abd Jamil
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My first children's book for the year. loved the illustrations a lot!
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
In Gone Fishing, Sam and his younger sister Lucy has some sibling issues to work out on a fishing trip with dad. Now, they're back. This time they are going on a camping trip with dad, and while both kids are really look forward to this, as the trip gets closer, Lucy is feeling some apprehension - after all, she doesn't like the dark, and there are all those night critters that could crawl into their tent.

Then, all packed and ready to go, dad wakes up sick on the morning of the trip and has to s
eyes.2c
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome resume on the camping trip!

Complete with meter and in rhyme.
Stupendous! Ok, I wriggly giggly loved this! Such fun! So clever!
Took me back to my childhood. Us kids and the car packed the night before and then up and out by an early 2am morning! Rolled from our beds into snuggly places in the car. Dad always wanted to miss the traffic.
Did I mention how much I really liked this book?
The illustrations are lively, humouress and easily associated with.
A fun, fun book!

So free ...
and easy to r
Amanda
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great continuation of Sam and Lucy's story, but I flet like the type of poems were forced (though I did appreciate how they are explained in the back - I just preferred the more poemier poems of Gone Fishing)
Ms. Yingling
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Lucy and Sam are all ready to go camping, but when their dad wakes up with a bad cold and their mom thinks she should stay home with him, their grandfather is enlisted to take them. They have lots of fun doing the sorts of things that one does while camping. The poems tell the story, and the type of each poem is listed at the top, as well as explained in the back, which is a nice touch. The illustrations are fun in a Quentin Blake kind of way. If the poems were longer, I would buy this, but the ...more
Andréa
Oct 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
Note: I accessed digital review copies of this book through Edelweiss and NetGalley.
Marnie Bimm
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Poetry and Easy reader

Copyright Date: 2017

Estimate of age level of interest: K-4

Estimate of reading level: 2.5

Brief description: The kids are ready to go camping but Dad wakes up sick, so grandpa is going to take them instead. They aren't sure and they would prefer mom and dad, but grandpa turns out to be an excellent camper. This story is told through different types of poems with a reference at the back about the different types.

Identify at least 2
Michelle
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
GONE CAMPING: A Novel in Verse is a companion to Tamera Will Wissinger's award-winning GONE FISHING (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013). It's a delightful family story that picks up with Sam and Lucy, the same true-to-life siblings featured in the first book. While Gone Fishing was told largely from Sam's point of view (he didn't want his special fishing trip with his dad hijacked by his little sister), it's nice that Lucy shares equal billing in Gone Camping. Both kids are excited about the famil ...more
Caitlin
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sam and Lucy have been looking forward to their camping trip with their family. They have everything ready and are about to leave, when their dad wakes up sick. It is now up to their grandfather to take them camping. Sam and Lucy are not sure how exactly this is going to turn out, but they actually have a lot of fun in the end.

I have never read a book written exactly like this and it was really interesting. They different techniques the author used to tell the story kept me hooked. The verses a
Peggy Tibbetts
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While Sam and Lucy prepare for the family’s camping trip they eagerly anticipate all the fun they will have at the lake. But when the big day arrives Dad is too sick to go along and Mom has to stay home with him. Sam and Lucy are less than thrilled to hear that Grandpa will be going instead. But Grandpa proves to be seasoned camper and a lucky fisherman. Wissinger’s clever storytelling in verse unfolds in a series of poems, with each poem being a chapter. Cordell’s gray washed line drawings fill ...more
Christine
This was my first novel-in-verse for younger readers— it’s described as a good fit for chapter book readers and I would definitely agree. Even as an adult reader though, I found my eyes glazing over while reading the back pages all about poetic techniques and forms that felt an awful lot like homework. I think it’s useful information to have as a reference, but just reading the story itself is a lot more likely to show kids that poetry doesn’t have to be difficult or intimidating. I’d use those ...more
Turrean
Stellar! A variety of poetry forms tell the story of a pair of sibs who end up camping with Grandpa, when their dad gets sick. The comic sketches by Cordell are a great match, and the expressions on various faces (Grandpa, as he contemplates his bug jar; Lucy, facing the dark; Sam, listening to Grandpa snore) are priceless.

There are short, manageable descriptions of the various poetic forms at the back. Readers will want to try their hands at one or two. (I never heard of a "krielle" before!) A
Stephanie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Dad gets sick and Mom has to stay home to take care of him, Grandpa steps up and takes Sam and Lucy on the weekend camping trip they've been looking forward to. Grandpa's not much of a camper, and Sam and Lucy are worried at first that his inexperience will ruin the trip, but of course they all bond and make it a wonderful weekend anyway. Kind of a weak story, but they telling is lovely: each "chapter" is a different type of poem, and the point of view switches between the characters so tha ...more
Diane
"Spookiness, shadows, strange noises: Behave.
I am ferocious. I'm Lucy the Brave."

Lucy and Sam are disappointed when their Dad gets sick and so they have to go camping with Grandpa instead. It turns out that Grandpa is pretty fun, too.

Cute story and in the back there is a lot of information about the different forms of poetry in the book and the techniques used in writing poetry. A definite add to the school library collection.
Anne
This novel in verse tells the story of siblings who were supposed to go on a camping weekend with their parents. Then Dad got sick, so he and Mom stayed home and the kids went camping with Grandpa instead.

Lucy, Sam, and Grandpa all take turns telling the story.
Wide variety of poetry styles used (all of which are listed and explained at the end of the book).
Great mentor text.
Colette
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ah the memories of camping as a kid and then as an parent of three. Awesome novel in verse with so many different types of poetry all telling a fun story of prep, trip, fear, issues, fun and frolic on a wonderful camping trip with Grandpa!

Absolutely love the Provisioning for Poetry at the end of the book wit so much information.
Karen
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this very short book about camping with grandpa! The information about each type of poem used in the book make this a wonderful resource for teachers or students wanting to write using a variety of poem formats. Junior Library Guild selection.
Barbie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm reading this for the Children's Book Award committee. (SC) Great novel in verse. All types of poetry are represented and explained in the back. Fun story. Teachers will enjoy using it to explain and analyze poetry. Grades 2 - 5.
Kayla
Novel in verse with illustrations. My 2 year old listened to it because there were pictures. I liked that they used a variety of poetry styles, not just free verse, and each poem was labeled with the type of poem it was (limerick, charm etc.).
Jojobooks Higgins
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super delightful for little campers! Nice length for 2nd grade level readers (and up, my 9.5 year old enjoyed it too) We read this while camping, taking turns to read the verses.
Put this on a Christmas Book gift idea list!
Anna Davidson
The first verse novel I’ve read for lower primary. Despite many American references, I think young Australian children will be able to connect with Sam and Lucy’s camping experience. Lovely illustrations.
Donna Dobihal Smith
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: next-step
This story offers children a look at a wide variety of poetry forms while telling a story that will pull them in from page one. Appended explanations of poetry forms used in the book also makes for interesting reading/discussion. Would make a great book club book for the 2nd-3rd grade crowd.
Rachel's Book Reviews
Meh. Not sure what the target audience is. Mostly looks like for youngsters but some of the complex layouts might be difficult for that age range to pick up on.

Also.....my page 51 has an error. So I don't know what that page says. XD
Mary
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#12 of top 15 books of 2018: Gone Camping, A Novel in Verse by Tamera Will Wissinger & Matthew Cordell. I love the way each poem perfectly captures typical moments of a camp-out, from fear of the dark to grandpa’s snoring.
Pam
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-poetry
A great poetry book which also a section at the end on rhyme, rhythm, techniques and forms. Would be ideal for a unit on poetry for grades 2-4. The camping theme creates a great framework for this book!
Maria Rowe
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this! It was fun to read. I love that each poem is labeled with the poem form, and that there’s a listing in the back explaining each along with a list of techniques. I’m not a big fan of poetry but I thought this was really fun and accessible. I liked the drawings too!
Sasha
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, arc, poems
A short and sweet book of poetry about camping. Explore all kinds of poetry formats while camping with grandpa. Makes me want to read more poetry and go camping. Or read poetry while camping. Sounds like a success to me!
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, mg, poetry
Perfectly captures the anxieties and fun of going on a camping trip, especially when there is a last minute change. Great for those who are just starting chapter books.
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A worthy follow-up to Gone Fishing, this book is a great choice for students who think they don't "like" poetry.
Trinity
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for teaching poetry!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Tamera Wissinger writes stories and poetry for children. Her book Gone Fishing: A Novel In Verse, HMH, is an ALSC 2014 Notable Children's Book, a Children's Book Committee 2014 Best Children's Book of the Year, and an International Reading Association 2014 Teachers Choice Book. This Old Band, a counting concept book from Sky Pony Press is a 2015 Read to the Rhythm selection, and a 2014 Southwester ...more

Gone (2 books)