Start by marking “Sneeuw als as (Snow Like Ashes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sneeuw als as (Snow Like Ashes, #1)

Sneeuw als as

(Snow Like Ashes #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  54,020 ratings  ·  6,648 reviews
Zestien jaar geleden werd het koninkrijk Winter onder de voet gelopen door de kwaadaardige koning Angra. De Winterianen werden tot slaaf gemaakt en hun magie werd hun afgenomen. Alle hoop is nu gevestigd op de acht mensen die wisten te ontsnappen en sindsdien op de vlucht zijn.

Meira was nog maar een baby toen Winter werd aangevallen en kent alleen het leven als
Published January 10th 2017 by HarperCollins Young Adult (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sneeuw als as, please sign up.
Sara Raasch Yes! Book 2 will be out in 2015, and Book 3 in 2016!
Mrs. There is romance, I guess, but not really. The story isn't about the romance... it's about the restoration of a king to his throne. I would give it a…moreThere is romance, I guess, but not really. The story isn't about the romance... it's about the restoration of a king to his throne. I would give it a 4 in romance just because it IS there, and there is a small story line about love and duty, but it isn't the main thing. (less)

·  54,020 ratings  ·  6,648 reviews

Start your review of Sneeuw als as (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I wanted to be a soldier. Someone who would earn standing in Winter. Someone Sir would look at with pride. Someone Mather would look at and—

This is one of the best high fantasy I've read this year, which might not mean much, considering the crap I've read, but I can only attest to my enjoyment of it. This book is good.

But...but there's the love triangle.
I’m at the center of this, a weird possessive feud between the Winter king and the Cordellan prince.
Why there gotta be a love triangle,
Emily May

3 1/2 stars. Okay, let's get some things straight first.

Q: Will this book offer a never before seen plot with mind-blowing originality and absolutely definitely no love triangle?
A: Nuh-uh.

Q: But did I get completely sucked into this world and ended up wildly entertained for the last few hours in which I read the book in a single sitting?
A: Hell
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ending of Snow Like Ashes was just WOW! So many twists and turns I didn't see coming, loved it!
Steph Sinclair
I tried really hard to like Snow Like Ashes. Really hard. There are a lot of things a person might try to do. You can try to ride a bike. Try to draw. Try to, I don't know, jump off a cliff. And that's when I realized I was being completely ridiculous. You can't force yourself to like something no matter how hard you try. So I stopped trying and just continued reading, mostly because I really hate DNFing books, and took the pressure off of myself. Needless to day, Snow Like Ashes never improved ...more
Sabrina
The Synopsis:
 photo c29ae-excited-amy-adams-in-cute-dress-reaction-gif_zpsb1549f50.gif
The Cover:
 photo 30-Rock_zpsa00f1046.gif
This book better be flipping fantastic
 photo 1337187226814_zps773d5088.gif
After Reading:
TO my last comment- it was, it truly was flipping fantastic! I loved every second of this book. It is so unique, and the characters were written flawlessly. It was pure brilliance! Marvelous job, Sara Raasch! You truly are brilliant! For this review I am going to try a different approach to my usual review.
The Plotline:
The Beginning:
From the view of Sir
Don't go photo 9660864_zps7fa2fcec.gif
From the view of Mather
Nervious photo tumblr_ljry5cYRfQ1qixleeo1_500_zpse5857480.gif
Lola
‘‘It’s too easy to throw balance into chaos.’’

description

This was an interesting, mostly positive, surprise. I did not know what I was getting into, perhaps, for there are many things I wasn’t expecting to discover.

While, overall, I found Meira to be a good fantasy heroine, there are some specific scenes, that could have been avoided or modifided, making her, somehow, get out of her character—a strong and fierce one. It is that she is quite reckless and there are moments when she can’t control her
Katerina
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Recycling My First Reviews: A Trip Down Memory Lane, Vol. 1

Then

Snow and ice and frost above, that was ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ!

I can't believe it took me so long to start reading it! Everything, everything that makes fantasy my favorire genre was dominant in Snow Like Ashes; the unique world Sara Raasch created, with the magic's source, the division of the nations based on the season/weather, the evil, cruel monarch who sought unlimited power without hesitating to meddle
Naomi
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
February 12, 2014:
Am I the only one that notices that's Xena Warrior Princess's second Chakram on the front cover? I'm not joking.

description

Hmm, maybe I'll read this.

February 3, 2015:

Okay, so I've written and rewritten my review like a hundred times and I'm kind of sick and tired of writing it now. For now, this is how I feel about the book. This is edited out of 7 pages of half reviews, so don't expect it to be perfect by any means:

I finished Snow Like Ashes disappointed because I never felt that
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I did predict something that happens REALLY early on in the book though which sucked, but I absolutely fell in love with Prince Theron!
Sana
Warning: This review is a crazy ass mess, like seriously. Is this even a review???

4.5 I FUCKING LOVE MATHER STARS. THERON IS GREAT, BUT LIKE,, MATHER ALL THE WAY.

*screams for a year or so*

I didn't expect this to so so so good. Honestly I'm mind blown and so amazed! This book was fucking captivating from the start and had me hooked the entire time. Whoever said the world building was 10/10 was right. I HATE love triangles with a passion, but this book did it so fucking well. Even though I was
Anne
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have rated this a tad lower, but ( and I can't BELIEVE I'm saying this ) I adored the love triangle.
I KNOW, RIGHT?!
No one is as surprised by that statement as I am.
And it is a love triangle. There's the boy she's loved all of her life, and then there's the boy she's forcibly engaged to.
Guess which one I picked?
The new guy!
Again, no one is as surprised as I am. I'm a HUGE sucker for the We've-Been-Friends-Forever sort of love. Plus, there's no easy winner in this triangle. Like,
Ben Alderson
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well this book was an amazing novel which I will not be forgetting for a long time.

I have always struggled with getting into the fantasy genre so at the end of 2014 I said to myself that I need to try the genre bit more!
Being the second fantasy novel of the year 2015 that I have read It has not disappointed!

Bear with me, I do not normally type reviews but I will give this a go!
If you want to buy the book with free shipping here is a link.. http://www.bookdepository.com/Snow-Li...

Right, I
Rachel E. Carter
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
Brilliant debut. Sarah Raasch gave fans of YA medieval fantasy exactly what they wanted. This book had a lot of action without being too bogged down in details and there was never a dull moment. I found the protagonist believable and I really enjoyed her love interest, Theron. He is exactly my kind of prince:) I am looking forward to the sequel -especially if it involves a lot of rivalry between Mather & Theron. Not huge on love triangles but love to see them acting jealous;P
Evgnossia O'Hara
I was feeling epic! ...more
Andreea Pop
Did I ever mention how much I love YA high fantasy? Because I do. Love it, I mean. I REALLY LOVE IT. But you know what I love even more than the genre itself? Finding a YA high fantasy book that I also enjoy, because those are so rare and precious. Well, fellow bookish people, I am happy to announce that I found another bejeweled novel that fits the bill perfectly -- Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch. Let the fangirling commence. *jumps up and down excitedly*

First of all, I gotta say Snow Like
Simona Bartolotta
2.5

“I don’t need made-up strength. I’m strong enough on my own—me, Meira, no magic or conduit or anything.”

How is it then that you don't feel truly fulfilled until you find out that you after all ARE the special snowflake we all knew since page one you'd end up being?

description

I hate this kind of plot development. The main character spends the entire story trying to find in him/herself a reason to feel important on his own, by virtue only of his spiritual or whatever strength, and then it turns out that
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
4 Snow Above! 's

“Even the strongest blizzards start with a single snowflake.”

“Holding on to some part of your past even if it means also holding on to the pain of never again having it. That pain is less horrible than the pain of forgetting.”

*Some minor spoilers may ensue*

Reread <3
This is my second time reading "Snow Like Ashes" and though it does starts out slow, once I get to a certain part, I'm hooked! I have a hard time putting this book down. It's a real page turner ;)!! I was very
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
******************** 4.5 STARS ********************

"Someday we will be more than words in the dark."

This book really surprised me! I didn't really think I'd enjoy Snow Like Ashes because all the reviews seemed to range from mixed to just plain average. I just ended up putting this series off until now because the premise honestly sounded so interesting and I figured I should just form my own opinion and see for myself how I'd like this book.

At first, I thought that the beginning was a little
Robin & Fo
The title...

PLEASE BE GOOD!
Kiki
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shaky in places, but nonetheless awesome. Filled with hope and sincerity and the feel of a good old-fashioned fantasy adventure with a soft, poignant edge.

Full review to come.
Lia

Well, this was underwhelming as heck.

First things first: with this review, I don't mean to say that this is a bad book, because it's not. In fact, I can see why so many people loved it, but it definitely wasn't for me. It was just so generic and bland, and was completely identical to every other fantasy novel I've read before. Nothing about it was remarkable.
I found the whole seasons idea to be quite silly: what is it with authors these days, that they keep naming things after seasons,
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
 photo Banner_SnowLikeAshes_zps60f7fa03.png

Every time someone asks me about Throne of Glass, I want to chuck Snow Like Ashes at their faces and yell something along the lines of, "Read this thing instead!" Of course, people won't listen to me if I don't justify my suggestion. Here's why I recommend everyone should pick up Snow Like Ashes:

Meira knows how to kick ass.

“No matter what happens, no matter who turns on me, no matter what pompous swine thinks he has power over me, I am still me. I will always be me.”

All her life, all Meira
Faye, la Patata
Holy Jesus in a manger on the 25th of December... I think I just found a new fantasy series to love.

And here I thought the Young Adult demographic has forgotten to churn out awesome high fantasies. The last time I've ever loved a YA Fantasy with a female heroine this much was when I read The Girl of Fire and Thorns Trilogyby Rae Carson. Since then, the fantasies I've read didn't even ignite any wonder or awe in me, didn't make me feel as immersed, didn't make me feel as involved or as engrossed.
Natalie Monroe
"I can feel him eyeing Mather, both of them caught in an awkward web surrounding me. I'm at the center of a weird possessive feud between the Winter king and the Cordellan prince. How in the name of all that is cold did that happen?"

I have no idea. But of course, no love triangle is complete without manly preening!

"It whacks into the center of the target, the handle wobbling from force.

Theron turns to me, half his face slight with the beginnings of a smile. "My weapon of choice doesn't
Melanie
This world was a lot easier to understand once I was able to write this in my notes:

Four Seasons, four Rhythm Kingdoms, eight conduits:
5.) Yakim - Ax(e) - Female
6.) Ventralli - Crown - Male
7.) Paisly - Shield - Female
8.) Cordell - Dagger - Male

Because this book throws a lot of information at you very fast.
Aly (In Wonderland)
"Someday, we will be more than words in the dark."

For a long time, YA Fantasy was repetitive and boring, with the same special snowflakes, the same innocent, pure heroines. All the stories were formulaic, as if it wasn’t physically possible to write anything different.

Lately, though, YA fantasy has started branching out. It was easily forgotten how much this reader loved the magic and forbidden love stories, the strange creatures that lurked in the dark, the different kingdoms, the results of
C.G. Drews
OH BREAK OUT THE CELEBRATORY POPSICLES! THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! I feel the need to flail excessively because this was a super highly anticipated read for me. And it did. not. disappoint. YAY AND FINALLY. So let's make snow angels and hug icicles because I LOVE THIS BOOK.
description

But, also, I have logical things to say. (Aren't you glad? I know you are, stop rolling your eyes.)

SO! It's a world centred on the four seasons...which I can only say YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU to. Usually it's
Clumsy Storyteller
“Fear is a seed that, once planted, never stops growing.”

EPIC.

Is the word that comes to mind to describe snow like ashes.

I was hesitant when I started reading it. I knew trouble were coming, 50 pages and they got the half locket? All they need to do is find the other half and get the magic back, easy task, right? I mean what could go wrong?

SPOILER: Everything went wrong.

The world building is phenomenal. We have 4 rhythms and 4 seasons. Ruled by 4 males and 4 females:

Seasons:

Spring (Male):
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
i really really loved this.
Here's my review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqmkY...
Lora
Apr 13, 2013 marked it as looks-promising  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This sounds like it might actually have some originality. Wouldn't that be refreshing? #pleasenolovetriangles
YA Buddy Readers'...: Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes #1) by Sara Raasch - Restarting July 20th AND August 8th 2019 80 340 Aug 10, 2019 08:27PM
Marther or Theron ? 86 934 Jul 13, 2019 11:16PM
Read Rate Review: Chapters 23 to the end 19 137 Dec 09, 2018 10:42AM
Read Rate Review: Chapters 12-22 7 87 Dec 07, 2018 10:27AM

• Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
  • The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
  • Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1)
  • A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1)
Sara Raasch has known she was destined for bookish things since the age of five, when her friends had a lemonade stand and she tagged along to sell her hand-drawn picture books too. Not much has changed since then — her friends still cock concerned eyebrows when she attempts to draw things and her enthusiasm for the written word still drives her to extreme measures. Her debut YA fantasy, SNOW LIKE ...more

Snow Like Ashes (3 books)
  • Ice Like Fire (Snow Like Ashes, #2)
  • Frost Like Night (Snow Like Ashes, #3)
“Someday we will be more than words in the dark.” 521 likes