Start by marking “Snail & Worm Again (Snail & Worm, #2)” as Want to Read:
Snail & Worm Again (Snail & Worm, #2)

Snail & Worm Again

(Snail & Worm #2)

Geisel Honor Winner

In this silly sequel to Snail & Worm, the dynamic duo are back for more fun and giggles in three new comic shorts brimming with quirky humor and unflappable friendship. At turns clever and sweet, these laugh-out-loud stories are perfect for readers coming out of their own shells and making the transition between picture books and chapter books.

Published March 28th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Snail & Worm Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snail & Worm Again

Joan
This is a Geisel Honor book. I enjoyed it a lot but I can't say I really felt it amazing and deserving of an award. It is sweet and funny in places. One story is about how Snail admires himself in a "mirror" which is actually a penny. He's looking at Lincoln's face and asks how handsome his various features are such as a beard. His friend, Worm, points out that he doesn't have a beard and that it isn't him in the "mirror'. I'll leave his conclusion for you to find out. There are a total of three ...more
Shaye Miller
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was laugh-out-loud funny! This 30-paged book is divided into three stories: Snails Wings, The Mirror, and Snail is Sad. I hate to merely describe it as being like Elephant & Piggie, but that’s become my go-to for the type of picture book humor that’s both funny, but also a little sobering (because it’s often about real-life problems).

I like that these different scenarios can open the door to discussing childhood problems because young readers will laugh, but also understand the issues.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Kügler, Tina Snail & Worm Again, PICTURE BOOK. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2017. $17. 9780544792494

Snail and Worm are best friends. One day a small feather falls on Snail who now thinks he has grown wings, Worm is sad because snail might fly away. In another chapter, Snail is dissatisfied with his shell - he wants it different, more like other things he sees. Worm tries to show Snail the good things about his shell. There’s also a chapter where Snail mistakes a penny for a mirror.

I wanted t
Mary
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Although classified as a picture book, it functions like an early reader, similar to the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems. Funny and poignant, Snail and Worm have an excellent friendship.
Heidi
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
Really funny. A new favorite.
Maggie
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-e-2017
The stories seem to end somewhat abruptly. Also a bit of a downer. The snail wasn't ready for wings? So sad!
Wendy McGaha
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exam-1
This book made me smile! It is a Geisel Honor winner, having met the criteria for being a beginner book that motivates children to read through the imaginative pictures and story being told. This book is age-appropriate for preschool/kindergarten-aged children because of the imaginative and creatively drawn illustrations and the simple, yet progressive way of sharing the stories. The pictures drawn are capable of telling the story without using words at all. The cover of the book uses a wrap-aro ...more
Amie Williams

Genre: Fantasy

Lit Requirement: 1 Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book 2018

Topic Tags:snail, worm, friendship, humor

Summary & Review/Response:
Snail and Worm are best of friends and they love to do fun and silly things together. Snail starts off the book by finding a leaf and makes himself wings. He thinks he is going to fly away, until his wings fall off of him. Then, Snail and Wo
Kari Percival
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I remember learning to read, and I remember they great joy, my tiny finger training across the page, in sounding out and comprehending the dead pan, almost dry comedy of Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad are Friends. The slow pace of my blossoming reading ability actually highlighted the beautifully poignant moments of comedic drama and allowed the absorption of Lobel's sage wisdom behind the jokes, the genius hidden in the simplicity of the language.

While reading Snail & Worm Again with my five
Kaylee
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dr-smiths-class
this book is about two friends. a snail and a worm. one day the snail finds a feather on his shell and thinks it is a wing. the next day he finds a penny and thinks its a mirror. the last day he talks to worm about how he wishes he had a better shell. in the end of the book they are both very happy friends.

I liked this book because it is a great example of true friends. you have two completely different things that are friends and they talk like they are brothers.

I would use this book for many
Ashlee Phagan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
a. Summary: This book tells the story of two friends, snail and worm. The book contains three short stories of the two friends. The first story is about snail thinking he grew wings, the second story is about snail thinking a penny is a mirror, and the third story is about snail being sad his shell doesn’t look the way he wants it to.
b. Evaluation: This is a very cute book for beginning readers. It is extremely easy to read and can be easily broken up by story to elongate the book. Although sho
Ashleigh Best
"Snail and Worm Again" is a great book for young children. It covers important topics, such as self-esteem and friendship. In this book, Snail and Worm have conversations about flying away, their reflections, and how they look. Through their conversations, the reader is able to see how each character feels about their friend and how they would react if they were not around. This allows the reader, especially young children, to see what good friends are like. Along with this, Snail and Worm model ...more
Kelsey Thompson
Snail & Worm Again is about two silly friends Snail and Worm who see things as a snail and worm would see them. This book consists of three short stories in one and they are too hilarious. The first one is when a leaf falls into Snail's shell and gets stuck so he thinks he has wings. Thankfully it is just a leaf because he didn't want to fly away and leave Worm anyway. The second story is when Snail finds a penny in the yard and thinks it is a mirror. He talks about how handsome he looks but ...more
Valeria Ayala-Nazario
This book is about a snail who wishes to be like or have what other animals or other things in his surroundings have. His friend, the worm, is always there to tell him that he does not have to have what others have because he is perfect and a great snail. In the end, the snail realizes what the worm is saying and agrees.
This book was different from other books. The story did not have much to it, but the snail wishing to be certain ways and the worm helping the snail accept itself. I wish this bo
Lisa
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok

I wanted to like this more than I did. The characters weren’t loveable or sweet or even cute for that matter, and
Senecca Fuller
The book is quite humorous but yet gives light to problems all people had gone through in their lives. Also, the book is unique since it tells three mini stories with a story. The snail and the worm allow the reader to use laughter and friendship between the two characters to solve their problems. There were three problems in the story. One problem was of how the snail being sad that his shell did not look pretty like the things around him and how the worm founds a way that the shell was pretty ...more
Dain Frisby-Dart
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cvtc-kidlit
Snail & Worm are having more adventures-Yea! Broken down into 3 short stories, they could be approprate reading for more advanced early readers, but probably not for beginners. Lovely, super funny & sweet, the illustrations go well with the story for clues, but I think some of the things happening will need explaining or may go over the head of real little ones, IMO. I LOVE these 2 friends though, and can't wait to share with my nephews. This would be appropriate for a small group or clo ...more
Margie
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can you hear that sound? It's the music of shared laughter. This happens when readers get to enjoy the company of their favorite characters over and over. When those characters maintain the personalities we've previously appreciated, it makes the hilarity far richer.

Another marvelous transformation takes place with the readers and listeners. When they leave the story walking out into the real world, a bear is no longer just a bear. It may be Winnie the Pooh. A spider is simply not a spider, it c
Kara Pushay
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and this is was funny and sweet. It was a very creative and imaginative story. Little jokes are portrayed throughout the story which kept me laughing. I also liked how there was three different stories in this book. The scenarios of the story were child friendly which let the children connect to the book. It allows readers to understand the problems and to have a good laugh as well. This book also relates to friendship to show kids what it is like having a good and trusting f ...more
Olivia Mullen
I really liked this book because this stories were cute and the words weren't too overwhelming for the child reading it. I also like that the book is broken down in three different stories because I feel like that keeps the Childs attention better than when it is one long story. The relationship between two friends is something that all children can relate too and so I feel that it is a good book and deserving of the award.
Rebecca Ann
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm starting with #2 so I could be missing a lot, but I love these characters! This is a hilarious read for Preschool-first grade. Snail and worm are a little bit crazy but have good hearts and are charming friends. They find a penny and decide it is a mirror, although snail comes to realize he doesn't have half the facial features of the picture he is looking at. A feather falls on snail and he decides he is growing wings. Finally, worm helps snail see that he is special just as he is!
Ang
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: geisel-award
2018 Geisel Honor Book

This is a bit too long for storytime and the book is a bit too small.

"In this silly sequel to "Snail and Worm", the dynamic duo is back for more fun and giggles in three new comic shorts brimming with quirky humor and unflappable friendship. At turns clever and sweet, these laugh-out-loud stories are perfect for readers coming out of their own shell and making the transition between picture books and chapter books." - inside left jacket flap
Madeline Conzett
This is a very easy to read book for a younger audience. This book actually contains three short stories about two friends, the snail and the worm. These stories are very simple and easy to read and comprehend. These stories explain friendship, confidence, acceptance and caring for one another. The snail and worm really care for each other and want each other to be happy. This is a very cute book and is great to teach a younger audience about friendship and being kind.
Dianna
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Neither my son nor I cared about any of the three stories in this book. No soft humor like George and Martha, no out-loud laughs like Elephant and Piggie, and the illustrations weren't that great—just not a style I enjoy.

I do think this would be okay for early readers, but there are better things out there.

In the end, my favorite part was the endpapers. They would make a gorgeous fabric or wallpaper print!
Bailee Magnuson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Erin
Snail & Worm go through 3 humorous vignettes about friendship. When a leaf falls on Snail's shell, he thinks he has grown wings. When he sees a penny, he thinks it is a mirror and he now has ears and a beard. When he feels sad that his shell doesn't look like other pretty things around him, Worm discovers how Snail's shell is somehow like each of those things.

A feel good I Can Read that would be good for older kid or preschool storytimes.
Drew Slanina
I like how the main theme of this story focuses on friendship. Both the snail and worm are friends that go through many small adventures together. The snail has the tendency to be naive, while the worm plays the more logical role. over time, the worm helps the snail that is going through a crisis about his shell. Eventually, the worm makes the snail feel better about himself.
Hannah Feeney
This is such a fun and silly book! The story of an odd friendship between a snail and a worm. Their friendship is genuine and honest. The illustrations are absolutely adorable. The part where the snail thinks he sees himself in a penny is so funny. Children will love laughing along with the snail and the worm as they go through some silly antics and spend time together.
Camille Rickis
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These adorable short tales of unlikely friendship are everything that is sweet, loving, and hilarious. The illustrations convey the fun-nature of the stories with the colorful plants and animals, and the facial expressions on the snail and worm show how good of friends they are. The way the text is blended into the illustrations also makes the story more fun.
Jonathon J
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This books is a very fun read and has 3 stories in one which makes for more fun. One story Snail thinks he is looking in the mirror but he is looking at a penny. The next story a feather falls on Snail so he thinks he has grown wings and Worm thinks he is going to fly away. In another story Snail does not like his shell and wants a new one.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• My Kite Is Stuck! And Other Stories (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)
  • Charlie & Mouse (Charlie & Mouse, #1)
  • Noodleheads See the Future
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King & Kayla, #1)
  • My Friends Make Me Happy! (The Giggle Gang, #3)
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • I See a Cat
  • Fox & Chick: The Party: and Other Stories
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • Ling & Ting: Twice as Silly
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
  • Go, Otto, Go!
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Ballet Cat Dance! Dance! Underpants! (Ballet Cat, #2)
  • Barkus: Book 1
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
Author-illustrator Tina Kügler lives in Los Angeles with her husband, three sons and an enormous hairy dog (named Harry).

Tina wrote and illustrated SNAIL AND WORM (2016, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), a collection of easy reader stories about two small friends. The sequel, SNAIL AND WORM AGAIN, is a 2018 Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book.

IN MARY'S GARDEN (2015, HMH), written and illustrated by Tina and

Snail & Worm (2 books)
  • Snail & Worm: Three Stories About Two Friends (Snail & Worm, #1)