Start by marking “When Morning Comes” as Want to Read:
When Morning Comes

Read Book

When Morning Comes

Zanele is skipping school and secretly plotting against the apartheid government. The police can't know. Her mother and sister can't know.

Her best friend Thabo, schoolboy turned gang member, can tell she's up to something. But he has troubles of his own—a deal gone wrong and some powerful enemies.

Across the bridge, in the wealthy white suburbs, Jack plans to spend his last
Paperback, 1st, 222 pages
Published June 16th 2016 by Tradewind Books

To ask other readers questions about When Morning Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Morning Comes

R.J.
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. What a powerful story! My heart's still pounding. And I learned so much. I knew about apartheid, or thought I did. But the Soweto Riots were new to me. They happened when I was six years old, and so far this is the first thing I've ever read about them.

I loved how different the four MCs (one white, one Indian, two black) were, how they showed the life of Johannesburg and the story of the Riots from such different angles. I loved how raw and real their stories felt -- nothing too neat
Gin Jenny (Reading the End)
When Morning Comes is a terrific YA novel that should be getting hella more attention than it is. It's the story of four South African teenagers on the eve of the Soweto Uprising -- a black girl involved in the planning of the uprising, her friend who has recently become a gang member, a white suburban boy killing time before he goes to university, and an Indian shop-owner's daughter who comes to know all three of them. Raina tells a wonderful story that manages to avoid didacticism entirely: He ...more
Meg Wiviott
Excellent story of Soweto Uprising--the beginning of the end of Apartheid.
Rawan
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Morning Comes has many young voices that draw the reader in and introduce him/her to the Soweto Uprising faithfully. I enjoyed following the character of Zenele. She is strong and determined albeit sometimes careless. But aren't all teenagers. The book challenges the walls built by Apartheid bringing characters from different backgrounds together in one story and letting them speak for themselves.

It's a very enjoyable read and I think it relates to our time, where racism and violence again
Debbie
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Arusha Raina gives a compelling account of the Soweto uprising of 1976, told through the eyes of four young people. This gripping story of a watershed moment in South Africa's history is an important book, it tells a story of apartheid history that can't be recreated in a textbook. Recommended.
Jayne Bauling
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Historical YA fiction, with the Soweto uprising of June 1976 central to the story.
Different kinds of courage are required of four young people. There are the brave teenage girls, revolutionary schoolgirl Zanele, and resourceful Meena, a shopkeeper’s daughter who starts helping out at a clinic, but also serves as a go-between for those pupils organising the mass protest against the “baas law” (the imposition of Afrikaans as the language of instruction), and again later as the leaders are forced
Yandisa
This was my first time reading historical fiction set around apartheid tragedies. Arushi does a sterling job in putting ordinary people in the events leading to and on June 16, 1976. Beyond the iconic Hector Peterson image. The book is a little young , in terms of depth but these were teens so it all fits.
Akie L
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had a very interesting concept. However, I believe it could have been executed much better. Because the book was so short, we didn't have very much time with the characters or to really understand the slang being used. The writing was not bad, just not amazing and that is what really held this book back. The characters went from not really knowing each other to deeply caring about each other and, as the reader, I did not know how or when this happened. Overall, the book is good. An int ...more
Kelly
Without any connection to the characters (all of their voices sound the same), the story didn't do anything for me, so I dropped it. I didn't get the same sense of pacing and adventure other readers did. I found things picked up around the 100 page mark, but by then, I had already checked out. The first 30-40 pages, though, were rough.

grdel
When Morning Comes was published last year by Tradewind Books, a small Canadian publisher committed to multicultural children’s publishing and flew completely under my radar. It’s a timely novel, with nationalism, white oppression and the struggles of the marginalised making headlines in the US and the UK.

I was a child in the seventies, a teenager in the eighties and the anti-apartheid struggle was very much in the news and in our consciousness as we sang along to the Special AKA and stopped buy
Yv
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Morning Comes vertelt het verhaal van vier tieners ten tijde van de Apartheid in Zuid- Afrika. We volgen een blanke jongen van een welgestelde familie, een Indiaans meisje dat de dochter is van een supermarkthouder en twee zwarte jongeren die in Soweto wonen. Terwijl alles in het werk wordt gezet om de 'Soweto Riots' op gang te krijgen, bloeit er een zeldzame vriendschap tussen deze vier personages op.

Ondanks dat het plot niet heel bijzonder klinkt, is het dat zeker wel. Arushi Raina verwer
Jordan Tame
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'When Morning Comes' is a must-read for all South African teenagers.
The fact that Arushi tells the events surrounding the Soweto Uprising using the perspectives of the youth is refreshing and essential.
The topic of apartheid is assessed in the South African Grade 9 History curriculum and often the students feel far removed from the events that took place that shaped our country's history. I believe this novel can bridge the gap and help our youth engage with our past on a more personal level.
Dave April
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling read telling the story of four young people living in Apartheid South Africa leading up to the Soweto Student Uprising.

Fast paced as it switches from character to character, giving their unique perspectives on the rising tensions in their town. Complex and multilayered, with the characters growing as they come to understand each other's different lives.

Gives a primer for people, like myself, with little knowledge of this time in history, but the story is firmly rooted in the lived ex
Mela
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
soweto. quick cuts, deep cuts
Kaylabookworm22 L
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the writing. I also learned some history from reading this book. I am glad I read it.
Dorisq
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Morning Comes gives voice to the many diverse characters in the South African Soweto uprising. It is written from the Points of View of young South Africans of different genders, ethnicities, and economic background. The events of the novel follow the real-life events of the uprisings, interlacing the fiction with much needed content on the history. It is written with simple elegant prose, I started this book and finished it within the weekend, definitely a page turner.
Lara Thompson
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Admittedly I went in fairly ignorant of 70s South Africa, and with so many point of view characters, it took me a little while to get into this book. But once I did...
Incredible story. The characters are done so well with so little and they're all different (except they all believe people deserve hard truths over pretty lies... but that's a small thing and possibly cultural?). So much tension from the very first (admittedly confusing for me) pages.
And the book itself is gorgeous, nice cover and
Mark Smith
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Four distinct voices interweave to bring the 1976 Soweto uprising to life, a painful and seminal moment in the history of South Africa. Realistic portrayals and believable action and tension. The spectre of Apartheid hovers over every scene, but each of the characters embodies resilience in one form or another. Highly recommended.
Mary-Esther Lee
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Set in South Africa, the novel gives readers a glimpse of the student uprising in Soweto in 1976. The events are described from four different perspectives; however, their voices aren't distinct enough, making it hard to tell them apart.
Johnson Luong
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.6/5 stars
Book is really confusing in my opinion. Could've been executed a lot better, but other than that, it's a good quick read I guess.
Madeleine
Arushi Raina is only 24! Wow. Great premise, characters, and research. I can't wait to see what she writes next.
Sarah Winter
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book. Easy read, but quite eye opening. It was good to read about the events of the Soweto Uprising from different young people's perspectives. Definitely a good choice for my students.
Sophia
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Leonor Martinez
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
Jinjoo
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Soweto Uprising is such an important moment in South African history, yet it's difficult to sense the magnitude of it through history books. This book takes on the voices of four different young adults – each with uniquely South African voices – that you'll end up rooting for as though you are personally entangled.

The characters represent different racial segments of the South African population, but they are not typecast. Each has such a distinct voice and sense of humor; you sometimes for
Karla Strand
Feb 16, 2018
Michelle
Sep 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Arushi grew up in Johannesburg, South Africa. So far, She's also lived in Egypt, Nigeria, India, the US, UK, and most recently, Canada.

She likes intricate plots, flawed characters, chases, escapes, and sentences that just make you stop and wonder.

Besides writing, Arushi enjoys travelling, arguments, and long car rides. As a day job, Arushi works as a consultant. One day she’ll explain what that me
“It's the kind of storm that only happens on the highveld, the thunder loud and rapid. Zanele doesn't speak. I need her to. Maybe she is counting the people who have died since we first met.” 1 likes