Start by marking “The Immorality Clause (Easytown Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Immorality Clause (Easytown Novels, #1)

The Immorality Clause

(Easytown Novels #1)

Easytown’s robotic pleasure clubs are a serial killer’s playground.

The futuristic slum in eastern New Orleans is a violent place where any vice can be satisfied--for a price. As long as the taxes are paid and tourists continue to flock to the city, businesses are allowed to operate as they see fit. Easytown has given rise to the robotic sex trade; where the robots are ne
Published July 8th 2016 by Muddy Boots Press

To ask other readers questions about The Immorality Clause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immorality Clause

Start your review of The Immorality Clause (Easytown Novels, #1)
Steve
I received this from Audiobookboom in exchange for an honest review.

This was a lot of fun! The comparison to Blade Runner is a valid one, especially the relationship between the main character and a murder witness, as well as the dark, gloomy environment of Post-WWIII New Orleans, eerily similar to Blade Runner's LA.

At its heart, this is a murder investigation with distinct elements of a police procedural and PI noir. I also enjoyed the modern technology twist to the plot.

I will definitely be lo
AudioBookReviewer
My original The Immorality Clause audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

“The Immorality Clause” is written by Brian Parker and the audiobook’s narration was performed by Daniel Penz.  Wow, let me start this review by saying that if you are at all a fan of great science fiction noir (not recommended for younger audiences) and you have not yet picked up and listened to this book, go do so now; you will not be dissatisfied.  I was not sure based on the author’s descrip
C.T. Phipps
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cyberpunk
Bladerunner was one of my favorite movies growing up and it's easy to see why. It's a Noir Detective story which just so happens to take place in a proto-cyberpunk future. Replicants took the place of Blacks as an exploited underclass but they were actually in a state of full-on slavery again. Bladerunner's hero, for lack of a better term, was the kind of man who existed to hunt them down and exterminate them when they went rogue. A few novels have managed to recapture that sort of world with P ...more
Bella
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Parker’s futuristic New Orleans, wetter and colder than it is today due to climate change, is a terrific setting for his brand of contemporary noir. The Immorality Clause is perfect starting point for the series, and a feast for any noir fan.

Check out the rest of my review at BestThrillers.com.

Andy Peloquin
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let's be clear: I'm NOT a murder mystery reader. I received this book in exchange for an honest review, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it was one heck of a great read.

The main character (hard-boiled detective) is as expected, with nothing too special to make him stand out from every other murder mystery detective. The supporting characters are equally expected: from the love interest to the colorful suspect to the gruff chief. But that didn't make the story any less enjoyable. In fact, t
Sabrina
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome story from Brian Parker! This sci-fi thriller was addictive and impossible to put down.

As a tired detective works in New Orleans (in 2089), the murders in Easytown are rising. Where people go to purchase the services of 'pleasure droids', go clubbing all night, or just sink into the gritty nightlife offered there, the possibilities are endless for self-gratification.....but life-threatening?

Zachary Forrest is on the case, or cases, when the murders reflect no coincidences, no clu
Trisha Perry
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In futuristic New Orleans, Easytown clubs are being haunted by a serial killer. But most don't care as long as the tourist still come with the money they bring. All that is but one police detective, Zack Forrest, and even an attempt on his life won't stop him. Zach is like a dog with a bone, he is not going to let go until he has it all figured out, and justice is done.

This is a very interesting book/audiobook with all the Artificial Intelligence (AI) and all the varying types and levels of AI.
Beverly Laude
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, 2018, sci-fi
I absolutely loved this book! I love the old time film noir detectives ala Sam Spade and the protagonist in this book, Zachary Forrest, reminds me of those fedora-wearing guys. I also love the original movie, "Blade Runner", and this book reminded me of that movie many, many times.

Futuristic New Orleans has a section called Easytown (probably today's French Quarter)which specializes in sex clubs populated with sex robots. When several patrons and employees are murdered in gruesome ways, Zach has
Carmilla Voiez
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Immorality Clause feels like Bladerunner meets Sin City.

The year is 2099 and after a Nuclear war in the East, the US has suffered from extreme weather changes. The action is set in New Orleans where Detective Zach … investigates murders in the Easytown district, home to bordellos in which many of the workers are robots. His partner is an AI called Andi, who manages even the smallest aspects of his life as well as helping him investigate cases.

His latest case involves a seemingly unimportant
Cmoore
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! It's an action packed blend of SciFi and Noir-mystery that introduces us to Zack Forrest, a hardboiled homicide detective who's assigned to Easytown, the seedest part of New Orleans. It's rife with prostitutes, muggers, people looking to make a quick buck, and murderers... and Zack likes it that way. It makes his arrest record look good.
  The Immortality Clause starts with Zack looking into a string of seemingly unrelated murders with the only commonality between th
Sterling
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good sci-fi murder mystery. This isn’t one of those mysteries where you are able to figure out the killer with the main character, but it was an interesting look at what is consciousness and what do robots and clones feel and think. If you like sci-fi and mysteries then this is a good book to read.
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
hard-boiled post-cyberpunk noir
Brook
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given a free review copy of this audio book, at my request, and am voluntarily leaving this unbiased review.

I listened to this series out of order. Missing this book, I started with book 2 and then book 3 and followed with the anthology collection. The author graciously provided my missing copy of this book so I could round out the series. Thank you, Mr. Parker.

Something about this series really intrigued me. It is sci-fi (cyberpunk) and mystery, and it blends it excellently. This book is
N.V. Cefalo
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
*This book was given to me by the author at my request, and I provided this voluntary review.*

4.5 / 5

I really enjoyed this story. It was a fresh idea from my perspective, as I don't read detective/crime novels that often. The story may not be a new idea (detective in a high-tech future), but the presentation of it was quite the treat. It was gruff and had hard edges to it - not a story for the kids! I loved most of the characters that were portrayed in this story; each were unique and had their
Corey Bourne
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Future police drama

I enjoyed the setting and the characters the detective was gritty and tough. I think a little more interaction with the ladies would be good.
Indie Editor Nancy
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this futurist robotic crime novel involving a place called 'Easytown.' Our hero is a police detective "Zach" and his computer partner is "Andi." Zach is investigating the deaths of people at sex clubs, clubs that have bots for companions. It seems a serial killer might be preying on patrons in the clubs. By why?
"As far as I know, the last time you had sex was eighteen months, twelve days, three hours and nine minutes ago. I think it's time for you to find a companion."
"I
Stacy Bennett
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bladerunner in the Red Light District.

This title is a bit outside my usual fare. I'm not a huge fan of noir or crime novels but it looked intriguing. Unfortunately, it turned out not to be my cup of tea. (I rated it as if it was the kind of book I would like, personal prejudices aside.)

It was a cliche in a slightly over the top kind of way. And though, that is not to my taste I'm sure many would love it. It was very tactfully written for the subject matter, neither too gory nor too timid. It wa
timj26
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great Futuristic detective Story
The setting was perfect and a realistic Look at what the future could look like
Daniels narrating And production really bring the characters To life
If you like your sci-fi with more adult situations I highly recommend this
I received a free review audiobook and voluntarily left this review
Joe Hansen
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read

5 stars because it was fresh, innovative and get paced. I would recommend this to anyone especially sci fy reactive fans. A great story written by a pretty okay but and that's a huge compliment from someone like me.
Mike Norris
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Brian Parker

I told Brian I would take the dive. The book did not disappoint. I look forward to " Tears of a Clone".
Norma
( Format : Audiobook )
"I've always felt an absence of sometbing."
New Orleans some half century into the future after a nuclear exchange has altered the climate, increasing the ice at the poles and generally cooling the weather. Zach Forrest is one of only two homicide cops working Easytown and he's feeling rather stressed when another murder is called in, the fourth in four weeks in the tourist sex district, where droids supply any deviation for a price. Told in the first person from Zach's po
Elena Alvarez Dosil
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review originally published at: https://www.lomeraniel.com/audiobookr...

Zach Forrester is the cop in charge of investigating the still unresolved murders that are taking place in Easytown, the red-light district of a futuristic New Orleans. The only common point is that they are all occurring to clients in brothels of the area, in which services are provided by sex robots. Zach has never liked that kind of technology but this time he must remain closer to it in order to find the serial killer.

Th
Thomas Weaver
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Given the subject matter (the "inciting incident" is the murder of a customer at a sex-bot brothel), I was surprised and pleased by the lack of gratuitous detail in certain scenes. Only once is there a "graphic sex scene" (a recording made by a bot with a customer), but it contains important clues about the murders, so it couldn't be glossed over, and even then, it's not as graphic as it could have been.

Overall, the plot was interesting and did a decent job of holding my attention all the way th
Randall Medlin
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun and entertaining futuristic murder mystery. The characters were well written. The plot was handled well. The resolution was satisfying. I had thought the resolution was going to go a slightly more complicated route, but I am glad it did not.

The narrator did a good job in most aspects. The tone was appropriate. The voices and effects were done well. My only issue was more of a sound/quality issue. Quite often during the course of a chapter the volume would slowly go out. It almost
Floyd
Sep 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was not the target audience for this book.

Ever since reading Neuromancer, I've had a thing for cyberpunk noir. I'm always looking for a story to scratch that itch. I'll just say there is a reason that Neuromancer is a classic.

A great story doesn't draw attention to itself - to have your character commenting on the setting to draw attention to it takes the reader out of the story. I don't need to know this is a futuristic setting; please don't tell me about your self tying shoes. I don't care.
Leigh Ann
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of cop novels or noir novels you will definitely enjoy Brian Parker's Easytown Novel series. The first book, The Immorality Clause, introduces you to Zach Forest, a New Orleans detective. Taking place in the future after a series of catastrophic events the novel involves a world of drones, clones, and enhanced technology.

I really enjoyed the story and the characters in the novel and am looking forward to finishing the rest of the series.

I received this book in exchange for an
NanaShauna Joesten
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Zack is a Police Officer that is on the case and gets himself in some trouble. I love mysteries and this us a fantastic one that grabbed me from start to finish. I hope there is more in the future this series is a fantastic listen.
Shauna Joesten
Billie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok futurisitic detective novel. The story is predictable, but acceptably written. But the world is interesting, the characters are ok.

Just generally an OK story.
Matt
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recieved this for free, with the usual caviates of writing an honest review etc etc. I got a few chapters in, and then bought the entire trilogy - so that should give you an indication of feelings of this book.

Immorality Clause is extrememly will written, and treads to fine line of world building, and actual story telling, with finesse. It mixes Blade Runner (but with less distopia) , a little Raymond Chandler, with the TV show Criminal Minds, and it just works. This was my first introduction
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to The Immorality Clause on Audible and it was absolutely, by far the best audiobook I have ever listened to! I listen to them during my two hour daily commute, so I get through quite a few each year. The narrator doesn't just read the story, he brings it to life! There's nothing cheesy or cringe worthy about how he does each character. He truly is an expert and brought this novel to life with his talent.

The story itself is an intriguing concept that may not be all that far-fetched.

• High Tech / Low Life: An Easytown Novels Anthology
  • The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • L'Incal noir (The Incal, #1)
  • Thor: God of Thunder, Volume 1: The God Butcher
  • Night of the Living Deadpool (The Living Deadpool, #1)
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 1
  • Multiple Warheads
  • Fatale, Vol. 5: Curse the Demon
  • Fatale, Vol. 2: The Devil's Business
  • Once & Future, Vol. 1: The King is Undead

Easytown Novels (3 books)
  • Tears of a Clone (Easytown Novels, #2)
  • West End Droids & East End Dames (Easytown Novels, #3)