Start by marking “The Dark Net” as Want to Read:
The Dark Net

The Dark Net

The Dark Net is real. An anonymous and often criminal arena that exists in the secret far reaches of the Web, some use it to manage Bitcoins, pirate movies and music, or traffic in drugs and stolen goods. And now an ancient darkness is gathering there as well. This force is threatening to spread virally into the real world unless it can be stopped by members of a ragtag cr ...more
Published August 1st 2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Net, please sign up.
David Smith I read about one novel per week and would go broke if I had to purchase them at today's retail prices. 95% of what I read comes from my library and…moreI read about one novel per week and would go broke if I had to purchase them at today's retail prices. 95% of what I read comes from my library and the rest are used copies, purchased from The Strand Bookstore in Manhattan.(less)

Paromjit
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book that turned out to be different from what I expected it to be, it is more fantasy and horror than a straight forward technological read. Set in Portland, Oregon, Lela is a luddite workaholic reporter, with a remarkable dog, Hemingway, writing for The Oregonian, always looking for that exclusive story with the help of Josh. Her niece, 12 year old Hannah is blind but finds herself fitted with The Mirage, a trial experimental device that allows her to see, and gives her the gift of s ...more
Blair
Reading this book was like riding a somewhat shoddy rollercoaster. You get on, and at first it's exciting, but after a while you realise it's similar to one you rode a while ago, and that one wasn't very good. Then you decide that, since you can't get off the thing, you may as well try to enjoy it anyway. And in the end, although it's not a great experience, you have to admit that you had a certain amount of fun.

The Dark Net reminded me why I usually avoid this type of lurid fantasy-horror: to m
Whispering Stories
Book reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

The Dark Net was one of those books that I read the synopsis and was eager to read. Unfortunately, I got the book at the same time as I was reading another book to do with the cyber world and had to wait until I’d finished that one before I could start this one. I didn’t want to get the two muddled up.

Upon starting, I quickly realised that I wasn’t going to fly through it like I thought I would. I read the first two chapters twice as I found my
Zuky the BookBum
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really think that the synopsis for this book is not up to scratch! Although, yes, the synopsis is what initially drew me to this book, after reading it I can say that the book is WAY better than the synopsis would make you believe!

This book tackles the subject of good and evil, with references to demons and black magic… which I didn’t get at all from the synopsis! I was expecting this to have a much deeper involvement with the dark net, what’s on it and how it’s used. While yes, there is tha
Paul
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book.

Whoever wrote the synopsis for this novel may have done it a disservice as it was not what I expected. Within the first half there is a paragraph or two that has a cyberpunk flavor and seems to follow said synopsis, but on the whole the first half of this novel is dominated by more traditional Percy plot devices. In other words good old fashioned supernatural elements with a hint of creepiness.
Percy having matured and mastered his
Carol (Bookaria)
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
In The Dark Net paranormal technology meets an evil-fighting squad.

The book is about unlikely characters coming together to fight evil. This evil comes in the form of technological threats as well as supernatural demons.

Yep.

I imagined the story would be completely different based on the description of the book, I thought it would be more of a technological thriller like Digital Fortress by Dan Brown but is more like a horror-fantasy book from Stephen King.

The book is narrated from different po
Truman32
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Living on Mockingbird Lane in a haunted neighborhood, it is safe to say I am not easily scared. There was the time I heard a tap, tap, tapping in the wall of my house. I tore open the wall to discover the grinning skeleton of a walled-in construction worker--yawn. There was the time I took my date to Inspiration-Point and when I returned home I discovered the bloody hook from an escaped maniac’s hand dangling from the car door—ho-hum. And yet another time I was babysitting the Baumann twins when ...more
Marvin
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Let's talk about truth in advertising.

When I first looked at the title, It seemed pretty self-explanatory. The Dark Net. I am quite aware of what the Dark Net means in relation to the internet. The blurb at the back of the book didn't sway me any other way. My expectation was one of a William Gibson influenced tech thriller mixing the perils of cyber culture with the terrors of the supernatural. Now THAT would be a novel!

It was not meant to be. Whenever a disappointment like this happens, I am w
Ben Brown
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Dark Net” is not the book that I was expecting it to be. In some cases, that would be a bad thing. In the case of Benjamin Percy’s latest novel, it is decidedly not.

Without giving away too many about the novel or the directions Percy takes his story, I’ll just say this: “The Dark Net” is not as straightforward as the book’s synopsis would have you guess. There’s a lot more here – both narratively and thematically – that one might expect from Percy, who in novels like “Red Moon” and “The De
John McDermott
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the future the fight between good and evil will be over the internet. Demons will lurk there in order to capture your soul. This is the entertaining premise of the latest novel by Benjamin Percy . The author has also written for DC Comics in the past and he uses that experience to good effect in the description of his larger than life characters. I loved all of them ,Cloven in particular. What a nasty, creepy and evil piece of work. A slim novel but a big book ! You'll see what I mean when th ...more
Alex Cantone
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir, 2018-challenge
Ask someone in Portland where the Hadal District is, they’ll look at you funny, say they don’t know. Every city has a place like this. A place unmapped. A place where the GPS goes dark. A place people don’t go, except by accident, and then they’ll drive fast to escape it.

Horror is not one of my favourite genres, and The Dark Net is unlikely to satisfy those who crave it; the chill-factor here is low and unlikely to rob anyone of sleep. It tell of an ancient war of dark forces, named “Shadow Peop
Anmiryam
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't call this terrifying, but it was very good entertainment. A good mash up of techno thriller and supernatural thriller with a nod to zombie novels. Dryly humorous in it's knowing use of horror and comic books narrative structures. Glad to have stepped outside my comfort zone to read this one.
Akahayla
This book was okay. The entire book reads like a movie but I found it really hard to connect with the characters. I felt nothing for them so when a few of them died I just didn't care TBH.

I loved the gore though. The book did creep me out a couple times but I kept losing track of what was happening. Maybe it's because the entire book reads the same way.

I felt that there was no buildup to a scene and no change of pace everytime something creepy happened. Which is why it took me a month to finish
Tracy
I don’t usually read horror. This was horror with a technological bent. I couldn’t take it seriously but I did enjoy it.
David Agranoff
Boy I really really wanted to like this book. There were a couple reasons for this. For one thing, I really enjoyed the interview with the author on the "This is Horror" Podcast. I found Percy to have lots of interesting takes on writing and the plot to this novel sounded interesting. I thought the concept was one that could be really cool. The fact that it was set in Portland a city I miss didn't hurt either. I WANTED to like this book, and yet I didn't. Now there are levels to disliking a book ...more
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it

The Dark Net by Benjamin Percy is an imaginative, fast paced, paranoia fueled ride!

Mr. Percy jumps right in at page one. He knits together a mish-mash band of characters to save the world. A do-or-die for the story kind of reporter, a 12 year old blind girl, a man on his second life, and a woman who has lived hundreds of lives all come together to fight the big bad. An evil so dark and deep it will give you the willies. The violence is gory and brutal, but also rather cold and detached. We are
Lucy Banks
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

A modern take on the classic demon / horror / apocalypse story.

So, I went merrily diving into this book, expecting it to be a thriller about the more sinister side of the Internet. Not so! In fact, it's a horror story, filled with nasty demons, satanic rituals, and plenty of blood and guts. Not my usual thing - but why not, I thought? Let's give it a go.

For the most part, this was an entertaining read. Hannah is a tw
Rinn
I received a copy of this book for free from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

Disclaimer: I am totally obsessed with the TV series Mr. Robot. Not only is it sleek and mysterious, with incredible characters, but there’s something about it that always leaves me totally hooked (also yeah maybe Rami Malek is kinda of cute ahem). From that I ended up playing a couple of hacking-based video games, and then I was offered this book, which felt kind of l
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
This wasn't really the book I expected, but it's not the book's fault. And it was fast-paced and entertaining enough in the end. But I expected a dark techno-thriller and instead got an everything-including-the-kitchen-sink set of elements wrapped up into a messy thriller that didn't seem certain about what it wanted to be.
Liz Barnsley
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cleverly horrific. Full review to follow in a featured post near to publication.
April Thompson
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Silly me, I thought this was supposed to be about the dark net.

2.5
Ben Babcock
This book is a hot mess. I don’t even really know where to start with it.

The Dark Net is a horror novel with the basic premise what if demons took over our computers? It’s a mediocre take on the idea that our dependence on networked devices, our proclivity for screen-time, leaves us vulnerable—in this case, to possession, psychic hacking I guess. They do say that the eyes are the windows into the soul, right?

One of the problems with The Dark Net right out of the gate is that there are quite a lo
Lou

Mr robot
The matrix
The ring
Sixth sense

You seen all these and then you will be prepared for this tale.
This author upon the page has created something that may bleed into the world, a take over of sorts, la Porte del
Rhiannon Johnson
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SCARY! Not like Percy's The Dead Lands!
*full review to come*
Belle
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this book was a little bit of published sleeper. It seems like there should have been a wider audience for it.

This book is Batman/Gotham City meets X-Files with an occult leaning. Although it is entirely possible that some of Percy's writing was tongue-in-cheek or comic book dramatic and I just missed that because the story scared me.

It was a shade or two too dark for me. I can always tell this when I look up from my book and the whole world seems just a tint darker.

Ultimately, it is
Ned Hayes
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great standard horror thriller, with a few twists, by a writer with talent. Longer review coming! #horror
Paul
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
More and more of my life exists online. I’ll not deny it, I’m an information junkie. When I wake in the morning one of the first things I do is check my phone. Not for missed calls, I never get any of those. No, I’m online checking my social media feeds and looking at the news. My job primarily involves working with software applications based in the cloud. I purchase my weekly shop via an online supermarket. I consume all manner of content, entertainment and otherwise, via a host of internet ch ...more
Tim K
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too many very improbable situations....... even for a sci-fi / fantasy novel. I should have done more research on this book before reading it... I really almost hated it totally and put it down.... thumbs down.
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
When I first stumbled across The Dark Net by Benjamin Percy on a list of summer releases, it jumped right up to the top of my TBR pile and became one of my most anticipated reads for August. After reading a few other novels that discussed the dark net and the secret underbelly of the web, I couldn’t wait to dive into this one and creep myself out reading about this anonymous and criminal arena.

This book ended up being 100% completely different from what I was expecting.

The novel follows several
Brian Burmeister
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Our world is a scary place. In Benjamin Percy’s latest thriller, The Dark Net, we’re constantly—overwhelmingly—reminded of that. Set in present day Portland, the disturbing novel explores the dangers which lurk in the furthest, darkest, and most criminal corners of the Web.

Following the fascinating stories of a hacker, a journalist, a former child evangelist, and a twelve-year-old blind girl who has just been given the ability to see through an experimental technology, we’re introduced to a grip
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Sometimes the Wolf
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • The Fetishists
  • The Unbaited Trap
  • Our Harsh Logic: Israeli Soldiers' Testimonies from the Occupied Territories, 2000-2010
  • Eve's Apples
  • End of Days (ARKANE #9)
  • Brother's Keeper
  • Everything That's Underneath
  • Ghost in the Cogs: Steam-Powered Ghost Stories
  • Cry Your Way Home
  • Crystal Healing and the Human Energy Field: A Beginners Guide
Benjamin Percy is the author of four novels, The Dark Net (HMH, 2017), The Dead Lands (Grand Central, 2015), Red Moon (Grand Central, 2013) and The Wilding (Graywolf Press, 2010), as well as two books of short stories -- Refresh, Refresh and The Language of Elk -- and a craft book, Thrill Me: Essays on Fiction. His fiction and nonfiction have been published in Esquire (where he is a contributing e ...more
“Books are like batteries, he says. And you grow a little stronger by reading them, surrounding yourself with them.” 1 likes
“Not long ago scientists figured out a way to create mathematical constructs of patients’ hearts.” 0 likes