Start by marking “The Creative Thinker's Toolkit” as Want to Read:
The Creative Thinker's Toolkit

The Creative Thinker's Toolkit

People are born creative geniuses, right? With a special gene that endows them with inventiveness the rest of us only wish we had?

According to the latest scientific research, that’s hardly the case at all. In turns out anyone can be creative. You just have to know how to think creatively.

In today’s hyperactive world—where bold new challenges can seem to bring about the sam
Audio CD, Great Courses, #5955, 13 pages
Published 2014 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about The Creative Thinker's Toolkit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creative Thinker's Toolkit

Start your review of The Creative Thinker's Toolkit
Peter
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having never really focused much on my creative side that much, I was curious about the 'toolkit' aspect of this course. I've done a few Great Courses audiobooks (technically, audio lectures) and so I knew what to expect in terms of the format and the depth of the content. And I was quite pleased with the course overall. The lecturer goes through quite a few 'tools' to help in the creative process but also delves into a fair amount of theoretical work around the entire process, making sure you'r ...more
Janine Ballard
4.25

This audiobook published by The Great Courses was a fascinating overview of the research into the field of creativity. The author also gives his listeners many tips, strategies and exercises, which are summarized in a 100+ page PDF that comes with the audiobook.

Gerard Puccio, the author and narrator / lecturer, is a Creative Studies professor at Buffalo State University of New York’s International Center for Studies in Creativity. You read that right—there is actually a field called Creative
Nilesh
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-non-fiction
This is a good course summarising many helpful and practical methods that would aid one's thinking process. While the book itself is unlikely to change anyone's life methods in one go forever, but reading books on "creativity" topics or listening to such a course every once in a while provides a good recurring cue to those committed to innovative thinking. There is nothing radical or novel in this course, and the course's utility lies in its uncomplicated simplicity.

This reviewer has a problem
Le Phuong
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I knew that creativity was not all about talents, but also included attitude. However, I was not completely correct. In this book "The Creative Thinker's Toolkit, Professor Gerard Puccio declared that creativity is also about deliberate practice with proper strategies. He was not only preaching. He structured the creative problem-solving skills into science, with principles revolving around the balance between divergence and convergence thinking.

In the first few chapters, he described four prin
Alex
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Defer judgment. Go for quantity. Be open to ideas. Clarify the problem. “A problem clearly stated is already half solved.” Brainstorm with purpose and do not be harsh in the beginning stages of creation. Just try. Get feedback and work with others.

A useful workshop on how to live a more creative life, including how to be a creative leader with the knowledge that your job title doesn’t determine if you are allowed to lead. Be the change you wish to see in the world. Be a model for others and tak
Eduardo Taylor
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great information, practical advise, a lot of review and proven data about how cretivity can be developed.
Brock Ray
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Some good information, but rather pedantic, overall. The lecturer is difficult to listen to, suffering from a strange, Shatneresque rhythm to his speech. Many of the tools seem as though they were added merely to fill the allotted number of lectures.
Bugzmanov
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Actually not very bad. Pretty coherent approach to creativity with fun exercises and solid lessons
Nancy Shaffer
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The examples and emphases in this book were geared sometimes a little too much towards the business world, but the tools can be applied anywhere, from the arts to family life and anywhere else you need creative thinking to tackle a quandary or decision. The speaker encourages cherry-picking through the cornucopia of methods and tips in order to gear it towards your own pursuits, and does take examples from every field of endeavor from fine art to science to parenthood to yes, business decisions ...more
S.C. Barrus
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A wonderful course that changed the way I think about complex problems. Tons of tools are offered to you, each one in great detail. As I made my way through the course, I found some of the later chapters a bit more esoteric and less actionable for my specific situation. If you're in a decision making space in the corporate world, you'll likely find these chapters more in line with your needs.

Despite that, I found the early chapters so valuable that I've gone out of my way to recommend it to peop
Wes Harris
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Incredibly well done. Gerard takes us through great content in an engaging, well-researched, well-cited manner. Loved the section opening stories and his passion for the subject.

I was looking for something that discussed concepts I learned in Engineering Design by Pahl and Beitz in a more approachable fashion and this book was it, and had a lot of new content. Highly recommend the audiobook as it is the lectures by Puccio, it includes a downloadable PDF as well with the content. Great book for
John Allard
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly one of the most important books (well, audio book courses) that I've ever read. I've never really thought of myself as a creative person but Gerard Puccio did what I thought was impossible - break creativity down into a science. He broke down creativity into its various components and showed both when and how to use those components. I saw immediate benefits from this course and plan to continue using some of the exercises that he outlined a few times a week to continue building u ...more
Harish
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After listening to this book on Audible, my approach towards solving problems has completed changed. I understood the importance of the process-oriented methods, involving teams etc in creative thinking.

Its a game changer for me. The narration by the author was very clear.

I made a wonderful choice by buying this book.

My Recommendation: Everybody must read/listen to this book.
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Their are helpful nuggets throughout this course, but it seems to mechanize creativity with its programmatic in its approach. I believe it’s designed to add creativity to more left-brained corporate approaches rather than to deepen a more classically creative endeavor in any real way.
Miguel Pinto
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I took way too long to finish this.
the lesson model was a bit hard to follow sometimes, but the content and tips there presented already helped me a lot when feeling stuck.
if you are in the creative business I recommend this read
Victoria
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I need to listen to this one over and over again and take notes next time!
Faye
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great exercises and examples -- will refer to this one for long time.
Fee
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Very practical information, handy tips and a step by step plan for your next brainstorm session.
Gaili Schoen
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Started off with interesting ideas, but disintegrated into something that felt completely academic, and not creative at all. I was very disappointed
Brooke Lorren
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives lots of ideas for thinking creatively.
J.S. Coombs
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Simply amazing. Lots of exercises, tools and explanations. I love this book and have reread certain chapters time and time again to solve problems at work. Great job.
Mimi
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: video
I am rather disappointed by the materials. It makes me wonder again -- Can creativity be taught?
Joe Nahme
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
worth reading.
Ideation, incubation, etc..
covers a lot of track on creativity.
Troy
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Solid into.
K. Ira
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome in depth book on thinking. Love it.

A few chapters techniques were a little weak, but many good ideas. Most comprehensive I've seen on this topic hands down.
Olivia Bray
Feb 26, 2021 rated it liked it
some good things discussed that are worth consideration and some moments i was just bored.
Anna
Feb 27, 2021 added it
It's fine. Didn't feel relevatory. Not sure if I ever finished it. ...more
Ralph Trickey
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
It presented the material well, not just tools for enhancing creativity, but also tools around narrowing the results and how to use some of the techniques to sell your ideas.
Nick Giordano
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Obviously not a traditional read, this audiobook lecture series is a fascinating look into the specifics of the creative problem solving method and creativity in general.

The 'Tools" Puccio describes for each section can be instantly applicable in your own life, and the PDF course guide that comes with the audiobook is invaluable for additional reads.
Mark
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really strong course for learning more about how each one of us can become more creative... and even reach very high levels of creativity. The teacher leans heavily on research and includes components that differ from person to person. I greatly appreciate this approach. The lessons apply to creativity within many contexts so will help a wide variety of contexts. This does make sense since creativity certainly applies to most areas of life.

I'm better prepared to grow my creativity, thanks to th

• Brain Myths Exploded: Lessons from Neuroscience
  • How Ideas Spread
  • The Devil You Know: A Black Power Manifesto
  • More Than Just a Pretty Face
  • Your Deceptive Mind: A Scientific Guide to Critical Thinking Skills
  • The Rising: Antichrist is Born  (Before They Were Left Behind, #1)
  • The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together
  • Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
  • The History of the English Language (The Great Courses, 2250)
  • Influence: Mastering Life's Most Powerful Skill
  • Surviving the White Gaze: A Memoir
  • Appointment in Samarra
  • The Phoenix of Destiny (Geronimo Stilton and the Kingdom of Fantasy: Special Edition): An Epic Kingdom of Fantasy Adventure

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...